D2 2013 Div2, the thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
D2 Insider has a new talking topic. Who are the dirtiest teams in D2?

The Insider votes St Johns ahead of St Mary's.

Why does that even need to be a topic mate? I hope there are no responses!

Did anyone see the SMS v therry game? High standard? Good game? Usual suspects play well??

Gentlemen,

What a week it has been in AFL football. I myself was amazed at the scenes that occurred not only on Friday night, but on Wednesday morning as well. I was stunned to think this is happening to such a respected and idolised figure such as Adam Goodes.
It made me wonder - has anyone seen or heard of such behaviour at our level of football?
DISCUSS!

I’ll offer you my tips as well, if only for some levity. I wasn’t too far off with my tips last week, but I’ll leave margins out of this time. I’ve highlighted all teams as well as Dave Boundy, because I know how much he is adored.

A fit looking Yarra Valley overran our boys on the weekend, and I would expect that they will do the same against St. Mary’s at home on Saturday.

Eltham were pushed all the way last week, and the weaknesses exposed will provide an easy target for flag favourite’s Therry.

Ivanhoe were beaten by forum- favourite Dave Boundy’s boys on the weekend, and while St. Leo’s were also defeated, I think they are getting closer to that first win and will be hungrier on the weekend.

Can Boundy carry Old Parade to a win over South Melbourne? My heart screams yes, but my head says no as South seek redemption at home this weekend following a hefty loss.

Please excuse my inimitable positivity when it comes to the Gryphons. I think they will be ultra competitive this week, and force the St. John’s boys into enough mistakes to capitalise on. The Gryphons’ best football is capable enough of doing damage - however they don’t come to play often enough. They do have some big man issues, and are obviously missing their key defender Laynton Allan. Allan was probably leading the club’s Best and Fairest voting before being forced to the sidelines a couple of weeks ago.

Forever modest,

The Modest Gryphon

P.S
Let me just say how much of a treat it was to see the umpire standard at East Caulfield Reserve on Saturday. If you know those umpires personally, please pat them on the back for me!

Would have had a clean sheet last week but for the Monash boys who don't appear to perform as well as they are talked up on this thread.

Yarra Valley vs St Marys Salesian
Old Eltham vs Therry Penola
Ivanhoe vs Emmaus St Leos
South Melbourne vs Old Paradians
St Johns vs Monash Gryphons

Would have had a clean sheet last week but for the Monash boys who don't appear to perform as well as they are talked up on this thread.

Tough times for the black and whites or Hoes (none of this Magpies crap) but I am hopeful we can sneak across the line against St Leos who will be relying on the Baranellos, MacDougall, Ellis and robin to get them over the line. Hoes by 5 points.

Eltham are off the boil a little and against the red hot Therry I expect they'll come up short by 5 goals.

Yarra to be get the points against St Marys who are acquitting themselves well week in, week out. Yarra by 4 goals.

South Melbourne at home against Parade by 5 goals.

St Johns to be too slick against the Guiness by 10 goals.

Best of luck to all and no injuries.

5/5 last week total 23/35

Cracking round of footy this week

Eltham over Therry

Yarra Valley over St Mary's by 3 goals

Emmaus over Ivanhoe by 2 goals

St. John's over Monash by 6 goals

Sth Melbourne over Parade by 3 goals

Couldn't agree more, the relegation battle is a four way race IMO, St Leo's, Ivanhoe, Parade and Monash.

Yarra
Turtles (at home to prove they are genuine contenders)
St Leo's (y upset for the round)
South Melbourne
St Johns

Round 7 Preview They say one can begin to truly analyse the ladder after about six rounds and whilst I am not about to rule exceptions out, it is rare for anyone lower than 6th at this point to see September action. Percentage is always a fine indicator of class and on that proviso we have one standout team in Therry, followed by four approximately at the same level, who are again well ahead of 6-10th. If I were to select a four for round 18 something tells me that St Mary’s are the most vulnerable and The Jocs most likely to replace them, but I am happy to be proven wrong on this one and most likely will be… Eltham over Emmaus by 36 Pts (The Animals played far more accountable football last weekend, but have not sung the club song since last year. Expect nothing to change on this issue as the Turtles are far too classy and will win it regardless. The final margin depends on their mindset throughout the day). Yarra Valley over Monash by 5 Pts (Clear pick of the week with so many variables and motivations. The Bushrangers still feel the pain of their Preliminary Final loss to the Gryphons a couple of seasons back which delayed their progression a year, however, Monash have club legend, Lee Wells 300th game as motivation and what better way to pay homage to him would a close win against an opposition of quality be. I still rate Yarra Valley as the more potent side however, and Pollard and Yeo should do enough to get Bushrangers over the line despite the valiant efforts of Matty Fletcher and co. Should be a corker). Therry over SMS by 32 Pts (If the Lions play half as well as last week they will do this in a canter, but the Saints are a plucky unit who give no quarter and will perpetuate defensive acts time and time again. I suspect this will be an arm wrestle in the first half, but Therry to show why they are the flag favourites in the Premiership quarter. Egglestone and Trimble to be the difference for the visitors). Parade over Ivanhoe by 13 Pts (Neither of these two can kick a winning score at present, but you feel that Parade has the far better defence and will do enough at home in a low scoring contest. Do not expect a high standard game, more like a 70-57 dour struggle. Boundy will kick four and win the game for the Raiders). St Johns over SMD by 38 Pts (Not sure if I’ve tipped the Jocs correctly since round 1, so they are likely to put in a shocker here, but surely they can win this one at home to remain in touch with the four. The Bloods defence is admirable, but they lack the match-winners like Ladson and Scott).
Round 7 Review

5/5 (24/35 cumulative) was a welcome return to form in a week where perhaps nothing too defining was revealed.

Round 8 Preview

Bushrangers over SMS by 13 Pts (match of the day but the home ground will be pivotal).
Therry over Eltham by 4 Pts (Clear match of the day but the Lions are the form side of the comp and the wet will only help their cause).
Hoes over Animals by 13 Pts (Surely Ivanhoe will get the points)
Paradians over SMD by 4 Pts (Could be a nil all draw, but Boundy’s men just)
Jocs over Gryphs by 22 Pts (St Johns to be far too skillful)

Good luck to all

Quasi

Must have been quiet a game at St Johns? In fact given the amount of rain overnight there were some high scores kicked across the comp!

Really surprising loss by St Johns on Saturday.
Big match in 2 weeks time with Therry vs Yarra that will show who the team to beat is.

Yarra are so far behind Therry its not funny..

I'm back boys.

Tell you what lads, if the dreary Melbourne weather is getting you down, follow Christmas Carroll's lead and book yourself a beautiful sojourn in Bali. Not only have I come back with enough Bintang singlets for all the lads at Tommy Carroll reserve, I've come back sunned, refreshed and ready to tackle the second half of the season.

Shocked to see the lads couldn't get up over Monash, surprising result! Although I'm sure we won where it counted, punches thrown. LAWL, Jokes. We play tough at St Johns but most of the time it's fair!

And as for The Hum, saying that based on Geography he would assume we are the dirtiest team in the comp. Please mate give us a spell. Granted we have some blokes from the wrong side of the tracks and our home ground is in the heart of Blue Collar Dandenong, we treat our opponents with the utmost respect, players and crowd alike.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yarra are so far behind Therry its not funny..

I disagree..... After seeing their game against SMS on the weekend I think it may be a 3 horse race!
With the likes of Wines, Collie and Trend through the middle as well as a host of others that go in, it will be a fantastic battle with therrys midfield. I don't think SMS are quite there just yet... They are carried by Gatehouse, Latsas and Kenyon. Will be a good battle for fourth between them and st johns!

Round 8 Preview

Bushrangers over SMS by 13 Pts (match of the day but the home ground will be pivotal).
Therry over Eltham by 4 Pts (Clear match of the day but the Lions are the form side of the comp and the wet will only help their cause).
Jocs over Gryphs by 22 Pts (St Johns to be far too skillful)

Round 8 Review

3/5 (27/40 cumulative) was a fair return only in a week that revealed nothing we didn’t already know. Reckon the four is almost set. Sure St Johns can still easily make, but I reckon if they are dropping game to the Gryphs at home, their form is too inconsistent. Relegation on the other hand is far from decided. Emmaus are obviously short priced favourites for the drop, but any of the bottom five clubs could still find themselves in this dreaded zone come the season’s end.

Round 9 Preview

Gryphons over Animals by 6 Pts (Emmaus match up well against Monash and will push them all the way in search for their first win. Reckon they will fall agonisingly short though with Kye Cherian best afield for the Gryphs).

Old Eltham over SMS by 10 Pts (Some very close match up this round and this one is no exception. Not sure St Mary’s will be able to keep The Turtles under 100 points though as they have too many match-winners).

Jocs over Raiders by 8 Pts (I’ve given up on Parade, so put em’ down as your lock of the week. St Johns cannot backed with any confidence, however their best footy would see them win comfortably).

Therry over Yarra Valley by 27 Pts (Reckon the Lions will flex their muscles and show the competition who’s best.).

SMD over Ivanhoe by 13 Pts (Another I have no firm opinion on although Districts play their ground most effectively, especially when it is wet, so Bloods for me).

Good luck to alll

Quasi

Round 8 Preview

Jocsover Gryphs by 22 Pts (St Johns to be far too skillful)

Round 8 Review

3/5 (27/40 cumulative) was a fair return only in a week that revealed nothing we didn’t already know. Reckon the four is almost set. Sure St Johns can still easily make, but I reckon if they are dropping game to the Gryphs at home, their form is too inconsistent. Relegation on the other hand is far from decided. Emmaus are obviously short priced favourites for the drop, but any of the bottom five clubs could still find themselves in this dreaded zone come the season’s end.

Round 9 Preview

Gryphons over Animals by 6 Pts (Emmaus match up well against Monash and will push them all the way in search for their first win. Reckon they will fall agonisingly short though with Kye Cherian best afield for the Gryphs).

Old Eltham over SMS by 10 Pts (Some very close match up this round and this one is no exception. Not sure St Mary’s will be able to keep The Turtles under 100 points though as they have too many match-winners).

Jocs over Raiders by 8 Pts (I’ve given up on Parade, so put em’ down as your lock of the week. St Johns cannot backed with any confidence, however their best footy would see them win comfortably).

Therry over Yarra Valley by 27 Pts (Reckon the Lions will flex their muscles and show the competition who’s best.).

SMD over Ivanhoe by 13 Pts (Another I have no firm opinion on although Districts play their ground most effectively, especially when it is wet, so Bloods for me).

Good luck to alll

Quasi
Gryphs over st leos by 10 goals. Gryphs back in town after the St Johns win. Too much class for St Leos.

Eltham have been off the boil a little of late and St Marys are tough to beat at home but I expect eltham to win by 25 points.

Jocs chip and run game to tear OP to shreds by 90 pts.

Therry too much run for Yarra by 5 goals.

South have a lot of talent forward of centre and have some seriously big units running around. However loyalty says the hoes by 12 points.

Monash to beat st Leo's in a close one. Note Monash lost this fixture last year.

The Turtles to beat SMS comfortably.

Thierry to beat Yarra in a close-ish one... Congrats to Eggleston and Bannister being selected in the Vafa squad. And Savage for Yarra.

Jocs over OP.

SMD over Ivanhoe only by home ground advantage.

2/5 last round 25/40 total

Eltham over St Mary's

Therry over Yarra Valley by 3 goals in the match of the round

Ivanhoe over Sth Melbourne by a goal

Monash over Emmaus by 5 goals

St Johns over parade by 6 goals

Some very interesting games this week that will go a long way to shaping ta couple of clubs season f the results don't go their way.

Emmaus St Leos vs Monash Gryphons
St Marys Salesian vs Old Eltham
Old Paradians vs St Johns
Therry Penola vs Yarra Valley
South Melbourne vs Ivanhoe

Some very interesting games this week that will go a long way to shaping ta couple of clubs season f the results don't go their way.

Emmaus St Leos vs Monash Gryphons
St Marys Salesian vs Old Eltham
Old Paradians vs St Johns
Therry Penola vs Yarra Valley
South Melbourne vs Ivanhoe

Saturday's results have opened up the relegation race with 5 sides only one game apart.

6 wins may not be enough to survive this year which is very unusual and very harsh on the team that gets relegated.

2/5 (28/45 overall)

Monash comfortably over SMD at home
YV by 30-odd against OP
Turtles by a similar margin over Ivanhoe
This could get messy with Therry beating St Leos
SMS to run-over the out of form St Johns

Tips for the weekend are:

Monash over south by 21 points.
Yarra by 52 over Parade
Hoes to get over the line by 9 points over Eltham
Therry over St Leos by 83 points
SMS to beat St Johns by 15 points

This could be the season defining round for the final four. The result of the Saints clash could decide if the final four is settled this far out from the finals action.

Monash Gryphons vs South Melbourne
Old Paradians vs Yarra Valley
Ivanhoe vs Old Eltham
Therry Penola vs Emmaus St Leos
St Johns vs St Marys Salesian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back