2012 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For people using Phantom Drafts as a reason not to draft Vlastuin. Knightmare has him ranked 6th of players available to us. Whitfield, Toumpas, Macrae, Grundy, Stringer are the 5 ahead of him.

And Knightmare rates Macrae higher than most I think. Personally I would prefer Vlas to Macrae and Stringer which puts him 4th.

And Knightmare rates Macrae higher than most I think. Personally I would prefer Vlas to Macrae and Stringer which puts him 4th.
Yer I have Vlastuin above Macrae but do think Macrae COULD be something special. But could be pretty average.

For people using Phantom Drafts as a reason not to draft Vlastuin. Knightmare has him ranked 6th of players available to us. Whitfield, Toumpas, Macrae, Grundy, Stringer are the 5 ahead of him.
Dude if people are using phantom drafts as reasoning... there's not much advice you can give them.

There's a lot of stuff even the best phantom recruiter is not privy to.

Dude if people are using phantom drafts as reasoning... there's not much advice you can give them.

There's a lot of stuff even the best phantom recruiter is not privy to.
Don't you worry I'm well aware. But it's also the cherry-picking of only the phantom drafts that suit their argument. Lol.

Another picture from Dayle's instagram:

286747003964398675_192573366

http://web.stagram.com/p/286747003964398675_192573366

Is that Nic Natanui in the background?

Maybe a friend of Dayle's? Would be reassuring knowing what Nicnat's achieved.
Yeah it has to be Nic Nat. Saw that myself before

I'll just say if we pick Lonergan at 9, Josh Green should have been the number 1 pick.

He'll have to re-locate wherever he goes. Geraldton ain't exactly a suburb of Perth.
I know. I think the point is that he's not exactly as "unattached" as some other 18 year old's. Moving away from parents to a different city/state is one thing. Leaving behind a 1 year old child would be a different kettle of fish for many. Not sure what the status of the relationship (if any) is between Simpson and the mother of his child, but relocating them may not even be an option for one reason or another. Guess it's just one more question mark that has to be added in for consideration.

Hey tigs2010, wondering how sure you are that we'll pass on Stringer if he's available?

I know you don't rate him particularly well, could you give some insight as to why?

Hey tigs2010, wondering how sure you are that we'll pass on Stringer if he's available?

I know you don't rate him particularly well, could you give some insight as to why?
As far as I'm aware there is zero chance he will be a Tiger.

Pretty much from what I've seen of him he's a below average kick, slow, limited agility, poor when ball is below knee height. I wouldn't take him first round personally.

After picking up Connors and Taylor who had there issues and we weren't able to rectify things with them, along with the careful minding of Dusty, the worst thing to do is pick up Gartlett IMO.

Also, I find it funny how most people scoffed at us picking up A.Edwards due to his misdemeanors however are all for picking up young Dayle.

Good luck to him and hopefully he turns it around but we are not in a position to wait for him to turn it around, we can play it much safer and we will play it much safer. Gone are the days of high risk, high reward picks. Look at the team who won the Grand Final this year, how many players have they recruited that are 'vanilla' and yet won the premiership? We are following the same path.

Big difference between a 29 y.o. fringe player & repeat offender at his third club and a talented 17 y.o. kid.

Any knocks on his character? I've heard mixed reports, ranging from 'great kid' to 'complete douche'.

I've heard the second report. :p

Haha okay, thanks.

In his defence, so is Jack Riewoldt :p

I must say I've been against getting Stringer for most of the year but the more investigating I do the more I wonder whether we should take a punt. There's no questioning his talent, and the fact that he put together some good to very good form in VFL seniors toward the end of the year, while playing nowhere near full fitness, makes me think his ceiling is quite high. I would be surprised if we took him, but not disappointed. More perplexed and excited than disappointed.

Thursday can't come quick enough I tells ya.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha okay, thanks.

In his defence, so is Jack Riewoldt :p

I must say I've been against getting Stringer for most of the year but the more investigating I do the more I wonder whether we should take a punt. There's no questioning his talent, and the fact that he put together some good to very good form in VFL seniors toward the end of the year, while playing nowhere near full fitness, makes me think his ceiling is quite high. I would be surprised if we took him, but not disappointed. More perplexed and excited than disappointed.

Thursday can't come quick enough I tells ya.
Jack is far from a complete douche.

Any knocks on his character? I've heard mixed reports, ranging from 'great kid' to 'complete douche'.

Just a feeling I have, for some reason I see him as the possible slider in this draft.

