2012 SC Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on Birchall? Seeing him in more and more teams but generally speaking as not set the world on fire. Last year was a break out year of sorts butfor the most part has been an 80-85ppg player. Going into his 7th season with what looks like a big year coming up for hawthorn can he take it to the next level?

Agree with this. From memory Hawthorn had a ton of injuries down back last year which seemed to allow Birchall to fill that rebounding defender role a bit more than usual too rather than it being shared around a few players.

He also is in the bye week which has a lot of premiums such as Goddard, Deledio, Scotland etc. Makes the decision to leave him out easier for me.

On that basis I'm more than happy for people to pick him

Broughton does feel right but what happens when Mundy and Barlow come back. Fyfe spending more time in the guts too...not sure what that means for Broughton tbh

Broughton had a crap year last year and still came out with a good average. Has a history of good averages throughout his short career with the knock on him for me is he can have a few injuries. The other small knock for me is he can pump out a score of 140 one week and follow that with a 60 which can be frustrating (not dissimilar to Giansiracusa in the forward line). That said I feel he could be a touch underpriced and Ross Lyon tends to use his defender/midfielder types a fair bit with the ball. His bye round is a little more enticing than some of those around his price range too.

Anyone considering starting 2 of Lake, Hargrave and Howard in their backline?

I'm considering starting the first two. It depends on how strong my adherence to guns and rookies is going to prove to be - my team is going to be really in flux until team announcements this year, I think.

loading up with Bock and copping the extra rookie for 2 rds.... hard to see him NOT being top 5 at end of season and much more expensive than he is now....

If he's playing forward all year I can see him not being top five. :(

Hanley or Yarran? I can't afford another premium, and think these two could potentially end up in the top 10 defenders. Think they are poised for a further breakout year.

With Golby and Lester standing up and McGrath to move down back again, Hanley is sure to see midfield time. So I'd probably get him over Hanley IMO.

Anyone considering starting 2 of Lake, Hargrave and Howard in their backline?

Both currently in my defence.

If he's playing forward all year I can see him not being top five. :(

This exactly. Guy Mac has already said they will be playing him more as a forward this year. He has looked pretty potent in a few NAB cup games, especially against Geelong, but do you really think he will be getting that kind of delivery on a weekly basis in the season proper?

What everyone's thought on Paul Bower? Price at 157k, will he get a game for Carlton?

Given Laidler has gone down his stocks have risen a bit. Probably worth the 157k price tag as he should play and will score consistently, but I wouldn't be expecting him to set the world on fire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not much love for malceski? for those that love to take a punt on players coming back from injury, don't think you can look past this man. seems to be carving up this pre-season. we know what he is capable of when injury free - some solid a scores to rival any premium defender.

I'm coming round to him as a replacement for Collingwoods Marty Clarke whom I'm getting cold feet about.

i have m.clarke as well and having second thought also. considering trading him down to a rookie and switching from lake to malceski.

not much love for malceski? for those that love to take a punt on players coming back from injury, don't think you can look past this man. seems to be carving up this pre-season. we know what he is capable of when injury free - some solid a scores to rival any premium defender.

i have m.clarke as well and having second thought also. considering trading him down to a rookie and switching from lake to malceski.

Malceski & Grundy from the swans - just doing my head in, looking for a POD from the norm and these two i like but are either worth the risk - say compared to a Suckling?

can always rely on grundy to get a full season out of, i'm just not convinced he can push on to get the scores needed to finish as a top 7 defender by seasons end. but you never know. but for malceski, i really rate his ability to run out of the backline and hit targets, one of the more underrated kicks in the afl. it's just his ability to stay on the park. unfortunately his knees are ticking timebombs that could go at anytime, but as far as scoring potential goes, a better option than grundy for me. can definitely reap the rewards of some great scores with him, but i wonder if the high risk is worth it, much like drummond. both would be great pod's if grundy can find the extra 5-10 or so points in average and if malceski can stay fit.

can always rely on grundy to get a full season out of, i'm just not convinced he can push on to get the scores needed to finish as a top 7 defender by seasons end. but you never know. but for malceski, i really rate his ability to run out of the backline and hit targets, one of the more underrated kicks in the afl. it's just his ability to stay on the park. unfortunately his knees are ticking timebombs that could go at anytime, but as far as scoring potential goes, a better option than grundy for me. can definitely reap the rewards of some great scores with him, but i wonder if the high risk is worth it, much like drummond. both would be great pod's if grundy can find the extra 5-10 or so points in average and if malceski can stay fit.

Cheers, just cant press the go button on the eski yet, another question - does anyone know if freo have a spot they can upgrade Lee Spurr to?

Malceski is really tempting, has had a good pre-season. Averaged 96.4 and 101.1 in his last two full seasons, definitely premium level for a back.

What is everyone's thoughts on Goddard? I just got rid of him for Deledio so i could have enough to get Scotty Thompson over Hayes?

At the moment my backline is looking like this...

Goddard, Deledio, H.Shaw, Birchall, Broughton, Golby, M.Clarke... Ellis, Bugg

Strong

I have the same but with lake and hargraves instead of marty and golby. Also swapped birchall for scotland.

What is everyone's thoughts on Goddard? I just got rid of him for Deledio so i could have enough to get Scotty Thompson over Hayes?

Like this trade a lot, but get Goddard in as quickly as possible. Because even though he had an average year last year by his standards, he still had the highest defenders average at 108, and the year previous the competition highest at 130.

Cheers,

Like this trade a lot, but get Goddard in as quickly as possible. Because even though he had an average year last year by his standards, he still had the highest defenders average at 108, and the year previous the competition highest at 130.

Cheers,

Thanks, so are u saying to get rid of lids or someone else once i get another 30k for goddard?

Thanks, so are u saying to get rid of lids or someone else once i get another 30k for goddard?

I could be completely wrong, but don't think there is anything between Goddard and Deledio. Goddard has a new coach this year so it may mean he doesn't have his best year, where as Deledio is been moved to the midfield where he will hopefully improve his output. If you can, get them both into your starting team like I have, but if you can't, definitely keep Deledio if it means you can upgrade Hayes to Thompson, which is a great trade in my opinion.

Cheers,

What everyone's thought on Paul Bower? Price at 157k, will he get a game for Carlton?

We are missing Duigan, Jammo & Laidler from R1 team so Bower is a certainty of at least the first 1-3 gaes depending on recovery of those three. It is doubtful he in best 22 but he will get a chance to stake his claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back