2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Potential Draftee & Trade Watch - 2011

can we please trade Mark Blake, no good for us anymore, rather grab another young gun.
Would Tom Lonergan be delisted? He's not playing well....

can we please trade Mark Blake, no good for us anymore, rather grab another young gun.

Your kidding me, did Buddy kick 10 last week, no, because Tom stuck to his guns and Chris Scott had the brains to stick with his man although the umps were red hot for Buddy early, as we knew thet would be.
Lonergan is an auto inclusion every day.

As for that guy from Port, if he won their 3km tt, he's sure got a deep tank, but how good is he?
Like his size.

Thanks for that. I remember the situation now with GC. They were a cagey as henhouse foxes last year. Doubt GWS could match them.

It seems GC may now put P4 in play for an experienced player, although this may just be an ambit claim seeing what gets floated. But if they do , I wonder if they feel they stuffed it up. Last year they had 16 guys they could pick now they trade for someone?

With GWS , they seem happy to gather old farts and embryos.Maybe its due to the two year span for out of contract players. I wonder who they have in mind for their Danny Stanley type. Mature body ready to play etc. Someone like Simpkin would be good for them imo. Perhaps with another player we may be able to work a deal.

I reckon GWS can match them, largely because with the lack of depth in the draft, a lot of clubs will want some of the good state league players and will probably be prepared to may more than clubs did last year for the pre listed players. If GWS doesn't feel it needs to keep them all, it could get some decent picks in return.

On GC it seems more like McKenna himself wants more senior bodies, particularly a forward, but I'm not sure that Clayton agrees given his recruiting stategy last year as you point to.

I think the GWS thing is that they want some experienced players to hopefully lessen the large losses which the AFL wouldn't want as much of in that market, but they want guys who are guaranteed to be off the books by 2015 when their salary cap reduces and kids need pay rises. I can see the logic, although punting on over 30's bodies and form holding together may well backfire.

On Joffa, I wouldn't be against him, but I wouldn't think he'd have the currency on the open market for us to get anything decent in return, given that and given he's clearly on an upward trajectory within his last few years here, knows our system back to front and is pretty much ready to go, we're better off keeping him I'd say.

Firstly, Lonergan is contracted until the end of 2013.

Secondly, what are you on? He's in good form and key defenders isn't exactly something we have a surplus of. Delisting him would be lunacy and is no chance to happen.

Blake has no trade value.

I wonder whether if we win the flag or not in 2011 will determine the clubs direction for drafting and recruiting in November? If we were to win the flag I wonder whether Wells and Scott will be more inclined to "top up" with mature players replacing the likes of Milburn, Ottens, Mooney and maybe even Ling.

Personally I think we have the players in the wings to perform more than adequately here although I do expect that we will fall down to the 4-6 position on the ladder. With West, Duncan, Vardy, Christensen, Motlop, T.Hunt, Smedts, Guthrie, Schroder and Cowan we have a quite a large group of young players that appear at this stage to have the talent to become regular AFL players.

We also have a reasonably well balanced list with regard to age. We have the likes of Mackie and Lonergan that are in the midst of their careers and a senior group comprising Kelly, SJ and Bartel that still have at least 4 years of footy left in them. Even Enright should still have at least 3 seasons left in him.

My question is do we look to trade for senior player/s to cover for say a Ottens or Scarlett in order to stay well and truly in the flag race? Ottens may well finish at years end and Scarlett indicated yesterday that 2012 will probably be it for him. Gillies, unless he really comes on next year, will struggle to play that role as fullback that he was drafted for. Big Dawson has shown signs but is nowhere near where he should be to assume a number one ruck position in a top 4 team. West to me is more your no.2 ruck and a bloody good one at that. Vardy is see more as a KPF who can ruck a bit rather than the other way around.

Do we look to trade for a Hamish McIntosh? Do we have a shot at Brian Lake? Or do we continue to just bring in young talent and develop them the Geelong way which you can hardly fault? With the trading for Ottens we do have a precedent for a targeted trade that was highly successful. Is now the right time to do it again?

I'm not against trading for a ruckmen or KP but it has to suit our short, medium and long term ambitions. That means if we trade for a ruckmen it needs to be a deal like the Brad Ottens.

It's a pretty small pool of players though. Luenberger, Bellchambers, Goldstein, McEvoy, Kruiser, Naitanui and that's about it. Most of those are never going to be traded but if any did come up it's worth paying an arm and a leg to get the right structure for the future.

As for the Banner deal. I don't mind getting him for Blake as long as he's on a 1 year contract. The danger for us I think is we'll want to go deep into next years draft as it's apparently quite strong. If we have to many list changes this season we'll be stuck with poor quality players on two year contracts and no room to add players next year.

