2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

How big an influence do you think the NEAFL players will have on the QAFL? You'd think there will be around 3-4 players available to each QAFL squad weekly through the list of 35 and rookie list. Will the QAFL teams that embrace it have a significant advantage over the teams that don't or vise versa? From the sounds of the lists Southport, Aspley and Redland are putting together the players that don't get a game will still be high quality.

How big an influence do you think the NEAFL players will have on the QAFL? You'd think there will be around 3-4 players available to each QAFL squad weekly through the list of 35 and rookie list. Will the QAFL teams that embrace it have a significant advantage over the teams that don't or vise versa? From the sounds of the lists Southport, Aspley and Redland are putting together the players that don't get a game will still be high quality.

Agree.
And if the players that miss selection go back to their original club, that means some 80% of these will return and play for Broadbeach, Labrador and Morningside..... If this is the case, it doesn't give the likes of the Magpies, Palm Beach etc etc, much hope of success.

Agree.
And if the players that miss selection go back to their original club, that means some 80% of these will return and play for Broadbeach, Labrador and Morningside..... If this is the case, it doesn't give the likes of the Magpies, Palm Beach etc etc, much hope of success.

Not sure what other clubs would have to be upset about? That players from ex-NEAFL teams are playing for their original club?

Thats true Ruffles - and was always the agreement too from my understanding - where some QAFL teams will be hoping is that the odd player from down south or a player from a non QAFL side is allocated to them. I think i'm correct in saying that Jed Turner from maroochy has made Aspley's list of 35 - if he doesn't get a game then he won't be playing at Maroochy, more like Sandgate or Grange I would think. Anyway, in due course it will even itself out. The QAFL will be a reasonably lop sided comp initially but think it will be a good one still with 6-7 sides being very competitive.

Thats true Ruffles - and was always the agreement too from my understanding - where some QAFL teams will be hoping is that the odd player from down south or a player from a non QAFL side is allocated to them. I think i'm correct in saying that Jed Turner from maroochy has made Aspley's list of 35 - if he doesn't get a game then he won't be playing at Maroochy, more like Sandgate or Grange I would think. Anyway, in due course it will even itself out. The QAFL will be a reasonably lop sided comp initially but think it will be a good one still with 6-7 sides being very competitive.
the player gets to nominate his original club e.g Ryan Holman COULD nominate Magpies or Morningside as his original footy was at the Magpies

Interesting reading the article on the QAFL website regarding 'why the new comp'. 3 of the 4 players mentioned of being drafted in recent times are from demoted neafl clubs. Would those players , Zorko aside, have got the same opportunity to shine in this new neafl? I seriously wonder.

Any indication when the preseason games begin? Will be interesting to see an early look at how each team fares against each other.

so how are all the club shaping up at this stage??
Interested to see if UQ sign any other players. So far no big names that have played any high level football, hopefully they're keeping any news up their sleeves. At this stage I could very well see 100+ drubbings each other week.

Haven't heard too much from other clubs, think everyone is waiting to see who makes NEAFL or not. Western Magpies possibly getting Kenrick Tyrell? Have seen Labrador have updated their player page, a few handy players sticking around. I expect Morningside and Broadbeach to play out at the end of the year. Palm Beach could be a force with Creswell at the helm. Word is a few players have left Grange? Any signing news from any clubs?

Heard that both Sandgate and Uni might struggle to be competitive this season. Think the QAFL might have regretted their decision.

Heard that both Sandgate and Uni might struggle to be competitive this season. Think the QAFL might have regretted their decision.

Anything in particular you're basing this on? We're more than happy with the underdog tag as it gives us added incentive to prove any doubters wrong.

From what I understand ALFQ are looking to build a sustainable top flight community league and that process will take time. Having said that, we were able to get a couple of upsets last season and scare a couple of the top sides, and I have no doubt that we'll be similarly competitive in the new QAFL. Believe what you want though as it's all speculation until the season gets underway.

