List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

So how many rookie picks do we have? I have Richmond on 41 players on the main list and one on the rookie list, which means two rookie picks, is that correct? Assuming Arnot is picked, that means one live pick left?
We have 39 on the main list
1 rookie
Have said we will take Arnot with a rookie pick so that makes it 2
That leaves us with 3 rookie picks
But we have one PSD pick where we can choose to add one more to our senior list, but this doesn't look likely at this point

Dont really know why we kept Thomas on the Rookie list - He is taking up the spot of a Panos or another junior that may have some upside
surely with Hunt coming into the team his Role is no longer available

It wouldnt suprise me if we selected Panos with a rookie selection and i have heard that we were interested in Petrenko, Not sure with Butler coming in we would still be into him though

Dont really know why we kept Thomas on the Rookie list - He is taking up the spot of a Panos or another junior that may have some upside
surely with Hunt coming into the team his Role is no longer available

It wouldnt suprise me if we selected Panos with a rookie selection and i have heard that we were interested in Petrenko, Not sure with Butler coming in we would still be into him though
Just back up hopefully.

The rookie draft is a great chance to consolidate our backline. I don't like Dea'a chances of making it, Elton is 50/50 imo, Newman will retire, Grimes and Bachelor while being solid haven't set the world on fire.
I hope we go:
Buykx-Smith
Ramsey
Mcdonagh - arguably the best kick in this year's draft pool

Is Ash Smith still training with us? If so he will probably one of our rookie picks.

Nope. Permission to train list last week only had Arnot listed for us.

According to my number crunching, Ellis is the 11th youngest player in the draft out of 78 players (behind Duggan, Marchbank, Langford, Andrews, Lamb, Cockatoo, Wigg, Cordy, Palmer and Frampton). He's not Brett Deledio young (he turned 18 in April 2005, the draft was in November 2004), but he's young. Given Duggan and Cockatoo were off the board by Richmond's pick, Richmond pretty much picked the youngest midfielder on offer.

Does Richme a PSD pick? And if so, does anyone know the PSD order? I wouldn't mind Bampton. He'd round off the midfield nicely.

Some think he is one dimensional.

I can't see the point getting him because he will have too many ahead of him. Better off getting a flanker and others were they believe they have a better chance of fitting into a role IMO

Some think he is one dimensional.

I can't see the point because he will have too many ahead of him. Better off getting a flanker and others were they believe they have a better chance of fitting into a role IMO

As a rookie pick, he's going to have some flaws in his game. Sure, he's mainly inside and limited to that but so were a lot of inside midfielders in this draft. He'd provide depth and ensure Richmond has a good grouping of inside mids. Would also ensure we could delist Thomas without hesitation. If not, a KPD would be nice, as said before, Batchelor, Dea and Grimes haven't really demanded a spot, Rance, Chaplin and Astbury make a nice trio but another key back would be alright. At the end of the day, given Richmond has a fair degree of depth and balance to its list, any rookie is going to be behind a few players. Another idea is to draft a ruckman and a small forward, these types are often picked late anyway.

Nope. Permission to train list last week only had Arnot listed for us.

Interesting.... he's been training with us all preseason even with the 1-4s and carried on with the 5+s... Maybe he is training for the VFL team with the main group but from the photos and videos there hasnt been any other non Richmond listed players training with us including the VFL boys and you would have thought we would've had to get permission for any sort of player training with the main group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a rookie pick, he's going to have some flaws in his game. Sure, he's mainly inside and limited to that but so were a lot of inside midfielders in this draft. He'd provide depth and ensure Richmond has a good grouping of inside mids. Would also ensure we could delist Thomas without hesitation. If not, a KPD would be nice, as said before, Batchelor, Dea and Grimes haven't really demanded a spot, Rance, Chaplin and Astbury make a nice trio but another key back would be alright. At the end of the day, given Richmond has a fair degree of depth and balance to its list, any rookie is going to be behind a few players. Another idea is to draft a ruckman and a small forward, these types are often picked late anyway.

