D2 2013 Div2, the thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting reading, certainly looks as if the umpires have ruffled a few feathers in the early rounds!

A wise man once said to me "I never comment on umpires and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat!" - Dave Boundy, 2012

Speaking of the great man , its been refreshing to see players from many clubs elevating themselves towards to halls of greatness that Boundy resides in. Have been super impressed with the likes of the Bannisters, Ivanhoe's Harris and Close and Savage out in YV wine country.

Jerry G

Not acceptable and I seriously doubt anyone at St Johns would have a bar of this character. Dealt with, we'll see what happens in a week.

Agreed OtP. I logged in here to find a stream of comments and I feel my point was misread. Yes I was disappointed with the umpiring (though clearly not as disappointed as some) and my aim wasn't to take anything away from the great team that is Therry. The main point I wish I had raised was simple. As a former player, I recollect stewing over bad games as supporters told me how poorly I performed, and had to sit and wait to see if I was going to be dropped. If I wasn't I'd make sure I made every post a winner the following the week. I was suggesting that perhaps the umpires are experiencing a touch of complacency, knowing the cheque is in the mail and their position not threatened from week to week.

I hope everyone understands what I am saying.

Now, I believe I should pay tribute to the TP side that I believe will be, at the very least, playing off in the last match of the year.

Their strengths are simple - they are skillful and disciplined, erring more to the side of the latter. They have some stars, but it's their bottom tier players that really impressed me. They play their roles to perfection, whether it be as a decoy or applying the one per centers. Every team will be picking up aspects of the TP game and trying to apply it to their own, which is a credit to a great side - after all imitation is the greatest form of flattery!

Good luck to them for the rest of the year and I apologise if any wires were crossed in my initial post.

Let's enjoy the rest of the season, and hope that hooligans like the CC don't ruin it for everyone.

Irrefutably sincere,
The Modest Gryphons

Not acceptable and I seriously doubt anyone at St Johns would have a bar of this character. Dealt with, we'll see what happens in a week.
Couldn't agree more OTP! What a tough man he must be coming on here and venting his anger at the umpires! Talk about a keyboard warrior, no club would want to be associated with a person like this!

As for you Jerry, couldn't agree more with your high praise of Dave. He is an out and out gun and its about time somebody not only noticed but paid tribute to the legend he is!

On a side note, very interesting leaderboard in the goal kicking this year, good to see Ciavola has some serious competition!

To a point, TMG, to a point. While a lot of the focus is at the top level of umpiring there are plenty of observers and spies and people willing to feed back through the appropriate channels. If those two - and the young one in particular - were as bad as the scuttlebutt suggests then there is a very good chance that the inhabitants of the EP control tower already know about it and have them on the radar.

Young guys are usually being closely coached, especially if they are in a development squad, and to do D2 seniors he probably is. Just as players go out week after week to play the best they can, same with umpires.

Good luck this weekend!

Couldn't agree more OTP! What a tough man he must be coming on here and venting his anger at the umpires! Talk about a keyboard warrior, no club would want to be associated with a person like this!

I know! The effrontery of the guy. He had me hot under the arms and all screamy down the legs, let me tell you.

:rolleyes:

I know! The effrontery of the guy. He had me hot under the arms and all screamy down the legs, let me tell you.

:rolleyes:

Well haven't we had an eventfull 12 hours on this thread, with the lows of Modest Gryphons first post and CC's rants to the now uplifting and encouraging posts in the past few hours.

I tell you what MG if nothing else you have certainly brought this thread to life, it's funny what a little umpire bashing can do ;).

I'm with you ROMP I am loving the shoot out that it happening on the league goal kicking leaderboard... If only Close was available for every game. Despite what CC may think of him, when he plays, he scores. Will be good to have a week without him villifying another ameture, Player, umpire or other wise.

I must say my confidence of Eltham romping home this years flag has slightly diminished. it'll be a 3 way shoot-out YV, Therry and our mighty turtles. YV don't have a great track record come final time though i've heard....

