2012 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vlastuin is probably more of a Luke Ball

Just got back from the games, even though it was turn over city I walked away feeling like we should be get a very good player with our first pick. After that though it's just like any other draft IMO.

Really liked Mayes' game. Thought he showed a bit when he went through the middle and is such a smooth mover. Could be a goer.

Happy to see Stringer putting some good footy together again. I wonder how far he could slide, I'd love the opportunity for him to become a Tiger

They had the Friday games out in the wind covered by a fair way. :p

I only watched on TV but the midfield quality looks really good when you consider there were a few players that weren't out there today that should go in those 2nd/3rd rounds. Feeling pretty underwhelmed in the KPP quality besides Daniher and Grundy as a ruck.

My take on some of the players leaving out father sons and Whitfield as we won't have the no.1 pick

Vic Country

Tim Membrey - Thought he was pretty impressive early not just because of his 3 early goals but also his pressure to keep the ball forward. Felt as though VC could have given him a bit more space up forward in the 2nd half though. Still really like him as a potential 3rd rounder for us.

Nathan Wright - hbf who can break the lines. Not sold on his kicking skills though. But seems to just have something about him and I think he'll be a pretty good player.

Tom Clurey - solid KPD with good skills. O'Brien kicked a couple on him in about a 5min patch but other than that thought he was fantastic.

Oliver Wines - his attack on the ball is first rate. Kicking skills whilst not elite are still pretty good and has good leadership qualities. Fits the bill for a player we would target.

Jake Stringer - maniac attack on the ball. He's huge and I've heard ?? over whether he just bullies everyone due to his size but he really just throws himself at the footy and wills himself to get there first. Not sold on his skills and never saw him before he broke his leg so not sure if that's contributed in this regard?

Lewis Taylor - small midfielder who really lit a spark under the VC boys in that 2nd quarter. Lightning quick and a goalkicker.

South Australia

Brodie Grundy - would kill to have him at Tigerland. Very athletic ruckman and so clean below his knees. IMO will be better than Naitanui. Not as ridiculous athlete but I think he has better footy smarts and skills at the same stage.

Ben Kennedy - small but good. Great speed and skills and you can see the arrogance/confidence in him that IMO you have to have as a small player. Very good in tight.

Jimmy Toumpas - BOG and class above. Maybe his early surgery can see him slide or we can pull some swifty over the other clubs. :p

Tim Sumner - Tall Indigenous HFF similar sort of size to TT i'd imagine. Didn't do a lot but has some special talent when he goes near it. Fantastic skills and don't think he missed a target. I'm positive he kicked that goal as well. Late round option IMO.

Sam Mayes - Still my favourite player in the draft I think. Just oozes class and always seems to have hours to pick an option. Reminds me of Pendlebury a little bit.

Western Australia

Dayle Garlett - he's definitely the best player available from WA. He would also be the perfect fit for us as an outside mid who can still win his own ball BUT he comes with a lot of baggage. Not sure i'd use a 1st rounder on him in our position.

Josh Simpson - classy outside mid as well with a huge leap on him (sat on Hrovat's head tonight) Will become a classy goalkicking mid but not sure he is worth a pick around 10 and will be gone by time of our next pick. *shrugs*

Sam Lowrie - Very good midfielder who I think we will look at with a 2nd rounder. Can win his own ball and be damaging with it.

Nicholas Robertson - Kid I noticed against SA (hard to miss) and thought he was solid again tonight. Can rack up the ball and is tough. Wasn't paying close attention to him so not sure on skills??

Laine Wilkins - Wow what a performance in the 3rd. Turned the game on it's head with 3 goals in 5 minutes. Tall lanky midfielder with good athleticism.

Vic Metro

Jonathan O'Rourke - stand out besides Daniher (F/S) and Billings (underage) good in close, good skills on the outside. Can do it all. Still has fair bit of physical development left.

Nick Vlastuin - probably one of his best champs games. Very good in traffic and uses the ball very well.

Nathan Hrovat - kid is small but can play. His kicking skills are top notch IMO and just knows how to win the ball.

Most of better players were F/S or underage.

