Mega Thread 2013 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I see menegola as replacing Mz as that 'can make it to every contest' style player

Menegola > Mzungu (hard running mid / halves contests)
Mellington > Mayne (defensive 3rd forward)
Forster > Duffield (kick ins / rebounding)
Spurr > Mcphee (intercept marking / rebounding)
Suban > Lower (in and under extractor / tackles / lays blocks - physical midfielder)
Faulks > Dawson (spoiling defender)

I see menegola as replacing Mz as that 'can make it to every contest' style player

Menegola > Mzungu (hard running mid / halves contests)
Mellington > Mayne (defensive 3rd forward)
Forster > Duffield (kick ins / rebounding)
Spurr > Mcphee (intercept marking / rebounding)
Suban > Lower (in and under extractor / tackles / lays blocks - physical midfielder)
Faulks > Dawson (spoiling defender)

Are you serious?

Mellington not better than Mayne. Mayne is a better tackler and (as of last year) a much more accurate kick for goal
Spurr was already in the team at the same time as McPhee so why compare them?
Suban was in the best 22 (mainly as a sub) where as Lower wasnt even in the side, so not really groundbreaking
Faulks wont replace Dawson.... End of story

funny bunch - before you get your knickers in a knot - i was looking in terms of long term replacements not immediate (except for suban / spurr) and in terms of the role played.

no shit that mellington wont replace mayne just yet, and forster wont replace duffield ...

but cheers for the angst ;) it was entertaining

funny bunch - before you get your knickers in a knot - i was looking in terms of long term replacements not immediate (except for suban / spurr) and in terms of the role played.

no shit that mellington wont replace mayne just yet, and forster wont replace duffield ...

I thought that was obvious, no way would Faulks for instance push Dawson out.

I see Spurr as Broughton's replacement and hopefully Forster will end up being a more skilled McPhee.

Yeah he likely will be - Ibbo and McPhee carried out similar roles during the season at intercept marking and preventing Dawson being isolated 1 on 1. Spurr will be in that mix, and he carried out that role in a few games. Broughton is a hard one to pidgeonhole in terms of his role last season since he carried out a few roles around the ground - but perhaps you're right. I was just looking to simplify the roles and look at replacements with similar skillsets.

At the moment I think you could say Mayne is our second forward. And will be next season. I feel that Kep and Clarke are being used as decoys to draw defenders up the ground and help get Pav one on one. Mayne is usually the second target if Pav is not an option. It was clear we were lacking in the forward line early last season and Rosco and Suma made it work.

Pretty sure they're taking your use of '>' as 'greater than', not equivalent role players.

I know what you meant. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you see big Zac Clarke playing? Mainly forward or second ruck?
hard to say. it depends how he goes developing as a forward in the preseason. as it is, he's probably third ruck behind griffin. if he improves his marking and running into position as a forward, he'll also overtake griffin as the second ruck as i don't think we can have the two of them and sandi in the same team.

hard to say. it depends how he goes developing as a forward in the preseason. as it is, he's probably third ruck behind griffin. if he improves his marking and running into position as a forward, he'll also overtake griffin as the second ruck as i don't think we can have the two of them and sandi in the same team.
Not a bad position to be in. Three talented ruckmen/forwards!!

Pretty sure they're taking your use of '>' as 'greater than', not equivalent role players.

I know what you meant. :)

Good point ;) Couldnt find an arrow though :p

I'd love to see Clarke push out Kepler as the tall forward who can pinch hit - but he needs to work on his positioning and drag his defender away from Pav more consistently

Good point ;) Couldnt find an arrow though :p

I'd love to see Clarke push out Kepler as the tall forward who can pinch hit - but he needs to work on his positioning and drag his defender away from Pav more consistently
I think he's most dangerous pushing up to the flanks outside the arc being a target for either a rebound out of our defense or a tall to create a wall for their defenders rebounding or trying to clear it out of our forward line. As well as dragging a tall out and creating space in our forward line for Pav or Mayne to run into. I'v never looked into it but I would bet that the majority of Clarks marks are taken in that spot of the ground just outside the arc on either forward flanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2013 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back