Official Club Stuff 2015 Membership Tally - Final Tally - *47305

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprise surprise, people on Facebook unhappy about auto renewal. The club really dropped the ball here and needed to be more clear on this, not to mention allow for easy online opt out. Going to generate a lot of bad will.

I don't have a problem with auto renewal, it's great for people who wish to utilize it but the club must make it so that you have to opt in to it rather than the member being automatically subjected to it and having to opt out of it. If you remember back to the Blue Believers, they did the same trick by having the blue believer option ticked off for every member automatically and making them opt out of it if they didn't want it. Essendon are doing this for the flight plan to.

Me and my Dad are concession members and every year when we get our renewal forms they have pre selected the full price membership option for us and we have to go down to the club and opt out of this and select the concession option under the guise that they have to see our concession card, meaning that you can't change your membership to concession online or over the phone because you can't show your concession card. Considering they check your concession card at the gate I don't see the need for such inconvenience. Last year they decided to auto renew my father for the full amount rather than the concession amount and he was lucky his credit card had expired so wasn't charged. I've noted that they have stopped recognizing health care cards as concession even though nearly everywhere else in Australia accepts them.

Me and my Dad have been MCC members for a few years now so our membership is just a donation anyway, but we are getting closer and closer each year to just saying stuff it and he's been a member since 1980 and me since 2000.

I don't have a problem with auto renewal, it's great for people who wish to utilize it but the club must make it so that you have to opt in to it rather than the member being automatically subjected to it and having to opt out of it. If you remember back to the Blue Believers, they did the same trick by having the blue believer option ticked off for every member automatically and making them opt out of it if they didn't want it. Essendon are doing this for the flight plan to.

Me and my Dad are concession members and every year when we get our renewal forms they have pre selected the full price membership option for us and we have to go down to the club and opt out of this and select the concession option under the guise that they have to see our concession card, meaning that you can't change your membership to concession online or over the phone because you can't show your concession card. Considering they check your concession card at the gate I don't see the need for such inconvenience. Last year they decided to auto renew my father for the full amount rather than the concession amount and he was lucky his credit card had expired so wasn't charged. I've noted that they have stopped recognizing health care cards as concession even though nearly everywhere else in Australia accepts them.

Me and my Dad have been MCC members for a few years now so our membership is just a donation anyway, but we are getting closer and closer each year to just saying stuff it and he's been a member since 1980 and me since 2000.
Hey, I have the same issue as you re:full price and having to change to concession every year. To make it easier we fix ours every year over the phone so maybe try that instead of going down to Visy every time :)

Surprise surprise, people on Facebook unhappy about auto renewal. The club really dropped the ball here and needed to be more clear on this, not to mention allow for easy online opt out. Going to generate a lot of bad will.

When they first introduced the auto-renewal some years ago it was called 'Carlton For Life'. It was designed for people like me that would undoubtedly sign up each season, removing the need do anything unless you wish to change your package. All direct debit memberships operate under this scheme.

I'm not sure how it has been handled since, but it was made abundantly clear what you were signing up for initially - automatic roll-over unless you opt out. Personally, I think it's one of the best initiatives the membership department have ever come up with.

From the membership website:

Question 1. What is the Carlton Direct?

‘Carlton Direct’ makes your membership even simpler. No renewal forms, no hassle. Just set and forget, and let your membership roll over each November. ‘Carlton Direct Monthly’ payments will be deducted in 10 equal instalments from 15 November 2014 through to 15 August 2015.

There is also a ‘Carlton Direct Upfront’ payment plan option. When it comes time to renew your membership each year we’ll simply provide you with the opportunity to confirm any changes to your membership package, advise of any pricing changes, and offer upgrade options before it automatically rolls over in a single payment into the next season. Couldn’t be easier!!

I'm not sure how it has been handled since, but it was made abundantly clear what you were signing up for initially - automatic roll-over unless you opt out. Personally, I think it's one of the best initiatives the membership department have ever come up with.

