2012 Australian Open: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quite looking forward to watching Deliciano take on Nadal. Not that I think he of the luscious backhand will have much success on this surface.

Mugfils out and the Bryan Brothers looking like they'll be bagelled in the second set. Been a great 24 hours.

Quite looking forward to watching Deliciano take on Nadal. Not that I think he of the luscious backhand will have much success on this surface.

Mugfils out and the Bryan Brothers looking like they'll be bagelled in the second set. Been a great 24 hours.
:thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Glad there's someone else who can't stand Monfils, what an absolute clown he is. For some reason our crowds adore him, so glad he's out.

:thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Glad there's someone else who can't stand Monfils, what an absolute clown he is. For some reason our crowds adore him, so glad he's out.

You can understand why, he's an entertainer with the way he plays with his bizarre shotmaking and his atheltic ability, it does make for exciting tennis at times. I do like seeing him playing well because it's enjoyable to watch. But yeah he is a mental midget and it looks like he will always will be, I'm unsure how Rasheed stuck with him for so long. I would imagine it would be frustating as a coach. The match last night was downright hilarious for me (by both players) but coach must be tearing his hair out.

BTW, how was the Open, Drummond?

Bryans up a break and looking good in the 3rd.

You can understand why, he's an entertainer with the way he plays with his bizarre shotmaking and his atheltic ability, it does make for exciting tennis at times. I do like seeing him playing well because it's enjoyable to watch. But yeah he is a mental midget and it looks like he will always will be, I'm unsure how Rasheed stuck with him for so long. I would imagine it would be frustating as a coach. The match last night was downright hilarious for me (by both players) but coach must be tearing his hair out.

BTW, how was the Open, Drummond?

Bryans up a break and looking good in the 3rd.
Fantastic mate, really enjoyed it, probably more so this year than any other.

They made a lot of improvements to the venue. I assume you went too?? But they expanded Grand Slam Oval (bigger area, two entries) and made it a million times easier and quicker to get from the Hisense side to the RLA side. Major props to them for doing that as it was ridiculous the last two years, but this year there was tons of space. They also had quite a few more big screens for the fans to enjoy and to relax, as well as more areas where you could sit and have a meal. They upgraded the scoreboards on all the show courts as well as court 6, and adding Hawkeye to MCA was brilliant. I knew that was coming but thought it’d only arrive when they’ve completed it’s renovation. Overall it was a lot more fan friendly this year, much more than past years, and it’s actually made me a bit anxious about the redevelopment as I feel like they’ve finally got it just about perfect.

Unbelievable crowds, has to set an overall AO record surely? The only complaint I have is the scheduling on Friday, appalling. There were no matches on, anywhere. I know that by Friday there isn’t a stack of matches, but they could’ve arranged it better. Hewitt/Luczak vs the Bryan’s on SC3?? A 3k seat court vs 7k of MCA? There were huge line-ups and you couldn’t get a seat, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t put it on MCA. To make things worse, MCA was empty as they had finished the day session. Why wouldn’t they put a singles night match on MCA on Friday? Instead they had mixed doubles, cmon... Friday and Saturday they made some strange decisions that’s for sure.

As for the tennis, it was great. Had Hisense tickets for Mon-Thu, and I actually decided I’d just plant myself there for the majority of the day instead of going here, there and everywhere. Of course I went out a few times when the Hisense match I had zero ineterst in, but most days I just stayed there. Had fantastic seats too, four rows from the front, so that helped. Got there before the start of match 1 and generally stayed until there were no matches left! Murray/Harrison was probably my favourite match, got tickets to Tomic’s match against Querrey too, Caro’s 2nd round match was a lot of fun too, as was Lisicki destroying Peer and Kuznetsova/Stephens was surprisingly awesome. Stephens has a ton of talent.

How about yourself??

:D You're such a moron. Glad I've been away from these threads where idiots like you post trash. :thumbsu:

I was enjoying reading it until you had to chime in ffs, I thought you were gone forever. where is your boyfriend?

lol, like the post above, such an oxygen thief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of Vika haters out there.

She is sort of starting to parallel Djokovic if you ask me.

Yeah, I can kinda see that. But anyone would (quite rightfully) be scolded for suggesting that she will go on to win a whole bunch of slams soon.

