Draft Review 2011 - Redo the 2011 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

1, wingard is soo overrated, soft front runner who does flashy stuff, will get exposed this year, how he was AA is beyond me
2, brad hill is terrible
3, taylor adams will cement himself as a top 2 or 3 from this draft within 10 weeks of the 2014 season

Christ...

1, wingard is soo overrated, soft front runner who does flashy stuff, will get exposed this year, how he was AA is beyond me
2, brad hill is terrible
3, taylor adams will cement himself as a top 2 or 3 from this draft within 10 weeks of the 2014 season

Well, no.

2, brad hill is terrible

Adams turns the ball over.

2, brad hill is terrible

Wingard went alright for a 'soft front runner' against your mob last year.

Wingard is the clear standout. Won games off his own boot already. I expect him to do that plenty more times in his career.

Ellis has been good for us too. Needs to work on his inside game but very good outside runner.

I really wanted Adams during trade period and still think he'll be one of the best players from this draft. The next Sam Mitchell.

Also like Yeo, Smith, Hill, Coniglio, Tomlinson and Jaksch

Wingard is the clear standout. Won games off his own boot already. I expect him to do that plenty more times in his career.

Ellis has been good for us too. Needs to work on his inside game but very good outside runner.

I really wanted Adams during trade period and still think he'll be one of the best players from this draft. The next Sam Mitchell.

Also like Yeo, Smith, Hill, Coniglio, Tomlinson and Jaksch
Jaksch was 2012, he should be a good player.

Really looking forward to (hopefully) seeing Daniel Markworth at last in Saints colours very soon, after he missed all of last year after a knee reco and was very stiff to not get a game or two in the seniors in 2012, after some really good showings in the VFL (Watters apparently said last year he regretted not having given him a taste in 2012). There was quite a bit of hype on him going into that 2011 draft and some, like Knightmare and chris25, were at times tipping him to go 1st round, after improving rapidly that year (in his first year of TAC Cup, having not taken footy all that seriously prior to that), but he ended up lasting into the 30's.

Saw him up close yesterday at the open training session and he's a terrific size (would be at least 190cm) and shape now (http://i.picresize.com/FnM), after coming to the club super-skinny (almost certainly the reason he was held back in 2012) and he's champing at the bit to play again, having been back to full-fitness since before the end of last season, from memory. He's a pretty exciting one to watch, with serious speed and a bit of flair and has really good character.

Looking forward to seeing which of this draft class really step up in their 3rd year in the system this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really looking forward to (hopefully) seeing Daniel Markworth very soon in Saints colours at last, after he missed all of last year after a knee reco and was very stiff to not get a game or two in the seniors in 2012, after some really good showings in the VFL (Watters apparently said last year he regretted not having given him a taste in 2012). Some, like Knightmare, were tipping him to go 1st round in the 2011 draft, after improving rapidly that year (in his first year of TAC Cup, having not taken footy all that seriously prior to that), but he ended up lasting into the 30's.

Saw him up close yesterday at the open training session and he's a terrific size (would be at least 190cm) and shape now (http://i.picresize.com/FnM), after coming to the club super-skinny (almost certainly the reason he was held back in 2012) and he's champing at the bit to play again, having been back to full-fitness since before the end of last season, from memory. He's a pretty exciting one to watch, with serious speed and a bit of flair and has really good character.

Looking forward to seeing which of this draft class really step up in their 3rd year in the system this year.
I remember the wraps on him pre-draft were pretty good. Would be good to see what he can do at AFL level.

I remember the wraps on him pre-draft were pretty good. Would be good to see what he can do at AFL level.
Indeed. I just found this article on him from back then in the HS and they were also talking him up as a legit first round prospect (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-show-his-talent/story-fnau1fjg-1226175575353) and compared him a bit to Fyfe (as tends to happen with any "tall HF flankers" these days! :rolleyes::D). Back then chris25 compared him to Isaac Smith a few times and I think that might be a slightly better comparison. I also note that TAC Cup Future Stars had him at 14 in their mock draft in early October that year (according to a thread on it on here from that time) so yeah, he was getting some wraps and a bit of hype.

He had a really good patch of games in the VFL around the middle of the 2012 season where he did some really good and some eye-catching stuff, but I don't think we picked him in the seniors because of how skinny he was (although from memory he was emergency for about 7 straight weeks) and then he had 20+ possies and kicked 3 goals in Sandringham's VFL final loss later that year and was expected to see plenty of senior action for us in 2013, but did his knee on our altitude camp in the US over that preseason and missed the year.

Hopefully he hasn't lost any of that speed or agility that set him apart from most. He was meant to be freakishly fast over that first 5m, in particular, which of course helped him to get separation on the lead, or in a pack and was also meant to be quite evasive through traffic.

2, brad hill is terrible
So basically anyone that doesn't play for Collingwood is shit?

2, brad hill is terrible
Great call (Y)

Averaging 20.6 disposals, 5 marks and 3.5 tackles per game. Looking the goods.
If he was playing the sort of football he is for us in a contending team he'd be rated very highly indeed, I reckon. His ability to see and hit targets up to about 55m away is very good.

He is a jet. What position do you see him playing in the future?

He is a jet. What position do you see him playing in the future?

From my point of view Newnes is best suited to playing as an outside midfielder whether that be on a back flank or wing. He's a bit taller than the 184cms he's listed at and competes quite well verse medium-tall forwards so he's a good size. Ideally the club sees him transitioning into the midfield but I don't see Newnes as being overly quick of mind or by hand in tight contests. I favour him playing out wide where he can use his running power and spread, which is very good, to compliment his long kicking outside of defence or inside our forward 50. If I had to compare him to a current player I liken him to Shannon Hurn without quite the kicking power but still very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 2011 - Redo the 2011 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back