B: Simpson Jamison Rowe
HB: White Jaksch Yarran
C: Everitt Gibbs Curnow(tag Ellis)
HF: Menzel Henderson Bell
F: Casboult Jones Murphy
R: Wood Cripps Judd

I: Thomas Docherty Touhy
Sub: Carazzo

Their best 22 isn't bad... The rest is shit.
potato farm

Last edited:
Blues can have their thread but ours get shut down :drunk:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...chmond-thursday-2nd-april-7-20pm-mcg.1090830/

There's people in there actually tipping Carlton :drunk:

What i want to know why my thread got merged with the 2015 best 22 thread which was started in Nov 2014...
An each round thread discusses the upcoming game based on each weeks form seniors/reserves, injuries etc
The likes of McIntosh (bad form 2014) and Lambert (not recruited as yet) hardly mentioned which obviously we know why but most posters now would have these 2 as bolters for round 1 and Vickery more so out....
Also foley, pettard and nemwan in most best 22 several months ago before foley & newmans injuries had eventuated but my thread was purely n simply about a round 1 discussion knowing what we know right now on current form, injuries etc without going through 36 pages reading bout nab challenge or best 22 for 2015, each round should have their own thread....

I guess this board start only 'one thread' at the start of the year for each game's preview and autopsy for the whole 22 weeks, oh hold on theirs one thread for each round....

What i want to know why my thread got merged with the 2015 best 22 thread which was started in Nov 2014...
An each round thread discusses the upcoming game based on each weeks form seniors/reserves, injuries etc
The likes of McIntosh (bad form 2014) and Lambert (not recruited as yet) hardly mentioned which obviously we know why but most posters now would have these 2 as bolters for round 1 and Vickery more so out....
Also foley, pettard and nemwan in most best 22 several months ago before foley & newmans injuries had eventuated but my thread was purely n simply about a round 1 discussion knowing what we know right now on current form, injuries etc without going through 36 pages reading bout nab challenge or best 22 for 2015, each round should have their own thread....

I guess this board start only 'one thread' at the start of the year for each game's preview and autopsy for the whole 22 weeks, oh hold on theirs one thread for each round....

Is Miles injured?? Didnt play NAB 3 & had 35% tog NAB 2

Is Miles injured?? Didnt play NAB 3 & had 35% tog NAB 2

The injury list got updated the other day and he isnt on it, so i suspect he was just sore and should be fine

If this is the default thread for naming our R1 sides, here's mine:

B- Batchelor Astbury Grimes
HB- Houli Rance Vlastuin
C- Ellis Martin Hunt
HF- Deledio Griffiths Riewoldt
F- Edwards Vickery Lloyd
R- Maric Cotchin Miles
I- Grigg McIntosh Lennon Sub: Conca

No Chaplin, no Morris, so it won't happen. If Dimma insists on Morris to tag Yarran, which appears a rock-solid certainty, then Conca makes way on current form. If Chaplin has to play then Batch misses out, because they're fighting for the same spot in my eyes. Gordon is the ideal sub. He can cover 10k in 30 minutes on the field. His already-tired opponent can't.

Edit: Lol, forgot Shedda and none of you noticed. Conca to sub.

Last edited:

HB- Houli Rance Vlastuin
C- Ellis Martin Hunt
F- Lennon Vickery Lloyd
R- Maric Cotchin Miles
I- Grigg McIntosh Conca Sub: Gordon

No Chaplin, no Morris, so it won't happen. If Dimma insists on Morris to tag Yarran, which appears a rock-solid certainty, then Conca makes way on current form. If Chaplin has to play then Batch misses out, because they're fighting for the same spot in my eyes. Gordon is the ideal sub. He can cover 10k in 30 minutes on the field. His already-tired opponent can't.

The Yarran match up. I would select Manadue and get him to play on him. He will keep pace with Yarran and be able to hurt him the other way as Yarran is not very defensive. Doubt it will happen though :p

HB- Houli Rance Vlastuin
C- Ellis Martin Hunt
F- Lennon Vickery Morris
R- Maric Cotchin Miles
I- Grigg McIntosh Conca Sub: Lloyd

Close to mine but I like the look of Morris this year and I think Gordon is shit.

FB: Grimes Astbury Chaplin
HB: Vlastuin Rance Houli
C: Ellis Martin Grigg
HF: Edwards Griffiths Deledio
FF: Lloyd Riewoldt Morris
Fol: Maric Cotchin Miles
Int: Conca Hunt Batchelor Lennon

Pretty much exactly my 22, with the only possible change being bringing McIntosh in and dropping Grimes or Batch. But id be happy even if that didnt happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Mcintosh is a very very good chance to play round 1

sauce some guy on sen
nsr.gif

Apparently Mcintosh is a very very good chance to play round 1

sauce some guy on sen

Get on the toshhhhh, get the **** around him!!

Felt like doing a Tigers v Blooze best 22, according to afl.com this is the blooze best lineup:

B: Zach Tuohy, Michael Jamison, Andrew Walker
HB: Chris Yarran, Sam Rowe, Simon White
C: Kade Simpson, Chris Judd, Dale Thomas
HF: Troy Menzel, Lachie Henderson, Andrejs Everitt
F: Dylan Buckley, Levi Casboult, Liam Jones
Foll: Matthew Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy
I/C: Patrick Cripps, Andrew Carrazzo, Kristian Jaksch
Sub: Sam Docherty

And, in my opinion, this is ours:

B: Jake Batchelor, David Astbury, Troy Chaplin
HB: Nick Vlaustin, Alex Rance, Bachar Houli
C: Brandon Ellis, Anthony Miles, Kamdyn McIntosh
HF: Dustin Martin, Ben Griffiths, Brett Deledio
F: Steven Morris, Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards
Foll: Ivan Maric, Trent Cotchin, Shaun Grigg
I/C: Reece Conca, Taylor Hunt, Ben Lennon
Sub: Sam Lloyd

