2012 Draft - Selections: 10 (Daniher), 34, 51, 53, 73, 88, 101, 106 (Baguley)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Obviously we still have a couple of weeks to go in the Gillette Trade Period, but I thought I would get a Draft thread going to divulge from the Trading Thread we have going. Would also give posters an insight into some of the prospective draft prospects available in the upcoming drafts.

As it stands we currently have picks 10 (Joe Daniher - Father/Son), 32, 48 (from Port Adelaide for Angus Monfries), 51, 69, 87, 105 etc.

Just some names I am throwing out there to get some discussion going about the drafts.

Pick 10: Joe Daniher, 201cm, 90kg KPF, Calder Cannons. WE all know about Joey.

Pick 32:
- Tim Broomhead, 183cm, 73kg, 18 y.o, Port Adelaide MAgpies (SANFL) Utility
- Nathan Hrovat, 173cm, 78kg, 18 y.o, Northern Knights (TAC) Small defender/Mid
- Dean Towers, 189cm, 83kg, 22 y.o, North Ballarat Roosters (VFL) Outside Mid
- Nicholas Graham, 182cm, 77kg, 18 y.o, Gippsland Power (TAC) Utility
- Tim O Brien, 192cm, 81kg, 18 y.o, Glenelg (SANFL) KPF

Pick 48/51:
- Sean Lynch, 184cm, 79kg, 18 y.o, South FRemantle (WAFL) Utility
- Jacob Ballard, 186cm, 82kg, 18 y.o, Northern Knights (TAC) Utility
- Sam Colquhoun, 179cm, 72kg, 18 y.o, Central Districts (WAFL) Small defender
- Jackson Thurlow, 189cm, 79kg, 18 y.o, Launceston (TSL) Utility
- Kyle Martin, 183cm, 82kg, 22 y.o, Frankston (VFL) Mid

Pick 69:
- Alex Howson, 194cm, 82kg, 18 y.o, East Fremantle (WAFL) KPP
- Max Duffy, 189cm, 83kg, 20 y.o, East FRemantle (WAFL) Forward
- Darcy Fort, 201cm, 80kg, 18 y.o, Geelong Falcons (TAC) Ruck
- Lewis Pierce, 201cm, 80kg, 18 y.o, Dandenong Stingrays (TAC) Ruck

I dont think we will go much deeper than that, but these are just some names I would throw out there for some discussion points.

Any one you have heard about and favour in the upcoming draft?

Really like these picks.

Broomhead, Hrovat, Towers and Graham are all players id like at 22 and just about in that order. Id probably pick J.Simpson ahead of Towers if he was available and the first 2 wernt.

My dream would be for a Stringer or Kennedy to slip to this pick rated both to go between 15-25 on afl.com so you never know. These two would obviously come before any of the above 5 mentioned. Oh and Lonergan is also another one that could be around the 20-30 mark and he would be 4th taken out of all these names mentioned.

Ballard is my number one and likely choice at 48/51. Adam Carter and Wright are others if available id consider at these picks. Dont really like Lynch. Colquohn only be playing SANFL reserves without any real dominance however his carnival was exceptional - im not that keen on him although at pick 50 its quite a lottery. Thurlow is interesting gathering something like 45 posses against one of the victorian teams however more as a free man. Could potentially be a 3rd tall defender type who floats around - Goddard could teach him a thing or two.

Id like to take a risk of Max Duffy aswell like many BF posters. Shane Nelson is another id hope we consider as a midfielder accumulator. If we use pick 48,51 and 69 i expect one to be a midfielder, maybe one a dangerous half forward/back utility and one a tall maybe a ruck.

Really like these picks.

Broomhead, Hrovat, Towers and Graham are all players id like at 22 and just about in that order. Id probably pick J.Simpson ahead of Towers if he was available and the first 2 wernt.

My dream would be for a Stringer or Kennedy to slip to this pick rated both to go between 15-25 on afl.com so you never know. These two would obviously come before any of the above 5 mentioned. Oh and Lonergan is also another one that could be around the 20-30 mark and he would be 4th taken out of all these names mentioned.

Ballard is my number one and likely choice at 48/51. Adam Carter and Wright are others if available id consider at these picks. Dont really like Lynch. Colquohn only be playing SANFL reserves without any real dominance however his carnival was exceptional - im not that keen on him although at pick 50 its quite a lottery. Thurlow is interesting gathering something like 45 posses against one of the victorian teams however more as a free man. Could potentially be a 3rd tall defender type who floats around - Goddard could teach him a thing or two.

Id like to take a risk of Max Duffy aswell like many BF posters. Shane Nelson is another id hope we consider as a midfielder accumulator. If we use pick 48,51 and 69 i expect one to be a midfielder, maybe one a dangerous half forward/back utility and one a tall maybe a ruck.
It would be awesome wouldn't it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't rate him to be honest. I just struggle to see him making it.

Can't say ive seen the lad play, but would be a late rounder, and they're always pretty speculative anyway.

I reckon Yoda pretty much nailed it, although I'm gonna throw up 3 personal favourites in pongracic, Simpson and Atkins I to that 2nd round batch (will probably end up being 34-35 in the end).

