Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are massive commodities. We Definitely need that type of player. Just need to be sure that Lever can perform and develop.
At the very least I reckon he'll be an excellent rebounding defender. Well built and a good strong mark on an opposition lead. Think Birchall. Good kick too I think.

Brayshaw at 2, locked-in you'd think. Pretty happy about that.

I wanted us to trade pick 3, but now that we've kept it, I hope we spend it on another big-bodied midfielder. Petracca, obviously if he's there. But in the likely event of him going at 1, who is the next in line?

None of this "X-factor" "high-ceiling" "skillful" "draft camp records" bulldust, I hope we pick a footballer's footballer.

This from Emma Quayle (The Age)

Jake Lever (Calder Cannons)
Born 5.3.1996, 193cm, 84kg
AFL biography: Competitive and aggressive tall defender who can shut down opponents while also providing good rebound. Missed entire 2014 after suffering ACL injury but on the way to a full recovery. His leadership is excellent as is his work rate and feel for the game.

Ian Kyte, Calder Cannons: "Jake had his knee reconstructed in December. He's back in training now and he'll be ready to go when he gets to a club. Had he played this year he would possibly have been the No. 1 selection. He's a tall, aggressive, competitive key defender who's a really good leader. He might have even spent some time in the midfield this year had he been able to play. His leadership qualities have improved this year even though he hasn't been able to play and he hasn't missed a beat with his recovery. He does everything right, to the point we had to force him to take a break at times."

I wanted us to trade pick 3, but now that we've kept it, I hope we spend it on another big-bodied midfielder. Petracca, obviously if he's there. But in the likely event of him going at 1, who is the next in line?

None of this "X-factor" "high-ceiling" "skillful" "draft camp records" bulldust, I hope we pick a footballer's footballer.

What about a footballer's footballer's footballer?

It'll be Lever. Big bodied and will come on instantly. Isn't a reach at #3 at all either.

Hello sailor.
319655-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
067437-1a444d24-f9c9-11e3-b36f-c8c3e15d9031.jpg

He's not Petracca sized, but for a 17 year old of his height he's well built and has a solid frame. Will go well after a preseason in the gym. Looks exactly like Bontempelli at the same age.

It'll be Lever. Big bodied and will come on instantly. Isn't a reach at #3 at all either.
Lever? Isn't he that skinny tall defender that hasn't played much this year? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Sorry, not up-to-date with all the YouTube videos yet, as I didn't think we'd be big players in this draft. Give me a week and I'll be an expert on all these guys. :D

Lever? Isn't he that skinny tall defender that hasn't played much this year? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Sorry, not up-to-date with all the YouTube videos yet, as I didn't think we'd be big players in this draft. Give me a week and I'll be an expert on all these guys. :D

I don't think he's skinny. Certainly in action he looks powerful enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

319655-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
067437-1a444d24-f9c9-11e3-b36f-c8c3e15d9031.jpg

He's not Petracca sized, but for a 17 year old of his height he's well built and has a solid frame. Will go well after a preseason in the gym. Looks exactly like Bontempelli at the same age.

Looks a fair old unit who'll bulk up well. If we do pick him up, which of his back, foot, heart or loyalty is the most likely to fail?

Well - there are three talls we might have a look at.

McCartin - 194cm/94kg traditional full forward, uses his body really well and a great reader of the ball - good one on one but set shot is hit and miss (but improving rapidly).

Wright - a FF/CHF/2nd Ruck, 203cm/100kg key forward with great kicking skills (can nail set shots from 55-60 and is as good a field kick as you'll get above 200cm), less consistent in contests, has relied on his size and doesn't really use his strength yet - but if he's on he can really dominate.

Durdin - 197cm/87kg CHB/CHF, better backman, reads the play really well, great footskills and a really good mark (great reach and takes it at the highest point).

Lever - 194cm/84kg CHB, strong defender with a good rep for being a strong leader too, good skills and reads the play - coming back from an ACL injury but last year when I watched him he seemed the best defender around and he was a 17 year old, averaged around 20 touches a game as a 17 year old CHB in the TAC CUP - in the bests 10 out of 16 games.

After those guys... there's not a lot in terms of guaranteed midfielders, lots of flankers and high upside guys though.

If Petracca doesn't slide we'll definitely go one of these talls, the mids are riskier and all these talls look like great players.

I'm liking the sound of Lever too if he has a bit of versatility otherwise Wright sounds like he would fit right in at the Dees. We need a decent forward to help Hogan and we also need a decent second ruck. Our ruck stocks are all the same and too one dimensional which means playing two of them is always a big call. Wright fixes this although may need some time to fill out for the rigours of the role.

Having said that, if they scrap the sub rule and go back to four on the bench that could alleviate some what.

Lever is a much safer bet than McCartin or Wright IMO, and God knows that we need to take the surest things possible. Petracca, Brayshaw, Lever, McCartin, Durdin, Weller, Wright in order of preference for mine.

Lever is a much safer bet than McCartin or Wright IMO, and God knows that we need to take the surest things possible. Petracca, Brayshaw, Lever, McCartin, Durdin, Weller, Wright in order of preference for mine.
Lever is coming off an ACL and hasn't played since December. When he last played he was an undersized KPD.

I really can't think of a less safe bet.

Lever is coming off an ACL and hasn't played since December. When he last played he was an undersized KPD.

I really can't think of a less safe bet.
O'Meara, Crouch, Hogan and Martin were all taken based off of their junior seasons, and have mostly turned out okay. Like them Lever was (apparently) rated as a top prospect at 17. ACL fear is legitimate but from what I've read it sounds like he's now 100% and tested well enough at the combine. If we take him it'll be having done our due diligence, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back