Rather get someone like Cap iron who may actually fit somewhere later in our premiership team.

The problem with Bampton to me is this. Miles, Drummond, Foley and even others like Conca ahead of him as well as the likes of Butler. Then there is Arnott. The fact is next 2 drafts are more mid orientated and you are always guaranteed of someone around 181cm or so. On top of that there are future trade options, FA etc... I can't even see us chasing Shiel necessarily next year.

So any great benefit chasing Bampton for club and player would be minimal IMO and a long shot. Just my perspective.

The other thing is we really need to bolster our tall inside mid option not our rovers.

After I said all that there is Ellis our first rounder he will need to pass so really I cannot see the point. Even Brandon Ellis is competition for that size.

Last edited:
Interesting.... he's been training with us all preseason even with the 1-4s and carried on with the 5+s... Maybe he is training for the VFL team with the main group but from the photos and videos there hasnt been any other non Richmond listed players training with us including the VFL boys and you would have thought we would've had to get permission for any sort of player training with the main group.

Is Smith left sided?

I'm just throwing out names here. Bampton probably has the lowest floor of any rookie pick here, but I see your point, he would be behind Hunt, Corey Ellis, Arnot, Drummond for spots. Other than that, Keitel, Glenn, Markov, Abbot, Buykx-Smith and Hammelman are names which could be picked up. I think there's a Saad brother who can play. I'd like another small forward on the list, or someone who has midfield capacity and can kick a goal. Not necessarily a live wire with no endurance, but someone who can crumb a goal.

Richmond has a habit of picking up retreads in the rookie draft, so I'm going to throw out some names there: Tanner Smith, Jesse Stringer, Jordan Kelly, Derick Wanganeen, Sam Grimley. GWS might have to delist a few yet, but I'm not completely sure. The suns have delisted a few, from memory they're not much. Maybe this is the year Richmond turns away from re-treads? I honestly don't care that much, I think Richmond nailed the draft and I don't usually say homer stuff like that.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Richo83, post: 36264382, member: 20537"rhmond has a habit of picking up retreads in the rookie draft, so I'm going to throw out some names there: Tanner Smith, Jesse Stringer, Jordan Kelly, Derick Wanganeen, Sam Grimley. GWS might have to delist a few yet, but I'm not completely sure. The suns have delisted a few, from memory they're not much. Maybe this is the year Richmond turns away from re-treads?[/QUOTE]

Said it before, don't mind Grimley as a solid ruck back with a bit of flexibility, versatility, better younger age that can at least provide protection for TV, Griff and the youngsters to develop further before Ruck ready. At least he gives us more security in the ruck area long term and who knows, he may develop further. Have more opportunity with us than Hawthorn and has done too bad in the lower grades according to some reports. We would not get caught out in the Ruck like with Graham and Browne if Maric and or Hampson not available in the mid to short term.

According to my number crunching, Ellis is the 11th youngest player in the draft out of 78 players (behind Duggan, Marchbank, Langford, Andrews, Lamb, Cockatoo, Wigg, Cordy, Palmer and Frampton). He's not Brett Deledio young (he turned 18 in April 2005, the draft was in November 2004), but he's young. Given Duggan and Cockatoo were off the board by Richmond's pick, Richmond pretty much picked the youngest midfielder on offer.

Good point, he is on the younger side and played with injuries during the year which you have to do when you're in line for the draft. He runs a mid 15 beep so great endurance if not super fast. He also probably won't play much senior footy next year so what's the problem with some minor injuries? It's not like it's a navicular like Trengove it's a metatarsal issue. We've drafted this kid for the future he'll be fine, I'm looking forward to seeing hitting Jack up lace out - a good lefty like we need

Good point, he is on the younger side and played with injuries during the year which you have to do when you're in line for the draft. He runs a mid 15 beep so great endurance if not super fast. He also probably won't play much senior footy next year so what's the problem with some minor injuries? It's not like it's a navicular like Trengove it's a metatarsal issue. We've drafted this kid for the future he'll be fine, I'm looking forward to seeing hitting Jack up lace out - a good lefty like we need

Yeah his endurance is great, he spreads well. The foot injury is a bit of a concern but it does highlight why his late year form was a bit off. Plus, he's not the first junior to suffer injuries, Selwood and Judd suffered injuries young, didn't stop them. Sometimes you take the risk and Richmond swung for the fences this draft, and it paid off. They should do it a bit more to be honest.