If we're sure we'd promoting next year anyway I'd be all for promoting Bathie this year. It's not ideal but at least then we wouldn't need to go so deep into a weak compromised draft and give a two year contract to a sub standard player.

I wonder whether if we win the flag or not in 2011 will determine the clubs direction for drafting and recruiting in November? If we were to win the flag I wonder whether Wells and Scott will be more inclined to "top up" with mature players replacing the likes of Milburn, Ottens, Mooney and maybe even Ling.

Personally I think we have the players in the wings to perform more than adequately here although I do expect that we will fall down to the 4-6 position on the ladder. With West, Duncan, Vardy, Christensen, Motlop, T.Hunt, Smedts, Guthrie, Schroder and Cowan we have a quite a large group of young players that appear at this stage to have the talent to become regular AFL players.

We also have a reasonably well balanced list with regard to age. We have the likes of Mackie and Lonergan that are in the midst of their careers and a senior group comprising Kelly, SJ and Bartel that still have at least 4 years of footy left in them. Even Enright should still have at least 3 seasons left in him.

My question is do we look to trade for senior player/s to cover for say a Ottens or Scarlett in order to stay well and truly in the flag race? Ottens may well finish at years end and Scarlett indicated yesterday that 2012 will probably be it for him. Gillies, unless he really comes on next year, will struggle to play that role as fullback that he was drafted for. Big Dawson has shown signs but is nowhere near where he should be to assume a number one ruck position in a top 4 team. West to me is more your no.2 ruck and a bloody good one at that. Vardy is see more as a KPF who can ruck a bit rather than the other way around.

Do we look to trade for a Hamish McIntosh? Do we have a shot at Brian Lake? Or do we continue to just bring in young talent and develop them the Geelong way which you can hardly fault? With the trading for Ottens we do have a precedent for a targeted trade that was highly successful. Is now the right time to do it again?
I wouldn't have thought so. Going back to when Scott was appointed, the message out of the club was pretty clear: we think we are still in the hunt but we appointed this man because we think he is the man to regenerate the list in the long term. Thinking about how many kids we debuted this year...it's extraordinary. The only players who have not gotten games this year (excluding rookies) are Drum, Blake, Smedts, Horlin-Smith and Schroder. Given that we've still been really succesful while adopting a youth-orientated policy, not sure why we'd got the top up. Would much rather get games into the 08-09 draftees so they're around 50 when the class of 99 starts to retire.

I wouldn't have thought so. Going back to when Scott was appointed, the message out of the club was pretty clear: we think we are still in the hunt but we appointed this man because we think he is the man to regenerate the list in the long term. Thinking about how many kids we debuted this year...it's extraordinary. The only players who have not gotten games this year (excluding rookies) are Drum, Blake, Smedts, Horlin-Smith and Schroder. Given that we've still been really succesful while adopting a youth-orientated policy, not sure why we'd got the top up. Would much rather get games into the 08-09 draftees so they're around 50 when the class of 99 starts to retire.

I am all for continuing to regenerate the list through the draft. I just thought that there may be an opportunity either this year or next to trade for an established player in order to continue to challenge for a flag. With Ottens and Scarlett we have two players who are fundamental to us achieving a premiership. Assuming our younger players continue to develop and our more seasoned players don't fall away too much then by replacing either one or both with more seasoned players we may well pinch another flag over the next few years.

I know that Scarlett is irreplaceable but we may be able to trade for a Merrett type (not saying he would be available but someone like him) - like Collingwood were able to grab Tarrant last year.

As I say it's not wholesale trading that I am advocating, more just targeting a particular type that may enable us to challenge for a few more years to come.

I can't imagine us 'topping up' in the sense of specifically picking up mature age players to try and win more flags in the short term. As jester pointed out, Cook et al were pretty clear Scott was the coach for the long term, and he's been pretty clear that this is what he's focused on, and we're very good at developing youth through our academy, and we will keep doing so. Having said that I don't think this rules out us drafting (or trading) an older player, for example if Wells rates the best tall in the draft as Mohr or Blee, and we need a tall, he'll still grab them even though they are 21-22, but it won't be because they are perceived as more ready to go specifically, it will be because they are the best player of that type in the pool.

