Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't miss with this draft - I've been reading up on the Big Footy phantoms and even the blokes going at 60 odd sound like a combination of Carey, Silvagni and Ablett.

Can't miss with this draft - I've been reading up on the Big Footy phantoms and even the blokes going at 60 odd sound like a combination of Carey, Silvagni and Ablett.
Cool, better of with pick 60 then. We have no luck with picks 1-5. We could trade 2 and 3 for Robinson, I guess. May as well get something for our lousy picks. ;)

I heard a rumour that Jesus was considering nominating himself, but was frightened by the competition.

Loved the was Lever runs out of the back line and he has great hands, if Roos thinks he can turn him into a tall midfielder then I'm all for it.

Lever seems a big risk. Already done his ACL. Missed the whole of 2014.Has barely played midfield at all. The comparison with Bontempelli is a stretch for mine, given Marcus had played through the midfield throughout both TAC Cup level and U-18 championship level.
Drafting solely on his key position abilities goes against the tactic roosy uses with drafting. He doesn't like taking KPP high in draft because they're so hard to read given they're usually so much bigger then the 18/17 year old opponent they're playing on. So when they take the step up, and play on physically superior players they don't perform at same level.
Simply put, the risk is too big for our pick 3 IMO.
If we're looking for a tall midfielder with a bit of x-factor, Jayden Laverde is the one. 189cm, proven midfielder, can play on the flanks at both ends, and kicks goals.

No risks, please. I know the modern prototype player is the 'tall midfielder', but the best player in the game (Ablett) is 182cm, Sam Mitchell is 179cm, Hodge 185cm... if the best two midfielders are Petracca and Brayshaw, and they're both available, pick em.

No risks, please. I know the modern prototype player is the 'tall midfielder', but the best player in the game (Ablett) is 182cm, Sam Mitchell is 179cm, Hodge 185cm... if the best two midfielders are Petracca and Brayshaw, and they're both available, pick em.

Petracca won't be available and it's pretty much guaranteed that we will select Brayshaw.

Trading away pick 23 made me keen on McCartin at #3 (with Brayshaw at #2), presuming Petracca goes at #1. I was hoping we would pick a KPF at #23. I still think we need a high quality partner for Hogan; and someone who's ours, not going after a player through trade of FA in the next two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ch...h-no1-draft-pick/story-fndv8ufg-1227093037607

Basically says the saints are taking Petracca which should be no surprise to anyone
Hopefully they get desperate for a Key Forward in years down the track and regret it for ever

Not that I don't rate Petracca, but how good would it feel to be on the positive side of a 'what if' moment; like the know examples of Pavlich v Fiora, Franklin v Tambling, Watts v Nic Nat, Cale Morton v everyone else after pick 4.

Toumpas v Wines, Trengove v Martin, Blease/Strauss V Shuey

ibo6OdpZBbBXEk.gif

Lever seems a big risk. Already done his ACL. Missed the whole of 2014.Has barely played midfield at all. The comparison with Bontempelli is a stretch for mine, given Marcus had played through the midfield throughout both TAC Cup level and U-18 championship level.
Drafting solely on his key position abilities goes against the tactic roosy uses with drafting. He doesn't like taking KPP high in draft because they're so hard to read given they're usually so much bigger then the 18/17 year old opponent they're playing on. So when they take the step up, and play on physically superior players they don't perform at same level.
Simply put, the risk is too big for our pick 3 IMO.
If we're looking for a tall midfielder with a bit of x-factor, Jayden Laverde is the one. 189cm, proven midfielder, can play on the flanks at both ends, and kicks goals.

Fair points, but in regard to what Roos said about drafting talls - from his mouth it was specifically being wary of taking 'tall forwards from the TAC Cup' due to rules not allowing double/triple teams etc.

As for Laverde, I agree - has a lot to like and has a good frame to build on.

being wary of taking 'tall forwards from the TAC Cup' due to rules not allowing double/triple teams etc.

Que? As a coach, you're not allowed to send a second bloke to a player if he's kicked 10 goals on your best defender?

Que? As a coach, you're not allowed to send a second bloke to a player if he's kicked 10 goals on your best defender?

From Roosy's mouth mate at a member function - so you'll have to ask him!

Any of those who want to read up on some of the draftees, here's Paige Cardona's latest Phantom Draft.

For those suffering from laziness here's who she's got us taking.

Pick 2: Melbourne – Angus Brayshaw

Position: Midfielder
Height: 187 cm, Weight: 87 kg, DOB: 09/01/1996
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 2-10
Plays like: Sam Mitchell

An inside midfielder with a knack for really setting the tone in a game, Angus Brayshaw is tough, courageous, aggressive and loves nothing more than driving his opponent into the turf with a big bone-crunching tackle. Rating among the very best in possessions, tackles, pressure acts and contested possessions by position, Brayshaw was one of the highest averaging meters-gained players during the National Championships, underlining his development on his outside game. He can move forward to kick goals, with 17 at TAC Cup level, and when he isn’t doing that, he’s setting them up or inspiring his teammates with acts of desperation. Whilst Brayshaw doesn’t possess line-breaking speed, he’s got enough acceleration over his first 10 meters to push off an opponent and create separation, before finding a target by hand or foot. Brayshaw’s leadership is well renowned, and it’s likely to see him included in a leadership group within his first four years at an AFL club.

