2011 Official Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i didnt even know we had a F/S selection this year.

where would he go in the draft if he wasnt?

i didnt even know we had a F/S selection this year.

where would he go in the draft if he wasnt?

late to rookie, from the Bomberblitz father/son supermegaultra thread

Tom Fields: 18yo, 189cm kpp, son of Neville. Eligible as a very bottom-aged player in 2010, did not get picked up. Named in the Qld state u18 squad, but I'm not sure if he actually played any games. I'm moving him back to the 'eligible this year' section because he's still listed as a member of the James Hird academy in 2011. Currently playing seniors for Labrador in the NEAFL - 3 games, 3 goals. Was originally not named in the 2011 Qld u18 training squad, but was called in again after Qlds first practise game in the TAC and will play championships after all. Doesn't seem to have played any games anywhere since the champs finished, and I'm not sure what's going on there. Listed as 192cm on the official site. Colour me skeptical on that front. Will attend the Qld state screening for draft candidates.

ant555's review: Has been on the fringe of the Queensland squad for a couple of years but finally got a run this year as an over age player albiet just over age by 12 days.

Has played senior footy for Labrador this year which is a reasonable effort for an 19 year old. Has played mainly CHB or on the bigger forwards. Played against Dandy and Calder in Queenslands warm up games and was pretty good with 23 possessions against Dandy and 12 against Calder and his ball use was pretty good.

He played the first 4 champ games starting with an ok performance against SA before making it into the best against NT and Metro.
His game against NT was a stand out having 27 disposals and kicking a 50 meter goal.
His last champ game against NSW was nothing flash and for the first time he turned a few kicks over but QLD did get smashed that day.

So what do i think, well for me it is a 50/50 call. He has improved a lot, in most games his ball use has been good. He is often fed the ball at half back as he is a reliable kick so his contested possession rate is not always high. Can take a mark but is not the best contested mark going around. Pace reasonable for a bloke his size but nothing that makes you sit up and take notice.
Defense not bad but did struggle in the NSW game and a few times against SA.
If we can use a 4th or 5th round pick on him he could be worth a look at depending on who we move on. I have seen a bit to like but there are still a few doubts.
Late pick or rookie draft.

What about the excitement machines?

I think Maric could be that player, makes things happen when he gets it.
Ill get back to you on this though buddy..

Promise :thumbsu:

HFF have you ever seriously considered getting a job as a recruiting officer or something ?

I would love to get a job doing this type of stuff, is pretty bloody hard to get into from all reports. Only a very select handful of posters have ever gone on to bigger and better things through sharing there insights with the public on here.

what do you make of Markworth as our first round pick at 19 as declared by Knightmare?

I personallly think we should upgrade to get M Grigg, has that Geelong strong body ruggedness about him, a raking left foot and could have an immediate impact at our club, i'd dare say he would almost be the missing part of the jigsaw in our midfield.

I have said for a while that we should try and get ourselves in a position where we have 4 - 5 picks inside the top 40, would put us in a positive position.

late to rookie, from the Bomberblitz father/son supermegaultra thread

Tom Fields: 18yo, 189cm kpp, son of Neville. Eligible as a very bottom-aged player in 2010, did not get picked up. Named in the Qld state u18 squad, but I'm not sure if he actually played any games. I'm moving him back to the 'eligible this year' section because he's still listed as a member of the James Hird academy in 2011. Currently playing seniors for Labrador in the NEAFL - 3 games, 3 goals. Was originally not named in the 2011 Qld u18 training squad, but was called in again after Qlds first practise game in the TAC and will play championships after all. Doesn't seem to have played any games anywhere since the champs finished, and I'm not sure what's going on there. Listed as 192cm on the official site. Colour me skeptical on that front. Will attend the Qld state screening for draft candidates.

ant555's review: Has been on the fringe of the Queensland squad for a couple of years but finally got a run this year as an over age player albiet just over age by 12 days.

Has played senior footy for Labrador this year which is a reasonable effort for an 19 year old. Has played mainly CHB or on the bigger forwards. Played against Dandy and Calder in Queenslands warm up games and was pretty good with 23 possessions against Dandy and 12 against Calder and his ball use was pretty good.

He played the first 4 champ games starting with an ok performance against SA before making it into the best against NT and Metro.
His game against NT was a stand out having 27 disposals and kicking a 50 meter goal.
His last champ game against NSW was nothing flash and for the first time he turned a few kicks over but QLD did get smashed that day.

So what do i think, well for me it is a 50/50 call. He has improved a lot, in most games his ball use has been good. He is often fed the ball at half back as he is a reliable kick so his contested possession rate is not always high. Can take a mark but is not the best contested mark going around. Pace reasonable for a bloke his size but nothing that makes you sit up and take notice.
Defense not bad but did struggle in the NSW game and a few times against SA.
If we can use a 4th or 5th round pick on him he could be worth a look at depending on who we move on. I have seen a bit to like but there are still a few doubts.
Late pick or rookie draft.

