Position 2014 SC Defenders

What structure are you going in with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not do the opposite and have Danger + 1 mid pricer in the forwards. Way more mid priced options and cheap rookies that might play Rd1 in the forwards.
After watching some of the games so far strongly considering.
Changed to Mcveigh, Mitchell, Swallow, Suckling , Mcdonald, Georgiou for the moment, with Buddy and Danger in fwds.

Last edited:
Why not do the opposite and have Danger + 1 mid pricer in the forwards. Way more mid priced options and cheap rookies that might play Rd1 in the forwards.
Haven't seen too many decent options yet, other than JKH.

Haven't seen too many decent options yet, other than JKH.

Light on as far as the cheaper end Fwd rooks go ATM, but hopefully another 1-2 put their hands up soon. There's few in the 170-250 price bracket that should be in their teams best 22 that could score ok if going cheap in the forwards instead of Def.

Light on as far as the cheaper end Fwd rooks go ATM, but hopefully another 1-2 put their hands up soon. There's few in the 170-250 price bracket that should be in their teams best 22 that could score ok if going cheap in the forwards instead of Def.
For me looking at Bock, Tunbridge, Rohan, Paine and Taylor.

hows the menz going for you Gingy

hows the menz going for you Gingy

Would like to see him push up the ground and get a few more easy possies before I go locking him in. He's really skilful when he does get the ball though. I think he's in Carlton's best 21 at this stage so JS should be fairly solid* but who knows. He might not fit into the forward structure some weeks. Bit like Kennedy at Collingwood, has the talent, but whether or not he's picked each week...

Would like to see him push up the ground and get a few more easy possies before I go locking him in. He's really skilful when he does get the ball though. I think he's in Carlton's best 21 at this stage so JS should be fairly solid* but who knows. He might not fit into the forward structure some weeks. Bit like Kennedy at Collingwood, has the talent, but whether or not he's picked each week...

and young DD is he in best 22, looked handy and wanted to take the game on

For me looking at Bock, Tunbridge, Rohan, Paine and Taylor.
Taylor's injured, Rohan I don't think will score well, and I don't think Paine will score well or get many games.

Mcveigh, Hanley, Hurn, Swallow, Suckling, Mcdonald (3 premium forwards and Gray)
VS
Mcveigh, Hanley, Hurn, Grimes, Swallow, Mcdonald (3 premium forwards, Gray > Caddy)

and young DD is he in best 22, looked handy and wanted to take the game on

Who is DD?:confused: If you mean Buckley, he's not even best 30 ATM. Things could change of course with a few injuries. I liked him playing off half back, although we have like 37 creative half backs on our list already :rainbow:

Who is DD?:confused: If you mean Buckley, he's not even best 30 ATM. Things could change of course with a few injuries. I liked him playing off half back, although we have like 37 creative half backs on our list already :rainbow:
He could be good. Liked certain things, lacked composure in the middle but understanable after minimum games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cheers, every time i saw him he seemed to Duck (hence the DylanDuckley) into tackles, almost selwood like with his shoulder and head movement. I thought he looked okay but agree you do have a swag of players in front of him

Back on topic. ;)

I reckon Jack Grimes is looking like a good pick for the D4 spot in my team based on a few reasons.

1. Second year of co-captaincy now so he's had a season to get used to it.
2. Paul Roos has already turned Melbourne around and quickly as evidenced in the NAB Challenge game against Richmond
3. I reckon Grimes and all the other players really want to play for Roos so you'll see the best of players like Grimes this year
4. Is now the general down back in that SC half back/quarterback friendly role which should see him score a good amount of points consistantly
5. Has the round 10 bye which is a big plus
6. Is a great price. $436,300 is way unders for a player of Grimes talent

Locked in! :thumbsu:

You'd be better off with Paul Duffield. :thumbsu:

Opinions on Easton Wood (for D5/D6/D7 with McDonald and Laidler)?

My take:

-Should be best 22 if fully fit (Talia, Roughead, Morris, Goodes, Murphy, Wood as the back 6 I'd guess?)

-Without his injury-affected -4 game v Richmond, he would have averaged over 50 for the year, not 40

-While his scores have historically been low (52-57 range) and he also has never put a full season together, I think in an improving Dogs side (with no Robert Murphy in the short term) he can be used effectively from the HB line, and can push the average up to low-mid 60's which could net as gain of 80k or so (and then becomes a viable option to downgrade and get 150k)

-Not many other options. That's why I'm considering him. I am finding it hard to go a guns/rookies approach at the moment in the defence, with no standout rookies at that 120k-ish price range. So at the moment I have a couple of premiums, a couple of midpricers who I believe should really push up their average to 90ish, and then expensive rookies. McDonald and Laidler are locks for me at the moment in the backline. Georgiou is considered but I don't see the point in picking him up if he is not elevated to the senior list (I'm not caught up on Melbourne's injury list at the moment so hard to make a call), other than that, it's pretty bare. Brodie Martin, 30k cheaper but is he any more of an option? I certainly think Wood will have an easier time to get into and stay in the Dogs side than Martin (Smith, Reilly, Shaw, Otten) in the Crows.