Player update: Brayshaw suffered a nasty ankle injury in the semi-final against North Ballarat, which meant that he didn’t test at the National Draft combine.

Pick 3: Melbourne – Patrick McCartin

Position: Key forward
Height: 193 cm, Weight: 95 kg, DOB: 19/04/1996
Club: Geelong Falcons
Projected draft range: 1-5
Plays like: Jonathan Brown

A player of Patrick McCartin’s standing is unlikely to slip past Melbourne’s compensation pick here at pick three, and there are plenty reasons why. Touted as the number one pick for the majority of the year, McCartin could be the perfect partner in crime alongside Jesse Hogan, laying the foundations for the Demons’ forward line for the next decade. McCartin is a genuine, old-fashioned full forward. He busts through packs, takes big contested grabs, inspires with his courage and is always the source of headaches for the opposition. He likes to treat opposition players as if he were going ten pin bowling: he has no regard for his own safety, and his aggression and physicality goes unmatched. McCartin relishes body-on-body contact, and is near unbeatable nor moveable one-on-one. He loves to drag his opponent to the goal square where he puts his contested marking ability to full use, but his quick turn of foot and smart leading patterns means that he is a focal target up forward, capable of taking any opposition’s best defender. Hampered by small injuries throughout the year, McCartin hasn’t gotten the love or hype he deserves, which is great news for Melbourne fans.

Player update: Still nursing a few niggles, McCartin didn’t test at the National Draft combine but will be ready to attack the start of pre-season.

Pick 40: Melbourne – Jordan Cunico

Position: Defender/midfielder
Height 184 cm, Weight: 72 kg, DOB: 07/05/1996
Club: Gippsland Power
Projected draft range: 20-40
Plays like: Paul Seedsman

Dubbed ‘the running man’ by TAC Cup Radio, Jordan Cunico is – as the name suggests – a running machine. Despite his light frame, he loves nothing more than getting on his bike for a three bounce escapade on a wing before sending a long, raking kick forward inside 50. His pace offers run and drive and is his standout feature, whilst his decision making and sense of time and space really allow him to play his natural game. Cunico is a good marker, but due to his size can be out-muscled and sometimes knocked off the ball: however, he more than cracks in to lay strong tackles with his relentless pressure. He kicks goals, has shown scope to play off half back and looks like a next-level winger who could really link up with Billy Stretch as Melbourne’s newest and damaging wingman.

Pick 42: Melbourne – Billy Stretch (father/son)

Position: Midfielder/forward
Height: 182 cm, Weight: 71 kg, DOB: 8/09/1996
Club: Glenelg
Projected draft range: Third round father/son
Plays like: Luke Breust

A running machine with pace to burn, there’s something romantic about the way Billy Stretch plays his football. The dashing wingman’s development has been absolutely profound, and with leg speed and a cheeky sidestep that’ll fool the best of midfielders, Stretch is a run and carry type with a knack of pumping the ball inside 50. In particular, he’s looked upon by his teammates to deliver lace-out passes inside 50 to leading forwards, which is his real calling card. Averaging 17.6 disposals at an efficiency of 76.6 per cent over the course of the Championships (including 3.6 marks and three inside 50s), Stretch is flashy but is also a real workhorse who possesses an elite kick, strong hands overhead and innate goal sense. Melbourne fans can get used to seeing champagne football from Stretch off a wing for many years to come.

Pick 53: Melbourne – Jason Castagna

Position: Defender/midfielder
Height: 182 cm, Weight: 86 kg, DOB: 12/06/1996
Club: Northern Knights
Projected Draft Range: 50-rookie
Plays like: Dylan Grimes

A speedy midfielder-cum-defender who rarely drops a mark, Jason Castagna’s draft stocks continue to rise and could potentially go much higher than where I have initially placed him here. A switch to defence under David Flood at Vic Metro prove to be the tonic Castagna was after. It’s a position which has allowed him to use his run and carry off half back, while also highlighting his ability to read the play, his terrific marking capabilities and his desire to continuously break lines. Castagna operates at an impressive 73 per cent disposal efficiency, accentuating how damaging he can be by hand or foot. He makes good decisions when in possession, and beats his man in one-on-one duels regularly given his strength and size.

Seems plausible, get a partner to go with Hogan in McCartin and then load up on midfielders and hard running players.

I'd be inclined to say that Lever is a safer selection than McCartin and Wright. Perhaps not as much of a freakish talent or freakish athlete at some incredible size but a very productive footballer, top quality character and leader. Given the youth of that Melbourne team and the back half needs he is someone I imagine Melbourne strongly consider.
Knightmare agrees with me on Lever being a safer bet than McCartin/Wright. Was sold on McCartin a couple of weeks ago, but having watched some 2013 Champs footage I'm getting worried that we won't take Lever.

Looking at our list, I doubt we'll 53 will be a live pick on the day. My hope is we get Petracca and Brayshaw 2&3 then have Keitel still available at 40.

Then again. Talls late in the draft are usually hit-in-hope types. McCartin>Lever>Wright>Durdin is my preference if we take a tall at 3. Then a Half back/Midfielder with 40.

I have no doubt Roos will take Lever provided Petracca is taken by the Saints. He is a big fan of tall big bodied midfielders which no doubt he will develop him into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back