Agree with Jade that we should target a small forward as well (love you Cory but I don't think you are the answer).
3 I like are Dematteis, Taylor and Warrell, they're all fast as all hell and clean ball handlers with decent goal sense from what little I have seen from each.
All have flaws, but crumbers are usually late-rookie picks so that's pretty standard.

There is also another that I really like, small-medium forward type that can blow games apart on his day...name escapes me ATM.

Edit: it's Louis Herbert, bit of the josh hill's about him. (The wce version)

Do you realise how many players each club interviews?

Sorry quoted the wrong post

I take it you're talking to me?

I realize we are going to be interviewing a stack of players, but this happened a while ago (couple of months maybe) so it wasn't just your standard combine interview. Even then it still means very little.

Im liking NG at the moment.

Managed to get my hands on a tape and he was seriously good. Just looks like a natural footballer with some sersious pedigree. Seems to be the flaour of the month on BigFooty, has propelled from an early 4th round to late 1st round in a matter of months.

Really like these picks.

There is always a 'slider', hopefully we can pounce on one instead of letting them slip through like everyone else..

Broomhead is the interesting one in my eyes, seems to be good at everything without being exceptional. I have really changed my perception of Dean Towers after his testing, knew he was athletically good, not an athltic freak! Really think after his outstanding combine that he will be gone by 32.

I think Ballard sounds like my number one target for 48 too, unless there is a real slider that we can snap up. We certainly need to pick up a ruckmen at 48 or 51 in my opinion. For list management purposes we do. A young developing ruck men would be handy, hence Lewis Pierce or Darcy Fort are my number one ruck targets (because we arent going to get our hands on a top 2 pick for Grundy).

I like the Max Duffy risk too, kid can obviously play, he influenced games in WAFL seniors and ended up with 30 odd goals. Kid can play, that's enough for me. Id back Hird and co to pull his head in should he have a bit of FIGJAM. I would take Kyle Martin ahead of Nelson, another Frankston Dolphin but seriously, he is a ball magnet at VFL level and can go forward and still snag a goal or too.

I have suggested this before, my ideal draft would include;
2 x Key Position Players (Joe Daniher + 1 - some have suggested Tom Fields via F/S rookie draft, but I would think we are on the hunt for another KPF even with Joe coming in)
1 x utility
1 x small forward
1 x small defender with exceptional foot skills
1 x ruckmen
1 x midfielder

These would be spread over the two drafts, but these are the areas I see of most concern (not in that order).

I reckon Yoda pretty much nailed it, although I'm gonna throw up 3 personal favourites in pongracic, Simpson and Atkins I to that 2nd round batch (will probably end up being 34-35 in the end).

Ive seen three of Pongo's game's this year and he has been pretty good in all of them. I am not sure how much more development left in him. He is good, and has played some bloody good footy, reminds me a hell of a lot of Dane Swan. Running style, smarts around the ground, better foot skills and isnt afraid to put his head over the ball. I would prefer a break away midfielder like Rory Atkins who i managed to see a couple of times this year. Kept Calder in a game late in the year with a two goal burst in 90 seconds. Break away pace good, inside midfielder with fairly decent kicking skills, obviously I got him on a good day because Knightmare in particular has him a fair way down the order.

Agree with Jade that we should target a small forward as well (love you Cory but I don't think you are the answer).
3 I like are Dematteis, Taylor and Warrell, they're all fast as all hell and clean ball handlers with decent goal sense from what little I have seen from each.
All have flaws, but crumbers are usually late-rookie picks so that's pretty standard.

Edit: it's Louis Herbert, bit of the josh hill's about him. (The wce version)

I agree and have suggested for a couple of years now that we should pick up a small forward, if I had my way Jamie Elliot (Collingwood) would be be on our list, but none the less, he was pre listed by the Suns and traded to the Pies. We snagged Del and the rest is history, Elliot seems like he can play and Del is a season away from delisting.

Herbert is the interesting one of the three, projects as talented as the top tier but just struggles with consistency. Perhaps we take a risk on him at 69?

I still think we go tall in this draft, we have the small midfielders in particular covered with the guys waiting in the wings, they just need time to develop. I would probably not look at free agency for a midfielder either, all depends on what the MC are using 2013 as? a development year or pushing for a top 4 position. I would think we would be cleaning out the dead wood and conditioning our best 22 for a push at that top 4 spot.

can't fault you as always yoda, you've convinced me.
As a mock/ideal world scenario something like this looks pretty appealing

p.10 J.Daniher
p.32 R.Atkins (Could easily be a best available selection)
p.48 M.Wood
p.51 S.Lynch
p. 69 D.Fort

Rookies
Shinners/Freezer
Duscher/Martin
a draft age crumbing forward, lets not go crazy with the mature agers.
an x-factor pick, tipungwuti, coleman-broome, yarran, for cult hero sake.

Broomhead for the name surely.

Unfortunately not going to claim to have any knowledge whatsoever about this year's crop, first time in a while so I'll be more interested than ever to read some of these ideas.

Broomhead for the name surely.

Unfortunately not going to claim to have any knowledge whatsoever about this year's crop, first time in a while so I'll be more interested than ever to read some of these ideas.

i'm not much better tbh. included mason wood with pick 48 because a guy I know played against him and he said he plays a lot like nat fyfe, who I have the biggest man crush on.

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Draft - Selections: 10 (Daniher), 34, 51, 53, 73, 88, 101, 106 (Baguley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back