List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny reading Chris Pelican's view on the draft on AFL.com.au - Tigs didn't get a mention, says it all really
That's why he's writing articles and out of a job in the industry. We did bloody well. A lot better than I thought we would tbh. Took 3 guys I rated in the top 18 wherever I posted it in this thread :p

It's almost like they didn't do their homework and completely panicked when other options came up - for a club crying out for a KPF why didn't they take McKenzie? I still can't believe he fell to us so late.

The argument is that you can't play McKenzie and Casboult in the forwardline. I think they should give up on Casboult, he's a battler who at the age of 24 has only kicked 29 career goals from 36 games. McKenzie is much younger and offers more.

I think we've done so well out of the draft that the Rookie draft is just bonus territory for us now

No resting on laurels!

Reposted for anyone who's interested.

Just for Tomnat Tigers I've done a top 70. Go easy on me please (yeah I know you're all campaigners). :D

I did it based on picking for RFC. There were a couple I found hard to split and tended to go the Vic option when there was a struggle.

Broke it into sections where I think there is a bit of a drop off in talent.

1-6: Guys we likely have no shot at

1. Christian Petracca
2. Isaac Heeney (top 2 could go either way but seems we ain't getting them who cares :p)
3. Angus Brayshaw
4. Darcy Moore
5. Peter Wright
6. Patrick McCartin

7-15: guys I'd use pick 12 on.
7. Lachie Weller
8. Paul Ahern
9. Jarrod Pickett (found him and Ahern tough to split so gone the home town boy higher.)
10. Jayden Laverde
11. Jordan De Goey
12. Jake Lever
13. Liam Duggan
14. Corey Ellis (I still struggle to separate him and Duggan)
15. Reece McKenzie

16-27: Guys that likely fall between our picks but hopefully get to 33.

16. Connor Blakely
17. Jarrod Garlett
18. Connor Menadue
19. Jack Steele
20. Sam Durdin
21. Nakia Cockatoo
22. Dean Gore (love this kid and shocked there is talk he could go 3rd round, especially to us)
23. Kyle Langford (Found him the hardest to place)
24. Caleb Marchbank
25. Touk Miller (does he become a mid at AFL level or just a forward? If he becomes a mid then I think he could be in the top 15)
26. Hugh Goddard
27. Daniel McKenzie

28-38: 2nd/3rd round prospects

28. Harrison Wigg
29. Brayden Maynard
30. Jaden McGrath (probably too high but he has a heap of talent)
31. Damian Cavka
32. Alex Neal-Bullen
33. Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
34. Liam Dawson
35. Peter Bampton (seems like the slider. If we can grab some speed with first couple I'd take him.)
36. Corey Gregson
37. Tom Lamb (the other with Langford I found hard to place. Not convinced he will reach his ceiling which is quite high)
38. Blaine Boekhorst (didn't realise he was only 21 and had to squeeze him into this group. Very talented)

39-53: other options for pick 52

39. Jack Lonie
40. Jackson Nelson
41. Toby McLean
42. Billy Stretch
43. Clem Smith
44. Declan Hamilton
45. Lukas Webb
46. Billy Evans
47. Aidan Anderson
48. Ed Vickers-Willis (not as high on this bloke as others it seems. I must be missing something)
49. Ed Langdon
50. Keenan Ramsay
51. Daniel Nielsen
52. Nathan Drummond
53. Daniel Capiron

54-70: guys I'd take at pick 70 or rookie.

54. Nic Newman
55. Bailey Dale
56. Matthew Panos
57. Jayden Short
58. Daniel Howe
59. Bradley Walsh (really like this kid, despite his lack of athleticism)
60. Josh Glenn
61. Mac Bower (under-performed this year but he's tall and athletic with good skills, nice project to see if he can put it together)
62. James Rose
63. Daniel Butler
64. Oleg Markov
65. Dougal Howard
66. Caleb Daniel
67. Jermaine Miller-Lewis
68. Shannon Taylor
69. Matthew Goodyear
70. Nick Mellington

I'm just throwing out names here. Bampton probably has the lowest floor of any rookie pick here, but I see your point, he would be behind Hunt, Corey Ellis, Arnot, Drummond for spots. Other than that, Keitel, Glenn, Markov, Abbot, Buykx-Smith and Hammelman are names which could be picked up. I think there's a Saad brother who can play. I'd like another small forward on the list, or someone who has midfield capacity and can kick a goal. Not necessarily a live wire with no endurance, but someone who can crumb a goal.

Richmond has a habit of picking up retreads in the rookie draft, so I'm going to throw out some names there: Tanner Smith, Jesse Stringer, Jordan Kelly, Derick Wanganeen, Sam Grimley. GWS might have to delist a few yet, but I'm not completely sure. The suns have delisted a few, from memory they're not much. Maybe this is the year Richmond turns away from re-treads? I honestly don't care that much, I think Richmond nailed the draft and I don't usually say homer stuff like that.
pretty sure the saads are not related

People should stop complaining about how we didn't pick Laverde or Weller because there's nothing we can do about it and only a handful of people here actually have the vast knowledge and experience of being an AFL recruiter. I trust Francis Jackson entirely with this draft. If people keep whinging about picking Ellis and the media picks this up then starts making up some bullshit about us not picking so and so, it'll turn into Tambling 2.0 again.
Embrace who we pick in the draft, ultimately it comes down to development, ones own mentality and environment. Melbourne has picked up plenty of gun junior players but their development sucks.
Always remember, nothing wrong with people voicing their opinions even if it isn't a positive one, everyone gets that opportunity :)

That said, damn we have done alright this draft, stop bitchin' :D

Last edited:
The argument is that you can't play McKenzie and Casboult in the forwardline. I think they should give up on Casboult, he's a battler who at the age of 24 has only kicked 29 career goals from 36 games. McKenzie is much younger and offers more.

Totally agree...Casboult is stop gap at the most so that argument to me is nonsensical. Get that McKenzie is raw and suits us better in terms of list etc but the blues are into that shit list management period we were in under Wallace. They just need to accept that they need to bottom out and start again like we did. Difference is we had Benny Gale, Gary March to lead us through that...who do they have? bunch of corrupt dishlickers at best

No resting on laurels!

Always remember, nothing wrong with people voicing their opinions even if it isn't a positive one, everyone gets that opportunity :)

That said, damn we have done alright this draft, stop bitchin' :D
I remember, my post SUGGESTS and RECOMMENDS people stop whinging.

Seeing as none of them were at the draft, and none of them are in today but will be on Sunday...I'd say around Sunday or Monday.

dunna worry bro, HSUN obliged the Richmond faithful yesterday :thumbsu::thumbsu:

394151-605a941a-777a-11e4-a7f2-87cba13b8c8b.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to my number crunching, Ellis is the 11th youngest player in the draft out of 78 players (behind Duggan, Marchbank, Langford, Andrews, Lamb, Cockatoo, Wigg, Cordy, Palmer and Frampton). He's not Brett Deledio young (he turned 18 in April 2005, the draft was in November 2004), but he's young. Given Duggan and Cockatoo were off the board by Richmond's pick, Richmond pretty much picked the youngest midfielder on offer.
Hence why i like him because the scope of improvement more than anything else(Apart from his killer left foot).

That's why he's writing articles and out of a job in the industry. We did bloody well. A lot better than I thought we would tbh. Took 3 guys I rated in the top 18 wherever I posted it in this thread :p
Proof.
PS,we'll know if its an edit or not.:p

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back