2012 List Management - Drafts, Trading and Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just ask - why all the elevations of Campbell? Why has he impressed you so much?

Yes, he's a good ruckman. But apart from in the ruck he's done next to nothing and really hasn't shown enough to be elevated. He can't play every second of game in the ruck and he's yet to impress at all in the forward line. Can't give him a game just because he can tap it. He made our entire team slower today, and did nothing really great. Would much rather elevate someone else and retain him.

I think Campbell and Cordy need to play 22 games between them next year and rotate second ruck from the forward pocket. I think we need both of these guys getting games in 2013:
- in case minson goes down or has a brain fade (suspended).
- to provide a bigger body and be a genuine marking threat up forward so jones isn't double teamed.
Roughead will surely start 2013 as a KPD. One of the most pleasing things from our last half of the season is that I think we've found our next key back to build a defence around.

To be honest I haven't been impressed by Campbell as a forward, he looks like an excellent ruck. He deserves to be promoted and I think he'll provide great cover as a back up ruckman should Minson get hurt or suspended. Not sure how we fit them both Campbell and Minson in the team together.

Hoping Cordy can have a big, big uninterrupted pre-season. Has lost a fair bit of that agility and quickness since putting on that weight. Hopefully he'll get those attributes back and his game will improve quite a bit as a result.

I think a few players would have woken up this morning with the message on their phone m8 ur dlstd which is common around this time of year i hope Hill and Panos weren't one of them any key forward on the list needs to be a list given a chance to see if they can make it

I think a few players would have woken up this morning with the message on their phone m8 ur dlstd which is common around this time of year i hope Hill and Panos weren't one of them any key forward on the list needs to be a list given a chance to see if they can make it
When are delisting announced?

REally?? i always imagined players would be delisted face to face in a professional way not by leaving a message on their phone.

'heyyyyy m8 ur dlstd totes lolz YOLO'

I don't think Campbell will be elevated. He will end up playing the same role Minson played last year while Hudson was the number 1 ruck. No point paying the guy to be a backup when he can be retained on the rookie list. Maybe the year after that. I do rate him, but when it comes to list management, he is unfortunately in a position that isn't lacking options at the moment.

I think Grant has saved himself after coming back from the 4 or 5 week break to put on some weight. He has done a few really good things and seems a lot more intense on the field. He has also, in my opinion, overtaken Gia in that forward role. The only thing that keeps Gia ahead overall is that he can play well when rotated through the middle. Grant is a little more one dimensional, but fills the forward gap better than Gia at the moment.

We know the ones that have been delisted allready - Mulligan, Hooper and Moles.

Maybe they will wait to entertain trades before further delistings?

I think this is what happens. No point delisting players until we know that we can't get anything for them...

Here's a weird and wacky one for you all.

Do we trade Lake ?? Get another first round pick for the draft (minimum). Keep Markovic and Austin to help relieve the pressure on Talia, Roberts, Roughie.... It depends on getting solid service from Williams and Morris next year....

I think this is what happens. No point delisting players until we know that we can't get anything for them...

Do we trade Lake ?? Get another first round pick for the draft (minimum). Keep Markovic and Austin to help relieve the pressure on Talia, Roberts, Roughie.... It depends on getting solid service from Williams and Morris next year....
I've been sitting here for the past few minutes trying to argue against that, but I really can't. :p

It should only be done if Morris is fully fit and we have no doubts about his ability to play out the season, however. I don't think it will happen - but as long as we still have the likes of Morris and Murph down there for leadership, I wouldn't cry out if it did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. No club would offer a first rounder for him, no chance. He's only got two or so years left. I'd much prefer him marshaling the back line and teaching our kids all that he can.

There is significant benefit for doing that, I'll agree. I suspect that if Hawthorn fall short again this year they would offer a first rounder for him.

Just something to think about...

If we get offered any first round picks we should think seriously about getting them. Problem is we don't really have many players that teams would give up first rounders for.

If we get offered any first round picks we should think seriously about getting them. Problem is we don't really have many players that teams would give up first rounders for.

Agreed. Just for the record, I'm not advocating trading Lake, just something to discuss.

With Roughies development, another season into Austin, Talia, Roberts and the return of Williams and Morris, you could make a case that we have enough key defenders. So, you can either convert Lake to a FF ( he doesn't work hard enough IMO) or look at trades.

