List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't necessarily think that GWS will win by 2016, I actually think GC have a better list - though that's another argument for another time.

But you are right about the contracts for these young players and that we have to go 'heavy' in this draft. As soon as free agency comes in, it becomes more and more like a property market. The next big contract will be based on the previous big contract. As stated before, the rumour around those in the know at the kennel is that after Boyd's massive contract, Bontempelli may sit down and say 'what are you going to do for me?'

As soon as free agency hit, it becomes closer to a free-for-all. You look at other major sporting associations in which Free Agency plays apart (NBA and NFL) and you cannot be successful without good young players - you need quality on small dollar contracts which only occurs for either veterans, players who improve a ridiculous amount or rookies. The last option is usually the most likely - though you realistically need players from each column.

(NB: FOR an example, the NBA Finals MVP Kawhi Leonard of the San Antonio Spurs is still on his rookie contract - circa $3 million - he is the 8th highest paid player on the team THIS season - would have been lower last season).

It is maybe why we are seeing ruckman slip more often now than in the last few years (Luenberger, Ryder, Kruezer, Longer all top 10 draft picks versus Grundy slipping, and now possibly Wright) because with the sub, most teams only play 1 genuine ruckman. But also, they take longer to develop (as you say Mr Magic ) coupled with the majority of rookie contracts being 2 years in the length. You are not going to be able to jump up the ladder drastically from say the top 10 if you don't have a player who has an impact on their rookie contract.

I think it is why we have publically stated we are 'invested' in this draft. If we go and re-sign up the out-of-contract players (Cotchin, Rance and Dusty would all demand more money) and we sign up another big name free agent (for an example say Dangerfield) you do not have a lot of money to move around with to lift up the bottom part of your list (say 18-28 players). If those players can be either veterans or rookies (thus on lesser dollars) it makes it us that much more deeper.

Case in point. Hawthorn had a bunch of ex-listed players (Cheney, Ceglar, Simpkin etc), but a bunch of younger players. Look at Langford, Litherland and Hartung all of whom played significant minutes in the season this year.

All of this in a round about way to say that we have to nail the draft. I am talking myself into NOT taking Wright the more we discuss this Mr Magic.

The more I think about the more I have come to the conclusion our most important signing is Dusty in terms of our future prospects. He is critical!

You need players on rookie contracts because they are not on market rates eg. Selwood in 2007. Clubs like GWS will have to trade out guns prior to FA for rookie draftees to maintain the value of their list as long as possible via the guise of regulated rookie contracts as they are not at market value reducing their nominal list value under their cap.

So we need to keep guys like Dusty in that generation to attract GWS guns and others that have to be offloaded! Young leadership in our youngsters will be important to!

I think I see were you may be going with Wright. I had a similar response to the Gun where quality ruck types develop quicker. However, all this depends on where RFC sees where the best window is to get a premiership. If GWS does win in 2016 or just misses we probably need to look a little further out when they need to trade some of their stars out.

Last edited:

12 - Weller/Duggan
33 - Goodyear/McGrath
3rd - McGrath/Boekhorst
4th - Boekhorst/Marcon
- Miles [upgrade]

Rookie Draft
Marcon
Daniel
Mennen

17937d1358857677-black-red-argh-do-.png

There'll be better players available at 33 than Goodyear/McGrath

There'll be better players available at 33 than Goodyear/McGrath

Neal-Bullen/Cavka even Glenn possibly for me at 33.

Neal-Bullen/Cavka even Glenn possibly for me at 33.

Bit high for Glenn but agree on the other two. If we get Duggan, hopefully Cavka, Viojo-Rainbow or Menadue are available at 33, if we get Weller, any of Miller, Neal-Bullen or Gore would give us a nice mix. Plenty of good options. I'd really love Clem Smith at 52 if he slips that far. Very talented

what about caleb Daniel for pick 52
seems like a very good player could have a lewis taylor thing going on ..
being so small makes him slip right down the order.. but I rekon that small can be an advantage to a certain degree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

being so small makes him slip right down the order.. but I rekon that small can be an advantage to a certain degree

Daniel might go as a rookie I reckon. Clubs put a premium on physique these days and sadly that's bad news for someone of Daniel's stature. He's more lightly built than Taylor and 6cm shorter, without being startlingly quick. Having said that I wouldn't be against taking him at 70 if still there.

the only thing that makes me a little concerned about Duggan and thats his pace, Im not sure if you can actually improve your speed much after 18

100% can. Many players employ running coaches to address shortcomings. Might not be able to turn Matt Thomas into Ussain Bolt, but improvement is definitely possible at his young age.

100% can. Many players weekly running coaches to address shortcomings. Might not be able to turn Matt Thomas into Ussain Bolt, but improvement is definitely possible at his young age.

If he had better speed, I believe his upside is probably higher than Weller give the age difference,Liam is 10 months younger than lachie Weller and 3cm taller but Im sure liam would still have another 2-3cm to grow still and will probably become 186cm 83/84kgs in 2 years time

Effectively exact same size as Nick Del Santo .................. But Pace , I just cant be that confident he can improve from 3.20-3.00 level

Ideal draft, probably fanciful, but that's what ideal drafts are for

#12. Duggan- Would love either him or Weller, gone with Duggan because of his character and young age, probably has a bigger scope to keep improving for mine.

#33. Blakely- This would have been seen as reasonable a month ago but probably highly unlikely now. Think he is terrific and if Duggan and Weller are off the table at 12 and we are after a mid I'd love it to be this bloke

#52. Lonie- Good small forward. Could still be here, could be gone, who knows

#70. Boekhurst- Seems like a really guy to take a punt on at 70, has an awesome highlights package and has all the skills and pace we could want if we could polish him up.

R1- Daniel- He's just a gun, absolute gun, don't care how small he is
R2- Teia Miles- Small defender/mid, hard at it could be a good option if Morris doesn't come on
R3- Mellington- Big inside mid who finished the year with a bang, think he played some games with us in the VFL too and did ok?
R4- Hartley- Mature aged big KPD, depth incase Rance or Astbury go down which we lack
R5- Arnot

If he had better speed, I believe his upside is probably higher than Weller give the age difference,Liam is 10 months younger than lachie Weller and 3cm taller but Im sure liam would still have another 2-3cm to grow still and will probably become 186cm 83/84kgs in 2 years time

Effectively exact same size as Nick Del Santo .................. But Pace , I just cant be that confident he can improve from 3.20-3.00 level
Want weller. But would settle for duggan. Weller better rounded player. from what iv seen and read. Good on the inside and outside. With excellent pace. Some reckon he is the best kick in the draft. But true about duggan. He is younger and in 10 months time could be where weller is at.

I'd take a risk on him prior to the rookie draft.

So Dan says we are looking for inside midfielders 1st before pace. Thing is pace is all the go this year and something we are missing. Midfielders without pace seems to be the go for a 2nd round rather than a 1st. Not likely to pick up pace in our 2nd round.

Question is are we going pace 1st or inside grunt.

History would say grunt but what is history if not to be broken.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 Draft + DFA Talk Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back