2011 Official Draft Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Brad Hill, Fremantle's Stephen Hill's brother. has smashed Jared McVeighs long standing 15.5 beep test record with a 16.1. More importantly, does anyone know if he is a good player? Any chance of being as good as his bro?

Also Elliot Kavanagh (28/30) has topped the Matthew Lloyd Clean Hands test, topped last year by Dyson Heppell and Josh Caddy. Any chance of him sliding to our pick?

Shane Nelson from West Perth has had a near perfect score in Nathan Buckley Kickiing test wit 29/30. Any info on him?

[youtube]5TR1XRHIFy4&feature=feedu[/youtube]

Doddoro's Mouth: I'm happy with the draft pool, I'm confident we can pick up some really good midfielders in this group.

Doddoro's Brain: What a bunch of shite. How are we expected to pluck anything good out when our first pick is 19. I'll have to remind everyone about Heppell last year...

normal_intredasting.jpg

What was Stanton's beep test score this year that everyone raved about?

Stanton recorded a 16.2 beep test which is higher than any of the draft class this year.

Fun fact- Gumbleton when drafted recorded a 15.2 beep impressive considering Tom scully and jack trangrove recorded 15.4 and 15.2 repectively when drafted.

Seems as though we will be focussing on mids at the draft... probably with all of our selections unless we get a project ruckman or another KPP...

Grigg, McKenzie, Crozier seem to be the names linked to us as well as Sam Kerridge with our second pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stanton recorded a 16.2 beep test which is higher than any of the draft class this year.

Fun fact- Gumbleton when drafted recorded a 15.2 beep impressive considering Tom scully and jack trangrove recorded 15.4 and 15.2 repectively when drafted.

Pretty damn good for someone 200 cm tall. Just makes me more depressed that he can't get on the field.:mad:

Hey guys this is who i'm liking
1st round
Josh Waldhuter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2yERpzuUhI
From Knightmare
#29 Brisbane - Josh Waldhuter (SA - Mid)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 15/03/1993
Recruited from: Central District
Style: Patrick Dangerfield
Player comparison:
Range: 10-45
Profile: Has been good over the past two or three years at U18 level for SA. This year seemed to get overshadowed by the efforts of Grigg. Probably didn’t quite get the numbers I was hoping he would get but still is among the better midfielders in this year’s draft. Physically very mature and ready to play now. Strong tackler and gives those multiple efforts. Attack on the ball is absolute insanity and is really unrivalled in this regard. Has nice penetrating kick. Speed good also very good for an inside player. The criticism with Waldhuter is that he probably doesn’t get enough of it for my liking, but with greater inside minutes this should change.

Chris 25
#27 GWS - Josh Waldhuter (184cm midfielder - Central Districts)
After bumping Waldhuter up the rankings a bit, I think I've successfully hyped him up and can now put him back to a more realistic 25-30 range. Waldhuter is as inside as they come in this draft. Highly rated SA midfielder, but was overshadowed by Grigg in the Championships. He is a tough midfielder and a very good kick, but he also has a decent turn of speed. Outside of the top few, Waldhuter is likely to have the most immediate impact. AFL Comparison: Brent Moloney.

Toadvine
Joshua Waldhuter
15/03/1993 H: 184 W: 83 Local Club : Central District/Willaston

Not a shock selection but I'm very happy to grab Waldhunter at this point in the draft. Josh is a versatile midfielder who is very good at winning the contested ball but also quite capable on the outside with above average foot skills. Richmond fans will love his competitive nature, booming kick and aggression on field.

Waldhunter is clever around the clearances, he enjoys hitting the pack at pace to clear the ball or squeezing the ball out of tight situations with clean hands. Josh also works hard the other way laying some impressive tackles during the champs a trait not seen enough in junior footy in my opinion.

He doesn't mind the rough stuff either if he feels he needs to get his point across to the opposition.

Came into 2011 highly rated but it's fair to say he has fallen short of expectations while being over shadowed by highly rated prospects in Wingard and Grigg. An early second round choice is about right I think. Very good inside but needs to work on finding more easy ball and his consistency from week to week.

