List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Discussion

Who would you like us to select with our first round pick right now? (Wright & Durdin excluded)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why is everyone talkin about Carlisle Clarke butcher Casboult etc

Going with the draft immediately destined us to another 6 years plus of no finals coz it takes that long for KPS to come thru in the draft(of they do and out strike rate is currently 0%)

But hey let's keep trying what hasn't worked ever :)

I think we should ask Sydney about Reid, but I wouldn't give up pick one for him. And also, apparently we....

Hang on? o_O I thought this was the List Management Thread?

My bad guys :eek:

Then why is everyone talkin about Carlisle Clarke butcher Casboult etc

Going with the draft immediately destined us to another 6 years plus of no finals coz it takes that long for KPS to come thru in the draft(of they do and out strike rate is currently 0%)

But hey let's keep trying what hasn't worked ever :)
Patience grasshopper. Norf are playing finals this year for the first time in 7 years, I repeat 7 years! We are four years into a major rebuild and already have a midfield that will be top three. (Libba, McCrae, Bonti, Griffin & Dahl). We have the bones of other positions Forwards in Hunter, Cramieri and Stringer. Backs our weakest point in my opinion Roughy, Talia and maybe Darley but that is a large hole to fill. Rucks still a question mark but compare the 2011 team to 2014 huge changes have been made. We still need top end talent from the draft and top up with targeted players after that.

Patience grasshopper. Norf are playing finals this year for the first time in 7 years, I repeat 7 years! We are four years into a major rebuild and already have a midfield that will be top three. (Libba, McCrae, Bonti, Griffin & Dahl). We have the bones of other positions Forwards in Hunter, Cramieri and Stringer. Backs our weakest point in my opinion Roughy, Talia and maybe Darley but that is a large hole to fill. Rucks still a question mark but compare the 2011 team to 2014 huge changes have been made. We still need top end talent from the draft and top up with targeted players after that.

You might want to check that stat, as far as I can see this is North's third finals series since 2008.

You might want to check that stat, as far as I can see this is North's third finals series since 2008.
First win on the weekend though. I dunno about you guys but I'd prefer to do it right and actually do some damage in finals than get in there and do a Richmond or Norf of previous years, those teams are never going to win a premiership with their current lists.

I am still of the opinion that we should go best of, in this order if available...

Wright - just looks a player, could get made our first ruck or our full fwd. Take your pick.

Durdin - seems to have a great scope to develop into a carlisle/henderson type, whilst stats didn't stand out he took some big marks at the carnival and looks to have good skills for a big.

Laverde - hbf with pace, good overhead, takes the game on and makes things happen, should be able to become a tall mid and is from the local TAC team. Does he not fill many needs?

I also feel that we could even try and trade up our second pick and take a Duggan or Menadue there, again both being jets players and both filling needs as a hbf/mid who can create and break the lines with good disposal. With late picks possibly look to trade or draft for KPD options?

Imagine if Geelong traded pick six in 2006, they needed mature players as that's what they lacked to be a proper contender. They drafted Joel Selwood..

Let's just stick to the draft, with our recent drafting I have no doubt we will make a good selection. Hopefully Wright, Lever or Durdin.
Pogba for PM.

Imagine if Geelong traded pick six in 2006, they needed mature players as that's what they lacked to be a proper contender. They drafted Joel Selwood..

Let's just stick to the draft, with our recent drafting I have no doubt we will make a good selection. Hopefully Wright, Lever or Durdin.

With all due respect, sticking purely to the draft won't work.

For instance if we draft a 17/18 yr old KP now it's likely to be five years before we know whether he is any good.

A judicious mix of drafting, FAing and trading is what all of the successful clubs do.

Hawks have picked up Hale, Burgoyne, Gibson, Lake, Gunston (and Spangher and Cheney for depth). Lake and Gunston were first and second best on the ground in their GF winning team last year. They also picked up S Dew who turned the game to help them surprise Geelong.

Sydney have picked up Tippett, Franklin, Kennedy, Shaw, McGlynn (Derickx for depth). Say no more other than in a year they are premiership contenders their trading has netted the Coleman medalist and a Brownlow medal favourite.

What is even more interesting is that both clubs have given up serious talent to enable these pickups to occur. Sydney lost Mumford, Hawks lost McGlynn and Kennedy (a favourite son). They also lost Shotgun Williams.

Port have picked up Polec, Schulz and Monfries for loose change. Geelong has picked up Caddy and Rivers (and don't forget Mooney and Ottens)

Suggesting that trading players out ruins a club's culture is antiquated (see Kennedy). Relying on pure drafting is nonsensical in a corporate age of compromised drafts, FAs and where players are seen as commodities (often by their own choice).

We need to be canny and ruthless in our list management to build a great team and that means using every list building tool at our disposal not just drafting.

