2013 West Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

poise

Debutant
Suspended
Jan 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
2012 is gone, so begins a new year of picking the next crop of players from the West.

Personally, I dont think this years crop will be that deep, I do believe the year following will be a bumper harvest.

So post away and let's see if we can narrow down who the clubs are eyeing through out the year.

• Banned
Guess I'll start the ball rolling with a young bloke who really impressed me on the weekend.

Francis Watson - 186cm 73kg. Claremont

Really impressive in the trial game, strong overhead and reacts well below his knees, also has an ability to bounce and weave in traffic making him a very slippery character. Very natural footballer and for me, one of the better prospects early on.

2013 already shapes as a better year for WA players than 2012. We managed two first round picks in O'Meara and Simpson from the 94 age group.

2014 has the most top end talent we have seen since 2010.

Does it compare to 2008? 4 players in the first seven picked?

East Fremantle boys from 2012 Colts (Underage)
-Jarrad Jansen (State U16s; tall KPD with a big tank)
-Richie Bourne (Super quick wingman, can run all day)
-Jonathon Marsh (Brother of Sydney's Harrison, dashing tall flanker)

Any Jermaine Wardle, Jamahl Bedford, Mackenzie Morgan and Shaquille McKenzie like names from the crop born in 1995?

Don't know much about WARDLE but BEDFORD, MACKENZIE and McKENZIE are all born in 1994 not 1995. McKENZIE is the better one out of the bunch listed.

Good game at Claremont oval today between the Tigs and Swans, considering the conditions, Humpries looked good, Cameron started with a bang and then faded, some exciting prospects on show early on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the guys who played in the talent day did thier Beep Test today at ECU Joondalup and the 2 standouts where Blake Acres (WP) at 15.4 and Ben Sokol (SF) at 15.1. South Fremantle and West Perth had the majority of players in the 13-14 levels. Be a good preseason game this weekend between the 2 sides.

c'mont versus ep colts tonight at leederville
should see scott jones go head to head with darcy Cameron

Is Jacob Crowe on the radar?

Along with Corey Byrne, he was always around sports clubs. I've think I've played every sport under the sun with him. Well, cricket and tennis in the sun, footy and soccer in the south-west rain... He'd be about 173cm or something, but he was always my best and fairest in every game we played. This was two years ago, mind you. But his fitness base was really good and he got the footy a lot, and did good things with it. Pretty quiet guy and definitely not a footy w***er. If he was a few centimetres taller, he'd be getting talked about a bit. Dude got an ATAR of like 99.80 or something ludicrous too, so he'll be a few club's cuppas, I think.

What about Brenden Abbott? Built like a man already. When he walked into our history class, the old floor would literally shake and creak a fair bit. Might be an okay shout for Freo in the rookie draft.

BT will be raving on about the North Albany footy factory in a few years.

South Freo V West Perth preseason game was very much a one sided game. South had players like Ben Sokol, Pickett, Garlett and Miller-Lewis that ran all over West Perth. The only shining light for the Falcons was Blake Acres who was unstoppable out of the back line and in the mid field. He took a screamer of a mark in the goal square and when in defence seemed to run the ball out without any real opposition to him. Acres kicked 2 out of the 3 goals West Perth got, one was from 55m out on the boundry. Robertson had glimpses of ability but appeared to be off his normally great game and struggled to have any impact. It was good to see Sokol play on the ball and make some good clearances and expand on his game.

Overall Acres and Sokol from West Perth and South Fremantle are looking good at the start of the season as boys eligible for the 2013 draft. Robertson needs to find his game.

Going to watch the Subi V Claremont game this week and hopefully Dom Sheed(posted as a league player so might not play colts), Hayden Kennedy and Cody Grace will play.

South Freo V West Perth preseason game was very much a one sided game. South had players like Ben Sokol, Pickett, Garlett and Miller-Lewis that ran all over West Perth. The only shining light for the Falcons was Blake Acres who was unstoppable out of the back line and in the mid field. He took a screamer of a mark in the goal square and when in defence seemed to run the ball out without any real opposition to him. Acres kicked 2 out of the 3 goals West Perth got, one was from 55m out on the boundry. Robertson had glimpses of ability but appeared to be off his normally great game and struggled to have any impact. It was good to see Sokol play on the ball and make some good clearances and expand on his game.

Overall Acres and Sokol from West Perth and South Fremantle are looking good at the start of the season as boys eligible for the 2013 draft. Robertson needs to find his game.

Going to watch the Subi V Claremont game this week and hopefully Dom Sheed(posted as a league player so might not play colts), Hayden Kennedy and Cody Grace will play.

It was on tonight. Im guessing you didn't make it.

Is Jacob Crowe on the radar?

Along with Corey Byrne, he was always around sports clubs. I've think I've played every sport under the sun with him. Well, cricket and tennis in the sun, footy and soccer in the south-west rain... He'd be about 173cm or something, but he was always my best and fairest in every game we played. This was two years ago, mind you. But his fitness base was really good and he got the footy a lot, and did good things with it. Pretty quiet guy and definitely not a footy Moo. If he was a few centimetres taller, he'd be getting talked about a bit. Dude got an ATAR of like 99.80 or something ludicrous too, so he'll be a few club's cuppas, I think.

Lacks pace and agility. Can't see him getting anywhere near it.

What about Brenden Abbott? Built like a man already. When he walked into our history class, the old floor would literally shake and creak a fair bit. Might be an okay shout for Freo in the rookie draft.

Might be a better show than that.

Btw, I went to the Claremont vs Subiaco game, just watch the best talent in the country, regardless of age, chop up for Subiaco, pencil Greg Clarke in for the number one position for the 2015 draft.

Btw, I went to the Claremont vs Subiaco game, just watch the best talent in the country, regardless of age, chop up for Subiaco, pencil Greg Clarke in for the number one position for the 2015 draft.

How many goals did he kick?

Lacks pace and agility. Can't see him getting anywhere near it.

Might be a better show than that.
So you don't think Corey Byrne will get selected at all? That's a genuinely curious, not a condescending question. And yeah, wouldn't surprise me if Abbott went in the 40s or 50s.

Just for future reference, what is Greg Clark's date of birth?

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 West Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back