2012 captain and leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Next year's captain

I've always wanted selwood as captain and even wanted him to take over from harley. I would still love to see him as captain but I dont reckon it would be a bad thing if someone else got the job. I was just thinking maybe times have changed a bit regarding long serving captains, does it get a bit stale after a while? I'd hate to see selwood get it and then stand down after a few years. The person that I believe who has emerged as a captain is James Kelly. Reckon the kids look up to him and he would help guide them through. Iv been waiting for Joel to be captain since he walked in the door but now im thinking it wouldnt be a bad thing if he waited a little longer and then captains for last 5years to see out his career.

The person that I believe who has emerged as a captain is James Kelly. Reckon the kids look up to him and he would help guide them through.

Kelly for mine too. I just think that he is the right person for the job.
Bartel seems just happy to play his role within the team.
Selwood can take the mantle after Kel IMO.

As much as I would love to see Jimmy as captain, it has to be Selwood. Give it to him now and not have to worry about it for 8+ years.

As much as I would love to see Jimmy as captain, it has to be Selwood. Give it to him now and not have to worry about it for 8+ years.

Agreed - that gives us a hella long time to come up with a catchy name like the "Ling Dynasty". Hmmm does that then make the 2011 Premiership cup a priceless Ling Dynasty Vase?:rolleyes:

I think it will be Bartel or Selwood. I have it on good source that Chappy will not be considered, as why he was overlooked last time.

I think it will be Bartel or Selwood. I have it on good source that Chappy will not be considered, as why he was overlooked last time.

He's not even in the leadership group, is he? From what I hear, Chappy just doesn't have the diplomacy required to be a great skipper. Maybe at another club, he'd get a look in, but there's no need at Geelong, where we've probably got six guys who could do the job well.

Selwood is a certainty. Kelly and maybe one other will be his deputy.

Cats Skipper and Leadership group for 2012

(A) Who would be the best player to lead the Cats in 2012?

(B) Who would be the best players for the leadership group?

Give reasons for these selections.

Re: Cats Skipper and Leadership group for 2012

Selwood as captain - from the moment he walked into the door we've heard from the club that he's a natural leader, and has wisdom beyond his years in relation to football and even outside of game day. Now that he's played 100 games for the club he's definitely got the experience, and I noticed on GF day especially he was in every Geelong player's ear at some point during the game, directing traffic or offering encouragement. I think he's ready.

Leadership group: Bartel (VC), Taylor, Enright, Kelly, Varcoe, Mackie.

Jimmy used to be an awkward media performer but always had the respect of the group - He has matured dramatically of late, and I'd say they would have named him the next captain if Selwood wasn't ready - but clearly is now Geelong's number 1 inspirational player.

Taylor is a proven leader in the backline, and represents almost 100 games of experience in only 4 seasons. Intelligent guy and a good role model.

Enright needs no introduction, and is now a senior member of the team - hopefully his influence can be seen in players like Smedts, Guthrie and Burbury in years to come.

Kelly is one of the key components of the cats engine room, and doesn't mind voicing an opinion if one needs to be voiced.

Mackie is similar to Kelly in that he's never short for a few words, and with maturity is a highly underrated cog across halfback.

Varcoe is my left field choice. He's had a reputation of being quiet in the past and of performances that reflect a guy with confidence issues. He really began to blossom in 2011, and I think with more responsibility in the team can take his own game to the next level.

Joel Selwood or Jimmy Bartel for captain, onfield leadership is second to none, lead by example week in, week out. Only question marks would be media performances.

Leadership group would consist of Selwood, Bartel, Taylor, Kelly, Enright, Duncan.

Duncan I feel is the the pick of the "young ones" that has leadership hallmarks, ie. confidence on the field, confidence in decision making, etc. that holds him in high regard amongst his more senior teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood seems a shoe-in for captaincy. Like Jimma as VC given his on-field leading by example attitude. Kelly, Taylor and Enright for the leadership group, can't fault them. still like Joel Corey, but a younger bloke or two may get the nod for future's sake. Not a fan of Varcoe in there, but possibly Duncan as a rep for the younger brigade. Mackie could be the final one chosen otherwise...

i don't necessarily think the leadership group has to be all the 'best' leaders per se. i really think that it is good to have 1 or 2 guys there that may not be the best leaders as of right now but good future leaders and prospects as well i.e. taylor in 2009 (i think) was a bit of a shock as he only had been in the team for a short period of time and guys like chappy and scarlett weren't in the leadership team.

what is West like off field?

i don't necessarily think the leadership group has to be all the 'best' leaders per se. i really think that it is good to have 1 or 2 guys there that may not be the best leaders as of right now but good future leaders and prospects as well i.e. taylor in 2009 (i think) was a bit of a shock as he only had been in the team for a short period of time and guys like chappy and scarlett weren't in the leadership team.

what is West like off field?

