NFL 2013 NFL Playoffs - Divisional Round

Remove this Banner Ad

It's probably a noob question but how is it decided which direction the teams go in the 3rd quarter?

Coin toss

Three minutes before the start of the game, the referee meets with captains from both teams for a coin toss. The visiting team calls the toss. The winner of the toss may defer their choice to the start of the second half, or they may take first choice of:
  1. Receiving the kickoff to start the game, or kicking off to start the game
  2. Choosing an end of the field to defend in the first quarter (with the teams switching directions at the end of the first quarter and at the end of the third quarter)
The loser of the toss gets the remaining option.
At the start of the second half, the team that did not choose first (either because they deferred their choice or because they lost the toss) gets the first choice of options.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_rules#Coin_toss

Carolina's problem is their O is sort of one-dimensional.

Not that they can't throw it, just they have limited weapons so it's easy to take that away from them.

I'm surprised their D has buckled as easily as it has the past couple of series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised their D has buckled as easily as it has the past couple of series.

They were talking about Munnerlyn letting Boldin run right by him on that huge play being busted coverage. It wouldn't surprise me, because I can't see anyone on that Carolina D brain-fading like that.

Carolina's O can have periods where they stall and rely on the D doing the same to the opposition.

The worry for them is when the D can't do that. This game reminds me of the first time we played them. Once we started moving the ball through the air the D lost it's sting.

Carolina would have been better off in the conditions we played in yesterday (and of course vice versa).

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL 2013 NFL Playoffs - Divisional Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Back