Preview 2014 Draft Our First Pick - Who Do We Take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless we can somehow upgrade our first pick so we could get Petracca which would be highly unlikely because we would need give up our first and a quality player. I wouldn't be aposed to trading our pick for a good player from GWS or Gold Coast around the age of 20-21.
I wouldn't mind trading it for WHE.

Under Chocco's wing??

I'd die of shock if we took him lol
What about Jurrah?

I also wouldn't mind if we went Lever or Durdin. Would mean our backline is set up for 10 years. We might not have a pick this low again for a while and be able to grab a quality KPD who 'could' be a star. Chaplin only has a few years left.

I will be happy with either Durdin/Lever or any outside classy midfielder.

I really haven't looked much this year but Weller sounds a sure thing to be a good player for 10 years..pretty hard to miss these days with top 10 mids. However we also have to target pace and maybe it's time to take a risk on someone like Laverde or Pickett.
I would love to get Lever. As I've posted before, I reckon he has midfield potential. If not, star CHB.

The Weller write-up mentions his hanger against NSW but fails to mention he barely touched the ball the rest of the game.
He had 15 touches in a 20 min per quarter game. Works out to about 22 in a full game. Nothing wrong with that.

tigs2010 richoatthedisco

Paige Cardonas write ups of Ahern Weller & Laverde. Her full Phantom can be found here

Pick 6: Carlton - Paul Ahern

Position: Midfielder/Forward
Height: 181cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 01/08/1996
Club: Calder Cannons
Projected draft range: 5-15
Player comparison: Dale Thomas

With a stand out National Championships netting All-Australian honours, Paul Ahern’s rise up the draft ranks has been profound. The Calder Cannons star has come from a long way back, but since averaging 17 disposals and 1.5 goals per game for Vic Metro, Ahern has become a busy midfielder with a knack of making things happen when he’s around. His vision and awareness through traffic is top-drawer, as are his foot skills. He finds targets short or deep, and importantly can do either off a step. He has great spatial awareness, which – coupled with incredible explosive speed and agility – makes him such a dangerous player with ball in hand. Around the packs he has clean hands and an uncanny ability to slip out of tackles and take off from a stoppage. He is lethal around goal and kicks goals on the burst, and his pace and link up work are focal points of his game. He is an important avenue to goal with score involvements and assists and was Vic Metro’s highest in both statistics. Ahern averaged 7.8 contested possessions, 3.2 inside 50s and three clearances in the carnival at 72.8 per cent disposal efficiency. His gut running and flair will feature prominently in this year’s draft. Since returning to the TAC Cup, Ahern has averaged 15 disposals, 1.5 marks, four tackles and a goal a game.

Pick 7: Richmond - Lachie Weller

Position: Midfielder
Height: 181 cm, Weight: 71 kg, DOB: 23/02/1996
Club: Broadbeach
Projected draft range: 6-15
Player comparison: Dayne Beams

Incredibly underrated and by far one of the most polished kicks of the draft, Lachie Weller’s outside polish will address the need for speed and outside flair for the Tigers. A brilliant decision maker, and a player that plays with a certain flair, Weller has been part of Gold Coast’s Academy. However, he is ineligible to be selected by them in the bidding process, given he hasn’t resided in Queensland long enough to warrant a zone selection. Weller is arguably the most well-rounded and refined midfielder in this year’s draft crop. The medium-sized midfielder wins his own ball on the inside, and can hurt the opposition on the outside. An exciting speedster that is pure silk, Weller makes good decisions with the ball in hand, but his work-ethic, gut-running and efficient link up play are outstanding traits that dominated the National Championships in division two. He and his St Kilda-listed brother Maverick are polar opposites, but Weller junior is the pick of the two. He has terrific hands and an equally brilliant kick. He’s got serious depth in the way he moves the ball by foot, whether long or short, and is a danger at the stoppages where his clearance and tackling rate are of the highest quality. Quite a busy, high-production midfielder, Weller has played senior NEAFL football as well as benefiting from having access to Gold Coast as a part of their academy. He wins a heap of the footy, kicks goals and is a well-rounded leader for his age. He averaged 18.3 disposals at 75 per cent disposal efficiency, along with a goal, two marks and two clearances a game during the National Championships.