2nd Round Marley Williams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga4_TxU2cKY

Knightmare
#46 Hawthorn – Marley Williams (WA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 22/07/1993
Recruited from: Claremont Football Club
Style: Paul Chapman
Player comparison: Alex Fasolo
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Real angry ant. The thing that stands out with Williams is his super long kicking. Final game of the champs off one foot showed his penetration with a huge 55m bomb off one step for the goal. Looked routine. Has a really strong build and seems like that Alex Fasolo type where he could play in from season one. Has really nice speed for someone with such a solid build. Really like some of the hard bumps and team things he does off the ball. Enjoys chasing and harassing. Endurance needs some work but with time in the AFL system that will come. Can Paul Chapman style lose his temper and be undisciplined but hopefully that energy can be harnessed over his career and put to better use.

Chris25
#39 Sydney - Marley Williams (181cm midfielder - Claremont)
Another kid who I probably rate a little more than others might. He is a strongly built midfielder/forward, but does have an impressive turn of speed. There is no denying he has natural talent, and there was one play in particular during the Championships against SA which they showed this - one handed contested mark, followed by a 55m goal off one step. I can see him debuting early, just needs to keep putting in the work. AFL Comparison: Michael Walters.

Jonts
Pick 36 Marley Williams
Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB 22/07/1993
Recruited from: Claremont (WA)
Style: Lewis Jetta (more solid)
Expected Range: 35-rookie

Bio: Could be seen as a bit of a reach here but I think he has the talent to justify it he just needs to work on his work rate. Wasn’t seen at state level until this year what may put off some recruiters using a second rounder on him but I think he is worth it by what he is doing at Claremont.His strength is his kicking as this left footer can easily hit a target from 50-55 out. Marley is a goal kicking midfielder who has been rested up forward throughout the champs. Had a breakout game against NT where his class shined through as he looked at home in a midfield of O’Meara and Coniglio. Uses his pace for great affect and is a known talker on the field, could play from round 1 and doesn’t need to hit the gym to help his arms.
Plays: Half-forward/middle

Would love both these guys IMO(Although it only from other opinions and youtube clips:p) they would be great fits a inside mid with good speed and skills, hard tackling and although he does need to work on his outside game with the likes of watson and hocking i'm sure they can show him the way.

And the other a hard quick outside wing/forward that can kick goals i'm drooling already what do u guys think( Lets bring this thread back to life)!

Hey guys this is who i'm liking
1st round
Josh Waldhuter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2yERpzuUhI
From Knightmare
#29 Brisbane - Josh Waldhuter (SA - Mid)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 15/03/1993
Recruited from: Central District
Style: Patrick Dangerfield
Player comparison:
Range: 10-45

Any inside mid option is going to get a lot of love on this forum :D and rightly so.

Rookie draft, you mean?

Yeah, the rookie draft (Saad is increasingly likely to be pre - listed by GWS).

A couple of names to look out for in the later stages of the main draft and in the rookie draft are:

- Gibson Turner
- Marley Williams
- Anthony Anastasio
- Nick Maric

For the record, I want Sebastian Ross! Is able to do it inside, but has beautiful silky skills outside. Loves tackling and has a very nice size already (187cm, 82kg). Would love him with our second round pick but think he will be gone. Cousin of Jobe too, but don't let that stop us from getting him.

I also think there are a couple of very useful small defenders that could/should be looked at and available in the third round. Have a look at Josh Tynan, Louis Egger and Steve Rusca.

I also think that there are a couple of ruckmen worth looking at in the rookie draft. Leif Cope was around the mark last year, Jay Lever sounds a likely type as a ruckmen that includes "strengths are, kicking speed, agility, positioning and marking" should be looked at IMO. Whilst the last of my ruckmen to target is Ben Brown, although injury plagued, he has shown the ability in glimpses to be a young man with immense talent. Could go later in the draft or on traded from the Giants (as he nominated last year).

Could also include some likely tall forwards we could look at, but we may do this in the rookie draft with some mature age talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back