Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane are going to be a very tired team late in next week's game.

It's setup perfectly for us. Couldn't really ask for a better situation.

And to think that all I was expecting was a final or two two for the kids to experience.

We can steal a flag this year.
I'm not being combative, but I disagree with us stealing a flag.

If we do win it, I think it shows a team/club with ideal experience, preparation, understanding and strategy to win in the context of a long football year.

It is the perfect time and place.

A popular cultural event like a footy final is one of the only times and places where you can actually get people’s attention. Good on that guy for using the platform.
But he said that aboriginal people had been performing the ceremony for more than 250,000 years, which is wrong by nearly 200,000 years. And no one knows when the ceremony was first performed.

Time and a place...

Agreed.

I have no problem with the 'Welcome' but it shouldn't be used as a sermon.

It's an event that can / should be used to unite people, not as a political platform.

You can see by the commentary that this particular 'Welcome' didn't make some people feel particularly welcome, and it has caused some resentment.

And for reference, I have first hand experience living and working with indigenous peoples in remote communities, so I walk both sides of the fence.

Anyhow, that's enough from me.

We're here to discuss footy.

But he said that aboriginal people had been performing the ceremony for more than 250,000 years, which is wrong by nearly 200,000 years. And no one knows when the ceremony was first performed.
That is the part that offended you?

I think you may have missed the point.

Agreed.

I have no problem with the 'Welcome' but it shouldn't be used as a sermon.

It's an event that can / should be used to unite people, not as a political platform.

You can see by the commentary that this particular 'Welcome' didn't make some people feel particularly welcome, and it has caused some resentment.

And for reference, I have first hand experience living and working with indigenous peoples in remote communities, so I walk both sides of the fence.

Anyhow, that's enough from me.

We're here to discuss footy.
There are so many things I would like to say about this post.

But as you say, we are here to discuss footy. And I am 100% certain that my views would not make some people feel welcome.

So I shall move on.

Very high scoring team if you slack off as GWS did. They were completely out on their feet like last week. Took a lot out of them.
Fingers crossed this took a bit out of Brisbane.

Weather Forecast for next Saturday says rain. That is good as Brisbane have a tall line-up and I personally prefer to face them if it's a slog.

Brisbanes defence is not good enough.
We just need to play it right and we will get it done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fagan explained, ‘that Brisbane are usually a high uncontested mark team, tonight we were unable to do that + tonight we had to play the chaos game + we showed we could play + it gave us a bit of confidence.’
‘Still have to play Geelong + they’re a pretty good side. Gave us a pretty good lesson in a PF a couple of years ago that drives them. Then I look at Dangerfield, doesn’t know how many years are left + he desperately wants to win won.
Similarly, our older guys lifted in that last quarter.
If that was their version of chaos game then I am not in the slightest concerned by it.

I'm not being combative, but I disagree with us stealing a flag.

If we do win it, I think it shows a team/club with ideal experience, preparation, understanding and strategy to win in the context of a long football year.
Yeah I wouldn't disagree, but we snuck into the top four by the skin of our teeth, and met a dejected Port Adelaide without their best defender and best midfielder. We had Stewart out, but historically we always play really well without him for some reason. Even Selwood on the commentary team noted that Port had a terrible night.

We're certainly a smart club and we run a tight ship. But you have to acknowledge when the cards have fallen your way a little. Lady luck is smiling on us so far. I'm all for it.

It exactly the right time.
A lot of people don’t understand why they do welcome to country and it’s sometimes the only platform to educate.

Now, the anthem on the other hand, that’s one of the worst I’ve heard
Yes.. for the welcome
But not the sermon!

They've been getting unnecessarily longer and political go back a year or two and check them out..

Anyway we've got a PF to worry about

Yeah I wouldn't disagree, but we snuck into the top four by the skin of our teeth, and met a dejected Port Adelaide without their best defender and best midfielder. We had Stewart out, but historically we always play really well without him for some reason. Even Selwood on the commentary team noted that Port had a terrible night.

We're certainly a smart club and we run a tight ship. But you have to acknowledge when the cards have fallen your way a little. Lady luck is smiling on us so far. I'm all for it.
I do see what you mean, but I have the philosophy that you make your own luck. Like how we have managed injuries/players well to get us to this point.

Also, we have moved enough players around during the year while keeping players underperforming/learning and it's paying off too.

I think the luck comes from the decisions you make.

2024 is the classic example of why turning up every year and putting yourself in the mix is the way to go.

clubs like Geelong and Sydney are always trying to compete and they give themselves the opportunity to be in the right place at the right time if things fall their way.

The clubs that go the full tank and rebuild just give themselves less chances to be in the right place at the right time.

Brisbanes defence is not good enough.
We just need to play it right and we will get it done.
They have a good defence , but their game style is an issue I think. They’re Geelong 2019/2020 control team that chips it around to take uncontested possessions. They were too slow against the giants , but made a great comeback when they took the game on when they had nothing to lose. Once they kicked a few goals they started to ramp up their pressure . Geelong is chaos now as Scott has learned from the Dimma beatings that control doesn’t get it done mostly in finals. Fagan has gone with control.
Big week for the coaches.

As much as I love the drought breaking 2007 its the one I return to the least. Man there was some amazing transition football that has rarely been replicated but it was just too one sided. 2022 was one sided but it just had so many stories from Stengle, Selwood, Danger, Jezza, SDK, Parfit. Will always be my fave I think.

The funny thing is, I know I watched the 07 gf and I remember getting a text from my brother in the 3rd quarter saying how much dad would have loved that day (our dad was a mad Cats fan & the reason I'm a crazy one also but he died in 93) - but I can't really recall much of the match outside of the odd highlights that get replayed

I've been to both 11 & 22, and while I was definitely more emotional after the win in 11 there's just something special about 22 and the memories of that fill me with joy more than the others - I loved watching Scott during the presentation, he was presented with his medal and when he walked to the back of the stage to stand by Joel he just started jumping up & down, this totally joyous response but it's nothing something I've really seen on replays as the cameras were more focused on the mic

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back