2013 SuperCoach Draft strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is the place to post this but with a 10-12 team comp anyone think top 8 is a bit silly? I am probably going to do a 10 team comp which means 80% of the teams make it.

Yeah I see your point. I guess I was saying picking up Maric with a 2nd round pick vs someone like Goldstein at say 10th round and he might only average 20 points less and I havent wasted a 2nd round pick

Absolutely, if Goldstein is available in Round 10 you're laughing but I wouldn't have been banking on that.

Had my 10-man league draft today, obviously had the no.1 pick, which is great for Ablett but proves quite a challenge for the rest of the draft. Too hard to target players whena few start picking gun forwards and everyone else follows not wanting to miss out and then 20 picks later you're not left with much choice.

Back Line - very happy
Mid Field - I feel I did ok considering, Masten was an auto pick as I foolishly wasnt paying attention near the end. Otherwise I probably wouldnt have had 2 eagles starting.
Forward Line - Pretty disappointed, had a few players I was wanting get selected 2 or 3 before my pick. Planned to have Varcoe as a bench risk, but there was nothing left.
Rucks - Pretty happy, Maric in 2nd round and Giles should have a good year. Cox went first round and I didnt want to wait till picks 40,41 to pick my first ruck.
Bench - best available and took some risks i.e. Hodge + Roughead.

teamij.jpg

Was in a 10 man league and had pick 6.
My team

Shaw-enright-Burgoyne-geary-atley

Dangerfield-a.swallow-fyfe-hanneberry-boak-Greene

Martin-lever

Cox-Lewis-broughton-lecras-siposs

Grigg-j.steven-I.smith-c.beams

Pretty happy overall. I have chosen lever as my number 2 ruck as there is no chance he will play and I think my bench players will score more than any of the rucks that were left. If it doesn't work ill trade for a ruck later.

does anyone know what the initial order of the waiver wire is from the start of the game? i am doing the last pick to bottom option. my draft not for another week or 2.
My guess is in a 10 man league, that pick 10 gets first waiver prioriy, then 9 and so on??

does anyone know what the initial order of the waiver wire is from the start of the game? i am doing the last pick to bottom option. my draft not for another week or 2.
My guess is in a 10 man league, that pick 10 gets first waiver prioriy, then 9 and so on??
That's it.
It goes in reverse order to the draft order up until you make a waiver claim then you go to the back of the que

Three questions guys (thanks in advance)

1- with 10 team comps anyone else think final 8 is a bot much?

2- what happens with emergencies if there's no auto emergency?

3- do you need DPP links for them to work i.e two forward
/rucks?

Had my trade. Very happy with the results.

Midfield consists of

J Selwood. (I had the sixth pick)
D Beams. (fell to 15th in the draft)
M Priddis
L Sheuy
J Redden
A Swallow

I even snagged M Barlow as a substitute.

I was really surprised at some of the others early selections.

My tips. Have afl.com.au and Footywire up at the same time, as ongoing research throughout the draft is important. Concentrate on mids and rucks first.

I'm thinking get a solid ruckman, defender and forward before I draft any mids cos they are a dime a dozen.
Unless of course you get pick one or two in which case you wuld need to go Ablett and the next best mid, whether it be Swan, Pendulbery or JP Kennedy or somone like that.
What does everyone think about that?

I'm thinking get a solid ruckman, defender and forward before I draft any mids cos they are a dime a dozen.
Unless of course you get pick one or two in which case you wuld need to go Ablett and the next best mid, whether it be Swan, Pendulbery or JP Kennedy or somone like that.
What does everyone think about that?

Ive got pick one, so I'll take Ablett first and then look for a solid ruckman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive got pick one, so I'll take Ablett first and then look for a solid ruckman
Thinking the same thing, Ablett at 1 then go rucks, forwards, backs for the next few rounds unless a GREAT midfielder slide.

Can easily pick up Mids like Boak, Rich, Jones at picks 80-100

First time playing this game so trying to work out what strategy I will go with, our draft is on Saturday night. I was thinking about using this strategy. We have a 10 man League with a 5-6-2-5 positional structure. So basically that means 50 backs, 60 mids, 20 rucks and 50 forwards will be selected (excluding emerg).

If I get the list of the top scores from last year in those positions and make a few tweaks based on who I think might improve etc to end up with a list of 50-60-20-50. I then average out the scores for each bracket, I then rank each player based on his deviation from the average and I have a complete list from 1-180 of the order in which I want to select the players.

This strategy obviously relies somewhat on my initial assumptions re scoring potential for the year but all strategies would do to some extent.

Would like some feedback on whether this is a sound strategy or is there some flaw I am not seeing?

Started playing with a few of the numbers and there is quite a big jump from the top ranked player in each position to the median, compared to the median to lowest ranked player, by a magnitude of 3 to 4 times so I think I'll use the variance between predicted average and the median average to rank the players.

First time playing this game so trying to work out what strategy I will go with, our draft is on Saturday night. I was thinking about using this strategy. We have a 10 man League with a 5-6-2-5 positional structure. So basically that means 50 backs, 60 mids, 20 rucks and 50 forwards will be selected (excluding emerg).

If I get the list of the top scores from last year in those positions and make a few tweaks based on who I think might improve etc to end up with a list of 50-60-20-50. I then average out the scores for each bracket, I then rank each player based on his deviation from the average and I have a complete list from 1-180 of the order in which I want to select the players.

This strategy obviously relies somewhat on my initial assumptions re scoring potential for the year but all strategies would do to some extent.

Would like some feedback on whether this is a sound strategy or is there some flaw I am not seeing?

You pretty much nailed the NFL "value based drafting" system that's very popular.

I do NFL fantasy every year and this system is great. However you need to keep in mind that your list needs to be dynamic and a bit flexible when it comes to position selection. Such as seeing as though there are few ruckman that are worth much. You don't want to get stuck with a great FWDline but spuds everywhere else cause the rest were taken on the list.
Otherwise, spot on idea for your first time!

Started playing with a few of the numbers and there is quite a big jump from the top ranked player in each position to the median, compared to the median to lowest ranked player, by a magnitude of 3 to 4 times so I think I'll use the variance between predicted average and the median average to rank the players.

Mind showing us some examples?

Can somebody please post an entire draft.

I want to have a look at how the whole draft pans out and the strategies people have been using.

Thank you.

Mind showing us some examples?

In the midfield the worst deviation of the top 60 from the median was at -10.2, but we have 11 players who have a greater psoitive deviation than that with Ablett sitting at +35, so if you have Ablett and the 60th ranked player you have a score of 24.8 points per game greater than someone who has the 2 players about the median. Similiar with Franklin and the high scoring forwards, and 4 of the rucks. The least deviation is in the backs where goddard was +15.3 and the lowest ranked player was -8.9.

I think I will just rank all the players by the deviation and pick solely based on that regardless of position and see how I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back