Sandgate have not gone on a buying spree-that's for sure. But they've picked up a few locals/ex-juniors and have a first rate coach who is good at developing young players. They'll be very fit and very competitive and may get an early jump on some other sides that have a lot of new faces to blend into a team.

Sandgate have not gone on a buying spree-that's for sure. But they've picked up a few locals/ex-juniors and have a first rate coach who is good at developing young players. They'll be very fit and very competitive and may get an early jump on some other sides that have a lot of new faces to blend into a team.

Looks like the Panthers will be the first victims to feel the wrath of the Sea Hawks come March.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to give it to UQ. Their website is one of the best going around in terms of constant content. I still believe they'll be at the bottom of the pack this year but with the look of those resources, the advantage of being linked with a organisation like UQ where they'll always have sponsors and a large group to select from, I can see them being a major force once they catch up and the ex-NEAFL clubs dwindle down in a few years time (assuming this league format stays).

Uq facilities look first class and should benefit them long term. Looking forward to this years competition which should be exciting and will no doubt through up some surprises. We need the standard of the comp to continue to improve so hopefully the ex NEAFL sides will not come back to the field and that the other sides step up this year and the years to come.

G'day all, I have just scrolled thru the pages here, some fantastic chat. My thoughts for the comp are panthers, lab then absolute daylight, purely based on who lab have picked up, more so from southport than anything down south, and the panthers player numbers, recruits and training load since November.Exceptional.

On Neafl players/rookies back to QAFL goes like this. All unselected rookies go suns/lions reserves ( if required ) then QAFL clubs. List of 35 go original club or mini draft. You would think the draft pick order will favour current QAFL clubs not relegated Neafl clubs which is fair enough. Any relegated player must play seniors the first week dropped

G'day all, I have just scrolled thru the pages here, some fantastic chat. My thoughts for the comp are panthers, lab then absolute daylight, purely based on who lab have picked up, more so from southport than anything down south, and the panthers player numbers, recruits and training load since November.Exceptional.

On Neafl players/rookies back to QAFL goes like this. All unselected rookies go suns/lions reserves ( if required ) then QAFL clubs. List of 35 go original club or mini draft. You would think the draft pick order will favour current QAFL clubs not relegated Neafl clubs which is fair enough. Any relegated player must play seniors the first week dropped
Yes. Rule is NEAFL players must be selected for Qafl club 1st week only. Question can't be answered as yet is what happens if that same player is left out 3 weeks later for example. Are the NEAFL players eligible for Qafl finals if qualified?

Hey guys, is there anywhere that one could access clearances for clubs in 2014 in this comp.?? you can get this sort of info from nearly all other league and club websites, but seems to be non existent in the Neafl and QAFL divisions...

I reckon you have the daylight in the wrong spot. For mine, morningside then daylight. I reckon Broadbeach Labrador and Palm beach will be pretty even ( some great matches there). Then throw a blanket over the next 5 and uq to cop a few floggings at the rear.

I saw the neafl QAFL player interchange agreement and I don't understand it all.

Can somebody tell me - is there a maximum amount of neafl players a aflq club can have in a match?

I reckon you have the daylight in the wrong spot. For mine, morningside then daylight. I reckon Broadbeach Labrador and Palm beach will be pretty even ( some great matches there). Then throw a blanket over the next 5 and uq to cop a few floggings at the rear.

I saw the neafl QAFL player interchange agreement and I don't understand it all.

Can somebody tell me - is there a maximum amount of neafl players a aflq club can have in a match?
2010premier,
Morningside have lost a number of good players as well. I know they have great depth in the lower grades, but will the difference be daylight???

2010premier,
Morningside have lost a number of good players as well. I know they have great depth in the lower grades, but will the difference be daylight???

I'd say if it was going by lists alone then I'd put Morningside quite a bit above everyone else. I think the NEAFL draft will bring the Broadbeach's and Labrador's a bit closer to them though. For now I'd put Morningside as heavy favourites but you never know what will happen during the season and certainly not during the finals campaign. It only takes one bad performance in September to end a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back