List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing is for me we have shown that we can handle getting beaten in the middle by a ruck & still win the clearances. With greater mid depth we can continue that trend & with mobile athletic forward ruck types like Ty & Griff we can attack more with the mids brigade. To me thats more difficult to combat than us going for a ruck (that people are not sure if he is a pure ruck ??) It gives us a diversity in the middle while also rotating our mids forward, once again much more potent, multi-dimentional & difficult to counter. This seems to me the way the club has been heading. More weapons in more positions. Some will say look at how we got beaten early in 2014 & to an extent I'd agree but this was not soley based on Ivan being out we had multiple keys out, including Lids & Tross ...Just my 2c worth.
Yes because we target the opposition receiver as opposed to winning the ruck.

take Wright if available since we'll be getting Danger and Shiel as free agents next year :)

i think we are a little light on KP players and a beast ruck/forward would be ideal. We have not had much since we lost ottens and Griff and Vick are not the solution. they are purely forwards in my opinion. Maric is the closest we have come since Ottens, and he is a pure ruckman who is ok as a resting pforward

if wright not there, then weller - de goey - duggan

Tomlinson looks set to re-sign with GWS.

But I agree insofar as structure. I think our backline structure is okay, but our forward line structure isn't.

We had games in previous years where Ty and JR8 looked to hard to defend against with such an open forward line. But teams (like Collingwood with Mick Naxwell) carved us up when we couldn't stop the third man up problem. Also think out entry into the F50 is suspect - enough that it allows a third tall to rotate of their opponent and be the extra man up.

People forget that 2 years ago, Ty and JR8 kicked the most goals for a duo in the AFL - greater than the then duo of Roughead and Franklin.

The interesting aspect of this is how we integrate the third prong in the forward line being a gun midfielder (Cotchin, Martin, Deledio). Having three talls makes that an extremely congested forward 50, and it would be quite difficult to isolate one of those four 1 out.
having our mids not all sprint fwd and flood our fwd line (bringing thier men/defenders with them) would be a good starting point.... it also has the side effect of when the ball is turned over & there's a quick kick out of our fwd 50 thats all our mids are still in the fwd line & therefore behind the ball (game over/out of the contest), we need some to stat about 70-100m from goal to intercept those kicks & get the ball back in. this will make our fwd line function alot better IMO!

Thing is for me we have shown that we can handle getting beaten in the middle by a ruck & still win the clearances. With greater mid depth we can continue that trend & with mobile athletic forward ruck types like Ty & Griff we can attack more with the mids brigade. To me thats more difficult to combat than us going for a ruck (that people are not sure if he is a pure ruck ??) It gives us a diversity in the middle while also rotating our mids forward, once again much more potent, multi-dimentional & difficult to counter. This seems to me the way the club has been heading. More weapons in more positions. Some will say look at how we got beaten early in 2014 & to an extent I'd agree but this was not soley based on Ivan being out we had multiple keys out, including Lids & Tross ...Just my 2c worth.

Our centre clearance stats are a joke and you only need to watch the elimination final to see an example of that. Stoppage clearance stats are much better. We do need a replacement for Maric and rucks take years. Might as well start now and grab Wright if he is available but doubt he will be. If he is not, top up with mids simple as that

Liam Duggan matured quickly after teammate’s death, set to be first-round draft pick

Here are a couple of quotes from the article

Richmond has spoken to Duggan several times and wants to add to its growing band of classy ball users at pick 12, while draft sources believe Duggan won’t get past North Melbourne at pick 16.

An AFL recruiter noted he was among the most impressive interviewees seen, with clubs believing he is the safest selection in this year’s pool.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/pick-m...round-draft-pick/story-fnaqgujp-1227119874846

Liam Duggan matured quickly after teammate’s death, set to be first-round draft pick

Richmond has spoken to Duggan several times and wants to add to its growing band of classy ball users at pick 12, while draft sources believe Duggan won’t get past North Melbourne at pick 16.

An AFL recruiter noted he was among the most impressive interviewees seen, with clubs believing he is the safest selection in this year’s pool.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/pick-m...round-draft-pick/story-fnaqgujp-1227119874846

100% He's Coming to Richmond

Im going to sell my house now and lay it all on Duggan to Tigers - Easy Money ;)

Its looking like duggan is a lock for 12. Unless weller slides. Honestly think the club will take weller first but dont think he will slide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Duggen. We can pretty much guarantee it unless west coast take him which is very unlikely.

Great addition to our midfield. First class ball user, left footer, great decision maker, very classy and can win his own ball if needed. Can't wait to see him and Ellis off each wing and release a Deledio and Martin even more.

It's Duggen. We can pretty much guarantee it unless west coast take him which is very unlikely.

Great addition to our midfield. First class ball user, left footer, great decision maker, very classy and can win his own ball if needed. Can't wait to see him and Ellis off each wing and release a Deledio and Martin even more.

What about posters saying he is slow? 3.1 for 20 metre sprint in combine?

I wouldn't be guaranteeing anything yet. Anything can happen and usually does!

I rate Duggan higher than most but I would not be prepared to suggest we will get him at 12 even if available at this early stage.

Last edited:
i feel like i can always tell who we are after in the draft these past few years, ellis, vlaustin and lennon were all great kids with character and Duggan screams of this as well. if we do draft him i would be pretty happy, only slightly worried about that pace and his composure under pressure. Lets all remind ourselves that he is very young, wont be 18 until after the draft, and has a lot of improvement left in him. reminds me of a few players from the highlight packages, a bit of cotch with his n0.9 guernsey and i guess his running gate, also a bit of nicky dal, kade simpson, and even toby greene with the way he runs

the only thing that makes me a little concerned about Duggan and thats his pace, Im not sure if you can actually improve your speed much after 18

I do like Duggan as a footballer and also like the fact that he is bottom age and 184 78 kgs, He will probably end up around 186/7 cm and 85/86kgs and good kicking skills

But what do we do about pace , Its all same same. Duggan looks like a direct replacement for Newman if we select him

I still want Cockatoo

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back