Mega Thread 2013 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

You're a brave man wandering around looking like a Hawks supporter KPR.

heh, yeah i probably need to edit the photo and put hayden croziers name in it, but it took me so long to get the photo clear on here that i dont know if i can be arsed.

and lets not forget, prior to being rookie listed by freo, my favourite player, clancee pearce was training at hawthorn ;)

The sub is here to stay and clubs will adapt.
I am advocating a group of ten players for the sub role. That would overcome the problem you have highlighted above.
Fremantle certainly have many players who would be ideal including all the new draftees we have picked up in the last two years.
Can you imagine what it would be like to see Josh Simpson come onto the ground fresh in the third quarter ?

Damn straight. The sub should be an attacking, x factor goal scoring type who might not normally play because they go missing overbthe journey or just don't get involved enough. Bring them on with 20 mins left against a tiring opposition.

Croz, Simpson fit the bill. Not Ibbo, Duff Roberton. I think Geelong used Christenson well as a sub.

Damn straight. The sub should be an attacking, x factor goal scoring type who might not normally play because they go missing overbthe journey or just don't get involved enough. Bring them on with 20 mins left against a tiring opposition.

Croz, Simpson fit the bill. Not Ibbo, Duff Roberton. I think Geelong used Christenson well as a sub.

my only problem with that, is what would have happened if they had played the whole game?? those boys should be in the starting 21 so that they can tear it up for a whole game rather than just for one quarter or so. sub them out if they arent on.

Subs choice is a horses for courses thing.

If you have some quality players coming back from injury they need game time but pref not a whole game yet then sub seems reasonable.

So does playing a youngster to give them a taste and see their impact at AFL level on one quarter before comitting them to starting 22. Simpson part way through next year will have enough fitness to be a sub but would struggle with a whole game so is an ideal sub in the 2nd half of the season with a pre-season and some WAFL games.

Players like Didak who I reckon is nearly past it may be used as a sub again as an impact player unable to play out a whole game.

What is not reasonable is to play a fit, experienced player like Duffield unless they are very versatile and can player anywhere in which case you are doing it to cover for any injuries during the game without resorting to an inexperienced youngster (e.g. tight games). These players should normally just not be selected at all or only as the emergency.

There is no one rule for subs to follow.

Hot diggity I'd love to see Simpson play as a sub sometime next season. I'd love to see him burn off a few defenders, skip around another and kick a goal.

I hope that Simpson doesn't get a game next year, pretty clearly far far too small to be playing seniors. Let him run around a hff in the ressies and spend a year in the gym..

I hope that Simpson doesn't get a game next year, pretty clearly far far too small to be playing seniors. Let him run around a hff in the ressies and spend a year in the gym..

Simpson as a sub sounds perfect. The kid reminds me of Lewis Jetta. Swans used him as a sub for most of his first season and the rest is history...

Maybe not. What about when we play GWS, Melbourne, Port etc. at home? Ross may decide to rest some of the older blokes. I can definitely see him coming on as the sub in those types of games.

Possibly, although I would expect guys like Sherridan, Crozier and michie to be given the nod ahead of him

Do we think Menegola will get game time in 2013? Looks a solid unit!

Where does he play? Or where can he play?

Weaknesses and strengths?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from what I can gather and have seen of him at training, he seems to be a high half forward with the capacity to run as a tall midfielder, so he has a bit of competition to break into the team.

his strength is clearly his ability to run and run all day. I have never seen him actually play a game live, so I am not qualified to comment on his weaknesses

High half forward/half forward is where I have seen him play. Good size as you mentioned and can run all day but seems to go missing for large parts of the match and from week to week. Kicking is not always great. Played a very good preliminary final which may show he is getting his game together. Can't see why he couldn't play further up the ground if needed.

Not that I have watched much of Menegola play but when I have he's played high half forward and mid. By the training reports of last year he played decent without setting the word on fire.

Does Menegola attack the footy hard?
Can he play a McPhee role?
Attacks the footy hard from what I have seen of him. Possibly could play Mcphee role. More of a natural forward though. The knock on him last year was that he could get pushed off the footy and ran to the wrong spots. He looks a heap stronger this year already and I have massive hopes that he will be the biggest surprise packet on the list. There is some talk that we may only use one of preseason draft picks, and instead have five rookies (Moller is also a rookie but is outside the list because he was a NSW Scholarship player). If that is the case it will be because the coaching staff wants the option of playing Menegola from round 1.

from what I can gather and have seen of him at training, he seems to be a high half forward with the capacity to run as a tall midfielder, so he has a bit of competition to break into the team.

his strength is clearly his ability to run and run all day. I have never seen him actually play a game live, so I am not qualified to comment on his weaknesses
I have seen him a bit on the ABC sat games. He knows how to find the ball and can take take a contested mark. He was BOG in a couple of games for EF. Not bad for a 19/20 yo. He also was among EF's best in the GF. I think we got a steal here. I know a hawthorn tragic who is a work colleague and he was pissed that Sam left after only one year.

I think if simpson plays next year, even as a sub, it is reasonable to suggest that we have been hit with injuries.

KPR, we should be able to gauge his chances of a debut this year during the NAB series.
Personally I'd love to see him get 2 or 3 games this year , most likely against the new clubs who have a lot of young kids also.

It's good for the player, but not necessarily good for the teams chances of winning that particular game.

I reckon the perfect sub has pace and a bit of x-factor and is possibly a young fella who might not have the tank to have an impact for the whole game. I'm thinking Crozier, Simpson, Mellington, Duffy even Chryttin.

Agree, best way to utililise the sub for mine.

Someone like Suban (relatively high draft pick in a strong draft, entering his 5th season) really should be playing the whole game, feel he'd be wasted as a sub from next year onwards.

KPR, we should be able to gauge his chances of a debut this year during the NAB series.
Personally I'd love to see him get 2 or 3 games this year , most likely against the new clubs who have a lot of young kids also.

yeah, although last year in the nab cup it was only lachie neale who really got a good run. Possibly simpson may not get a go at all, will be interesting to see. Its always exciting to see the good young early picks get a gig, but we have other good young kids who havent been given a good go yet as well, and so if they are in good form, i would expect them to get a go first. im talking about michie, crozier and sherridan in particular. If simpson has a good run in the wafl, he should get a go.

having said all that, prior to coming to freo, ross was criticised for not giving the young guys a go (didnt stop him blooding new guys last year thought)

I have seen him a bit on the ABC sat games. He knows how to find the ball and can take take a contested mark. He was BOG in a couple of games for EF. Not bad for a 19/20 yo. He also was among EF's best in the GF. I think we got a steal here. I know a hawthorn tragic who is a work colleague and he was pissed that Sam left after only one year.

My claim to fame is that he was a couple years below me at school and I've been following his career since the start, I'm pretty confident he'll be a good player for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread 2013 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back