That was a bit tongue in cheek. He's not a douche... But certainly an affronting character ;)

Just posted a draft predictions thread - hope along and give us your 2c! http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/predict-our-haul-2012-draft.981151/
Done.

Inside Footy quotes on each of my 4 picks.

Nick Vlastuin (187cm/86kg - Midfielder - Northern Knights)

Anthony Allen (his coach) says: Nick has been at the AIS for the past two years and been in our program for a number of years after first playing as a 16 year old. Super strong, hard at the footy type who will go first round I'm pretty sure. A good kick, a good mark for his size but needs to work on his endurance. Type of player who could start as a half-back and over a two or three year period will move into the midfield. Very much a know quantity who is in demand and I'd be staggered if he's not first round.

Jackson Thurlow (189cm/80kg - Utility - Launceston)

Matthew Armstrong (Tassie Academy Coach) says: Had an outstanding year with the Tassie Mariners and has created plenty of interest. Has played as a half-back flanker with Launceston but also as an outside midfielder and is an excellent kick with very good hands. He suffered three facial fractures and a broken thumb in the TSL finals though. He is in the mix to be one of the higher ranked Tassie players to be drafted this year.

Rory Atkins (186cm/81kg - Midfielder/Forward - Calder Cannons)

Ian Kyte (Cannons region manager) says: Left-footed midfielder with good leg speed and ball winning ability He has improved in every aspect of his football and his life over the past 12 months however he still needs to work on his defensive transition, but that will come. Essendon has certainly shown plenty of interest.

Tim McGenniss (181cm/79kg - Midfielder - Dandenong Stingrays)

Graeme Yeats (his coach) says: Tim won our B&F on the back of a really good season. Probably our no.1 player at clearances and contested possessions who is a good inside player and classy on the outside...just has a lot of tricks. I'm really hoping he'll get drafted late but at worst a rookie list spot for him. Tough, hard and a great preparer/trainer. Just one of those players who does everything right and everything you ask of him. Hasn't come through the traditional pathway so there isn't the hype around him so I hope that doesn't go against him.

Done.

Inside Footy quotes on each of my 4 picks.

Nick Vlastuin (187cm/86kg - Midfielder - Northern Knights)

Anthony Allen (his coach) says: Nick has been at the AIS for the past two years and been in our program for a number of years after first playing as a 16 year old. Super strong, hard at the footy type who will go first round I'm pretty sure. A good kick, a good mark for his size but needs to work on his endurance. Type of player who could start as a half-back and over a two or three year period will move into the midfield. Very much a know quantity who is in demand and I'd be staggered if he's not first round.

Jackson Thurlow (189cm/80kg - Utility - Launceston)

Matthew Armstrong (Tassie Academy Coach) says: Had an outstanding year with the Tassie Mariners and has created plenty of interest. Has played as a half-back flanker with Launceston but also as an outside midfielder and is an excellent kick with very good hands. He suffered three facial fractures and a broken thumb in the TSL finals though. He is in the mix to be one of the higher ranked Tassie players to be drafted this year.

Rory Atkins (186cm/81kg - Midfielder/Forward - Calder Cannons)

Ian Kyte (Cannons region manager) says: Left-footed midfielder with good leg speed and ball winning ability He has improved in every aspect of his football and his life over the past 12 months however he still needs to work on his defensive transition, but that will come. Essendon has certainly shown plenty of interest.

Tim McGenniss (181cm/79kg - Midfielder - Dandenong Stingrays)

Graeme Yeats (his coach) says: Tim won our B&F on the back of a really good season. Probably our no.1 player at clearances and contested possessions who is a good inside player and classy on the outside...just has a lot of tricks. I'm really hoping he'll get drafted late but at worst a rookie list spot for him. Tough, hard and a great preparer/trainer. Just one of those players who does everything right and everything you ask of him. Hasn't come through the traditional pathway so there isn't the hype around him so I hope that doesn't go against him.

I would say spot on, maybe swap Atkins and Thurlow but yeah, I am sure they are the four we want. Unless someone dramatic drops.

Same.

Certainly did/acted a certain way that was bad enough to get booted from the AIS, earlier in the year.
But reports I read from (I think) one of his coaches, from later in the year, were really positive.

So it could be anywhere from 'bit immature to getting there' to 'has dumb mates' to 'axe murderer'... we may never know the full story.

I'd hazard a guess that the clubs, between them, would have a fair idea.

Most rate him top ~20-25 for talent, so if he goes pick 393, it'll be a pretty good pointer. If he goes pick 15, then, well, at least one club reckons he's OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back