This is what bound for glory news said about Richmond's picks:

Richmond: They stuck by their man Corey Ellis at pick 12, adding class on the inside and outside. Connor Menadue is a game changer, and his incredible speed will make pick 33 seem like a stroke of genius. Nathan Drummond is an all-round terrific footballer, who could push for selection early next year. Daniel Butler adds speed and a bit of class. Their best pick, though, was Reece McKenzie. The power forward already has an AFL body and looked to be a chance for the top 20 at times during the year.

Grade: A+

This is what bound for glory news said about Richmond's picks:

Richmond: They stuck by their man Corey Ellis at pick 12, adding class on the inside and outside. Connor Menadue is a game changer, and his incredible speed will make pick 33 seem like a stroke of genius. Nathan Drummond is an all-round terrific footballer, who could push for selection early next year. Daniel Butler adds speed and a bit of class. Their best pick, though, was Reece McKenzie. The power forward already has an AFL body and looked to be a chance for the top 20 at times during the year.

Grade: A+

Funny reading Chris Pelican's view on the draft on AFL.com.au - Tigs didn't get a mention, says it all really

For a point of difference, here's his rating of Carlton's draft:

Carlton: Who knows what Shane Rodgers was thinking taking Blaine Boekhurst at pick 19. The 21-year-old might have a great future, but the discussions between he and Laverde have already started. It seemed extremely likely Boekhurst would be still available at 28. Dillion Viojo-Rainbow was a solid choice at 28. A Heritier Lumumba type with his strength, speed and skill, he could eventually replace Kade Simpson. Clem Smith is a Byron Pickett type, and his poor kicking, skin folds and poor combine allowed him to slide to pick 61. However, on talent alone he could be a steal. Picking Jayden Foster over Reece McKenzie at 65 was a really interesting call. However, Foster’s ability to work as a secondary forward may be critical, as a forward line of McKenzie and Levi Casboult would have been one dimensional.

Grade: C+

:D Can't help but feel like Ellis, who is more than three years younger than Boekhorst will be better than him by his age. Heck, Laverde will probably be too. Baffling pick by Carlton. Didn't they just dump their new recruiter? Time for a new one. They'd better hope he's the next Harry Taylor, but given he's a midfielder and they're not really topping up, makes no sense to me.

For a point of difference, here's his rating of Carlton's draft:

Carlton: Who knows what Shane Rodgers was thinking taking Blaine Boekhurst at pick 19. The 21-year-old might have a great future, but the discussions between he and Laverde have already started. It seemed extremely likely Boekhurst would be still available at 28. Dillion Viojo-Rainbow was a solid choice at 28. A Heritier Lumumba type with his strength, speed and skill, he could eventually replace Kade Simpson. Clem Smith is a Byron Pickett type, and his poor kicking, skin folds and poor combine allowed him to slide to pick 61. However, on talent alone he could be a steal. Picking Jayden Foster over Reece McKenzie at 65 was a really interesting call. However, Foster’s ability to work as a secondary forward may be critical, as a forward line of McKenzie and Levi Casboult would have been one dimensional.

Grade: C+

:D Can't help but feel like Ellis, who is more than three years younger than Boekhorst will be better than him by his age. Heck, Laverde will probably be too. Baffling pick by Carlton. Didn't they just dump their new recruiter? Time for a new one. They'd better hope he's the next Harry Taylor, but given he's a midfielder and they're not really topping up, makes no sense to me.

It's almost like they didn't do their homework and completely panicked when other options came up - for a club crying out for a KPF why didn't they take McKenzie? I still can't believe he fell to us so late.

I think we've done so well out of the draft that the Rookie draft is just bonus territory for us now

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back