List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Our trade period for where we are and we we need to get to was a D. It was terrible and we couldn't get any immediate help in to get us to the level we need to get to.

Our drafting in my opinion was an A.

Ellis for me was a good pick but I saw so much of Weller and he was available but they went this way. Fair enough. They rated Ellis at number 7. I had him in the end at 17. Differences of opinion.

Menadue, Drummond and Butler all great picks particularly Menadue who was a brilliant pick.

To get a guy I rated in my top 25 at pick 77 to me was mind blowing.

Then the rookie draft a few on here knew my appreciation of Short. Bonafide pick.

It was just really good drafting in my opinion. Rectified the off season.

That Luke Williams touch ;)

Definitely is why but we should of traded someone like Batch to up grade our 3rd or 2nd rounder .

Maybe they'll learn this manoeuvre next year.
They know the manoeuvre, Rusty. We used Graham to upgrade pick 50 to pick 40 (42 after compo picks), which netted us McDonough. I'd say we didn't do it this year because no one wanted to help us out.

Our trade period for where we are and we we need to get to was a D. It was terrible and we couldn't get any immediate help in to get us to the level we need to get to.

Ellis for me was a good pick but I saw so much of Weller and he was available but they went this way. Fair enough. They rated Ellis at number 7. I had him in the end at 17. Differences of opinion.

Menadue, Drummond and Butler all great picks particularly Menadue who was a brilliant pick.

Then the rookie draft a few on here knew my appreciation of Short. Bonafide pick.

It is funny how we rate things differently.

I thought our trade period was really good because there was hardly anyone available that was suitable.

I rated Lever top 4 at a minimum and potentially the number 1 pick. So for me he was a steal at 14 for Adelaide and I would have snapped him up at 12 for RFC.

Interesting to see how the prospects develop!

Almost exactly my opinion as well bob, I also rate reece McKenzie highly
He has all the tools and just needs the right development and structures around him to really have an impact

Menadue - He is a Gem and in my eyes another 1st round pick/quality player that is going to become our Isaac

Butler/Drummond are also quality players and we will really need to work hard with developing all these kids properly and now they actually have brilliant role models at the club and will have to work hard to earn their games , Unlike previous years when kids were an automatic selection before being ready
Definitely is why but we should of traded someone like Batch to up grade our 3rd or 2nd rounder .

Maybe they'll learn this manoeuvre next year.

Why would you trade Batchelor ? He and Grimes are our only 3rd tall backs - Dea hasnt shown nothing yet

Like that Miles kid
If you can't see the difference between picking up a kid from GWS that hasn't had a fair run at it because they are busting at the seams with top 20 draft picks than say a Matt Thomas that has been in the system for 8 years or a Sam Lonergan who had been in the system for 7 then I'm not sure you are adding to the conversation just stirring it up.

Almost exactly my opinion as well bob, I also rate reece McKenzie highly
He has all the tools and just needs the right development and structures around him to really have an impact

Menadue - He is a Gem and in my eyes another 1st round pick/quality player that is going to become our Isaac

Butler/Drummond are also quality players and we will really need to work hard with developing all these kids properly and now they actually have brilliant role models at the club and will have to work hard to earn their games , Unlike previous years when kids were an automatic selection before being ready

Why would you trade Batchelor ? He and Grimes are our only 3rd tall backs - Dea hasnt shown nothing yet
To improve our draft position .

If you can't see the difference between picking up a kid from GWS that hasn't had a fair run at it because they are busting at the seams with top 20 draft picks than say a Matt Thomas that has been in the system for 8 years or a Sam Lonergan who had been in the system for 7 then I'm not sure you are adding to the conversation just stirring it up.
Whoosh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably too late now but , I love the way he is a relentless inside mid that just gives his all and is a big boys aswell, The type of kid that will stand infron of a truck if it meant he had a chance to mark the ball. Also a good mark and reasonable kick.

Ohhh well looks like lower league and learn from what Kane Lambert has been able to do
Yeah its a shame he missed out,Hope he only sees it as a minor setback.

3rd or 2nd rounder , improve your position improve your options.
I personally believe that even if we moved upto say #23-#25 we would still take Menadue - Club rated him that highly and i think its justified
If we moved up the rankings of our 3rd probably would of gone with NB But Drummond looks fine

But i dont dismiss what you are saying and if we had got a pick that enabled us to get either Gore or Rose I would of been ok with that
But still prefer to off load Dea - Would of been good to get a pick for Dea that enabled us to take Gore

I appreciate the input from all the guys on here who take an interest in the junior footy or VFL. That kind of thing can give you a sense of perspective that you can't get from a 3-minute highlight package.