Pick 9: Gold Coast - Jayden Laverde

Position: Midfielder/Utility
Height: 189cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 12/04/1996
Club: Western Jets
Projected draft range 6-20
Player comparison: Jared Brennan (more consistent)

Should the Suns enter the draft at pick 10 with Academy boy Lachie Weller available, it’ll be a flip of a coin: however, Western Jets prodigy Jayden Laverde adds a serious point of difference and x-factor onto their list. The epitome of an athletic and speedy winger who can play every position well, Jayden Laverde’s National Championships mirrored exactly what he’s been dishing up at TAC Cup level this year. Laverde is a sublime mover: he glides through the wings with poise and speed, and loves to cut through congestion with long strides where he can burst out from a contested situation and run the ball, propelling his team into attack. With terrific composure and a knack to always bob up, Laverde showed through the Championships just how dangerous he could be when he was shifted forward. Laverde kicked three goals in game six against Western Australia off 17 disposals at a ridiculous 91 per cent disposal efficiency. Laverde is another tall midfielder with a thumping yet accurate kick, and is one of the more damaging players available in this year’s draft. His versatility is highly favoured, but he looks his best playing off half back and on a wing where he can use his marking game and endurance to cut games open.

These are the 3 kids I've settled on at this stage for our first pick. With their speed and class they would be the perfect additions to our midfield and IMO we can't go wrong with any 1 of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see Weller's NEAFL stats.

Ahern only getting 15 a game in TAC Cup is a concern.

Lever and Laverde are still my two faves.
Ask and you shall receive:
9/8/14 vs Brisbane Reserves: 19 disposals(10k/9hb) 6 marks 1 tackle 3 I50 2 R50
13/7/14 vs Aspley: 15 disposals(9k/6hb) 3 marks 1 tackle 2 clearances 3 I50 1 goal
7/6/14 vs Aspley: 20 disposals(9k/11hb) 3 marks 1 tackle 2 clearances 2 I50 2 R50
26/4/14 vs Eastlake: 26 disposals(17k/9hb) 7 marks 3 tackles 3 clearances 7 I50 1 R50
29/3/14 vs Gold Coast Reserves: 19 disposals(14k/5hb) 10 marks 1 tackle 1 clearance 5 I50 1 R50

There is one other game that he has played but the link for the stats take me to another game. Hope this helps.

Wellers stats while not huge are still pretty good for a kid that would be giving away a fair amount of weight to most opponents he'd be playing against. It's good to see him playing against men too

Weller is too good to let slip if he's there. He oozes class from every orifice. Otherwise, I don't mind Ahern to add a bit of polish around the HF area, or Brayshaw or De Goey as potential replacements for Jackson. Brayshaw's abilities are well documented but I think De Goey's lack of football in the last few years belies some real talent. He can do it all and I wouldn't be surprised if we look back in a few years and see him as a steal.

Rumours that Tomlinson from GWS wants out and has nominated us as preferred destination. Say GWS agreed to a straight swap for our first pick, would the draft watchers be happy with that? Or are we better off keeping it and landing Laverde/Weller/Ahern?

Rumours that Tomlinson from GWS wants out and has nominated us as preferred destination. Say GWS agreed to a straight swap for our first pick, would the draft watchers be happy with that? Or are we better off keeping it and landing Laverde/Weller/Ahern?
I'd take him for sure!
CHB to take over from Chaplin.

Makes sense. He would find it tough to get a game ahead of Boyd, Patton and Cameron in the forward line and in the back line he would play CHB and P Davis has that spot stitched up. In our side he would play CHF which would effectively mean that Griff or Ty become depth players or trade bait.

I wouldn't mind swapping one of Griff or Ty for Tomlinson for that reason as I think both Griff and Ty are fwd/rucks whereas Tomlinson is a full time CHF/CHB. Might need to throw in a pick but that would preserve our first pick to inject some speed.

We have been so much better with Lids playing well that I'd be super tempted to prioritise someone with run and carry ability in this draft. Looking forward to draft camp to make my mind up more but Pickett, Ahern and Laverde are all very tempting. Interested to see how Weller tests as well. I think the player with the best speed/endurance combo out of that lot will be hard to pass over.

Makes sense. He would find it tough to get a game ahead of Boyd, Patton and Cameron in the forward line and in the back line he would play CHB and P Davis has that spot stitched up. In our side he would play CHF which would effectively mean that Griff or Ty become depth players or trade bait.

I wouldn't mind swapping one of Griff or Ty for Tomlinson for that reason as I think both Griff and Ty are fwd/rucks whereas Tomlinson is a full time CHF/CHB. Might need to throw in a pick but that would preserve our first pick to inject some speed.

We have been so much better with Lids playing well that I'd be super tempted to prioritise someone with run and carry ability in this draft. Looking forward to draft camp to make my mind up more but Pickett, Ahern and Laverde are all very tempting. Interested to see how Weller tests as well. I think the player with the best speed/endurance combo out of that lot will be hard to pass over.
Perhaps add in a player and try to swap our first and Vickery for Tomlinson and WHE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2014 Draft Our First Pick - Who Do We Take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back