I wouldn't rule out trading, partly because historically the best talls tend to go in the top 10 and we may not have a lot of those picks, and even with a bit of a slide as guys retire, so if the right high quality tall comes up, you would consider it. Additionally with 4 or so retirements this year, and maybe another 4 or so next year, plus 2 new guys going onto the vets list (replacing Dasher this year and Scarlett after next year) we will have a fair amount of room in the cap, maybe not long term we won't if the 08 and 09 classes become very top line players, but short term we will have the room so I certainly wouldn't rule out us trading for the right player, but I'd be very surprised if we traded for anyone over 24-25, it would still be a young player we'd target in line with Scott's long term thinking. When we're really looking long term it's a waste to spend a lot of money and picks on a quality player 27 or 28 who will be on the decline or close to retirement by the time we're having our next long term period of challenging. But if you can get someone of real quality who is Selwood's age, then it's worth having a real dip at them.

I'm not against trading for a ruckmen or KP but it has to suit our short, medium and long term ambitions. That means if we trade for a ruckmen it needs to be a deal like the Brad Ottens.

It's a pretty small pool of players though. Luenberger, Bellchambers, Goldstein, McEvoy, Kruiser, Naitanui and that's about it. Most of those are never going to be traded but if any did come up it's worth paying an arm and a leg to get the right structure for the future.

As for the Banner deal. I don't mind getting him for Blake as long as he's on a 1 year contract. The danger for us I think is we'll want to go deep into next years draft as it's apparently quite strong. If we have to many list changes this season we'll be stuck with poor quality players on two year contracts and no room to add players next year.

If we're sure we'd promoting next year anyway I'd be all for promoting Bathie this year. It's not ideal but at least then we wouldn't need to go so deep into a weak compromised draft and give a two year contract to a sub standard player.

Yeah agree with all that, and it's why I'm not expecting wholesale list changes this year, makes much more sense to keep your Gillies and Motlop's and Hogan's etc etc for another year, and if they don't progress then delist them in what looks like a stronger draft. While some guys will retire on their own, as Scarlett has signalled, the club will not want to be in the position where if the draft turns out to be very strong and Wells wants more picks, but guys like Corey and Chapman are still playing well, that they have to be pushed to accomodate that, and they'll want to spread the retirements out over 3 or so years if they can rather than have heaps at once. Combine that with our very late picks this year and it doesn't make much sense to make too many changes.

I certainly would like to see Bathie promoted as I agree that if the club thinks he'll make it then why wait to have to do it in 12 months anyway, and also I think a guy like he or Walker would benefit from coming onto the senior list and being able to be drip fed some games next year alongside the older guys (especially Scarlett) while they are still here. Although as I've said elsewhere, we're down one rookie slot if we elevate Bathie and they know because of Menzel that they can elevate him anyway if he plays well in the NAB Cup, so he might get left on the rookie for another year, though I'd like to see him elevated.

Thinking back to the Ottens trade, it was our line of thought that we lacked a Key forward to take us all the way. We had our really good group of young players that we thought would do the job for us. We had the rucks covered with King and hopefully Blake down the track but it was really our tall forward options that we needed to improve on. Especially with Graham going.

So top up is one way to describe it but maybe list correction is another. The talls that we had drafted had not come up to the standard of the mids and backs.It was not a duct tape job , the type of fix that happens thru a car race , anything to keep on the track. A car with wobbly wheels and bits falling off and we wack a bit of duct tape on it to keep it going. I know that nots what your advocating but once you start to top up its easy to start down that path.

So to bring anyone in now one would have to be very careful not to get sucked into the vortex of avoiding the pain of youth because its this pain that gives sustainable life. Pods is probably an example your idea that has worked , but with the group another two or three years on Im not sure we would want to add too many 28 year olds.

My preference would be to do what we have mostly done the last decade.
Try to pick the eyes out of the draft , promote from within the project players we rate better than the youth on offer and if we lose players try to maximise our picks. eg. If SJ got a big offer from GWS or GC and we lose him ( just for a name ) I would would wish him well and try to get the best picks or best kids we could get.

Thinking back to the Ottens trade, it was our line of thought that we lacked a Key forward to take us all the way. We had our really good group of young players that we thought would do the job for us. We had the rucks covered with King and hopefully Blake down the track but it was really our tall forward options that we needed to improve on. Especially with Graham going.

So top up is one way to describe it but maybe list correction is another. The talls that we had drafted had not come up to the standard of the mids and backs.It was not a duct tape job , the type of fix that happens thru a car race , anything to keep on the track. A car with wobbly wheels and bits falling off and we wack a bit of duct tape on it to keep it going. I know that nots what your advocating but once you start to top up its easy to start down that path.

So to bring anyone in now one would have to be very careful not to get sucked into the vortex of avoiding the pain of youth because its this pain that gives sustainable life. Pods is probably an example your idea that has worked , but with the group another two or three years on Im not sure we would want to add too many 28 year olds.