Opinions on Easton Wood (for D5/D6/D7 with McDonald and Laidler)?

My take:

-Should be best 22 if fully fit (Talia, Roughead, Morris, Goodes, Murphy, Wood as the back 6 I'd guess?)

-Without his injury-affected -4 game v Richmond, he would have averaged over 50 for the year, not 40

-While his scores have historically been low (52-57 range) and he also has never put a full season together, I think in an improving Dogs side (with no Robert Murphy in the short term) he can be used effectively from the HB line, and can push the average up to low-mid 60's which could net as gain of 80k or so (and then becomes a viable option to downgrade and get 150k)

-Not many other options. That's why I'm considering him. I am finding it hard to go a guns/rookies approach at the moment in the defence, with no standout rookies at that 120k-ish price range. So at the moment I have a couple of premiums, a couple of midpricers who I believe should really push up their average to 90ish, and then expensive rookies. McDonald and Laidler are locks for me at the moment in the backline. Georgiou is considered but I don't see the point in picking him up if he is not elevated to the senior list (I'm not caught up on Melbourne's injury list at the moment so hard to make a call), other than that, it's pretty bare. Brodie Martin, 30k cheaper but is he any more of an option? I certainly think Wood will have an easier time to get into and stay in the Dogs side than Martin (Smith, Reilly, Shaw, Otten) in the Crows.
You also forgot to mention the fact that he has next to no footy smarts, is very susceptible to injuries, and is a spud. Bootsma will score better than him. Go for Shaw or Sutcliffe instead.

Looks like someone's been taking the opinion of the Herald-Sun "experts" very seriously..

Is that directed towards me? I don't read the HS. I'm not paying for a subscription to that rubbish.

You also forgot to mention the fact that he has next to no footy smarts, is very susceptible to injuries, and is a spud. Bootsma will score better than him. Go for Shaw or Sutcliffe instead.

Really? I thought he was a young, inexperienced but promising player.

Will take your word over mine though for sure, if you are saying that as a supporter of the team...

Really? I thought he was a young, inexperienced but promising player.

Will take your word over mine though for sure, if you are saying that as a supporter of the team...
I've never been a fan of his, I don't see the hype. Good athlete, had one great game against Collingwood, done nothing else. He's roughly 24-25, and played about 50 games, and I haven't seen any signs that he'll be a player for us. Others are willing to persevere, but I don't see it. Although I think the consensus will be that it's a huge risk to take him for SC, and Shaw and Sutcliffe like I mentioned are much safer bets for only 30K more.

Also, I wouldn't want to have anyone over 132K sitting on the bench, it seems like a waste of money to me. But that's just my opinion :rainbow:

I've never been a fan of his, I don't see the hype. Good athlete, had one great game against Collingwood, done nothing else. He's roughly 24-25, and played about 50 games, and I haven't seen any signs that he'll be a player for us. Others are willing to persevere, but I don't see it. Although I think the consensus will be that it's a huge risk to take him for SC, and Shaw and Sutcliffe like I mentioned are much safer bets for only 30K more.

Cheers for the feedback :thumbsu: At the moment I have picked Shaw (wary of Sutcliffe - read the Freo board before their first NAB game and the consensus was that he should have been named but wasn't for reasons unknown, so thinking about his fitness & form... I prefer to take advice from team supporters especially when I haven't seen a lot of the player i.e. Wood and Sutcliffe).

Also, I wouldn't want to have anyone over 132K sitting on the bench, it seems like a waste of money to me. But that's just my opinion :rainbow:

Definitely not the case for the rest of my team (as in, 132k and below rookies on the bench), but I just can't seem to see any worthwhile options in the defence (at the moment I have Georgiou and Laidler as my defence bench).

If I can I'll avoid Shaw and try to get a 3rd premium rather than a 2/2 premium/midpricer for my defence.

Cheers for the feedback :thumbsu: At the moment I have picked Shaw (wary of Sutcliffe - read the Freo board before their first NAB game and the consensus was that he should have been named but wasn't for reasons unknown, so thinking about his fitness & form... I prefer to take advice from team supporters especially when I haven't seen a lot of the player i.e. Wood and Sutcliffe).

Definitely not the case for the rest of my team (as in, 132k and below rookies on the bench), but I just can't seem to see any worthwhile options in the defence (at the moment I have Georgiou and Laidler as my defence bench).

If I can I'll avoid Shaw and try to get a 3rd premium rather than a 2/2 premium/midpricer for my defence.
I've also heard a bit about Shaw being the beneficiary of Henderson's injury, he could turn out to be a very astute pick, as for Sutcliffe I've just heard a few here talking him up. I would definitely trust the Freo board though.

Everybody hears you on the defence rookies, same with forward rookies. Fuller, Georgiou, Ramsay, Langdon are all options, although Fuller's no lock to play at all, I've heard Georgiou might not play much, and not sure on the Collingwood pair. Should become clearer as we get closer to round 1 though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back