I am not completely sold on Fields (just yet).. He will be competing with a few others for that position (Myers, Davis, Dempsey) so may be 'drafted' to Bendigo to follow his progress maybe..

Is not a big ball winner and is not reknowned for his toughness or contested ball, but then again, we seem to make exceptions for family names :cool:

Nic Maric isn't black, HFF.
Neither is Hayden Ballantyne, Stephen Milne, Adam Schneider, Mark LeCras just to name a few.

I would love Maric/Gotch/Anastasio

Guys, with the ne f/s rule we can use pick 137 on him or whatever our last pick is...
Yes, but...
The problem with that, this year is main list spots.
I think we'll clear the decks & have probably 7, maybe up to 8 picks - unfortunately, probably only 3 (+Cram) onto the main list, the rest rookies.

Whilst that is, in one way, a good thing given the weakness/evenness of the draft - another couple of weeks to have a look at some rookies train - it does mean we won't have many pick 137s.

Worth pointing out that we haven't announced if we'll take Fields yet, so I am really just spitballing.

Been thinking about this whole, small forward issue.

I wreckon we could do no worse than throw 22 year old, AFLQ superstar Dayne Zorko a chance.

At 176cm and 76kg he is slight of build but is a tear away quick who is a superstar in the AFLQ competition playing as a midfielder.

I know you may say, "What?", but hear me out. Zorko is very good at reading the ball off the ruck tap, has very good vision and his awareness is actually very good for someone of his size.

I think he could be an Ash Hams type who is a very good midfielder that could become a small forward at AFL level, with the posibility of becoming a midfield rotation.

He is a tough nut, who presses hard against his opponenet and does the team things.

I think we could do no worse than him for a FP type as he has the skills and I am sure, given the chance would take the opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither is Hayden Ballantyne, Stephen Milne, Adam Schneider, Mark LeCras just to name a few.

I would love Maric/Gotch/Anastasio

from what little i have seen of maric/gotch/anastasio i like their styles, the only concern for mine is their size, they're all pocket rocket types but all under and around 170cms and 70kgs, not ideal but can be worked on

Do you know much about Gibson Turner, HFF? Or haven't you seen enough?

Not a bad little player. Only saw limited (interstate) vision of him (against Queensland) but he seems a highly skilled inside midfielder/small forward who is not afraid of getting his hands dirty.

Supremely gifted and has been mooted that about 6 clubs are keen on the kid from Feds.

Any Peninsula boys that look like making the big time, HFF?

Mornington Peninsula boys?

O'Hanlon was spoken about during the week as having his stocks rise in the latter parts of the week.

Kelly & Piva Wright being solid rookie prospects and Darren Minchington putting his name up in lights having finished the year as a very good contributor for the Stingrays in there run to the finals.

Outside the top prospects any ways.

Mornington Peninsula boys?

O'Hanlon was spoken about during the week as having his stocks rise in the latter parts of the week.

Kelly & Piva Wright being solid rookie prospects and Darren Minchington putting his name up in lights having finished the year as a very good contributor for the Stingrays in there run to the finals.

Outside the top prospects any ways.

Matt Buntine - Half back. Strong marking and versatile will be top 20

Nick Haynes - Wing half forward will go also

HFF, I know you were very keen in the latter stages of last year about Luke Potts. Obviously both of us have a bit of an interest from him being down this way, but I didn't follow it a whole lot this year. Still pretty young (21ish I believe) and played most of the year at Frankston VFL. Should we be interested again?

How does young Tom Curran go? What type of player is he? I notice Hawthorn are not going to F/S him. I would love nothing more than having Hawks whinge and moan if he turned into a good player, especially at EFC. :)

How does young Tom Curran go? What type of player is he? I notice Hawthorn are not going to F/S him. I would love nothing more than having Hawks whinge and moan if he turned into a good player, especially at EFC. :)
On Sunday he started forward, did nothing and then went back and Roberts kicked 5 on him. Pass

Been thinking about this whole, small forward issue.

I wreckon we could do no worse than throw 22 year old, AFLQ superstar Dayne Zorko a chance.

At 176cm and 76kg he is slight of build but is a tear away quick who is a superstar in the AFLQ competition playing as a midfielder.

I know you may say, "What?", but hear me out. Zorko is very good at reading the ball off the ruck tap, has very good vision and his awareness is actually very good for someone of his size.

I think he could be an Ash Hams type who is a very good midfielder that could become a small forward at AFL level, with the posibility of becoming a midfield rotation.

He is a tough nut, who presses hard against his opponenet and does the team things.

I think we could do no worse than him for a FP type as he has the skills and I am sure, given the chance would take the opportunity.

I've heard some good things about Zorko. I'm not one to be detered simply because someone is small. If he has talent, and is available later in the draft, i see no harm in going after him.

Thoughts on where (if he does get picked up) in the draft he'd go, HFF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back