2013 SuperCoach Draft strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if, say, a very low-profile player who was undrafted shoots the lights out in Round 1 and there is high demand to get him into your team. Would it simply be a case of first in best dressed in terms of trading to bring him in?
If the new game is anything like the Scoach PRO (Gold), all players including those in the pool are locked in the lockout; but once the lockout is open it is a first in first served.

It's hard to know how they'll run it exactly. I've played fantasy NBA on Yahoo but dunno if how much of that general format they'll be employing for SC. I assume it'll continue as H2H using total scores (ie. not Roto, or H2H using scoring categories).

On Yahoo, the waiver priority starts out as reverse draft order, and once you get a guy off waivers, you move to the end of the line. Draft order can be set by the league commisioner, or you can just set it to random; my brother and I were involved in a couple of keeper leagues and determined draft order in a similar way to the NBA draft lottery.

Speaking of keeper leagues, I would expect/hope they bring in that functionality eventually.

I think the Hun website says something similar, but you do have to be aware of positional depth when drafting. That is, will FWD A, or one of similar quality, still be available when the pick after your current one comes up.

Does MPP apply in the draft format? ie can you move players around during the draft? or after the draft for trading?

Also, the captain idea in this format is no good. The difference between the first 4 captain options and the 10-12th is a fair bit, so people shouldnt be rewarded for a 1-4 pick in the draft.

It's hard to know how they'll run it exactly. I've played fantasy NBA on Yahoo but dunno if how much of that general format they'll be employing for SC. I assume it'll continue as H2H using total scores (ie. not Roto, or H2H using scoring categories).

On Yahoo, the waiver priority starts out as reverse draft order, and once you get a guy off waivers, you move to the end of the line. Draft order can be set by the league commisioner, or you can just set it to rando"m; my brother and I were involved in a couple of keeper leagues and determined draft order in a similar way to the NBA draft lottery.

Speaking of keeper leagues, I would expect/hope they bring in that functionality eventually.
Could somebody explain how the "waiver" works?

Could somebody explain how the "waiver" works?
Basically every player who isn't drafted becomes a free agent. If a coach decides to drop a drafted player at some point, they will select a player from the free agent pool to replace them. The dropped/replaced player is then said to be on waivers (very much a US sports term) for a short period (eg. 2 days). While on waivers they can't immediately be picked up by another coach, but coaches can indicate their interest in the player. If no-one indicates interest, the player becomes a free agent after the waiver period and is available like any other undrafted player. If only one coach wants him, they get him after the waiver period expires (and the player he replaces then goes on waivers). If two or more coaches want him, the coach with the higher waiver priority will get him at the end of the waiver period. The coach who obtains a player off waivers, unopposed or not, is then assigned the lowest waiver priority.

Traditional fantasy sports base their scoring on performance in multiple categories; eg. best-of-9 categories against a weekly opponent, or via the rotisserie category method. So when you trade you're looking to improve in one or more categories, and (one assumes) willing to give up something in other ones. As SC uses a total team points calculation, player trading appears less likely to me. By that I mean I can only see trading likely when I'm top heavy in a position and need shoring up in another. However, the only position in which you're likely to have a surplus is Ruck, due to the smaller number of players you have there.

Happy to be corrected/enlightened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Traditional fantasy sports base their scoring on performance in multiple categories; eg. best-of-9 categories against a weekly opponent, or via the rotisserie category method. So when you trade you're looking to improve in one or more categories, and (one assumes) willing to give up something in other ones. As SC uses a total team points calculation, player trading appears less likely to me. By that I mean I can only see trading likely when I'm top heavy in a position and need shoring up in another. However, the only position in which you're likely to have a surplus is Ruck, due to the smaller number of players you have there.

I play Fantasy NFL which also uses a total points calculation, and we have plenty of trades. The scenario you're missing is where a player trades a strength at one position (for example, he nailed his midfielders during the draft) to fix up a weakness at another (his forwards are really bad). That's pretty common.

I play Fantasy NFL which also uses a total points calculation, and we have plenty of trades. The scenario you're missing is where a player trades a strength at one position (for example, he nailed his midfielders during the draft) to fix up a weakness at another (his forwards are really bad). That's pretty common.
I've not played Fantasy NFL; only Fantasy NBA. Interesting to see trades do occur with a total points calculation.