FF

Your defense of these putrid umpires has incensed me so much that I'm going to let my emotions take over.

We at St Johns hate each and every single umpire on the planet. You gutless, skinny, ugly human beings don't have the courage, nor the ability to play football so you appease your scorned souls by ruining the enjoyment of those that do play. Do us a favour you envious nobs, either learn how to umpire or quit umpiring. Go and spend your Saturday's playing video games, it's your inevitable destiny anyway you pack of virgins.

Over the past weeks i have continually read the posts written by Christmas_Carrols and the total disrespectful he is showing to other clubs in D2, to the umpiring fraternity and indeed to our club St John.s.
As member of the clubs committee i want it to be made well aware that the comments made by this so called JOC ssupporter is in no way a reflection of what our club stands for. I find it disgusting and embarrassing the comments that have been made and want to ensure you that as a club we continue to remain committed to supporting the umpires in their role in officiating our games week in week out as well as supporting good footbll and footballers from around the league.

As mentioned by this Christmas_Carrols in an earlier post, he does not wish to reveal his identity for fear of backlash and condemnation. This cowardly act of being hero behind a keyboard is not acceptable and should this poster in fact be a player, official or supporter of our club and not just a troll trying to drum up hate for us from around the league , we will deal with them and ensure that our culture and repuation through 22 years of playing in the VAFA is not dented any further then it already has been from this faceless coward.

Good Luck for the rest of the season, it looks already as if it is to be enthralling right to the final weeks in both Seniors and Reserves.

Go JOCs

Dylan

i have coached against the joc a few times i am suprised at christmas carrols comments as i have been impressed with how well this club has been run showing respect for the visiting clubs and umpires they make you feel welcome in the social rooms after the game and yes even the umps have been in there having an ale or two after the game

Some people do take this too seriously. The Big Footy boards here are unsanctioned and unofficial forums with no user authentication. 95% of what you read is bullshit and has been for a long time. No one who has been here longer than 5 minutes honestly believes CC is from St Johns. He actually seems to know a lot about the Gryphons and given most posters here are Gryphons I wouldn't be surprised.

So Dylan, Rob and any other representative of a club coming out of the woodwork, by responding to guys like CC you are just adding fuel to the fire. You're better off leaving it be, so the trolls can continue to troll each other. Maybe you could petition VAFA to get an official forum going where everyone knows who each other is but am guessing it wouldn't be that popular.

Now back to the footy talk.... how crap are those umpires! Jokes.

Some people do take this too seriously. The Big Footy boards here are unsanctioned and unofficial forums with no user authentication. 95% of what you read is bullshit and has been for a long time. No one who has been here longer than 5 minutes honestly believes CC is from St Johns. He actually seems to know a lot about the Gryphons and given most posters here are Gryphons I wouldn't be surprised.

So Dylan, Rob and any other representative of a club coming out of the woodwork, by responding to guys like CC you are just adding fuel to the fire. You're better off leaving it be, so the trolls can continue to troll each other. Maybe you could petition VAFA to get an official forum going where everyone knows who each other is but am guessing it wouldn't be that popular.

Now back to the footy talk.... how crap are those umpires! Jokes.

You make a valid point Terry and my opinion is that he is in fact just a troll and not a member of our club. But i do believe it is important that if he is a member of our club, that fellow posters are aware that his comments are based on his opinions and are not views made from within the club. For a supporter of the club he is yet to make any comments based on knowledge he would have by being within the club. Not even a name of a player that played well, struggling with injury or is making a return.

Back to the footy. It does look at the moment that a couple of clubs are standing out in the seniors but based on results over the season so far. Each week there seems to be an upset or 2 which gives hope to those clubs fighting for the spots in the lower half of the 4.

The reserves competition looks pretty even across the board as well. Other then 1 or 2 sides which look to be struggling, each week again like the seniors could well throw up some different results.

I have a feeling that it is not going to be clear cut this year and it seems most games now are becoming cut throat as you don't want to fall a game behind the pack.

Now Gentlemen,
Let's leave past week behind us and look forward to this week's games.

Unfortunately for the rest of the forum's participants I will start off with a little bit about my favourite club, with respect to it's champion defender Lee Wells's 300th game. He has been a pillar of the club since it's inception and his complete dedication to not only the Gryphons, but football as a whole is something to behold.

For that reason I believe his team will be too strong for Yarra Valley by 20 points.

In the other matches:

I can't see Eltham going down to St. Leo's, as their relegation battle continues. This will probably be a 40+ point win for the turtles

The Therry Penola juggernaut will roll on, however not as squeaky clean as many would predict. The St. Mary's boys know how to play their ground, and will be within 15 points at the final siren.

I have a feeling the St. John's boys are just getting started, and I think they will give a good hiding to Sth. Melbourne by about 30 points.

The last game is a tough one. Nothing splits these sides from what I've seen. I think the home ground advantage will be worth about 10 points, seeing Old Parade outlast Ivanhoe. Let it be known this tip is not to appease the obvious Boundy bias that drowns this forum!

Wayne Gretzky once said - "A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be." D2 Insider says - "A good football team sits in a good spot on the ladder. A great football team will get there by Round 18."
Taking a look at my predicted ladder, Old Eltham (v Emmaus), Yarra Valley (v Monash), Therry Penola (v St Mary's), Ivanhoe (v Old Paradians) and St Johns (v South Melbourne), all win this week.
That's the Insider...OUT!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morning All!

Wowee, has this thread exploded!

In the interest on transparency and in contrast to most of the 'keyboard warriors' here, I'll be forthcoming with my identity.

I'm a monash gryphons player and supporter through and through. My posts will undoubtedly be laden with bias for the boys in maroon, for this I apologize.

Moving forward from this ghastly umpire debate, lets address the situation the current situation in Div2.

In my humble (read bias) opinion, this is my take on the season to date.

Therry, best side in the comp by a mile, will take an absolute capitulation to miss out on a stint in Div1 next year. The Bannister brothers are a class above.

Eltham, touted early as division favorites however they've had to step aside while the steam train that is Therry Penola chugs along. Played against these blokes at home and they weren't super impressive. I suspect this perception will change once we play them on their monster of a ground.

The aforementioned will unquestionably feature in the pointy end of the season, anything can happen finals time but until then, sit back and admire their superiority over the rest of the competition.

After those 2 sides, the competition starts to get interesting. I believe Yarra Valley, Old Paradians, St Mary's and Monash will be vying for the final 2 spots in the 4. You'd imagine Yarra are near certainties which leaves the latter 3 fighting for the illustrious 4th rung come seasons end.

In terms of the relegation battle, in the fear of offending my loyal readers, I won't make a prediction, and to be honest, an argument could be made for each of St Leo's, South Melbourne, Old Paradians and Monash to face the red zone. That's how close the competition is, one week a side is fighting for a spot in the 4 and the next week they are starving off relegation.

Good luck to all this week and beyond, looking forward to a good old yarn over the World Wide Web from here onwards.

Yours in health (and footy!)

The Hum

After watching Therry last week there is no doubt that they are the team to beat but stop there 2 forwards and they are very beatable. If you have a well structured backline and game plan you will be able to stop the brothers and then you will beat them.

After watching Therry last week there is no doubt that they are the team to beat but stop there 2 forwards and they are very beatable. If you have a well structured backline and game plan you will be able to stop the brothers and then you will beat them.

Yarra taping opposition games these days?

Coach Robin, is Retired#6 your forward scout?

Lads,

Surely we don't all retreat back into our shells as soon as that Muppet from St John's gets carded and the umpiring debate dies down?

It's Friday morning boys, work should slide into the background while a debate about this weekends fixtures rages on!

I'll get the ball rolling.

