2012 Draft - Selections: 10 (Daniher), 34, 51, 53, 73, 88, 101, 106 (Baguley)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Hal Hunter will get delisted if the dons are to delist. Baguley is needed we don't exactly have a plethora of small backs

I suspect that Baguley will be upgraded - Hunter is still a question mark - I suppose they may take one or two international scholarship holders.

I suspect that Baguley will be upgraded - Hunter is still a question mark - I suppose they may take one or two international scholarship holders.

Yeh Baguley is a chance to be upgraded. However i think that means we need to delist/trade 3 more players for it to be worth it with the Monfries trade.

Pick 10 - Joe Daniher
Pick 32 - Tim Broomhead
pick 48 - Jacob Ballard
pick 51 - Darcy Fort/Max Duffy
pick 69 - Rookie Upgrade (Baguley)

Means 3 more need to be delisted. Prismall, Lonergan + 1 more.

Yeh Baguley is a chance to be upgraded. However i think that means we need to delist/trade 3 more players for it to be worth it with the Monfries trade.

Pick 10 - Joe Daniher
Pick 32 - Tim Broomhead
pick 48 - Jacob Ballard
pick 51 - Darcy Fort/Max Duffy
pick 69 - Rookie Upgrade (Baguley)

Means 3 more need to be delisted. Prismall, Lonergan + 1 more.

Reimers ?

I wouldn't think Bauguley is a guarantee to stay on the list let alone be upgraded. Id prefer we get games into the younger guys like Browne (and hopefully new draftees).
I understand 'Bags' was ok, but he isn't a first choice defender and purely a depth player. Are we going to keep him on our list for depth and delist a guy like Dyson who has shown far more?

I would only keep Dalgleish and Hunter with the potential rookie listing of Tom Fields to take 3 spots. I'd imagine we may take a speculative ruckmen or a mature aged player as our 4th rookie list spot.

I think Hal Hunter will get delisted if the dons are to delist. Baguley is needed we don't exactly have a plethora of small backs

Injury prone, (very) highly rated junior who was eased into the season. Give him 12 months and revisit this old chestnut I think. Has the dean solomons about his game, I like that about him :thumbsu:

Yeah looking at the list - no one deserves to be upgraded as a rookie.

You'd hope (i hope) that Prismall, Reimers certainly go before Dyson. Hopefully NLM or Lonergan aswell although will really make little difference. I dont understand the love for NLM, but i guess hes a god clubman, maybe keeps the indigenous boys in check and is versatile can fill a hole for us if we get the biggest injury list ever.

Id like to keep
Dyson - hes getting better as he gets bigger/stronger. The modern game also lends itself to his neat kicking when he isnt under pressure. With the loss of Slatts, Mcveigh and possible move of Hibberd up the ground we need some depth in the small defender area he gives this

Lonergan - Now i have seen him play the defensive HFF a few years ago, with the loss of Monfries it out the very worse is a possible fall back, gives us depth in this specific role. Also he can tag and gives us midfield depth if guys like Hocking, Howlett (Struggle/injured) and Kav, Melky, Merrett, Browne ect havnt come on we will be looking at Lonergan.

One of Prismall, Lonergan have to go and one has to stay.

2 delistings if im correct gives us picks 32,48,51 (just using off the thread, dont know the new ones exact)

The envelopes were stamped this year I think fir Sammy.

Perhaps he does stay and Pris goes.

I still think we need 6 picks in the National Draft, and hope we go for broke and shake the list up.

6 picks?

That would mean we need to delist at least 4 more is that correct. I guess 4 of Dyson, Reimers, Lonergan, Prismall, NLM

6 picks?

That would mean we need to delist at least 4 more is that correct. I guess 4 of Dyson, Reimers, Lonergan, Prismall, NLM

It's not completely out of the question though..

Slattery gone, Monfries out, maybe only three will go.

The way I see it, we went hard to see how the list could cope but we were caught short in some positions, this off season is about fixing those short comings.

Happy for all 3 of Prismall, Lonergan and Reimers to be delisted, preferably traded if we can get a nibble. I'd rather put the faith in the younger guys like Davis, Browne and co to take us forward. These guys have had enough time. Time to bite the bullet. Happy to have Dyson for another year, same for NLM. Would like to see more of Hunter, Bags and Dalgleish. Not convinced by Dell either yet but hppy to keep all 4 as the rookies if nobody outstanding presents themselves to replace them.

It's not completely out of the question though..

Slattery gone, Monfries out, maybe only three will go.

The way I see it, we went hard to see how the list could cope but we were caught short in some positions, this off season is about fixing those short comings.

Hmm i find that interesting. Where were we found short? We had an injury list which is very unlikley to occur again (following the law of avgs, we must hit a good patch soon).

We have struggled with injury since 2009!

Do you remember John Williams? He was our 41st out of 44 players used in '09.

