Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are actually a few very hand players around the 30-40 marks. If one of Blakely, Miller or Vickers-Willis could slide, that'd be ideal.

Jack Lonie could be a good option around 40-50 too.

I think we'll go Brayshaw/Lever - to great talents with great leadership credentials, even if Lever is seen as a risk.

O'Meara, Crouch, Hogan and Martin were all taken based off of their junior seasons, and have mostly turned out okay. Like them Lever was (apparently) rated as a top prospect at 17. ACL fear is legitimate but from what I've read it sounds like he's now 100% and tested well enough at the combine. If we take him it'll be having done our due diligence, no doubt.

So was Tom Swift. In fact Swift would be a better comparison as both were prospective pick 1 before their ACL.

Best player available and Pat McCartin and Hogan would be a great duo.

You can never have too many good players, Big or small.

I agree I'm still on the Brayshaw/McCartin bandwagon, a lot more likely to find diamond in the rough midfielders later on in the draft than key position players.

They are both best available and needs which is perfect for us.

The idea of having 2 forwards for a decade sounds very promising and it means we can target mids every draft

If we are short in the midfield in years to come though it will keep us stuck to the bottom of the ladder
Could very well be two shitty forwards though.

Moving now to the draft I think our picks 2 and 3 are a locked in ..

the definite is:

Brayshaw

the next is either ..

Petracca or McCartin - St Kilda will pick either (which personally if we got a mid and a key forward I think it would be the best thing for our club).

With the depth of mids we could pick up a diamond at pick 40 +

Also do you thing we will go to the preseason draft with a selection? We could target a ready made mid there.

looking at some delisting's I feel we could add depth there.

George Burbury
Jared Petrenko
Clint Jones

Just a example and with some more delisting it wont cost us much. I know they wouldn't be in best 22 but they would be in best 27 ..

More interesting is going to be the delistings.

2014: 40 senior, 4 rookie
Out: Clark, Byrnes, Frawley, Clisby, Nicho
In: Lumumba, Garlett, Frost, Stretch, ND2, ND3, ND40, ND53, PSD2?

At least 4 cuts from the senior list when you factor in Jetta, probably 5.

Que? As a coach, you're not allowed to send a second bloke to a player if he's kicked 10 goals on your best defender?

From Roosy's mouth mate at a member function - so you'll have to ask him!

In the NAB junior competitions, you aren't allowed to tag, flood or go 2-on-1.

It's a rule brought in place to make sure there's an even playing field and so the all players have an equal opportunity to learn.

It makes sense - that system is about teaching and developing young footballers - so the last thing you want is a coach flooding the back line for 3 quarters and making the game a scrap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More interesting is going to be the delistings.

2014: 40 senior, 4 rookie
Out: Clark, Byrnes, Frawley, Clisby, Nicho
In: Lumumba, Garlett, Frost, Stretch, ND2, ND3, ND40, ND53, PSD2?

At least 4 cuts from the senior list when you factor in Jetta, probably 5.

So Strauss, Blease, Tapscott, Evans, McKenzie, Matt Jones and Terlich are under the gun. If we had another half reasonable developing ruck, Spencer would be too.

It's a rule brought in place to make sure there's an even playing field and so the all players have an equal opportunity to learn.

It makes sense - that system is about teaching and developing young footballers - so the last thing you want is a coach flooding the back line for 3 quarters and making the game a scrap.

Flooding makes sense, but no tagging or going 2 on 1? Silly. Good players need to learn to deal with that as it'll happen when they play senior football.

So Strauss, Blease, Tapscott, Evans, McKenzie, Matt Jones and Terlich are under the gun. If we had another half reasonable developing ruck, Spencer would be too.

Yup.

I get the feeling that they are just going to eat the cap on someone since we're struggling to make the minimum anyway.

No wonder so many new players struggle at AFL level if this is the case. They're effectively playing a different game!

Flooding makes sense, but no tagging or going 2 on 1? Silly. Good players need to learn to deal with that as it'll happen when they play senior football.

Not really.

It'd make it pretty hard for scouts to judge a 17 year old midfielder that gets tagged every week against the ones who don't.

You also aren't allowed to play a loose man in defense.

Terlich and Spencil both got extensions this year though, so they're safe. I assume the others mentioned will all be on the way out though.

I hope we get Petracca along with Brayshaw but if we don't, I don't mind who we take with our 3rd pick. The only one that concerns me is Lever. He has already had a knee reco & due to our rotten luck with everything thats one risk I think we should avoid.

There shouldn't be any problem creating the list space we need with players like Blease, Evans, Strauss, Barry, Hunt, Tapscott, and (sadly) McKenzie all candidates to be delisted. Terlich should be safe and I can't see why Matt Jones is being mentioned by so many. Until the young players come on he would seem to be a required player.

I'd like to see us use our draft selections as follows :-

Pick 2: Brayshaw
Clearly the best player in the draft IMO. Inside and outside game, tackling machine, solidly enough built and makes good use of the ball.

Pick 3: McCartin
A top class key forward is worth gold and McCartin looks one of the best to come along in a while. He also fills a need with Clark gone, Dawes disappointing, Fitzy looking unlikely to make the grade and Hogan with an injury that could continue to interrupt his career. Our midfield got plenty of the ball this season but we had a pathetic number of inside 50s because our mids weren't confident to actually kick the ball inside 50 to our underperforming forwards. That has to change if we're ever going to post competitive scores. There's been a lot of talk about Lever at this pick, but why would we risk such a high pick on a defender coming off an ACL when our defence is the strongest part of our team and we've just strengthened it further with the addition of Lumumba and Frost? A defender with a late pick - fine, but not with pick 3.

Pick 40: Miller
If we still had pick 23 I'd be hoping someone like Lamb, Blakely, De Gooey or Neal-Bullen might slip down, but I doubt any of them will slip to 40. Of those who might still be available Miller looks the best bet. A hard tackling, long kicking, nuggetty mid who likes a goal.

Pick 42: Stretch (F/S)
What a great result getting this wonderful outside mid for such a late pick.

Pick 53: Capiron
Really like the look of this strong marking defender. Seems poised and has good disposal. May not be as good Lever, but is a far better value defensive option given our needs.

Pick 81: Jetta
Rookie list upgrade

Rookie Draft pick 2: Butler
A strong tackling midfielder who would be great get if he isn't picked up in the National draft.

PS Draft pick2: Clint Jones
Seems to be the best available at this stage. With several teams still to delist further players this could change.

If Miller and the others I mentioned are not available by pick 40 I would take Capiron at 40 and Butler at 53.

These picks, along with our trade week gains, provide a good balance that meets our need.

KPD: Frost
Running HB: Lumumba
Tall marking defender: Capiron
Outside mid: Stretch
Inside mids: Miller, Butler
Inside/outside mid: Brayshaw
Tagger: Jones
Small forward: Garlett
KPF: McCartin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad