Preview 2014 Draft Our First Pick - Who Do We Take?

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were to trade it I'd rather it be for a runner like WHE instead of another KPP. We have a number of young KPP that need development. Adding some classy outside run might allow us to use guys like Martin and Cotchin as forwards more often.

Rumours that Tomlinson from GWS wants out and has nominated us as preferred destination. Say GWS agreed to a straight swap for our first pick, would the draft watchers be happy with that? Or are we better off keeping it and landing Laverde/Weller/Ahern?
Is this the one on the rumours board or did you hear it yourself from a good source because the guy that started that thread also has heard
Grimes to Melbourne
Beams to Brisbane
Goldsack to Brisbane
Alot of his posts begin as "I heard...........

Rumours that Tomlinson from GWS wants out and has nominated us as preferred destination. Say GWS agreed to a straight swap for our first pick, would the draft watchers be happy with that? Or are we better off keeping it and landing Laverde/Weller/Ahern?
Just had a look at PRE. I wouldn't be getting too excited with what is posted over there.

From the guys that look to be around our pick I want whoever is the best two way runner and tackler out of Weller, Laverde and Ahern.

Just had a look at PRE. I wouldn't be getting too excited with what is posted over there.

Nah, just interested to know where folks think Tomlinson would lie in this draft pool really. I rate him, but there's always the worry that you'll pass on total gun to get him. Laverde and Weller seem the most likely to bite us if we pass on them IMO

Nah, just interested to know where folks think Tomlinson would lie in this draft pool really. I rate him, but there's always the worry that you'll pass on total gun to get him. Laverde and Weller seem the most likely to bite us if we pass on them IMO
I think it depends on if we keep Griff. If we do, then hit the draft.

Tomlinson is definitely a worthy talent of our pick, but if we were to get him we'd essentially be giving up on Griffiths, as they both play in pretty much the same area.

what is everybodys thoughts on tom lamb, i feel hes probably top 5 on talent just his attitude and workrate suck.
would love him running off half back just our pick is probably a touch early. I think anyone with a brain knows we need outside ball users with pace with our first pick eg ahern and weller but passing on this guy might bite us like fyfe.

For mine just get the kid who gives us come outside class and speed, while still being capable of winning their own footy. Not too fussed if it's a kid from the draft of a trade for a ready made Giant/Sun kid. We get that and our midfield gets that extra dimension to it that it's lacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Added Liam Duggan and Corey Ellis to the mix as I believe they'll come into calculation now that we're outside the top 10.

I was not that excited by him but he did look good running down the wing on the weekend!

Tomlinson is definitely a worthy talent of our pick, but if we were to get him we'd essentially be giving up on Griffiths, as they both play in pretty much the same area.

Don't agree. In fact Tomlinson and Griffith's can compliment each other as well as JR who prefers being deeper.

As we a getting further up the draft list it is getting harder to get quality from the draft. Initially I thought Tomlinson might have limited upside but now I am not so sure. If we got Tomlinson we would not have to worry about a CHF with Griffith's as well and Tomlinson may be able to assist in defense to.
Not the worst option as he could actually open up a few options for us IMO in terms of versatility and team synergy.

In theory Tomlinson can provide the extra athletism, marking target with suitable size and movement at half forward to support Griffith's and Lids, Dusty remembering Griffith's at times will be in the ruck to. Griffith's and Tomlinson can operate in different areas at half forward. The beauty about Griffith's is he doesn't' have to play a central centre half forward and can drift up the ground and around. The main benefit with Tomlinson is as a mobile lead up option, which the team is still deficient in as well as assisting in defense without losing a lot of running power

Last edited:
24 hours ago I would have said another key forward however with our signings, Mcbean , vickery and astbury out of today's side, we need to bolster an undersized midfield. With our first selection, hopefully a quality selection
Wouldn't be against trading it for a quality mid in their early 20's who is ready to go and contribute now.

24 hours ago I would have said another key forward however with our signings, Mcbean , vickery and astbury out of today's side, we need to bolster an undersized midfield. With our first selection, hopefully a quality selection

Trouble is there is little quality around first pick, and its hard to get required quality mids from clubs atm with little available

Pickett or Ahern. We need some speed our midfield is too one paced.

I fear they are not good enough, Pickett is a bit risky and short to. Will they be competitive at AFL level and height maybe an issue. Later pick maybe but with our pick really need potential premium types I would have thought.

Someone like Laverde yes but can't see him lasting..

I fear they are not good enough, Pickett is a bit risky and short to. Will they be competitive at AFL level and height maybe an issue. Later pick maybe but with our pick really need potential premium types I would have thought.

Someone like Laverde yes but can't see him lasting..
De Goey for me. Or trade for Shiel if we can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2014 Draft Our First Pick - Who Do We Take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back