Old Eltham will take the chocolates over St Leo's easily, strengthening the case that perhaps St Leo's should have stayed relegated.

Monash vs Yarra Valley. Game of the round The once Division 3 rivals meet for the first time since Yarra capitulated in the 2011 preliminary final. Lee Wells plays his 300th and Robbo will be sure to improve on last weeks performance. Monash by 23

St Mary's vs Therry. If it wasn't for the aforementioned blockbuster, this would be the game drawing all the media attention. Therry will be too strong here

Old Paradians yet to fire a shot this season, probably won't this week either. Ivanhoe by a few

After that ignoramus from St Johns, I'll be backing whoever is against them, week in, week out. I'm selecting South, hopefully by 15 goals.

Tips for the weekend:

Eltham easily over St Leos by 8 goals.

Monash over Yarra by 3 goals. Monash a 5 goal better side on their own turf and their game style doean't suit yarra.

Therry over st Marys by 6 goals. St Marys have had fantastic results so far and will be keen to put on a good show. This will give us a better indication of where they stand. Therry too strong though!

Ivanhoe over OP's by two goals. Hoes very disappointing of late and getting sucked in to the relegation struggle. I will be happy to get away with a win.

St Johns were very impressive last week but South have been competitive week in week out. St Johns by 3 goals.

Good luck to all and no injuries!

Round 6 Preview

SMS over Emmaus by 31 Pts (The Animals were far better last time out with the Baranelllo brothers and Nic ‘Rockin’ Robin amongst the better contributors. However, they come up against a side that could well be undefeated save for some poor kicking against Monash a couple of weeks back and although the Sainters are not thumping sides, they would fancy themselves to have a strong win. The ‘Regals’ such as Higginbotham, Strangeward and Cropley will be too good).

Eltham over Parade by 48 Pts (Reports from Domeney suggest the Turtles were pretty cocky about their chances prior to last week’s game and this lack of focus cost them dearly. I do not expect any complacency from the home side this week though and Parade’s lack of scoring options is sure to be exploited again. Turtles comfortably).
Ivanhoe over St Johns by 3 Pts (Reckon this is the toughest tip of the round as both sides have mixed their form in 2013. Reckon the Hoes possess the greater potency going forward with Ash Close in the square and whilst their defence leaks too many goals, I suspect they will just do enough).

Therry over Monash by 11 Pts (The Lions are the form side of the competition at present and Jarrod Bannister has taken over as the sections premier forward. What I really like about Therry though is their miserly defensive structures that choke the opposition into turning the ball over in the ‘trampoline zone’ and their subsequent run and spread from these clangers. Monash are beginning to get a few of their better players back and will fight hard, but fall just short).

Bushrangers over Bloods by 28 Pts (South have a solid defence, but like Parade lack the necessary firepower to trouble the better sides. Yarra Valley were back to their free running best last week and will look to further their push for a permanent spot in the four. Expect the Bloods to be in this one for three quarters but run out of legs in the last when the pressure is on).

Round 6 Review

4/5 (19/30 cumulative) was a far more respectable return as this division begins to sort itself out somewhat. My inability to correctly predicate the fortunes of St Johns continues as they completely blew the Hoes off the park in the second half at Ivanhoe. Dyker and Ladson were amongst the better players in a most even performance from the Jocs. If they could only continue to show this form they will be a serious contender, however, it could be argued that Ivanhoe are particularly weak. The Animals were harder to shake than many had predicted but the Saints did enough to win without ever getting into top gear. The inability that SMS seem to have in destroying weaker sides may come back to haunt in percentage terms later in the year. Similarly, out at Research, Old Paradians stuck it out against the Turtles and were only beaten by a first quarter blitz. Mick Hargraves relished the absence of Ciavola to boot a half D. South were also plucky at home but beaten by a far better collective unit - at Lindsay Hassett - the Bushrangers seem to be regaining their mojo somewhat in recent times. Finally, Therry Penola made a true statement to the rest of the competition, ‘keep up if you can’, in the most relentless and athletic display of modern football we have seen this year. The Gryphons were never in the contest as the Lions small men fed the Bannister Brothers with precise and quick football. They are the clear competition favourites now.

Round 7 Preview

They say one can begin to truly analyse the ladder after about six rounds and whilst I am not about to rule exceptions out, it is rare for anyone lower than 6th at this point to see September action. Percentage is always a fine indicator of class and on that proviso we have one standout team in Therry, followed by four approximately at the same level, who are again well ahead of 6-10th. If I were to select a four for round 18 something tells me that St Mary’s are the most vulnerable and The Jocs most likely to replace them, but I am happy to be proven wrong on this one and most likely will be…

Eltham over Emmaus by 36 Pts (The Animals played far more accountable football last weekend, but have not sung the club song since last year. Expect nothing to change on this issue as the Turtles are far too classy and will win it regardless. The final margin depends on their mindset throughout the day).

Yarra Valley over Monash by 5 Pts (Clear pick of the week with so many variables and motivations. The Bushrangers still feel the pain of their Preliminary Final loss to the Gryphons a couple of seasons back which delayed their progression a year, however, Monash have club legend, Lee Wells 300th game as motivation and what better way to pay homage to him would a close win against an opposition of quality be. I still rate Yarra Valley as the more potent side however, and Pollard and Yeo should do enough to get Bushrangers over the line despite the valiant efforts of Matty Fletcher and co. Should be a corker).

Therry over SMS by 32 Pts (If the Lions play half as well as last week they will do this in a canter, but the Saints are a plucky unit who give no quarter and will perpetuate defensive acts time and time again. I suspect this will be an arm wrestle in the first half, but Therry to show why they are the flag favourites in the Premiership quarter. Egglestone and Trimble to be the difference for the visitors).

Parade over Ivanhoe by 13 Pts (Neither of these two can kick a winning score at present, but you feel that Parade has the far better defence and will do enough at home in a low scoring contest. Do not expect a high standard game, more like a 70-57 dour struggle. Boundy will kick four and win the game for the Raiders).

St Johns over SMD by 38 Pts (Not sure if I’ve tipped the Jocs correctly since round 1, so they are likely to put in a shocker here, but surely they can win this one at home to remain in touch with the four. The Bloods defence is admirable, but they lack the match-winners like Ladson and Scott).

Good luck to all

Quasi

SMS over Leo's
Eltham to bounce back
St. John's by 2 goals over hoes
Therry just
Valley to continue from their impressive win last week

Also big plugger for SMS to be the difference in the ressies top of the table clash! Due

All the best for the W/E!

PM

5/5 last week. Go philthy! And how about plugger slotting 6 big ones and the supply from the freight train to see the ressies on top.
Should be a couple of cracking games this weekend. St. John's look to have found some touch and pushing for the 4 along with yarra.

Many picking therry by a fair margin. We had two great contests last year decided by a few points on both occasions. Should be a good challenge for both sides. The SMS boys are excited to see how they stack up against the comps best.

Tips for the week

Eltham
Yarra just. (Could see this going either way though)
SMS
Paradians at home. Really depends on which hoes show up. Been up and down
St. John's by 3 goals. SMD to be competitive but yet again fall just short

All the best
PM

4/5 last week 18/30 total. This week

Eltham over Emmaus.

Therry too strong for St Mary's but will be closer due to being at the postage stamp

Yarra valley over monash by 3 goals

St. John's over Sth Melbourne by 5 goals

Parade over Ivanhoe by a goal

Two important games this week, one at the top and the other at the bottom of the ladder that could be season defining:

Emmaus St Leos vs Old Eltham
Monash Gryphons vs Yarra Valley
St Marys Salesian vs Therry Penola
Old Paradians vs Ivanhoe
St Johns vs South Melbourne

Huge next 2 weeks with the top 4 all playing each other. That will show who really are the teams to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back