I have nothing against auto renewal (not entirely true, there's nothing automatic about it when you have to contact the club to remove the adult price and restore your concession price every year), it's just that opting out is needlessly difficult. You should be able to jump on the membership and untick a box, not take time out of your day to contact the club directly... Wastes my time and their time.

I have nothing against auto renewal (not entirely true, there's nothing automatic about it when you have to contact the club to remove the adult price and restore your concession price every year), it's just that opting out is needlessly difficult. You should be able to jump on the membership and untick a box, not take time out of your day to contact the club directly... Wastes my time and their time.

I suppose that is annoying, but I haven't faced those problems as I knew what I was getting into.

Having said that, if they didn't alter your cost each year you could get away with a concession membership until you were 50!

I suppose that is annoying, but I haven't faced those problems as I knew what I was getting into.

Having said that, if they didn't alter your cost each year you could get away with a concession membership until you were 50!

To be fair there's not a whole lot stopping you anyway at least where the club is concerned, you call them up and they alter it, I've never sent proof. More likely to have issues getting into the ground where they may check though.

There is no option at point of purchase (online) to opt out of the auto renew - this is what pisses me off. Generally I end up waiting until the first game I go to and then buy at the gate because it's less hassle than the forced inconvenience of having to contact the club to get out of a charge I never asked for. This year I bought online because I was buying gift memberships anyway - I figured if I was going to bitch about the autorenew for one membership I may as well bitch about them all.

A service is a service when it is welcome and a choice. It is an intrusion when you have to go out of your way to avoid it.

Same here. Can't recall auto renew but it does not read in letter anything apart from I am a member. No mention of choice. Anyway I was going to anyway.
Now I want to know how to vote on jumper.
I believe the auto renew is automatically set up with monthly payment method. My AFL/Carlton membership has auto renewed the last 6 years. Just signed up St kilda supporting wife as a AFL/Carlton member!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same here. Can't recall auto renew but it does not read in letter anything apart from I am a member. No mention of choice. Anyway I was going to anyway.
Now I want to know how to vote on jumper.
I spoke to AFL membership department on Monday .. If you have auto payment setup from this season it will automatically roll over on 28 Nov :)

I spoke to AFL membership department on Monday .. If you have auto payment setup from this season it will automatically roll over on 28 Nov :)

Actually, I looked back on my letter last night and see I missed there was stuff on other side of letter...lol...

It does have a section that says the following:

" Don't wish to automatically renew ?

Please select one of the options:

• I will pay in full for 2015, please opt me out of AFL Advance Easy Pay.
  • I will not be continuing my membership, please opt me out of AFL Advance Easy Pay."
and then it shows the address to return to by Wednesday 5pm November 26.

So it does have the option there. It is just done different to previous seasons where you had to opt in, rather than opt out.

Actually, I looked back on my letter last night and see I missed there was stuff on other side of letter...lol...

It does have a section that says the following:

" Don't wish to automatically renew ?

Please select one of the options:

• I will pay in full for 2015, please opt me out of AFL Advance Easy Pay.
  • I will not be continuing my membership, please opt me out of AFL Advance Easy Pay."
and then it shows the address to return to by Wednesday 5pm November 26.

So it does have the option there. It is just done different to previous seasons where you had to opt in, rather than opt out.

Spot on! :)

IMHO, personal and financial issues aside, the only way to support your club is year in, year out and, hence, auto-renewal should really never be an issue nor something to be angered by. Only my opinion.

Already 2k behind last years' tally at the same time is not good

IMHO, personal and financial issues aside, the only way to support your club is year in, year out and, hence, auto-renewal should really never be an issue nor something to be angered by. Only my opinion.

Already 2k behind last years' tally at the same time is not good

I think the autorenewal removes the opportunity to make changes though--e.g. if you want to change seats, level of membership, etc.

I think the autorenewal removes the opportunity to make changes though--e.g. if you want to change seats, level of membership, etc.

Fair enough, however I would have thought you could make changes after the auto renewal with a phone call? For instance I had my membership auto renewed last year then had it changed to an absentee membership a month later (this was an AFL membership though so not sure If that's a different story).

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff 2015 Membership Tally - Final Tally - *47305

Remove this Banner Ad

Back