Players who disappointed me: Marco Paparone (WA), Alex Howson (WA), Mason Shaw (WA), Kristian Jaksch (VM), Emmanuel Irra (SA),

Dayle Garlett - he's definitely the best player available from WA. He would also be the perfect fit for us as an outside mid who can still win his own ball BUT he comes with a lot of baggage. Not sure i'd use a 1st rounder on him in our position.

Great write up Tigs - wondering if you could give a bit more on what you meant by baggage?

I don't think we should take any risks in the draft as we still are a fair way off having a competent 22 with depth stocks (still a few holes to fill IMO). Hopefully FJ and the team just draft the best available player with correct attitude and most professional demeanor at our pick. We can't afford to take a punt on a high risk high reward player with an early pick. Need to nail it.

Safe to say that most teams will get a very good player, if not a gun with their first pick. The key to this year's draft is what we do after this....and with 2 picks in round 2 (probably quite early on) could have 2 or 3.

Great write up Tigs - wondering if you could give a bit more on what you meant by baggage?

I don't think we should take any risks in the draft as we still are a fair way off having a competent 22 with depth stocks (still a few holes to fill IMO). Hopefully FJ and the team just draft the best available player with correct attitude and most professional demeanor at our pick. We can't afford to take a punt on a high risk high reward player with an early pick. Need to nail it.

Has had a few behavioural issues that I'm not 100% sure what they were. By all accounts he is trying to clean up his act but still has a long way to go. Got booted out of the AIS/AFL academy and also copped a club suspension for a separate incident. He would be a nice fit playing wise but I doubt we take him with a first rounder. If he lasts till our second then we may look at him. I reckon if he's still on the board Melb will take him with 13 as it's their 3rd pick. Or the Doggies compo pick which will be about 7ish.

They had the Friday games out in the wind covered by a fair way. :p

I only watched on TV but the midfield quality looks really good when you consider there were a few players that weren't out there today that should go in those 2nd/3rd rounds. Feeling pretty underwhelmed in the KPP quality besides Daniher and Grundy as a ruck.

My take on some of the players leaving out father sons and Whitfield as we won't have the no.1 pick

thanks for the insight tigs2010, keep em going, getting giddy about the talent that you described.

Grundy from SA would be good. Should be just starting to come into his own by the time Maric retires too.

We really need to add to our midfield depth though.

I'd be interested in Shane Nelson. Missed being drafted last year, and in pretty good form in the WAFL for West Perth from what I've read... http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/shane-nelson.843231/

Comparisons made to Foley. Haven't actually seen him play, but based on his year last year, some of his draft camp stat's, and his form this year playing against men in the WAFL, would seem an interesting prospect as a potentially cheap (i.e. later rounds) midfield depth player. Anyone know any more on this kid?

Toadvine and TFLUA-Tiger what are your thoughts on Jake Calvert? He reminds me in a lot of ways of Taylor Walker. Looks to have a lot of talent mixed in with bone-headed plays and aggression mixed in with a shit haircut. :p

In my opinion he doesn't show enough considering he's a 19 year old. not a fan really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players who disappointed me: Marco Paparone (WA), Alex Howson (WA), Mason Shaw (WA), Kristian Jaksch (VM), Emmanuel Irra (SA),

Interested to know how Paparone disappointed you tigs2010?, i wasn't wowed by him but i thought he showed he could make a good forward and he reminded me of richo in a way with his athletic running and not so great shot at goal, didn't have Richo's marking ability of course but in saying this he looked to be pretty good mark. If he were around with our second pick(compo) I would be tempted to take him.

Also Jaksch reminds me Hurley, and he cleary didn't have a great day but i think he would have done a lot better had either Boy'd or Daniher not played. He seems to have very good skills for a big guy and seems to offer a fair bit of defensive pressure. I think he will be bolter come draft day.

In my opinion he doesn't show enough considering he's a 19 year old. not a fan really.
He definitely doesn't do enough consistently but did seem to have the ability to turn a game in 5 minutes. (sometimes in a negative way though)

Interested to know how Paparone disappointed you tigs2010?, i wasn't wowed by him but i thought he showed he could make a good forward and he reminded me of richo in a way with his athletic running and not so great shot at goal, didn't have Richo's marking ability of course but in saying this he looked to be pretty good mark. If he were around with our second pick(compo) I would be tempted to take him.

Also Jaksch reminds me Hurley, and he cleary didn't have a great day but i think he would have done a lot better had either Boy'd or Daniher not played. He seems to have very good skills for a big guy and seems to offer a fair bit of defensive pressure. I think he will be bolter come draft day.

Sorry got up to the players who disappointed me and figured my post was so bloody long and just listed names.

Paparone - to me isn't a KPF for one. He's a mid in a KPF body. Huge endurance but for a KPF he doesn't appear to have any aerial marking ability. You nailed the other part. His kicking for goal was awful apart from the one that in all honesty he fluked as he had no time to think about it. He chokes up a little bit and lacks a bit of composure to think his way through things.

Jaksch - probably doesn't have Hurley's aggression but I can see the comparison. I really like him as a prospect and was really hoping he would put in a big game and push for a top 10-15 pick. That's more why I was disappointed with him. Maybe I just had too high expectations. Kind of hoping he may sneak through as he'd be the perfect CHF we are missing.

tigs2010 - Do you like Jaksch more as a forward or as a defender?

I really like him down back - but I think he has the ability to rip games up forward.

tigs2010 - Do you like Jaksch more as a forward or as a defender?

I really like him down back - but I think he has the ability to rip games up forward.

Forward personally. And I think it's his forward play that will probably push him into the first round. It was a shame Daniher was so dominant because it really affected Jaksch in the big showcase game. Was really hoping he'd be the one to tear it apart. His team are going to have that luxury of sending him down back if he's struggling which will be a bonus. The best part is he could be drafted quite high off playing either end rather than him just being average at both.

Was good to see Stringer play a good champs game too on Wednesday. Not sure if we will take him but I think he will probably still be available.

Out of the KPF's who would you take first (excluding Daniher) Jaksch, Shaw, Paparone? Any others?

Forward personally. And I think it's his forward play that will probably push him into the first round. It was a shame Daniher was so dominant because it really affected Jaksch in the big showcase game. Was really hoping he'd be the one to tear it apart. His team are going to have that luxury of sending him down back if he's struggling which will be a bonus. The best part is he could be drafted quite high off playing either end rather than him just being average at both.

Was good to see Stringer play a good champs game too on Wednesday. Not sure if we will take him but I think he will probably still be available.

Out of the KPF's who would you take first (excluding Daniher) Jaksch, Shaw, Paparone? Any others?

Looking at this years KPF's, you'd really love for Boyd or Hogan to be available, wouldn't you?

I think I probably go those three in exactly that order tigs. I like Shaw quite a bit, but he just looks a fair bit off the pace at times.

Have been watching Clurey for a few years and have been a huge fan , played his first game for the year IIRC only a week or two before playing on Stringer and had the better of that contest . Predominately played as a forward last year and took a couple of screamers . Apparently tests highly in endurance and I wouldn't be against us picking him up as a forward option . Thoughts ?

Jaksch - probably doesn't have Hurley's aggression but I can see the comparison. I really like him as a prospect and was really hoping he would put in a big game and push for a top 10-15 pick. That's more why I was disappointed with him. Maybe I just had too high expectations. Kind of hoping he may sneak through as he'd be the perfect CHF we are missing.
Perhaps he might slide to our second pick, around 30 odd? Without having seen him play, if he plays anything like Hurley I'd be fine with him at the Tigers!

Looking at this years KPF's, you'd really love for Boyd or Hogan to be available, wouldn't you?

I think I probably go those three in exactly that order tigs. I like Shaw quite a bit, but he just looks a fair bit off the pace at times.

Ahhh Boyd. Reckon we'd be a chance at him too TBH. Shaw must be struggling a little bit after he had his face re-arranged.

Perhaps he might slide to our second pick, around 30 odd? Without having seen him play, if he plays anything like Hurley I'd be fine with him at the Tigers!
As much as I'd love it I look at the sides in the range I think he'd go and there are just too many that need that type of player. :(

Aaron Christensen and Daniel Watson ripped it up for Geelong on the weekend. Both 175 cms and lightning quick and make really good choices. Why am I always attracted to the mosquito fleet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back