2012 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Mayes, Troy Menzel, Jake Stringer are the 3 that have really taken my fancy early, not having seen any of them live of course. All three would be ideal for where our list sits currently. Of course I wouldn't say no to Wines or Toumpas, but I think it's almost impossible either of those 2 will be around at our pick.

Wondering if anyone knows how Myles Bolger has gone this year?

I posted this on another forum but may as well put it here to get some discussion going

"How would people feel about drafting Troy Menzel? Younger brother of Daniel has already had a knee reco (LARS) and is currently sitting on the sidelines with what is reported what is rumored to be OP. Very skilled player, kicking is creative and he has very good goal sense.

When fit Troy has shown quite a bit more than Dan this year. Playing for the Bulldogs in SANFL he has more midfield ability than his brother and then in the Championships playing primarily as a marking forward he kicked 15 goals (9 then 6) in the first two games albeit against Div 2 teams.

So with more talent than his bro but the history of injury with him and his family do you think we should take the risk?"

From your discription alone, he sounds worth at least a rookie/PSD pick.

Dan Menzel is only 20. How old is Troy? Both would still have developing bodies which may go someway to explaining the injuries.

this is a very tough draft any kid in top ten could end up being the rightful number 1 pick . but it depends on what GWS GC and melbtank want

I can see Melbourne going for Midfielder and have GC's and GWS to "try" and trade there picks.

I wonder if the AFL will ever allow to trade future draft picks like in the NBA " for example Tigers trade there future top 10 to 6 pick for a player" the team would be given that pick when we actually get one of those pics in the later years

TFLUA-Tiger Seeing as you've seen a lot of the Pioneers what's your attitude towards us using our first round pick on Stringer if he's available?

I have a question for anyone with a bit of draft nous, how many teams this year have activated a mid 1st round compensation pick, and how are they used?

Are they taken dead in the middle of the 1st round meaning there will be a bit of a gap between 9th's pick and 10th's pick?

Has had a few behavioural issues that I'm not 100% sure what they were. By all accounts he is trying to clean up his act but still has a long way to go. Got booted out of the AIS/AFL academy and also copped a club suspension for a separate incident. He would be a nice fit playing wise but I doubt we take him with a first rounder. If he lasts till our second then we may look at him. I reckon if he's still on the board Melb will take him with 13 as it's their 3rd pick. Or the Doggies compo pick which will be about 7ish.

Would think the last type of player dimma would want on the list, already discarded three now under his watch of similar ilk...time to take a different Tack and adopt the swans recruiting policy

Would think the last type of player dimma would want on the list, already discarded three now under his watch of similar ilk...time to take a different Tack and adopt the swans recruiting policy
Agreed. Last week killed the tiniest chance we had of taking Garlett.

I have a question for anyone with a bit of draft nous, how many teams this year have activated a mid 1st round compensation pick, and how are they used?

Are they taken dead in the middle of the 1st round meaning there will be a bit of a gap between 9th's pick and 10th's pick?
Depends on what type it is. There are three kinds.
First rounder: directly after the first pick of the team who ORIGINALLY owned it (3 are activated Melbourne/Doggies/GWS(after Adelaide's pick though))
Mid- First Rounder: After all non-finalists have had their pick (1 is activated which is Melbourne's)
End of First Rounder: After everyone has had their first round pick. (Brisbane has 1 activated)

this is a very tough draft any kid in top ten could end up being the rightful number 1 pick . but it depends on what GWS GC and melbtank want

I can see Melbourne going for Midfielder and have GC's and GWS to "try" and trade there picks.

I wonder if the AFL will ever allow to trade future draft picks like in the NBA " for example Tigers trade there future top 10 to 6 pick for a player" the team would be given that pick when we actually get one of those pics in the later years

bearing this in mind would anyone have any problem of trading our first pick for caddy and maybe a sweetner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if teams never get a top 6 - 10 pick and always stay in the top 8?? The best thing would be to just give the first round pick away and no set bracket at which the pick is in because that'd be unfair.

What if teams never get a top 6 - 10 pick and always stay in the top 8?? The best thing would be to just give the first round pick away and no set bracket at which the pick is in because that'd be unfair.

i think in te NBA the longer the pick last the lower it gets so if they gave away a top pick say 6 and then stayed in the 8 for 5 years that could bring it down to say pick 2 or 3 .. and in some cases they say whenever the team gets a pick lower than 8 its theres

i think in te NBA the longer the pick last the lower it gets so if they gave away a top pick say 6 and then stayed in the 8 for 5 years that could bring it down to say pick 2 or 3 .. and in some cases they say whenever the team gets a pick lower than 8 its theres
NBA works as though we offer a future 1st round pick and it could have no protection so say we end up with the no.1 pick we are forced to give it away. However, you can put protections on it say 2013 if it's a top 10 pick we keep it then 2014 if it's a top 6 we keep it then 2015 top 3. If say by 2015 we have managed to keep onto the pick then the other club may get our 2015/16 2nd rounders.

Personally i believe Josh caddy is just about out the door at gold coast & we should move heaven and earth to entice him to Punt Road.
Chances are we will finish 9th or 10th so thats pretty much a top pick and i believe that the tigers will have a better trading relationship with gc than essendon along with the fact that they are probably gone as far as trading currency is concearned(daniher)
Which leaves carlton,melbourne,kangaroo's,Dogs,Tigers with a reasonable pick.
Offer the Kid 1.5 mill over 4 years and GC can have our 1st round pick.

This kid is tailor made to play alongside Martin,Delidio,Foley,Cotchin,Conca,Ellis.
JOSH CADDY - IS OUR MAN

Personally i believe Josh caddy is just about out the door at gold coast & we should move heaven and earth to entice him to Punt Road.
Chances are we will finish 9th or 10th so thats pretty much a top pick and i believe that the tigers will have a better trading relationship with gc than essendon along with the fact that they are probably gone as far as trading currency is concearned(daniher)
Which leaves carlton,melbourne,kangaroo's,Dogs,Tigers with a reasonable pick.
Offer the Kid 1.5 mill over 4 years and GC can have our 1st round pick.

This kid is tailor made to play alongside Martin,Delidio,Foley,Cotchin,Conca,Ellis.
JOSH CADDY - IS OUR MAN

It's certainly worth discussing. The question is are we willing to give up our 1st rounder for him and are GC willing to accept it?

I haven't been tracking his progress, has he shown much at senior level?

Would GC be interested in our #1 pick.
Correct me if I am wrong, they are in line for pick #1 this year.
In 2011 they got seven of the top 10 picks in the draft and about 14 in the first 20 (all first round picks) and last year they snared jaegar O'Meara who will be a gun and would have been a #1 pick.
GC would be more interested in high calibre players than pick #9 or #10 in the draft IMO.
We'd likely need to package that pick with a good player, but as we have seen in the past, we are reluctant to move on good players.

Brett Anderson the journo from Inside Footy has us selecting Ben Kennedy in his first round mock draft.

I think he would be available at our pick and would have an instant impact. For those who haven't seen him play, he is a very similar player to Devon Smith from GWS but I would say he is a better player at under 18 level than Devon was and Ben has been playing very well for a very long time at U18 level.

He is the type of player who if he was 5 cm taller would be much more highly rated. He has a very well rounded game and is elite inside and out IMO, he's a strong tackler and has a freakish ability around goal.

His done well at SANFL level to hasn't he Toadvine? Agree with your comparison with Devon Smith but I believe that Kennedy has better skills and a much bigger kick on him compared to Smith but their playing style is very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back