I'm actually concerned if we will ever get Morris back or Williams fit, so it's a bit of a moot point....

Despite who we trade out, we will never have as big a swag of draft picks as GWS and GC were given. Our quality experienced senior players are the only advantage we have over them at the moment.

Having said that, if Lake's head isnt in it, he could be a worse example for the kids, rather than a leader, so in that case yeah. but I hope that aint the case.

I don't think Roughy will make it as a full back. He doesn't have the speed off the mark.

He's no better than Markovic as a defender really. It's just that we are seeing him do ok in a new position that we are getting excited about it. He's had a fair few goals kicked on him directly as a result of his lack of closing speed. He could be ok as a loose man in defence because he reads the play well.

Lake is still our best option at full back but I'd prefer it if we let the kids learn the position next year if they are ready. Players like Talia and Roberts. I don't mind having Lake at full forward because really we haven't been playing a forward at full forward for most of the year. We've been using ruckman that IMO won't make it as decent forwards.

I don't think Roughy will make it as a full back. He doesn't have the speed off the mark.

He's no better than Markovic as a defender really. It's just that we are seeing him do ok in a new position that we are getting excited about it. He's had a fair few goals kicked on him directly as a result of his lack of closing speed. He could be ok as a loose man in defence because he reads the play well.

Lake is still our best option at full back but I'd prefer it if we let the kids learn the position next year if they are ready. Players like Talia and Roberts. I don't mind having Lake at full forward because really we haven't been playing a forward at full forward for most of the year. We've been using ruckman that IMO won't make it as decent forwards.
disagree. he's actually pretty quick off the mark. the only reason brown got away from him a bit yesterday is because he's got a bigger tank and ran him ragged. Brown's done that to lake plenty of times. The old days of having a full forward who is lightning quick over 20 meters recieving bullet passes are just about over. The Fev's and the Dunstalls aren't around as much any more. At the end of the day, Talia is the man to take the quickest forward anyway, with Roughy taking the gorillas. But hey, Macca has said he's not sure he'll keep him back it might just be great for his development.

You wouldn't get a first rounder for him. IMHO. Not at 30.

2nd rounder (at best), and you might be asked to carry a bit of his salary for 2013 into the bargain (shouldn't be a massive issue).

You wouldn't get a first rounder for him. IMHO. Not at 30.

2nd rounder (at best), and you might be asked to carry a bit of his salary for 2013 into the bargain (shouldn't be a massive issue).

You might be right. If that is correct then there is no point in trading him. But it's purely for discussion purposes at the moment, as I have no indication we are looking at doing 'the full melbourne' at this stage....

You might be right. If that is correct then there is no point in trading him.
I dunno if it's as black & white as that. There's normally good players around in the 30s & 40s.

But it's purely for discussion purposes at the moment, as I have no indication we are looking at doing 'the full melbourne' at this stage....
Do you think Lake would leave a huge hole in terms of leadership? His body language can leave a bit to be desired, at times.

It won't be a 'full Melbourne' if you're keeping Boyd/Cross/Murph etc. IMHO Boyd, Murphy & Cross, with Griff & Minson, are your main leaders. Not Lake.

I dunno if it's as black & white as that. There's normally good players around in the 30s & 40s.

Do you think Lake would leave a huge hole in terms of leadership? His body language can leave a bit to be desired, at times.

It won't be a 'full Melbourne' if you're keeping Boyd/Cross/Murph etc. IMHO Boyd, Murphy & Cross, with Griff & Minson, are your main leaders. Not Lake.

Agreed, but we need to draft absolute guns and nothing else this year. A pick in the first 15, probably could live with that. A pick in the 30's to 40's - not enough, it's just too risky.... You can probably pick 15 guys and see 95% of them go in the top 20 picks, afterwards it's a bit of a lottery.

Keeping Lake isn't necessarily solely about leadership, it's about ability to read the play, pick the right time to impact the contest and take control of the ball. If we can't get a decent pick, we'll at least let him teach that to our young key defenders.

Agree with your comments on leaders, but we are keeping those that can teach - whether it be work ethic, training, key forward/key backman positioning. It will also help keep the games closer next year and the year after, so morale amongst the kids doesnt get too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back