2014 Mature Aged Players

Remove this Banner Ad

i'd rookie Dan Connors. One year contract, he stuffs up he's out on his arse, no harm no foul. I don't think i've seen him play better than he is for Port currently

I was looking at his (AFL) stats the other day when i mentioned him on our board, his 2010 was phenomenal. 23 possessions per game, a couple of tackles a game, 6.6 marks. Even managed a dominant 3 brownlow vote game.

I was looking at his (AFL) stats the other day when i mentioned him on our board, his 2010 was phenomenal. 23 possessions per game, a couple of tackles a game, 6.6 marks. Even managed a dominant 3 brownlow vote game.

He can play! Maybe one of those guys who was to young and dumb to be in the spot light. Has turned it all around. He is an awesome guy and every player at any club would love him. I'd love to give him a go at Essendon. With our lack of draft picks would be a really good player to have in the 2's and would push into the 1's

Im going to take a closer look at a player I think is one of the best chances in the VFL to grab a chance at the top level.

Today's VFL profile is former Northern Blues and now Williamstown Seagull Adam Marcon.

The 180cm/80kg inside midfielder, Marcon was always a promising player. Winning his under 18 TAC club B&F award ahead of more fancied names in Matthew Kruezer, Josh Caddy and Jack Newnes.

From here, Marcon's trajectory has only gone upwards, going from strength to strength in the past 3 years. From skinny utility used sparingly where needed to integral inside midfielder. Marcon's breakout 2012 was capped with the Northern Blues B&F award, finishing a solitary vote ahead of another young gun Kane Lambert to top what was a career defining season. A year that saw him earn his first 'Big V' selection and winning the coaches award at the JJ Liston Trophy night.

After a wretched run of injuries in 2013, Marcon's move to Williamstown has become somewhat of a godsend. Going from promising midfielder to elite VFL player (and possibly beyond). A smooth mover in the contest, Marcon's strengths are his ability to release by hand in heavy traffic, making quick decisions both by hand or foot and whilst not being the sternest kick, his ability to hit a target cannot be underestimated.

He works hard both ways which is reflected in his stats. Averaging 9 handball receives and a whopping 5.5 tackles a game to underline his strengths both offensively and defensively.

In what could be the most defying thing for me was his ability to stand up in this years Victorian state game (v South Australia). Collecting 33 (largely contested) possessions, kicking a goal and setting up countless attacks, MArcon I feel has many attributes that could take this 22 y.o to the next level.

In todays instalment of VFL Profiles, I'm going to take a look at young guy on the North Ballarat Roosters list named Nicholas Rippon.

Nic Rippon, a 177cm/81kg, 20 year old North Ballarat Rebels graduate was a marginal chance to be taken in his draft year of 2012. Upon missing selection in both the national and rookie drafts after winning his clubs B&F he decided to go down the VFL path and "continue to play good footy".

Despite being overlooked, Rippon went to the Roosters and began the year as the 23rd man (which allows you to play 3 games essentially as a +1 to the senior listed guys). Dropped after his expiry of games, Rippon was soon back up in the top class and making ripples in a big way.

Winning possessions at ease, Rippon soon forged a reputation as a no - frills inside midfielder who was classy enough to damage you on the outside if you missed him. Strong overhead, he was also prone to pushing forward and impacting the scoreboard for the Roosters.

Averaging elite numbers (26 possessions a game), Rippon is quite capable playing a variety of roles. Starting his junior career with the Rebels in a back pocket, the nuggety small worked on his tank and has now become a prime mover for the Roosters after being named 9 times in the bests (in 12 games might I add) with 2 BOG's.

If you need an inside midfielder or even a small defender which he could play at AFL level, here is another to take a strong firm look at. He is a classical inside midfielder, but has the class and the attributes to forge out a career who I liken to Adelaide small Luke Brown.

Here is a profile I did on my favourite Essendon VFL listed player Dan Coghlan. Since I've done one, might as well throw it up now for all to see.

He is my favourite VFL listed player (was a big Tagliabue advocate but have well and truly favoured Dan Coghlan this year).

186cm, 88kg, 08.01.1991, Midfielder

Was listed with us last year and played some occasional games last year (dividing his time with us and South Croydon - 10 games, 8 goals, 6 times in the bests).

A powerfully built inside midfielder, Coghlan's main strengths are his willingness and strength around the ball. A big bodied mid who (must) run a high beep test such is his work rate to continually get to contest after contest.

A terrific young cricketer, Dan put aside any footballing ambitions in his junior development days when he was selected to play high grade district cricket as a promising spin bowler even winning the 2nd XI league medal in 2011.

Coghlan has been a warrior and a real staple for us this year. His kicking was a bit of a let down last year, but credit where it is due, he has worked on it and has become a definite strength (although not suggesting one bit that he is a Hibbo or Fletcher type missile).

He is a smart enough player who inside the stoppage will look to dish off, but have seen him play a much more 'second possession' type game in recent weeks (pre Coburg anyways) with slick handballs and kicks to a much better positioned team mate.

One other feature I have been mighty impressed with is his ability to push forward. A renowned goal kicker at local level (did some background and he averages close to a goal a game there), Coghlan was just a flanker with the occasional stint in the middle last year but has come back fitter, better and now starts almost exclusively in the centre ahead of more fancied team mates like Trav, Leroy and even Kurt Aylett in the last couple of times Ive seen). Pushing forward hasn't been a problem and as such was able to be the difference in a 4 - goal haul and BOG display against the northern Blues.