As for where were we caught short? We need more midfield rotations. Simple as that. Guys like Jetta, Monfries (for us), needed to step up and ensure we did not leave it all to Watson, Stanton and co. Which invariably happened anyway..

We need more class from our midfielders.. Sure Zaka tick, Heppell tick, howlett tick. But the guys like Lonergan, NLM, Hocking aren't the best ball users, hell even Brent Stanton I have been critical of. We also needed bait more composure coming out of defense, something we really struggled with this year IMO. Would have preferred Heppell to have been kept back there with Dempsey to control things, allowing us a better passage from defense.

Look, my opinion is a very different opinion to most, but I have justification for all of it.

Im against having 6 or so picks in one national draft, just because its very rare that you find any good players with picks 80 onwards. So midfield depth is a place we got found wanting yet your happy to get rid of 3-4 of them.

I think the 5 (NLM, Reimers, Lonergan, Prismall, Dyson) need to be phased out over the next 2-3 years not this year. We know Hille, Flecther arnt that far away from retiring so i agree we dont want t be in a position where we need to delist most of them next year along with possibly 3 retirees (Gumby).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for where were we caught short? We need more midfield rotations. Simple as that. Guys like Jetta, Monfries (for us), needed to step up and ensure we did not leave it all to Watson, Stanton and co. Which invariably happened anyway..

We need more class from our midfielders.. Sure Zaka tick, Heppell tick, howlett tick. But the guys like Lonergan, NLM, Hocking aren't the best ball users, hell even Brent Stanton I have been critical of. We also needed bait more composure coming out of defense, something we really struggled with this year IMO. Would have preferred Heppell to have been kept back there with Dempsey to control things, allowing us a better passage from defense.

Look, my opinion is a very different opinion to most, but I have justification for all of it.
This is why i think o brien is best 22

Im against having 6 or so picks in one national draft, just because its very rare that you find any good players with picks 80 onwards. So midfield depth is a place we got found wanting yet your happy to get rid of 3-4 of them.

I think the 5 (NLM, Reimers, Lonergan, Prismall, Dyson) need to be phased out over the next 2-3 years not this year. We know Hille, Flecther arnt that far away from retiring so i agree we dont want t be in a position where we need to delist most of them next year along with possibly 3 retirees (Gumby).

The players you have mentioned are not best 22, only 3 of the 5 fringe and the other 2 list cloggers.

I won't lie, taking picks at 80 odd is speculative at best, but why not take a stab in the dark rather than having injury ravaged guys on our list anyways?

We need class midfielders, and the guys in question are simply a) not best 22, or b) not class midfielders so your point is invalid (re: delisting midfielders).

The players you have mentioned are not best 22, only 3 of the 5 fringe and the other 2 list cloggers.

I won't lie, taking picks at 80 odd is speculative at best, but why not take a stab in the dark rather than having injury ravaged guys on our list anyways?

We need class midfielders, and the guys in question are simply a) not best 22, or b) not class midfielders so your point is invalid (re: delisting midfielders).

Yeh but wouldnt we be better picking at 60 for the next 3 years instead of hitting one draft with picks above 80?

Yeh but wouldnt we be better picking at 60 for the next 3 years instead of hitting one draft with picks above 80?
But its just like drafting players through the rookie draft with these picks. The player may not by superstars by any means but they may just have one or to flaws that need to be ironed out for them to get there. So when we are at the stage we are at now eg The depth is being replace by hopeful good youth coming through its probably time for these guys to go instead of delisting players like ross and steinberg early and not giving them a good chance.

The nature of the beast sees us select on average 6 - 8 new players each off season (primary and rookie list).

Might as well go over the top in one draft and attempt to snare a James hits in the 16th round :thumbsu:

I'd love another young Indigenous player! we have such a strong Aboriginal culture at Essendon, we've not really had one apart from Long drafted recently.
How is the Indigenous talent in this draft?

this kid has exceptional pace, can kick very well on both feet and definitely has that lewis jetta x factor about him....why havnt we heard much about him?

But its just like drafting players through the rookie draft with these picks. The player may not by superstars by any means but they may just have one or to flaws that need to be ironed out for them to get there. So when we are at the stage we are at now eg The depth is being replace by hopeful good youth coming through its probably time for these guys to go instead of delisting players like ross and steinberg early and not giving them a good chance.

The guys I would be desisting are the ones who have not helped in the past year or two or that we have ample depth in, hence guys like Riemers, Lonergan, Prismal would be on the chopping block IMO.

Hocking has been in our top 10 for eff for the last 4 years. Like a few he made some terrible errors this year when we where not playing well but he has been as reliable as anyone disposal wise in recent years.

As for the draft it will not surprise me to see 1 or 2 picks traded this week or us just using a couple picks on young blokes and then using 51 plus to upgrade some rookies.

Remove this Banner Ad

2012 Draft - Selections: 10 (Daniher), 34, 51, 53, 73, 88, 101, 106 (Baguley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back