2013 All Australian Team Announcement

Remove this Banner Ad

I watch all the games and feel that Barlow's season has been under-rated. Fyfe started off slowly and improved over the course of the season. Would you agree that Barlow has been better than Mundy ?

I guess that Barlow will be top 3 in the B and F.

Yeah Barlow has been better than Mundy and should have been in the squad ahead of him

Good to see Sam Mitchell there (although I think he should be in midfield). The best user of the footy in the comp I think which is sometimes overlooked

This is only Mitchell's 2nd AA and he has not been named in the midfield either time. Mitchell is a criminally underrated footballer who could very well be the Hawks best player of this generation. 4 Peter Crimmins medals and a good chance to get his 5th.

Open your eyes...

Inside 50's

T. Cloke - 73
N. Riewoldt - 71

Contested marks

T. Cloke - ave 2.6
N. Riewoldt - ave 1.8

Goals

T. Cloke - ave 3.4
N. Riewoldt - 2.1

Marks inside 50

T. Cloke - ave 4.5 (99)
N. Riewoldt - ave 3.4 (72)

Tackles

T. Cloke - ave 1.3
N. Riewoldt - ave 2.0

What about marks and disposals per game?

Watson should have been skipper.

Nobody led like him this year, on and off the field. His leadership was absolutely supreme.

Joel Selwood? LOL, the bloke had an absolute ****in cakewalk this year. Good luck to him and he's a super player and leader, but he faced nothing like Watson did this year.

Watson dealt with circumstances of his and the club's own making. No credit for that IMO. He led his team to be the first one ever kicked out of finals. That's meritorious now?

I'm happy for him to be in. But full forward while the Coleman medalist gets pushed to the pocket is a marketing gimmick.

I'm not that stressed about it. Roughie has been played all over the shop for the Hawks this year, goes into centre bounces, runs around in the midfield, occassional ruck, and dominant forward. Cameron really only played FF and that is that

How is Mackie's selection a monumental blunder? As other Cats supporters have pointed out to those who do not see Geelong week in, week out, Mackie will be right up there in the Cats B&F.

There are no monumental blunders when it comes to AA

Hodge may well win Hawthorn's. His omission is a glaring mistake.

The only really glaring difference for me is in rebound 50s. Mackie wins a lot of the other key statistics. Yeah, yeah, I know there's more than statistics to go by, but unless you're a Swans or Geelong supporter, you probably haven't watched a whole lot of either of them play or if you have you haven't paid particular attention to either of them.

Player Statistics Comparison

Andrew Mackie Name Nick Malceski
Geelong Cats Team Sydney Swans
Defender Position Defender
197 Career Games 150
Glenelg Origin Eastern Ranges
August 7, 1984 Date of Birth August 15, 1984
29yr 1mth Age 29yr 1mth
192cm Height 188cm
86kg Weight 86kg
2002 National Draft Last Drafted In 2002 National Draft
Round 1, Pick #7 Last Draft Position Round 5, Pick #64
Geelong Cats Last Drafted By Sydney Swans
2013 Stats for Season 2013
24 Games 24
14.5 Kicks Per Game 17.3
6.6 Handballs Per Game 4.9
21.1 Disposals Per Game 22.2
6.5 Marks Per Game 4.0
0.2 Goals Per Game 0.2
0.2 Behinds Per Game 0.2
1.7 Tackles Per Game 2.0
0 Hitouts Per Game 0
3.7 Inside 50s Per Game 3.4
0.5 Goal Assists Per Game 0.2
0.6 Frees For Per Game 0.5
0.6 Frees Against Per Game 1.1
5.2 Contested Possessions Per Game 4.4
15.4 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 15.8
16.1 Effective Disposals Per Game 16.3
76.3% Effective Disposals % Per Game 73.4%
2.2 Clangers Per Game 3.3
0.4 Contested Marks Per Game 0.2
0 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0
0.5 Clearances Per Game 0.7
2.8 Rebound 50s Per Game 7.8
2.8 One Percenters Per Game 3.1
0.5 Bounces Per Game 2.2
87.8 Time On Ground % Per Game

Neither deserved Malceski struggled against good sides, and Mackie isn't in the top 50 this year.

This is only Mitchell's 2nd AA and he has not been named in the midfield either time. Mitchell is a criminally underrated footballer who could very well be the Hawks best player of this generation. 4 Peter Crimmins medals and a good chance to get his 4th.

Considering Matthew is the only Hawk to get more than 4 PC medals and he could win his 5th is amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, that was a recreational drug not a performance enhancing one. Or did I get something wrong?

Cocaine is certainly banned under S6 WADA and most probably not approved by Federal regulators so maybe S0 as well. But he was just in possession of it, not taking it - so feel free to cast all the aspersions you like.

Cameron named on excitement and hype alone. All Australian forward in a team that won one game.. No.
Mackie is also a surprising one to get in, alot of others that should have been ahead of him. Jobe Watson as well, out for 3-4 weeks and didn't really do anything last month or so. But guess the Selectors have their favourites..

Completely agree on Cameron. A possible chance as he did kick a lot of goals, that's fine, maybe on the bench. But full-forward? You've got to be kidding. Didn't a guy called ROUGHEAD actually win the Coleman? You know, the award for kicking the most goals? Ridiculous decision.

Mackie actually isn't a bad call. He's been very, very consistent for the last 3 years now, and hardly played a bad game this year. Underlined that by being easily our best against you guys a fortnight ago.

Completely agree on Cameron. A possible chance as he did kick a lot of goals, that's fine, maybe on the bench. But full-forward? You've got to be kidding. Didn't a guy called ROUGHEAD actually win the Coleman? You know, the award for kicking the most goals? Ridiculous decision.

Mackie actually isn't a bad call. He's been very, very consistent for the last 3 years now, and hardly played a bad game this year. Underlined that by being easily our best against you guys a fortnight ago.

What do these have to do with this years All Australian team though?

People have short memories. Jack Riewoldt won the Coleman last year and didn't even make the side.

Roughie in the FP and playing 2nd ruck is a logical selection.

Fraser Gehrig won the Coleman in '05 and didn't get in the side.

Scott Cummings won in '99 and didn't get in the side.

Mackie over Hibberd is an absolutely staggering selection, yes he has a had a good year but has been streets behind Hibberd.
Hibberd (I know he wasnt even in the 40 but he had a far better year then Mackie) beat him comfortably in basically every stat that matters as a HBF, and was a lot more accountable as a defender...I would just love to see the AA panel try to explain that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 All Australian Team Announcement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back