Competitions 2013 Dream Team and Supercoach questions here

Remove this Banner Ad

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well it's that time of year again, so ask away! There should be some good Port bargains this season :thumbsu:

Here are a few tips from the experts ;)

I'll answer some questions that are bound to come up:

Yes, we expect Redden to improve in leaps and bounds this year and become our number 1 ruckman.

Yes, we hope Wines plays Round 1 and for the rest of the year, although we have no certainty on that yet.

Yes, Hartlett has been seemingly injury free so far this preseason and looks to be fantasy gold when he's on the park - but is always going to be an injury risk.

Yes, we hope this is the year Boak makes his mark on the competition too.

Shaw/Clurey would have very very low chances to have many opportunities this year.

This board so far seems of the opinion that Stevenson is Best 22. Whether the coaches agree or not is another thing entirely. I'd imagine a lot of Port posters would have him in their teams however.

The above could maybe also apply to Campbell Heath (although we didn't vote him into the best 22).

No, Robbie Gray most likely will not be available Round 1. He probably won't score well for a while either.

Jasper Pittard (super cheap after only playing a quarter of football last year). Yes he'll be best 22, yes he'll be doing a lot of rebound work out of defence, yes you should pick him.

Sam Colquhoun, since a lot of people on the Dream Team board seem to be doing the 'anybody who gets drafted by Poort Powaz will slot straight into their 22' thing that they did with Pfeiffer last year. He won't get games early. He's scrawny, he only just turned 18 and there's lots of competition for the position he plays.

Maybe Angus Monfries? Priced at only 68 due to an injury affected year, has averaged nearly 80 in the past at Essendon and should get a bit more midfield time at Port. Watch his role in the NAB. Not beyond the realms of possibility that he could push 85-90 and be a good 6th/7th forward option.

Watch for Jake Neade as well. There's next to no good forward rookie options this year, Port badly need a small forward and Neade has reportedly been very impressive this pre-season. Neade or even Cameron Hitchcock (only played 2 quarters of football last year, rookie priced) could step up into that role and net you some decent scores. Watch the NAB cup to see if one of them stakes a claim for a spot, because forward rookies are in short supply.

I'll answer some questions that are bound to come up:

Yes, we expect Redden to improve in leaps and bounds this year and become our number 1 ruckman.

Yes, we hope Wines plays Round 1 and for the rest of the year, although we have no certainty on that yet.

Yes, Hartlett has been seemingly injury free so far this preseason and looks to be fantasy gold when he's on the park - but is always going to be an injury risk.

Yes, we hope this is the year Boak makes his mark on the competition too.

Shaw/Clurey would have very very low chances to have many opportunities this year.

This board so far seems of the opinion that Stevenson is Best 22. Whether the coaches agree or not is another thing entirely. I'd imagine a lot of Port posters would have him in their teams however.

The above could maybe also apply to Campbell Heath (although we didn't vote him into the best 22).

No, Robbie Gray most likely will not be available Round 1. He probably won't score well for a while either.

Any that I'm missing?

Jasper Pittard at $130K is great value, should average around 70-80.

But Stevenson, Hartlett and Pittard might be a little Port heavy down back.

Any that I'm missing?

Jasper Pittard (super cheap after only playing a quarter of football last year). Yes he'll be best 22, yes he'll be doing a lot of rebound work out of defence, yes you should pick him.

Sam Colquhoun, since a lot of people on the Dream Team board seem to be doing the 'anybody who gets drafted by Poort Powaz will slot straight into their 22' thing that they did with Pfeiffer last year. He won't get games early. He's scrawny, he only just turned 18 and there's lots of competition for the position he plays.

Maybe Angus Monfries? Priced at only 68 due to an injury affected year, has averaged nearly 80 in the past at Essendon and should get a bit more midfield time at Port. Watch his role in the NAB. Not beyond the realms of possibility that he could push 85-90 and be a good 6th/7th forward option.

