List Mgmt. 2015 DRAFT discussion - Clayton Oliver #4, Sam Weideman #10, Mitch King #42, Liam Hulett #46

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is the next Jack Darling/Dustin Martin type we need to take him
Guaranteed he will be a star now if we let him slide

Darling isn't a star and Scully/Trengove were the best two players in their draft year. Can we please stop thinking we ignored Martin because he is a nuffy off the field, we ignored him because we didn't think he was a top 2 talent.

That is Sylvia-esque stupidity from Curnow. Not sure if I still want him at 7.

Darling isn't a star and Scully/Trengove were the best two players in their draft year. Can we please stop thinking we ignored Martin because he is a nuffy off the field, we ignored him because we didn't think he was a top 2 talent.

That is Sylvia-esque stupidity from Curnow. Not sure if I still want him at 7.

Scully was the most over rated number 1 pick of all time, you could see in his highlights that all he had was a better fitness base than his fellow draftees
His kicking was shithouse and wasnt a goal kicker or a good marker of the footy

Trenners was deservedly taken ahead of Martin at the time but Martin would have been overlooked by us because of his off field crap

Jack Darling slipped to 17 because of off field stuff, my point is if we overlook another talent because of his off field stuff it will be a huge mistake

Jason Taylor on draft night: "I just want to go out there and give 110% for the team."

After we draft Rohan Bail with pick 3: "Theres no doubt there is some mental scarring within the recruiting department from the Barry Prendergast era"

After we draft Rohan Bail with pick 3: "Theres no doubt there is some mental scarring within the recruiting department from the Barry Prendergast era"

There are no easy picks in this draft.

Can we please stop thinking we ignored Martin because he is a nuffy off the field, we ignored him because we didn't think he was a top 2 talent.

Well then you're thinking would be wrong.

We passed on him (Martin) because MFC could not afford a 24 hr / 7 day a week minder.

At the time we did not have a March/Cotchin/Choco combination ... all at one time or another have had a huge positive influence on the kid. I remember when he first turned up at the Tigers, very quiet, very, very introverted you could not get a sentence out of him. Today he has blossomed and you get a polite footy discussion out of him.

All credit to the Tigers for taking the punt - they were into Cunnington in a big way. But pulled the trigger on Martin because they could afford the resources to look after him 24hr / 7 days a week. Huge win for Tigers huge win for Dusty.

Well then you're thinking would be wrong.

We passed on him (Martin) because MFC could not afford a 24 hr / 7 day a week minder.

At the time we did not have a March/Cotchin/Choco combination ... all at one time or another have had a huge positive influence on the kid. I remember when he first turned up at the Tigers, very quiet, very, very introverted you could not get a sentence out of him. Today he has blossomed and you get a polite footy discussion out of him.

All credit to the Tigers for taking the punt - they were into Cunnington in a big way. But pulled the trigger on Martin because they could afford the resources to look after him 24hr / 7 days a week. Huge win for Tigers huge win for Dusty.
Cunnington is no slouch, he and Martin are about the only successes in the top 10 of that draft. Morabito and trenners get injury excuses. The rest have been pretty turd

Sorry to divert the conversation back to this years draft ...

But I was scrolling through Cal Twomey's Draft Q&A on Facebook earlier, he seems to think that Parish, Weideman or Oliver are our most likely at #3 ... he usually comes to these opinions based on both what he's seen of the players through the year and the combine, and also trying to extract rumours and innuendo from anyone in the industry who may want to spill it.

While I think he does a good job with essentially scouting all of these players and provides some really good info on them, I don't take his Phantom Draft as gospel purely from how easy can be for a club to manipulate it ... and we're in a better spot to do it than any other team, and with the most to gain. Pretty sure I (half) joked a week ago about playing some games to take Parish, get Essendon to take Weideman and Oliver and leave Drunky Drunkerton for us at 7.

http://www.sen.com.au/news/11-15/curnow-jail-stint-not-deal-breaker-anderson#WuPaXMQvwIyKQTz7.97

“It won’t change much where he goes draft-wise, he’s a pretty good kid.
“They’ll assess whether it was something out of character but I think he’s a pretty good kid that just panicked.
“Clubs like Melbourne, Essendon, Gold Coast and even Carlton will need to decide what to make of it.
“I’ve been pretty strong on him at pick three to Melbourne, that’s what I would do.
“From what I’d heard prior to this I’d heard Sam Weideman and Clayton Oliver were stronger chances to what Charlie would be at pick three.”