My preference would be to do what we have mostly done the last decade.
Try to pick the eyes out of the draft , promote from within the project players we rate better than the youth on offer and if we lose players try to maximise our picks. eg. If SJ got a big offer from GWS or GC and we lose him ( just for a name ) I would would wish him well and try to get the best picks or best kids we could get.

I think we are pretty much singing the same tune. I'd forgotten about Pods (sorry P_O - I hope you forgive me!!) - but that, with Ottens, are great examples. Pods, having said that, cost us SFA so the likelihood of repeating that would be slim.

I would love to be able to replenish our talls via the draft, but this year with a thin crop of talent and a compromised draft, the ability to do it is seemingly quite difficult. I reckon P_O's suggestion of looking at these mature aged recruits (20-22 years olds) is a very good one. I know nothing about them talent wise but if there is one that appeals then great.

Bathie or Walker may get promoted to reinforce our talls and get some senior game time, the little I've seen of them was reasonably impressive.
Think both will considerably improve by next season, given this was only there introductory season at GFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse the intrusion boys, just wondering if you might be good enough to give your thoughts on George Horlin Smith?

Settled in ok?, performed ok?.....keeper?

Cheers:thumbsu:

Excuse the intrusion boys, just wondering if you might be good enough to give your thoughts on George Horlin Smith?

Settled in ok?, performed ok?.....keeper?

Cheers:thumbsu:

I like the hyphen.

Got crunched in a VFL practice match and missed 8 weeks or so, from then on played some very good footy for the rest of the season. What I like about him is that for a kid who is quite slight he really puts his head over the ball, and is a smart ball user. We played him mainly off half back and his decision making stood out as very much above average to me.

I suspect it'll be at least another 2 years of pre season and gym before we know whether we've got a keeper, but the early signs are good.

I think we are pretty much singing the same tune. I'd forgotten about Pods (sorry P_O - I hope you forgive me!!) - but that, with Ottens, are great examples. Pods, having said that, cost us SFA so the likelihood of repeating that would be slim.

I would love to be able to replenish our talls via the draft, but this year with a thin crop of talent and a compromised draft, the ability to do it is seemingly quite difficult. I reckon P_O's suggestion of looking at these mature aged recruits (20-22 years olds) is a very good one. I know nothing about them talent wise but if there is one that appeals then great.

How could you forget about the awesome JPOD??:eek:

It's ok, I forgive you.

Agreed that it will be hard to find another quality tall that cheap.

This is a hard year to replenish with talls but I do think we have to try, while Bathie and Walker have shown a bit they're still not certain yet and I think it's best to keep drafting talls now and sifting through them and hope a reasonable % of them make it. Certainly we need more depth.

In the KPD for example, a lot of good draft watcher think that Talia's clearly the best (and probably GWS bound) and then there's a bit of a drop off to the rest. Of them probably only Mihocek Lockyer and Kelly do I really like, as well as Boseley, and the rest I'm not that sure on. There's also not a lot of big defenders in the draft, having said that someone like Mihocek might be a good pick anyway because the talent is there and with the age of our defence we could argue we need some more defenders of all sizes, so if he only worked as a third tall but made it in that role that's still a win for us. I can understand why Mohr's come from realtively nowhere 12 months ago to VFL team of the year and DC invite, because apart from a really good year at 195 and 98 he has the size about him that would suit a lot of clubs, including us. Like Smith was last year, he might be a bit of reach with an early pick, but like Smith has done, he may prove to be worth it, we shall see.

I like the hyphen.

Got crunched in a VFL practice match and missed 8 weeks or so, from then on played some very good footy for the rest of the season. What I like about him is that for a kid who is quite slight he really puts his head over the ball, and is a smart ball user. We played him mainly off half back and his decision making stood out as very much above average to me.

I suspect it'll be at least another 2 years of pre season and gym before we know whether we've got a keeper, but the early signs are good.

Good call on GHS, PO, I thought he was a little slow what I saw of him, but then I realized he's calculating his best option, playing in the back half can give that impression, but you're right decision making he's v good and he's tough alright!
I hope they start playing him more midfield next season to see how he goes.

George Burbury is a young clever medium forward who may come on as well, but, we need to clean a few out and look at a couple of new big boys, what with the age of those on the senior list.

Will be v interesting to see who Wells pulls for us this drafting season.

How could you forget about the awesome JPOD??:eek:

It's ok, I forgive you.

Agreed that it will be hard to find another quality tall that cheap.