I know some people are getting a bit bent out of shape about the type of player we drafted in the Rookie draft but hell, it's really just an extra 4 rounds tacked onto the main draft with some state league guys thrown in. So basically every player at this stage is going to have some glaring problems with their game. It might be they are too small, or bad attitude, or one sided, or slow.

I'm not super fussy that we picked 'small' guys here. Logic says it's a gamble anyhow, but if they are hot footballers but a few inches too short, well at least they are still hot footballers. Logic says the gun tall midfielders already got taken in the ND. Better to get a hot footballer who is 5'10 than get a plodder who is 6'2". Unless they become a tagger I don't see a lot of use in having a 6'2" plodder on our list. And in any case would rather convert one of the guys on the list who probably isn't gonna make it (Dea?) as a tagger than draft one.

There will always be a spot to replace Foley, and he's been a fine player for us. Likewise King. If just one of these Rookie guys replaces Foley next year then we should be happy with the way we rolled the dice. There's also room for small a crumbing forward if they are good enough. Yeah, it's kind of a dying position but think of how many times guys like Betts carved us up. Just having a guy like him means the opposition have to dedicate someone to minding him, and that can muck with their team selection (just as having a third tall can).

I guess what i'm saying is I don't mind these picks. Would rather a shit hot smaller guy than a taller guy who is one sided or has a bad attitude or something like that.

The big question is from our main list, who is in the potential delist spot for next year who is out of contract( Hampson has a year to go so don't mention him)?

Dea, Maddona, Foley, Mcintosh?

The big question is from our main list, who is in the potential delist spot for next year who is out of contract( Hampson has a year to go so don't mention him)?

Dea, Maddona, Foley, Mcintosh?
The following are out of contract at the end of 2015
Chris Newman
Dylan Grimes
Dustin Martin (not at risk)
Shaun Grigg
Matt Dea
Ricky Petterd
Chris Knights
Alex Rance (not at risk)
Nathan Gordon
Sam Lloyd
Taylor Hunt (believed to have an extension option as part of the 1 year deal)
Kamdyn McIntosh
Matthew McDonough
Nathan Foley
Todd Elton
Matt Arnot
Matt Thomas

plus the new rookies

So other than Martin & Rance, there aren't any others that are a massive worry about losing (although I hope 9-10 of those remaining players have a really good 2015 season and earn a renewal).

Chris Newman
Dylan Grimes
Shaun Grigg
Matt Dea
Ricky Petterd
Chris Knights
Alex Rance (not at risk)
Nathan Gordon
Sam Lloyd
Kamdyn McIntosh
Matthew McDonough
Nathan Foley
Todd Elton
Matt Arnot

plus the new rookies

So other than Martin & Rance, there aren't any others that are a massive worry about losing (although I hope a half dozen or so of them play really well in 2015 and earn a renewal).

Hoping Grimes, McDonough and Elton make themselves worries over losing.

Chris Newman
Dylan Grimes
Shaun Grigg
Matt Dea
Ricky Petterd
Chris Knights
Alex Rance (not at risk)
Nathan Gordon
Sam Lloyd
Kamdyn McIntosh
Matthew McDonough
Nathan Foley
Todd Elton
Matt Arnot
Matt Thomas

plus the new rookies

So other than Martin & Rance, there aren't any others that are a massive worry about losing (although I hope 9-10 of those remaining players have a really good 2015 season and earn a renewal).

Thanks for that mate. The reason why I said this, was we are now getting to the point where we are getting hard to delist players. For me Newman, Foley, Grigg, Dea, Knights are all in the gun.

Thanks for that mate. The reason why I said this, was we are now getting to the point where we are getting hard to delist players. For me Newman, Foley, Grigg, Dea, Knights are all in the gun.
I'd say most of them except for Martin & Rance are in the gun depending on how they play in 2015
I don't think any of them can have a poor year when they are coming out of contract and expect to be re-signed.
Newman, Grigg, Dea, Petterd, Knights, Foley, Arnot & Thomas are probably the ones in the chamber right now, but the others wouldn't want to slack off.
How many go will probably depend on the draft quality next year, which isn't meant to be super deep at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back