2013 Player X v Player Y

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know enough about each player, are they likely to be in the team together or are they fighting for the same spot?

Together. Viney will play inside and on some of the opposition's best inside mids to fast track his learning and Toumpas will play more a link man through the middle and occasionally rest forward.

Okay so bit of a dilemma in my forward line. Due to the lack of rookies im loading up on my forward line big time. Currently have Cox, Rockliff, Robinson, Roughead & Macaffer.
Other considerations were:

Pav - Underdone, should fall in price
Buddy - Looks all sorts at the moment, staying away for now with tough draw too
Zorko - gun with full pre season but a bit of an unknown element going into this 2nd season. anything could happen and @470k not sold just yet
Chappy - Getting older with less midfield time
Bartel - Gun but may also see a bit more time on the HFF than in the midfield as Geelong look to develop the next lot of midfielders. Pretty sure this is his first full pre season in a while from memory without a hiccup? please correct me if im wrong
Stevie J - Will gun it in the midfield this year, but suspended round 1.

Coulndt back myself to start with anyone bar Stevie J. So i came across the idea of starting with a a forward who i think will kill it in the first 1-3 rounds and then swap them out for Stevie J. At the moment, im tossing up between Bartel, Chappy and maybe Voldt due to his easy start (but highly unlikely). Bartel love the big games and Hawks in round 1 could see him smash it, similar story for chappy too.

So i ask you,
1. Who do you think will be one of, if not the best averaging forward over the first couple of rounds?
2. Is this stevie J strategy okay to do? I might be going crazy here, so im asking others. I doubt most poeple that have picked their team well will be using any trades after round 1, maybe 1 at the max. Most of the trading will come after round 2 with correcting rookies and etc. So i would preferably like to trade in Stevie J after rounds 1 or 3. Now its just selecting a decent forward who will dominate in those opening rounds to give me just a tad of a head start and then bring in the magician ;)

PS: anyone know how Riewoldt is tracking this pre season? i see he is not named in the squads this weekend. He does play GC, Richmond and GWS in the opening rounds and could well smash it in all 3 of those games. How is he tracking so far??

After a bit of further reading and research the numbers look like this.

Bartel averages 108.5 against both Geelong and North, whilst averaging 90 against Cartlon. Bartel has considerably better numbers than Chappy over the first 3 rounds, and Carlton is one of Stevie J's worst teams to play, so maybe just after round 3 is best time to bring him in?

After a bit of further reading and research the numbers look like this.

Bartel averages 108.5 against both Geelong and North, whilst averaging 90 against Cartlon. Bartel has considerably better numbers than Chappy over the first 3 rounds, and Carlton is one of Stevie J's worst teams to play, so maybe just after round 3 is best time to bring him in?

Neat trick. ;)

Together. Viney will play inside and on some of the opposition's best inside mids to fast track his learning and Toumpas will play more a link man through the middle and occasionally rest forward.

And where does Couch fit into this. It took him ages to break into the team last year. I'm just a little worried that one or both might face the same obstacle.

And where does Couch fit into this. It took him ages to break into the team last year. I'm just a little worried that one or both might face the same obstacle.

Couch ? He doesn't. He's actually been alright this preseason, but he's not best 25, let alone 22.

Look mate, be "worried" all you like. Toumpas and Viney will be staples in the side. The club can't get games into them quickly enough. They're class and the future. Have you seen our midfield ?

They won't play every game due to their loads, but injury free they'll be set for a minimum of 18.

But if you're still concerned leave them alone.

Couch ? He doesn't. He's actually been alright this preseason, but he's not best 25, let alone 22.

Look mate, be "worried" all you like. Toumpas and Viney will be staples in the side. The club can't get games into them quickly enough. They're class and the future. Have you seen our midfield ?

They won't play every game due to their loads, but injury free they'll be set for a minimum of 18.

But if you're still concerned leave them alone.

Yeah well put, hit the nail on the head.

To be honest i wouldnt take Toumpas. hip surgery in the off season and for his price last thing you want is for him to be underdone. Despite his ability, you're safer taking Viney for a much cheaper price as well. If you want another cheap Melbourne player apart from Toumpas then Matt Jones might get a look in, but pretty uncertain at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will North Melbourne really play Currie, Goldstein and Petrie in the same team along with Tarrant and Hansen?
Exactly that's what i have to way up, im hoping its a possibility.

I think you can cross Petrie out of playing any ruck roles anymore though

Currie also clearly head and shoulders above Daw and now the injury compounds that.

Exactly that's what i have to way up, im hoping its a possibility.

I think you can cross Petrie out of playing any ruck roles anymore though

Currie also clearly head and shoulders above Daw and now the injury compounds that.

I dunno about that in regards to Petrie. I guess what im saying if Currie plays it means Hansen, Petrie, Currie, Tarrant all in the same forward line at once for a fair amount of the game. I cant see any team willing to do that way to slow and top heavy.

Tambling or Pittard and 70k on r1+ upgrades
Pittard... but spend the 70
Im sure you can find one of your 4's to bump up.

70 k isnt enough to go from a rookie to a mid pricer after round 1 and all of the decent rookies are fairly high priced outside of the Viney Crouch O'Meara locks so you should be fine going rookie to rookie without the 70k

Unless you absolutely think your players will increase their averages and surpass the 70k more expensive premium, which statistically is not a certainty, then get the extra points.

70 k should theoretically be 13 points ;);)

Could me make or break

Tambling & earmarked for a big year? isn't that what his coaches have always said since day 1? He's shown us nothing.

Well actually he has averaged around 89 (I believe) a few years back and is currently priced at 200k. He has also had a very good preseason and has been in Adelaides best players in both their round 1 NAB cup match and their practice match against Freo. He also has an opening in the position he plays with Smith out.

Looks to me like someone well worth consideration.

Tambling & earmarked for a big year? isn't that what his coaches have always said since day 1? He's shown us nothing.

the one thing that Sanderson has done while at the crows is not beat around the bush and he says he will have an impact so I'm good with that, time will tell as usual. he's not named this week against the cats so who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back