This is a hard year to replenish with talls but I do think we have to try, while Bathie and Walker have shown a bit they're still not certain yet and I think it's best to keep drafting talls now and sifting through them and hope a reasonable % of them make it. Certainly we need more depth.

In the KPD for example, a lot of good draft watcher think that Talia's clearly the best (and probably GWS bound) and then there's a bit of a drop off to the rest. Of them probably only Mihocek Lockyer and Kelly do I really like, as well as Boseley, and the rest I'm not that sure on. There's also not a lot of big defenders in the draft, having said that someone like Mihocek might be a good pick anyway because the talent is there and with the age of our defence we could argue we need some more defenders of all sizes, so if he only worked as a third tall but made it in that role that's still a win for us. I can understand why Mohr's come from realtively nowhere 12 months ago to VFL team of the year and DC invite, because apart from a really good year at 195 and 98 he has the size about him that would suit a lot of clubs, including us. Like Smith was last year, he might be a bit of reach with an early pick, but like Smith has done, he may prove to be worth it, we shall see.

What is your opinion on Julian Dobosz? I know he played FF in the champs but do you think he would have the ability to play down back? From what I understand the kid hasn't played a lot of footy so you would imagine his upside is a lot higher than some others. With Mitch Brown's future looking dubious anyway, recruiting another KPF may not be such a bad thing anyway.

no way would port let a young player go for blake.

i doubt blake would come here to be insurance? would definately be behind lobbe and probably redden as well.

in any case i doubt banner is going but if he was we would look for something around his worth ( he is a young kid taken with a pick in the late 40's i think?).

I like the hyphen.

Thanks PO:thumbsu:

i was just scouring the ranks to see what SA boys are out there who may not be getting a game and may wish to come home. Sounds like he is doing ok there and someone on our board commented he is only year 1 of a 3 year contract and very happy in catland.:(

What is your opinion on Julian Dobosz? I know he played FF in the champs but do you think he would have the ability to play down back? From what I understand the kid hasn't played a lot of footy so you would imagine his upside is a lot higher than some others. With Mitch Brown's future looking dubious anyway, recruiting another KPF may not be such a bad thing anyway.

I like Dobosz. Real spring, great movement for a guy that size, good below his knees, can mark and convert. Real latecomer to footy so lots of upside.

He's probably got enough athleticism to play back if he learns the more technical attributes, although I wouldn't be a fan of it, generally I don't like 'moulding' players from KPF to KPD and vice versa unless they were genuine utilities at u18 level, I look at guys like Schoenmakers (admittedly Hawthorn are probably only doing it because of injuries) and it doesn't always work, sometimes you're better to leave a guy in his natural position. But that's just my opinion, I'm not saying it's by any means right. Be interesting to see whether we draft a tall back or a tall forward with our first pick, a good case could be made for either.

Thanks PO:thumbsu:

i was just scouring the ranks to see what SA boys are out there who may not be getting a game and may wish to come home. Sounds like he is doing ok there and someone on our board commented he is only year 1 of a 3 year contract and very happy in catland.:(

No worries, I hope George is happy here too, unless we're trading him for Dangerfield :D Only kidding, generally guys don't come home until they've had a few years in the system (although you know the pain of the exceptions like Gunston) so I wouldn't give up hope yet, he may be more interested in a move home when he's 25ish. We will see.

Scott from Fremantle
Brother at North
Bomber at Essendon
Sanderson at Adelaide
McCartney at Bulldogs

A lot of clubs are saying they will be active in trade week so interesting to see if anything comes of those networks.

Scott from Fremantle
Brother at North
Bomber at Essendon
Sanderson at Adelaide
McCartney at Bulldogs

A lot of clubs are saying they will be active in trade week so interesting to see if anything comes of those networks.

Yep, and the perceived lack of depth beyond the top 20 in the draft has a lot to do with it. Expecting a very active trade week and a lot of player for player trades this year IMO.

What do we think of Jack Crisp?

Won the Bushies B&F by a good margin and seems to have a lot to like. For instance this description sounds just like a Cats type player.

Victoria:
Jack Crisp
Club: Murray Bushrangers
Height: 189 cm
Weight: 91 kg
"Represented Vic Country at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. His defensive run and chase down tackles (averaging 3.5 per game) have been a regular feature of his game, along with his overhead marking. His ball handling skills and long kicking are other strengths. He averaged 18.8 possessions and four marks per game for the Bushies in his impressive year in the TAC Cup."

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_...ask=DETAIL&articleID=16918008&sectionID=69677

Apparently has a very good engine and likes to play a tough game of footy.Can kick the ball a fair distance and can take a reasonable mark. Like I said , apparently a lot to like.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back