List Mgmt. 2014 list discussion - drafts, free agents, trades, retirees, delistings and more

Remove this Banner Ad

rooie I don't think you'd really wanna see a Scooby Doo villain called "Manboob".
image.jpg

Do you?

I don't want Shaw because a) he'll be expensive, b) we need mids, not defenders and c) I'll be pissed if we delist Chappy and Pods to recruit a 28 year old.

But I'll stick up for him despite others bagging him... I see almost every Pies game because he partner supports them. Heath is an absolute gun footballer. His on field discipline was worse this season than it had been in the past but his good far outweighs his bad.

In many ways he reminds me of Moons: passionate, wears his heart on his sleeve and hates losing. Yes, he's prone to the odd brain fade like Moons was, but he'll be an asset to whatever team he ends up at.

And if that's Geelong, you'll all be agreeing with me by the time he plays in his first win and embraces Enright, Harry and co like he's won the GF.

Inferno just raised a great point - If:

Rivers - Lonergan - Mackie
Shaw - Taylor - Enright
Was to be our backline next season with Guthrie in the midfield as a tagger, the youngest defender would be 27.

If Heath Shaw comes to the Cats, he'll play in the midfield. Very lacking for young talent in the backline, and need to get games into kids now.

Heath Shaw is a class player, if he does end up at Geelong and is injury free I don't think it would be disastrous. I am against it because I want to lower the age of the list but I am surprised how strong the anti-Shaw sentiment is. His onfield antics are a bit much but remember he is playing with O'Brien and Maxwell so maybe he has a point some of the time....

I think a lot of it is to do with guys like Chapman going and people perceive them going to make room for Shaw which makes them angry.

If it was merely Shaw coming in isolation, don't think there'd be so much backlash.

I agree with you. He's a good player, and let's be honest a lot of the on field stuff is due to ADD, and as someone who suffered pretty badly from that as a teenager (yet is a pretty normal adult now) I have a lot of sympathy for that.

Personally I don't want to get him in (unless it is very cheap, which I am skeptical about) because I don't think he fills an obvious need and is a tad old for us to be chasing, but I don't understand the level of vitriol towards him.

Guthrie is way too good at what he does to be wasted as a tagger.

I know we need a tagger, but find another solution (primarily getting THunt back to where he was pre shoulder).

A year as a tagger would be a great education for Guthrie.
Would surely learn a thing or two sitting in the pocket of Ablett, Swan, Mitchell, Jack, Danger.....
Get Shaw in and release Guthrie for the run with role.
As for the 'No DH's' policy, I trust our club/ leaders to sort any of that rubbish out.
Shaw hasn't been pulled into line before now because Colingwood is full of DH's, it's been par for the course. That's why they are struggling to come to terms with changing their culture.

Get Shaw in.
Whatever it takes get Adams in.
Guthrie into the middle as a tagger.
Caddy into Chappys mid/fwd role.
Get one of HMac or Simpson on the park
Spend all summer teaching Blitz how to handle a fwd resting Ruck (would love to see him bolting off down the wing being chased by a giant).
Bartel into a deepish fwd, Gunston type role.

My Dream Team 2014

Enright Lonergan Shaw
Mackie Taylor Thurlow
Johnson Adams Motlop
Caddy Vardy Murdoch
Bartel Hawkins Stokes

Simpson Selwood Guthrie

Int Kelly Chistenson Duncan Blitz

Emerg Kersten HMac Smedts Rivers

The rest . . . . Trade 'em (except Menz, Hamling, Bews and Walker) for draft picks then load up with mids that will come through together.

Is it possible getting Shaw and Adams without using our first pick?

Shaw is not worth a 1 IMO, and GWS dont want more picks so players would make it work.. but who and how many is the key..

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want Shaw because a) he'll be expensive, b) we need mids, not defenders and c) I'll be pissed if we delist Chappy and Pods to recruit a 28 year old.

But I'll stick up for him despite others bagging him... I see almost every Pies game because he partner supports them. Heath is an absolute gun footballer. His on field discipline was worse this season than it had been in the past but his good far outweighs his bad.

In many ways he reminds me of Moons: passionate, wears his heart on his sleeve and hates losing. Yes, he's prone to the odd brain fade like Moons was, but he'll be an asset to whatever team he ends up at.

And if that's Geelong, you'll all be agreeing with me by the time he plays in his first win and embraces Enright, Harry and co like he's won the GF.

I agree!:) Would free up Guthrie or at least present options, doesn't necessarily have to play in defense either, just can't see it though.