My favourite thread was the one where she apparently 'cheated' for having a practice serve following a DF. Didn't know doing that gave you an advantage.

Fantastic mate, really enjoyed it, probably more so this year than any other.

They made a lot of improvements to the venue.
How about yourself??

Done it a bit differently this year, bought myself a ticket to the men's final, wanted to say I had been to a grand slam final in my lifetime so forked out the $400 bucks for a pretty crappy seat but I really can't wait for it, hoping for a Federer/Djokovic final, would be a good match. So I didn't take this week off work as I took next week off but have managed to go a couple of days this week with ground passes on the Monday and Wedensday.

You know I actually didn't take a look at Grand Slam Oval on either day (spent all day watching tennis), good to hear they have made improvements there, it did take forever to get from one side to another. I'll have to take a look next Sunday. But yeah, they have done some improvements, I was curious to see how it looked but good to see improvement in scoreboards (makes me think we'll have Hawkeye on a lot more courts in the future). Also, having a pass to members lounge was ncie to sit in there and cool down but never having food from there again, made me sick Monday night.

The one thing that got me, was very noticable with the ground pass, the crowds were huge, they have increased to the size where getting a ground pass the night before Saturday is now impossible. Getting a seat on MCA even on Monday and even when there isn't an Aussie playing is almost getting impossible. It's a good and a bad thing but with the roof in a few years time, seating will be impossible and arguably you would almost might have to make it a ticketed venue as much as I hate that. Still plenty of action elsewhere so you are always able to find something, just not as easy to get a good seat anymore.

Highlight would have to be seeing the Isner/Nalbandian match, great thing about big crowds is the amazing atmosphere and it was crazy in that 5th set. Was hoping for a 70-68 set again, haha. But yeah there was a lot of drama and Isner just played some clutch tennis when he looked down and out, disappointed he lost to Lopez in the next round. Saw Fish get upset by Falla as well, me and a mate were just amazed at how bad Fish's forehand can be. And Falla was tight as a drum in that 3rd set and some how still won it. Saw mainly aussies on the first day, Dellacqua is looking fitter but Jovanski played hilariously bad. Dogoloplov was even worse in that first two sets against Jones, that was a strange one. Ben Mitchell ahs got some talent, give a couple fo years and Ash Barty was understandably very nervous throughout. But yeah, those two days went very quickly. Will have to get a Hisense series ticket I think next year...

TBH I think that the real problem has been making Hisense ticketed. Now, there are a lot less top matchups to see if you're a groundpass holder and the popularity of MCA is much higher.

Much preferred it when RLA was the only ticketed court.

TBH I think that the real problem has been making Hisense ticketed. Now, there are a lot less top matchups to see if you're a groundpass holder and the popularity of MCA is much higher.

You're right, it has made the popularity of MCA much higher but the lines to get into Hisense would be too massive if they did allow ground passes especially when it's a hot day or even worse a rain or heat delay. The year before they made Hisense fully ticketed, we have a few heatwave days where the roof was closed, people were just lining from everywhere trying to get in but no one else wanted to leave.

According to the statistics so far Radwanska has only hit 2 unforced errors and 7 winners.

I can't help but think Goerges is mailing it in right now. Losing games easily.

Yeah I didn't think of the roof factor. It's annoying though. I went for a couple of days this week for the first time in many years, and I really missed being able to see any match I wanted with my RLA ticket.

Done it a bit differently this year, bought myself a ticket to the men's final, wanted to say I had been to a grand slam final in my lifetime so forked out the $400 bucks for a pretty crappy seat but I really can't wait for it, hoping for a Federer/Djokovic final, would be a good match. So I didn't take this week off work as I took next week off but have managed to go a couple of days this week with ground passes on the Monday and Wedensday.

You know I actually didn't take a look at Grand Slam Oval on either day (spent all day watching tennis), good to hear they have made improvements there, it did take forever to get from one side to another. I'll have to take a look next Sunday. But yeah, they have done some improvements, I was curious to see how it looked but good to see improvement in scoreboards (makes me think we'll have Hawkeye on a lot more courts in the future). Also, having a pass to members lounge was ncie to sit in there and cool down but never having food from there again, made me sick Monday night.

The one thing that got me, was very noticable with the ground pass, the crowds were huge, they have increased to the size where getting a ground pass the night before Saturday is now impossible. Getting a seat on MCA even on Monday and even when there isn't an Aussie playing is almost getting impossible. It's a good and a bad thing but with the roof in a few years time, seating will be impossible and arguably you would almost might have to make it a ticketed venue as much as I hate that. Still plenty of action elsewhere so you are always able to find something, just not as easy to get a good seat anymore.

Highlight would have to be seeing the Isner/Nalbandian match, great thing about big crowds is the amazing atmosphere and it was crazy in that 5th set. Was hoping for a 70-68 set again, haha. But yeah there was a lot of drama and Isner just played some clutch tennis when he looked down and out, disappointed he lost to Lopez in the next round. Saw Fish get upset by Falla as well, me and a mate were just amazed at how bad Fish's forehand can be. And Falla was tight as a drum in that 3rd set and some how still won it. Saw mainly aussies on the first day, Dellacqua is looking fitter but Jovanski played hilariously bad. Dogoloplov was even worse in that first two sets against Jones, that was a strange one. Ben Mitchell ahs got some talent, give a couple fo years and Ash Barty was understandably very nervous throughout. But yeah, those two days went very quickly. Will have to get a Hisense series ticket I think next year...

Interesting topic this, very interesting.

I’ve thought about it too. I do wonder what they will do when MCA is a 10 thousand seater with a roof and Hawkeye. That to me screams a ticketed venue, but I’d hate that. For one, since they changed Hisense to a ticketed venue, it’s never full. Never. Even when Rafa was playing Monday it was like 75% full, maybe a tad more, and that’s a shame. Obviously it’s never going to be full because some people will be off having lunch, some will be off at another court, some might have left ect. But when it’s a free for all court like MCA every seat will be taken because it’s for people that want to be there, so there are never free seats. I honestly can’t even remember what Hisense used to be like in its early days and whether it was packed when it wasn’t ticketed. Was it packed?? All I know is that I will ALWAYS buy Hisense over RLA now. You get 4 matches vs 3, and you get better, more evenly contested matches, and you often get better seats as there is less demand.

As for MCA, it’s awfully tough to get a seat and for the first week and especially Friday and Saturday when more families are there, it’s practically impossible to get a seat. If they do make it ticketed though it’ll be a shame as it will rarely, if ever, be full, and the atmosphere will not be as good. I get that it’s something they might have to do, but it would be a real shame.

SC2 was absolutely packed yesterday, it was crazy. Should've seen the lines!! :eek: Especially to see Tomic in the mixed. I got there early that day and didn't move, got to see Cirstea :)rolleyes:), Ferrer (played very well, good to watch) and then Tomic.

I agree that SC2 & 3 look set up for Hawkeye in the future, I think that’s not too far away. And I honestly think they need it, if Indian Wells can have every match court (8 was it?) set up for Hawekeye, then there is no excuse for the Slams not to have every major showcourt equipped with it.

I would've loved to be at Isner/Nalbandian, I was keeping a close eye on the scores on my phone and wished I was there. It's a pity because Tomic/Querrey was on at the same time as that match AND the Dolgopolov 5 setter. I had tickets to Hisense that day so therefore could've seen Dolgo but wanted to see Bernie at least once. I saw Ben Mitchell in the mixed yesterday and although they got smashed, I liked what I saw. He's got a nice service motion, a good athlete, I think he could be something. :thumbsu:

Laughed at Fish's result, that was just hilarious. I am so jealous that you have a ticket to the final, and one of these years I will have to do the same. I just enjoy the first week so much, the atmosphere, the quality players everywhere you look, but I was very tempted to go to the latter stages this year instead. Maybe next year.

What the heck happened to Jovanovski?? I couldn't believe that. And it makes me a little angry when I think that I saw Cirstea in 2008 and it's now 2012 and she hasn't improved. She literally hasn't. And Stosur lost to her. :eek: Cirstea on her day can be tough to beat, but man she is inconsistent and developing into a serious headcase.

All I know is that I will ALWAYS buy Hisense over RLA now. You get 4 matches vs 3, and you get better, more evenly contested matches, and you often get better seats as there is less demand.
Yeah this was my big regret. I bought an RLA ticket without really thinking about it, but once I was there I wished I had gone for Hisense instead. Particularly in the first week, I agree you get far better tennis matches. Would rather see a good match between two less glamourous players than top seeds destroying their early opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back