Preview 2014 AFL Grand Final - Sydney vs Hawthorn, MCG, 2.30pm, Saturday Sept 27th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It probably won't make any difference since both teams had a week off before but I wonder if the fact that Sydney has an 8 day break coming off an easy game (for a preliminary final) while the Hawks are coming off a 7 day break in a much much harder game.

Of course the fact the Swans have to travel probably cancels out the extra days break.

It will be epic for 2 and half quarters. Then it will come down to who wants it the most.
The running power of the Swans youngsters (Cunningham, Lloyd, Rohan) is grossy under rated. Their contribution to the Swans success is also grossly under rated.
The top end talent in both teams is impossible to split. It will be the lesser lights and how they contribute that will decide the result.
My view is that the Swans will run the Hawks into the ground. If that happens stopping Buddy/Tippo/Goodes/Reid becomes impossible.
These are the best Grand Finals, 01, 04 :(, 08, 11...

We have had 4-6 goal leads quite frequently against the Hawks in the recent past.
If we play our best I have no doubt the margin will be > 10 goals.

Likewise if Hawthorn play at their best and Sydney play at their worst the margin could be the same with Hawthorn being victorious.

I work with some disabled people that are nearly twice my age BUT old school South Melbourne turned Sydney Swans supporters.
They have given me grief this week :D, the Buddy taunts are getting old fast!! I have wanted to respond with my own (including some redacted things not to be said in here) but i'm rising above it :thumbsu:.

Anyhoo IF by some divine miracle (not delivered by Spangher!) Sydney win, i'll be disappointed as a Hawthorn supporter BUT i'd be happy that people like those that i work with get to enjoy a premiership win by their team.

I'll enjoy the analysis more once teams are announced and the media stop speculating about Rioli.

Play this game 10 times it could easily go 5-5.Really comes down to the day. I'm going with Hawthorn on the basis their goal kicking power is too much to stop and Swans will need all their guns firing simultaneously to win. Could happen but I think some will be shut down. Hawks by 18, will be a corker.

Just as a matter of interest how many goals did Hawks goal kicking power kick last week as a group ? Franklin, Tippett and Goodes got 12 between them so you would dare say Hawks guns will need to all fire as well. Game is so evenly matched it is ridiculous.

Just as a matter of interest how many goals did Hawks goal kicking power kick last week as a group ? Franklin, Tippett and Goodes got 12 between them so you would dare say Hawks guns will need to all fire as well. Game is so evenly matched it is ridiculous.

Don't dispute. Breust was down as Popolouo kicked 0 or 1, Gunston to spite being well held bobbed up and overall Hawks were well held yet they still managed 15. Swans will need to kick 18 (which could happen) but all guns will need to fire. Really is just a tip. Both sides have the credentials to win and it will really be down to who performs on the day.

...I work with some disabled people that are nearly twice my age BUT old school South Melbourne turned Sydney Swans supporters.
They have given me grief this week :D, the Buddy taunts are getting old fast!! I have wanted to respond with my own (including some redacted things not to be said in here) but i'm rising above it :thumbsu:.

Anyhoo IF by some divine miracle (not delivered by Spangher!) Sydney win, i'll be disappointed as a Hawthorn supporter BUT i'd be happy that people like those that i work with get to enjoy a premiership win by their team.
Nice sentiments, Xtreme. Well done.

So belting a flat footed North Melbourne makes Buddy on fire with 5 goals (mediocre by his standards at Hawthorn), but the Hawks kicking 15 against the most impressive team of the season is out of form?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So belting a flat footed North Melbourne makes Buddy on fire with 5 goals (mediocre by his standards at Hawthorn), but the Hawks kicking 15 against the most impressive team of the season is out of form?
Yeah great analysis eh?

You can only beat the opposition that's put out there and Buddy contributed much more 5 goals on Friday. Hawthorn were certainly impressive, but their first and last quarters were far from brilliant. That being said, Port Adelaide are the fittest in the competition.

What confuses me most about your post is the "out of form" bit. Who said Hawthorn are out of form? Both teams are in impressive form going into the Grand Final. Sydney haven't lost since the two team's last meeting and Hawthorn haven't lost since they played Fremantle and that's all there is to it.

Your first quarters would be a concern for you imo, Port and Geelong dominated but lacked the firepower forward to damage you on the scoreboard.

You didn't have a matchup for Goodes in round 18 he could of easily finished with 6 goals and won us the game.

You can only beat the opposition that's put out there and Buddy contributed much more 5 goals on Friday. Hawthorn were certainly impressive, but their first and last quarters were far from brilliant. That being said, Port Adelaide are the fittest in the competition.

What confuses me most about your post is the "out of form" bit. Who said Hawthorn are out of form? Both teams are in impressive form going into the Grand Final. Sydney haven't lost since the two team's last meeting and Hawthorn haven't lost since they played Fremantle and that's all there is to it.

Richmond beat us

Ah, my bad, I was just inferring as much. It was questioned how powerful our forward line was (and implied that Sydney's is better). I was merely giving a reminder of the context, i.e. Buddy was on fire in junk time - no trite expression can change it wasn't much of a test - and that Port naturally made things a lot harder for us, being basically as good as the the top two, when on.

Your first quarters would be a concern for you imo, Port and Geelong dominated but lacked the firepower forward to damage you on the scoreboard.

You didn't have a matchup for Goodes in round 18 he could of easily finished with 6 goals and won us the game.

Which is why Spangher won't be dropped. He's tall enough and competitive enough for Goodes in his twilight.

I don't know what's going on with our first quarters this year, but we have started games off slowly. Our first quarters in 2011, 12 and 13 used to be our biggest strength when we would kick 5-6 goals early and bury the opposition. For some reason we've been sluggish in a lot of games this year and then have a habbit of clawing our way back with quick goals. Our second and third quarters this year are very good. If Sydney get the jump on us early, I can't see us making any sort of comeback this time.

In my opinion the first quarter and the third quarter will be the disicive factor in the outcome of this match.

Richmond beat us

Well they beat a Sydney team that didn't rest any players but managed to find 6 individual niggles that required a week off.

Why Horse even tried to bullcrap his way through that is beyond me.

The thread is shocking and it would be worse if the mods didn't monitor it constantly. Credit to them but they can only do so much.
I cannot believe the two best teams facing off in 2014 doesn't warrant discussion about match-ups or norm smith predictions etc. except by neutrals. It's just ridiculous given how good a game we had in 2012 that more supporters don't just enjoy the moment and realise whatever mind games and other crap they post have no bearing on the result. It's a waste of time.
I for one am looking forward to the game. The two best teams all year who have won 1-1 against each other with AA littered all over the ground. If Sydney lose so be it. The odd joke here and there is fine and I've been guilty of it, but Hawthorn are a class side and you'd be foolish to actually let their supporters change your opinion of the team itself. Vice versa too.
You can be so damn sensible at times Vonn.

Why? I know Sydney will win.

Clearly the best team. I'm just glad to be there enjoying the week
Stop riding the underdog train mate, no certainty in this game. Will be close, and buddy won't be the difference, it never pans out like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back