For mine: Caddy to the pocket, Vardy to CHF, Adams in the centre.

GHS on the bench for Varcoe, McIntosh to the ruck and Simpson in for Blicavs.

If Caddy completes a full preseason he should play pure midfield next year. And I don't think they will play HMac and Simpson at the same time. They will probably persist with Blicavs as number 2.

see Max Bailey has retired... poor bastards knees are shot after 3 recos.. granted he is 206cms but it really just reinforces the point to me that anything we get from Menzel from here out really needs to be considered a bonus

Its an interesting approach. I wonder though if that would impede FA , and who set the value of the comp
Franklin is worth P1 , is P20 from Syd adequate. What if Syd say no he is worth only R3 , just think that would struggle to get approved.

With Ablett it could have been structured that way but I have a feeling they would have been given the top30 picks to balance it
The way the comp is set up is to play unders relative to what they would get through a trade. So the teams who recruit players through Free Agency would still win out of the deal, just not by as much as they do now. The AFL would determine which pick to take. In this case Sydneys pick 1 which is around pick 13. Sydney would be stupid not to take that deal for Franklin as he worth a top 3 pick. Hawthorn would slightly better off under the current system as they would get pick 13 instead of pick 18. All other clubs would be better off because they would be 2 picks higher in the draft as the same appraoch would apply to Thomas as well. I.e. Carlton would give up their pick 10 for Thomas which also seems pretty fair.

see Max Bailey has retired... poor bastards knees are shot after 3 recos.. granted he is 206cms but it really just reinforces the point to me that anything we get from Menzel from here out really needs to be considered a bonus

You have a point but I am no doctor but what I believe they have done with Menzel may give him a better chance of a longer career. If you remember he had an operation prior to his reco to put bone back into his knee that had been taken out from his previous recos. I believe this enables his knee to be stronger as there is no bone missing from other reconstructions. Therefore when the reco was done his knee was in better condition.

Peeps be negative on the H.Shaw option because he doesn't fix our sloppy midfield.....think about it doe
He would free up Guthrie to a perma mid. Plus cover the HBF for next 3-4 years as we bleed out 30+ year olds and develop the likes of Thurlow and Bews in the backline.

Bugger Rhys Shaw, Nick Smith from Swans the may be on the market.
It is possible the Sydney Swans could be offloading more players than originally thought, with a new trade whisper emerging that the club is attempting to reposition itself in this year's draft and land a pick inside the top five.

The word is that the Swans are considering doing a deal with a Melbourne-based club that has a high draft pick, possibly St Kilda or Melbourne - clubs with links to the Swans.

A deal involving a package of players, including at least two premiership heroes, is the suggestion. It is no secret that Nick Smith has strong roots in Melbourne and the pull home always lingers. Smith has been touted as a future captain of the Swans and he is certainly a backline general.

However, the Swans may be willing to cut their losses if the reward is high.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-07/trade-winds-monday
Would much rather Smith in the backline for the next 6-8 years than Shaw for 1-3 years

My Dream Team 2014

Enright Lonergan Shaw
Mackie Taylor Thurlow
Johnson Adams Motlop
Caddy Vardy Murdoch
Bartel Hawkins Stokes

Simpson Selwood Guthrie

Int Kelly Chistenson Duncan Blitz

Emerg Kersten HMac Smedts Rivers

Not a bad looking team. Adams not over the line just yet !

Not sure Thurlow will be up to a full season of AFL just yet but we will see. Maybe being in and out of the team and swapping with Rivers maybe the go here.

Where is Varcoe - traded or dropped ? We know he will get games if at the club - not sure whose place he would take in this team if at Catland however.

Shaw not at the club yet - so we need wait on that one. I am not a fan of Shaw coming but if he does he does add some run from defence that we might like.

Maybe Kersten and Murdoch swap around over the year so Murdoch does not tire and Kersten gets some AFL experience.

Guthrie as a tagger ? Maybe but I prefer him down back generally but the idea does have some merit. It is our midfield that needs the greatest attention.

I assume THunt has been traded ? Maybe in the Adams deal ? Maybe Varcoe departed in the Shaw deal ? If that is the case we keep our first and second round picks hopefully as Kelly, Enright and Lonergan look likely of retiring within the next 2 seasons.

We do not have a high draft pick - so unlikely we will get him.

Perhaps helps a 3 way deal ?

But anyway someone tell me about Smith please.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2014 list discussion - drafts, free agents, trades, retirees, delistings and more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back