Watch for Jake Neade as well. There's next to no good forward rookie options this year, Port badly need a small forward and Neade has reportedly been very impressive this pre-season. Neade or even Cameron Hitchcock (only played 2 quarters of football last year, rookie priced) could step up into that role and net you some decent scores. Watch the NAB cup to see if one of them stakes a claim for a spot, because forward rookies are in short supply.

dav3, maybe copy and paste Bernie's post and mine into the OP? Might reduce the amount of people we get asking the same questions over and over again.

Hey boys, sorry for the intrusion and if this has already been asked, but how is Robbie Gray going? Has he recovered fully? If not, how many rounds do you expect to him miss? Any info would be great, thanks in advance

DreamTeam rolls around again... Don't get, doubt he will push into the midfield, may play as a small forward but not worth his price tag as a small forward. Probably miss the first 5-6 rounds then take another 5 to get unto match fitness!

Hitchy was going to be my secret weapon... and he's already injured.:( (plantar fascitis - should be back for the start of the season to do his hammy:(:eek:)

Everyone loves Stevenson and no one loves Heath. Does Heath defend more?

Our relatively easy first month, coupled with an abundance of trades, could make mid pricers like Monfries great value.

One to watch.

Wouldn't rule it out, but there's not a huge chance. Will be fighting it out with guys like Campbell Heath, Jack Hombsch and maybe Nick Salter for one spot, and he didn't score well when he got games last year.

Stevenson and Heath would both be better options for a rookie priced Port defender.

Yeah, more stellar list management from the Primus-Rohde axis there.

Draft a guy with ND#51 on the strength of an excellent year at fullback in the WAFL, realise he's undersized and a yard slow at AFL level, so start converting him into a chop'n'change utility before recruiting a slew of superior options via bargain-basement trades and the following year's PSD/rookie drafts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one has mentioned this one

John Butcher
Has had a hip op in early pre season, early reports are that he will 2nd/1st KPF at port if he can remain injury free. Can't see him racking up +85 scores regularly this stage in his career, will be a cheap option due to injuries last year. Should be fit to play some NAB cup games late in the piece, but at his price and this stage, there is better options.

Will Kane Mitchell get upgraded and a gig in the 22 come round one?
how has he been going on the track?

He didn't make the Port board best 22.

From all reports he's training the house down, a couple of players have singled him out for praise, but we knew he was a superb athlete.

Mitchell's one to watch in the nab cup and if he plays well there will be plenty of opportunity for him. He'll be competing with Pfieffer to be upgraded off the rookie list.

Mitchell will only be a chance of promotion if there's a LTI listed senior player. We currently have no spots to upgrade rookies until mid-year (if that rule still exists).

Every year I find myself wanting to put half the power players in my side. This year my considerations are:

Kane Mitchell
Chad Wingard
Ollie Wines

Does anyone have any good opinions on players they think are good buys?

Every year I find myself wanting to put half the power players in my side. This year my considerations are:

Kane Mitchell
Chad Wingard
Ollie Wines

Does anyone have any good opinions on players they think are good buys?

Wines is the only one of those I'd consider at the start of the season. I doubt Wingard will be pulling massive scores at this stage, and Mitchell won't get into the team till mid-season or if we get an LTI (should be a good downgrade option later on though).

I'm looking closer at Newton, Pittard, Stevenson, and Heath.

As if you wouldn't start with Hartlett this year... he will post big scores against Melbourne, GC and GWS in the first few weeks without leaving 1st gear and everyone will be trying to fit him into their defence by round 5.

There are extra trades for some reason this year so it'll be easier to get rid of him if he injures himself too.

Wingard's awkwardly priced at 250k but I wouldn't automatically rule him out. He'll play every game and because of the green vest he's undervalued. Chad has the look of a dream team relevant player, although he might be a year or two away. If he cracks a couple of tons in the nab cup i'll get on board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions 2013 Dream Team and Supercoach questions here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back