Still curious though. Why would someone care so much if they're weaker up front if they're great in the middle? I mean 100 points is 100 points no matter where on the ground they get it. Are you talking about trading away strength that's on your bench (ie. trade away a good MID bench player to get a good FWD)?

I previously raised the situation of being strong in one position, but couldn't see it happening much in a position with more players (such as MID); thus referred to the RUCK.

Cheers.

I've not played Fantasy NFL; only Fantasy NBA. Interesting to see trades do occur with a total points calculation.

Still curious though. Why would someone care so much if they're weaker up front if they're great in the middle? I mean 100 points is 100 points no matter where on the ground they get it. Are you talking about trading away strength that's on your bench (ie. trade away a good MID bench player to get a good FWD)?

I previously raised the situation of being strong in one position, but couldn't see it happening much in a position with more players (such as MID); thus referred to the RUCK.

Cheers.

A couple of examples from our most recent season, adapted for AFL:

You've got a good bench player (averaging 90. Remember each player is only owned by one team, so this isn't bad) up forward or down back. Your 6th midfielder has ended up averaging 70 because of injuries and bad drafting. Your mate in the league has the reverse scenario - last forward isn't doing well but they've got a solid midfield bench, so you trade to both strength your on-field teams.

The other is to pick up a top-notch talent by trading away good players across a number of positions if the other player has holes in a number of situations, i.e. trading Waters, Swallow and Bartel to upgrade to Swan if the player with Swan is suffering from injuries.

what are people thoughts on these leagues, being keepers and going for up and coming youth players, at what picks do they become relevant? picks 200?

what are people thoughts on these leagues, being keepers and going for up and coming youth players, at what picks do they become relevant? picks 200?

If you're playing a keeper league (and intend to keep it going), youth is a serious premium. A player like David Swallow becomes a lot more valuable than Boyd, for example. Cameron suddenly becomes more interesting than most middling forward prospects, etc etc etc.

If you're playing a keeper league (and intend to keep it going), youth is a serious premium. A player like David Swallow becomes a lot more valuable than Boyd, for example. Cameron suddenly becomes more interesting than most middling forward prospects, etc etc etc.

So seriously early? like 50-100?

So seriously early? like 50-100?

IMO (this may vary) when comparing two players, for each year a player is younger, add one point to his average from the previous year. That's how I'd price them. It also depends on how you're running your keeper league - this is if you're keeping all the same players, and only drafting new or waiver wire players each season. If you're doing a keeper league where you keep less than a full roster, i.e. maybe three players of your choice, then it doesn't affect draft strategy at all IMO. You'd just keep the best three, and only pay attention when it comes to selecting those three at the end of the year.

In the US, traditional and H2H Rotisserie aren't used for NFL. Instead they are more pertinent in stat heavy sports like NBA, NHL, and especially MLB. The model Supercoach is using is based on the NFL.

As for trading, there is always a deal to be had you just have to find the right owner to trade with.

Cheers.

Yeah I found this last year, I think we had 2 trades in total in my league for the entire year. People are more likely to hang on to a good performing bench player as there's always injuries/rests during the year and nothing worse than gifting a good player to your mates. Having category based scores would definitely insight more trades. I like the idea of that too.

Back to strategies, I haven't been able to find anything really viable, I guess because the game itself is so new here.

From last year, I had the 2nd pick in our draft and for some unexplainable reason the first pick went Cox so I ended up with Ablett. Then used my 2nd pick on getting another mid premium in S Thompson. From there I alternated in picking the best back & forward. I had a great team during the year, partly luck as some fool dropped Beams in round 3 after two 80 scores and I jumped on him. Other than that I tried to have the majority of my bench players dual position so I would never have a 0 in a game which worked well in my favour. Unfortunately I couldn't win the final even with Ablett & Beams as my other picks fell away at the end.

I too feel that having a pick around the middle say 4 or 5 in a ten team comp would net you the best spread of players.

What you guys going with for the bench? One of each position or is there some strategy? More mids?

Really looking forward to this, having already organised a draft day with my mates (using the one computer method). Some of the boys have begun planning and have an advantage because they've had experience playing NFL draft games, like some of you fellas.

I'm thinking one of the most important aspects of drafting, is picking the lesser known but still high scoring players towards the end of the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back