With all due respect, sticking purely to the draft won't work.

For instance if we draft a 17/18 yr old KP now it's likely to be five years before we know whether he is any good.

A judicious mix of drafting, FAing and trading is what all of the successful clubs do.

Hawks have picked up Hale, Burgoyne, Gibson, Lake, Gunston (and Spangher and Cheney for depth). Lake and Gunston were first and second best on the ground in their GF winning team last year. They also picked up S Dew who turned the game to help them surprise Geelong.

Sydney have picked up Tippett, Franklin, Kennedy, Shaw, McGlynn (Derickx for depth). Say no more other than in a year they are premiership contenders their trading has netted the Coleman medalist and a Brownlow medal favourite.

What is even more interesting is that both clubs have given up serious talent to enable these pickups to occur. Sydney lost Mumford, Hawks lost McGlynn and Kennedy (a favourite son). They also lost Shotgun Williams.

Port have picked up Polec, Schulz and Monfries for loose change. Geelong has picked up Caddy and Rivers (and don't forget Mooney and Ottens)

Suggesting that trading players out ruins a club's culture is antiquated (see Kennedy). Relying on pure drafting is nonsensical in a corporate age of compromised drafts, FAs and where players are seen as commodities (often by their own choice).

We need to be canny and ruthless in our list management to build a great team and that means using every list building tool at our disposal not just drafting.
And all those clubs brought in those players over multiple years. We've already brought in Crameri and Stevens as best 22 players, Young as depth and Darley as a kid with upside who will probably be best 22 next year. It also looks very likely we bring in another best 22 player via trade this year and probably even another cheap kid with upside I'd say. We are using trades to improve the list. People are just asking that we don't go crazy and look for a quick fix, just keep hitting the draft hard and making smart trades where you can.

I also suspect we will be active in FA but the clubs not at that stage yet. FA is for older guys in their prime who want success or are average players looking for a big pay out. Both don't fit our list at this stage. Next year is when FA should really start to come into play for us IMO, providing there's some decent options available of course.

Keep hitting the draft, fill a few holes with good trades, (not against being bold and making a big play for a gun forward but it just has to be logical and it doesn't even look like there's any available) and then our list will be building nicely, with heaps of cap space still free to spend on FA when were actually challenging or close to it, that should be the game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

edit: was going to rant, but I will just point out that while geelong drafted Selwood in 2006, they traded for ottens in 2004. (a very shallow draft year)

Last edited:
edit: was going to rant, but I will just point out that while geelong drafted Selwood in 2006, they traded for ottens in 2004. (a very shallow draft year)
Which was considered a very suspect trade at the time as he had underperformed horribly whilst at Richmond. But it paid off in spades.

Back on Foster...Whats the difference between taking with our final pick in the ND or our first Rookie pick? Surely it just makes more sense to nominate him, know that we are not willing to pay anymore than a fourth round and then if ok we take him. Surely there arne't many picks after R5 and before first round of rookies anyway?

Seriously we have been crying our for a KPF for years and we have the opportunity to pick up a cheap TAC cup goal kicking winning FF F/S and we are saying we'll only take him at a Rookie... Doesn't make sense to me...
Cost to the club I guess. It doesn't make sense to me, but if that is what the club thinks.

How do we get three pick vin the top 20 pan? Anyways if we don't trade away our second second round pick I'm all for a Wright/Durdin + Menadue/Langford + Oscar McDonald first two rounds. Got our talls for the nationals (we take 2 more as rookies possibly mature agers) would just need someone who is very well skilled in the 3rd/4th round (depending on where Zaine goes)
Anyway, Wright and Durdin, followed by hopefully a sliding Lever when we find a way of getting a pick in the teens.

How do we get three pick vin the top 20 pan? Anyways if we don't trade away our second second round pick I'm all for a Wright/Durdin + Menadue/Langford + Oscar McDonald first two rounds. Got our talls for the nationals (we take 2 more as rookies possibly mature agers) would just need someone who is very well skilled in the 3rd/4th round (depending on where Zaine goes)
I create the problems, I don't fix them ;)

Surely we go to the draft with pick 5, considering the KP talent available. Fingers crossed its Wright, because he fits the most obvious need, but I'd be happy with Durdin. I reckon Rough has been looking shaky at FB. Durdin would allow us to try Rough in the David Hale type role and maybe even help build a forward structure without selling the farm.

Surely we go to the draft with pick 5, considering the KP talent available. Fingers crossed its Wright, because he fits the most obvious need, but I'd be happy with Durdin. I reckon Rough has been looking shaky at FB. Durdin would allow us to try Rough in the David Hale type role and maybe even help build a forward structure without selling the farm.
I'd still take Lever over Durdin if it comes down to those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back