Scarlett didn't want to be a part of it after 2006, Chapman after 2007 or 08 I think.

I'm not a fan of co-captains, or even co-vice captains, so with that in mind, here's how I'd pick them:

Captain: Joel Selwood - The prince is cherry ripe to assume the throne.
Vice Captain: James Kelly - Universal respect for how he plays the game. Also a polished media performer (moreso than Bartel/Enright, IMO) and a popular clubman.

Leadership Group: Joel Corey, Jimmy Bartel, Corey Enright, Harry Taylor - Incumbents, who are obviously doing well in the role.

Leadership Group: Andrew Mackie - Time to step up. He's long been acknowledged from within as a marshall in the backline.

Leadership Group: Mitch Duncan - I feel they'll give a young player an opportunity in the leadership group and I think Duncan is the most likely. A very self-assured performer, even at this early stage.

Selwood is only 23 it's inevitable that he will assume the captaincy at some point I just don't think it's next season.

I think they might give the captaincy to Enright, Chris Scott introduced him as the most underrated player in the competition so he obviously has a lot of respect for him. He is two time best and fairest, 4 times all Australian and an important part of our backline structure. Could see him doing a similar seat warming job that Ling did.

Leadership group: Bartel, Kelly, Taylor and Corey. Think they could add Johnson, has grown alot as a player and think he has alot to offer our youngsters. Whether or not he wants the role I have no idea. Also think Mackie could handle himself in the posistion.

CAPTAIN. Bartel. For 2 years while Selwood matures. Selwood is a freak, but only 23,and he is yet to experience hardship. Bartel is respected as THE complete footballer by the whole AFL. He did captain FALCONS, and this team had Luke Hodge. He has just signed a 4 year deal. Would lead by example, maybe like Kelly/ Hayes.Great reward for a local St Joey's boy to keep the tradition upheld. And perfect age

VICE CAPT. Selwood. Natural leader, but only 23, and if he got the job, would be inspirational. Just hope the senior players of our group respected him as much as we do. Just thinking back to the Colbert selection, which was not an overwhelming popular choice according to many of our more senior players at the time. Did not help that he did his knee before being able to captain one game.

LEADERSHIP GROUP.
1. SJ. If he is destined to be the coach they all say he will be, good time to be involved.
2. Kelly. Clever, tough, media savvy
3. Mackie. Oozes leadership. Will take over the Scarlett role in time.
4. Podsiadly. Clever. Mature. Modest.
5. Enright. Every coach needs a player like him.
6. Varcoe. Got invites this year. Natural progression.

Taylor. Great choice, but let him off for a year or 2 with the new baby.

Captain - Bartel. Been the unsung hero for many years and the go-to man time and again in the games that count.

VC - Selwood. Obviously the heir apparent and all part of the succession plan.

For consideration, Hawkins for the leadership group. He's going to lead our forward line going forward post SJ and Pods, a great confidence boost for him personally and he may thrive with the extra responsibility.

Captain - Bartel. Been the unsung hero for many years and the go-to man time and again in the games that count.

VC - Selwood. Obviously the heir apparent and all part of the succession plan.

For consideration, Hawkins for the leadership group. He's going to lead our forward line going forward post SJ and Pods, a great confidence boost for him personally and he may thrive with the extra responsibility.
Agree with all 3 points. Would love to see Hawkins thrive in every possible way. He could be a really scary prospect for opposition. in fact, he is.

Captain - Selwood ....mature and ready.
V.C - Bartel ......admired and respected. Inspiration

Leadership Group.... Enright, Kelly, Stokes, Taylor, Mackie and Corey

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 captain and leadership group

Remove this Banner Ad

Back