Still, when it is his time to go, he will. He will often come off the ground covered in mud, and whilst he doesn't appear the most affluent looking footballer, he is actually a quite effective player. I feel he has more weapons and a better all round game to that of the great ZOB that was eventually recruited to Brisbane.

Pity 'Cogs' is 23, 2 years younger and you could almost lock him in such has his impact been this year. I would almost go as far to say that he is close to leading our B&F who might I add has seen Duscher return to somewhere near his best. Whilst I was disappointed he wasn't acknowledged with an original state game squad selection.

As far as player comparisons go, I had thought long and hard and could apply (Sydney's) Josh Kennedy in style, minus the freakingly good overhead ability. The slick hands, the quick kicks, the big body.

In todays instalment of VFL Profiles, I'm going to take a look at young guy on the North Ballarat Roosters list named Nicholas Rippon.

Nic Rippon, a 177cm/81kg, 20 year old North Ballarat Rebels graduate was a marginal chance to be taken in his draft year of 2012. Upon missing selection in both the national and rookie drafts after winning his clubs B&F he decided to go down the VFL path and "continue to play good footy".

Despite being overlooked, Rippon went to the Roosters and began the year as the 23rd man (which allows you to play 3 games essentially as a +1 to the senior listed guys). Dropped after his expiry of games, Rippon was soon back up in the top class and making ripples in a big way.

Winning possessions at ease, Rippon soon forged a reputation as a no - frills inside midfielder who was classy enough to damage you on the outside if you missed him. Strong overhead, he was also prone to pushing forward and impacting the scoreboard for the Roosters.

Averaging elite numbers (26 possessions a game), Rippon is quite capable playing a variety of roles. Starting his junior career with the Rebels in a back pocket, the nuggety small worked on his tank and has now become a prime mover for the Roosters after being named 9 times in the bests (in 12 games might I add) with 2 BOG's.

If you need an inside midfielder or even a small defender which he could play at AFL level, here is another to take a strong firm look at. He is a classical inside midfielder, but has the class and the attributes to forge out a career who I liken to Adelaide small Luke Brown.
Rippon certainly deserves to be picked up, he is a very good player. Was absolutely shocked he didn't get picked up in his draft year after seeing some of his TAC cup footy and most of his school footy.

Only reason I can see him not getting picked up is he is just a good all round player. Besides maybe his tackling, he doesn't have a stand out attribute. Defiantly deserves a crack at AFL though.

Rippon certainly deserves to be picked up, he is a very good player. Was absolutely shocked he didn't get picked up in his draft year after seeing some of his TAC cup footy and most of his school footy.

Only reason I can see him not getting picked up is he is just a good all round player. Besides maybe his tackling, he doesn't have a stand out attribute. Defiantly deserves a crack at AFL though.

he can have hit and miss days with his kicking too. I've watched nth ballast games where he has looked silky, then other days where he butchers it.

He really has shined this year without clifton and sewell around though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't remember so many young former AFL listed players making a significant impact in the various state leagues.

Brett Eddy (former Collingwood), Haiden Schloithe (former Docker) are the two most significant ones but a raft of others seem to be making contributions every now and then. The SANFL seems the most former AFL listed populated of the major leagues

Couldn't remember so many young former AFL listed players making a significant impact in the various state leagues.

Brett Eddy (former Collingwood), Haiden Schloithe (former Docker) are the two most significant ones but a raft of others seem to be making contributions every now and then. The SANFL seems the most former AFL listed populated of the major leagues
Eddy was never on our AFL list, he was a VFL listed player who did his ACL he took a while to get back after that so he got cut

Just on the Port board most of us are keen to bring Nathan Krakouer back who is playing for the Port Magpies and tearing it apart.

Someone might know but was wondering if we can sign him as a delisted FA.

I don't have a source but I read the Crows might be interested too.

Just on the Port board most of us are keen to bring Nathan Krakouer back who is playing for the Port Magpies and tearing it apart.

Someone might know but was wondering if we can sign him as a delisted FA.

I don't have a source but I read the Crows might be interested too.
Seeing as he was delisted 3 years ago, I wouldn't think so. Will have to nominate for any of the drafts.

Im a bit more bullish than Knightmare on some VFL players this year.

Former Demon Josh Tynan (Frankston Dolphins) has gone on a bit of a blitzkrieg in the past 2 months, averaging 25 touches in that time to really become one of the VFL's best young guns.

Nic Rippon (North Ballarat Roosters) continues to keep on keeping him and is fast forging a reputation as a ball magnet.

Ive always been a fan of Matt Farrelly (Bendigo Gold) and would be such a shame to see him lost back to local footy after being identified by Essendon as a potential AFL player by opponent Jason Winderlich in one of his first outings.

Young gun Adam Saad (Coburg) has played some reasonable footy this year also.

Might do some more write ups for Tynan soon enough after seeing him the other week in a dominant display against the VFL Bombers.

I see Michael Hartley is a chance to be drafted this season, pretty sure i seen his name mentioned at the draft combine.

Jake Williams (Collingwood) & Rippon (North Ballarat) are my two VFL standouts.

Speaking of VFL standouts, my boy Adam Marcon (Williamstown) and Dan Coghlan (Essendon VFL) have both been invited to the AFL state combine to be held in early october.

The full list of VFL nominations are

VFL
Daniel Coghlan Essendon VFL
Michael Hartley Coburg
Jack Johnstone Williamstown
Adam Marcon Williamstown
Nick Newman Frankston
Jake Owen Williamstown
Adam Saad Coburg
Sam Tagliabue Essendon VFL
Shannon Taylor Frankston

Full list of the other state nominations can be found here