Interesting to read that it's apparently out of Weideman and Oliver for pick three. Wonder how good Anderson's mail is.

Oliver at three seems like it would be a huge reach. Surely Parish goes there now and Curnow slips to 7

1 - Weitering
2 - Schache
3 - Mills*
4 - Hopper*
5 - Parish
6 - Kennedy*
7 - Weideman
8 - Oliver
9 - Francis
10 - Curnow

Still Curnow for me. He's an absolute plank for doing what he did, but stick him in a car with Nate Jones to and from training for the next two years and he'll learn his lesson.

If not Curnow then Oliver. Weiderman will last till 7 so if we want him we can take him then. Personally I don't want him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.sen.com.au/news/11-15/curnow-jail-stint-not-deal-breaker-anderson#WuPaXMQvwIyKQTz7.97

“It won’t change much where he goes draft-wise, he’s a pretty good kid.
“They’ll assess whether it was something out of character but I think he’s a pretty good kid that just panicked.
“Clubs like Melbourne, Essendon, Gold Coast and even Carlton will need to decide what to make of it.
“I’ve been pretty strong on him at pick three to Melbourne, that’s what I would do.
“From what I’d heard prior to this I’d heard Sam Weideman and Clayton Oliver were stronger chances to what Charlie would be at pick three.”

Interesting to read that it's apparently out of Weideman and Oliver for pick three. Wonder how good Anderson's mail is.

It's not. Anderson has no idea when everyone else in the industry has been leaning the other way for weeks.

Have Grimes, Salem, Melksham, Bugg, Lumumbajack, Stretch and any number of resting midfielders we care to chuck on the half back flank. It's not really a position you struggle to fill. Would be nice to have another guy who kicks it like Salem in the back half, but why bother picking up Adcock for a few years as a depth player? Much rather see Stretch, Trengove, etc get the gig.
I just can't see why we would overlook Parish. Best non academy mid, we need more midfielders, literally a no brainer.
completely agree, he will also be the best available talent at pick 3 and is the type of mid we need to complete our midfield, no brainer

I just can't see why we would overlook Parish. Best non academy mid, we need more midfielders, literally a no brainer.

At first I was against Parish coz I viewed Francis as having better footskills and coz Parish is shorter he might struggle to win contests.

Now I've switched sides and am with you.

Parish is an outside player who can also win the hard ball too which is good when you think about the outside types we've drafted in the past who were soft at the ball. He may not grow much in height, but he can still get fitter, quicker, stronger and be an even better ball user.

We don't actually have that many players I'd say can kick well and always make good decisions, especially on the outside. We have Watts, but he doesn't attack the contest like Parish. Salem can but doesn't win a whole lot of ball and has missed some time through injury, though granted he is still young.

We've really focused on getting big ball winning midfielders the last few years as our base (Brayshaw, Petracca, Vandenburg etc). Now it's time we add a bit more skill and class to the other parts of our side, in particular our forward 50 entry.

Salem can play wing. Melksham you would hope can too. On the Best 22 thread most people have those guys along with Lumumba, Watts, and Vince listed on the wing. Vince is our oldest player and won't be around forever, and bar Vince, Parish could play that role better than the rest of them (or at least equal to Salem).

He has the best attitude and hunger to improve of any one of the draftees I've seen so far. There have been question marks over Weideman's work rate and hunger, while Curnow has done himself no favour with his actions today.

I hope we get Parish at 3. And if we're hell-bent on getting a forward to partner Hogan and bannish Dawes from the side, one of Curnow, Weideman or Burton will still be at 7, even though I also rate Clayton Oliver.

It's not. Anderson has no idea when everyone else in the industry has been leaning the other way for weeks.

Callum Twomey said the same thing today:

https://www.facebook.com/AFL/posts/10153297151131417

"If Parish goes to the Dee's at 3, do you think Essendon will take another midfielder like Oliver or Milera to go with Curnow or Weideman?

Not sold the Dees will take Parish at 3. Oliver and Weideman other names that keep being raised. Essendon has been strongly linked to Milera and Francis, with Weideman in that mix as well."

I could live with Oliver at 3 especially if we got Curnow at 7. I feel Essendon will take Frances with one of their picks and probably Parish if we pass, less they really want Curnow.

Ah stuff it. Pick someone. Whatever. Whatever happens happens.

Edit: for those wondering how I got to 4000 posts so fast, it's pretty much by getting these types of quality thoughts out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back