From those best 22's, the Blooze will most likely be missing Kruezer and Walker, with us pretty much having that full list to play with (fingers crossed). Ive dropped Grimes and Vickery, but i wouldnt be surprised if either are selected come round 1. The replacements for the Blooze are likely to be Cameron Wood and Tutt as the sub with Docherty coming onto the field. On paper their best 22 isnt too bad, although i still believe ours is quite a bit better. I think where we excel when compared to them is our bottom 5-8 players, i feel as though we have a stronger bunch of fringe guys. Guys like Liam Jones and Simon White wouldnt be in our best 22 and i think thats where we are a better side. In saying all this, they have the mental edge over us and i expect that to keep it close. Still think we will get up by 4-7 goals.

B: Batchelor, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Vlastuin
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Grigg
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Edwards
F: Morris, Reiwoldt, Lloyd
R: Maric, Miles, Martin
I: Conca, Hunt, Petterd, Lennon/McIntosh/Lambert/Grimes/Vickery

B: Batchelor, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Houli, Rance, Vlastuin
C: Ellis, Cotchin, Grigg
HF: Deledio, Griffiths, Edwards
F: Morris, Reiwoldt, Lloyd
R: Maric, Miles, Martin
I: Conca, Hunt, Petterd, Lennon/McIntosh/Lambert/Grimes/Vickery

I think Grimes is a certainty. Has had a good pre season. It's whether we go tall up forward or not

My team for round 1:

B: Grimes, Astbury, Chaplin
HB: Vlastuin, Rance, Houli
C: Ellis, Martin, Grigg
HF: Knights, Griffiths, Deledio
F: Edwards, Riewoldt, Vickery
R: Maric, Miles, Cotchin
Int: Morris, Petterd, Hunt
Sub: Lennon Lloyd

EMG from: Batchelor, Lambert, McIntosh, Conca

• Opted for Grimes over Batchelor (for mine, they are fighting for the same spot and including both - next to Rance, Astbury and Chaplin would make us too tall). I think Grimes is better at playing small when needed. Could just as easily swap with Batchelor though who looks (at least off preseason form) to be a better rebounder/offers more further up the ground.
  • Asbtury to nullify Casboult. Astbury's our best lock down KPD for monster forwards and giving him a decent opponent would be a good warm up for the bigger fish to come. Also allows Rance to push up and let his rebound influence the game as well as for Chaplin to play loose/take the second KPF.
  • Have a soft spot for Chaplin (while a whipping boy for many others) - think he's at his best when helping set up/marshal the players around him. He's the experienced head down back so his composure and leadership would be a big boon (especially if Carlton kick a few successive goals later in the game...)
  • Rance - is a lock. Having Astbury and Chaplin with him would allow him to push up the ground and run off his opponent. While his disposal can be occasionally dodgy, he's more often than not pretty sound and his run and dash would be useful in helping drive the team forward.
  • Vlastuin - really loved his preseason and his physicality with his tackling. If Morris is playing further up the ground, Vlastuin's pressure and hard style should be included down back to help cover Morris' absence. Also is a safe and composed pair of hands coming out of defence.
  • Houli a lock - our best rebounding flanker so goes without question, should help drive the team forward. Potential concern is if Carlton try and put a hard lock on him which could subdue his output.
  • Ellis & Grigg on the wings. Liked what I saw from Grigg against North. If he plays the same he did on the weekend, we'll have 2 hard running players going up and down the wings, breaking lines and hopefully kicking plenty of balls towards the forwards.
  • Martin starting in the middle but resting up forward. Don't think the Blues have anyone who can play both tagger and lock down defender (and not just a defender but someone who can take on Martin who's a beast 1v1) so might need a combination to try and nullify him.
  • Knights and Deledio as the half forwards. Both classy users and can kick goals - both can also do stints in midfield (moreso Deledio who's pace and running should help us break from stoppages).
  • Griffiths as CHF. On form, has been better than Vickery and can kick them long and is starting to really use his size and body. Likely getting a lesser defender, his matchup would be pretty crucial.
  • Riewoldt will most likely get Jamison who has a reasonable record on him. Jack's had an operations free preseason so seems up and about so I'd be reasonably confident of Jack getting 3 goals or more (or helping assist quite a few).
  • Edwards I've always rated as a better forward and I think his creativity, agility and smarts around goal could be a real headache for the Blues. He's another who can spend time in midfield but also be dangerous up forward.
  • Vickery - the controversial selection but hear me out. IF the conditions are dry, I'd seriously consider taking him. He has kicked more goals against the Blues than any other team (17 in 9 - averaging nearly 2 a game. What's better, he's kicked 12 in his last 4 games kicked 4, 2, 3 and 3). The Blues would then also be forced to play Henderson (likely) as a defender to deal with our tall forward line - which also removes their most dangerous (IMO) key forward. That would then allow Rance, Astbury, Chaplin and co to likely defeat Casboult/Jones/White quite easily. If wet though, definitely opt for Griff and Jack.
  • Maric, Miles and Cotchin are all no brainers.
  • Bench is quite hard to choose from (which is good). I went with Morris (likely to probably spend time at both ends or maybe given the job of stopping Yarran), Petterd (who's a versatile player so gives us options at both ends - plus is a decent overhead mark) and Hunt (on the balance of preseason form, has done quite well. Could be utilised as a tagger if one of Murphy/Gibbs/Judd starts having too much impact or allowed to play his less restricted midfield role. Can also be sent back as a small defender if Grimes/Vlastuin/Houli are getting beaten).
  • Lloyd has looked good in the short cameos he's been given. Not sure if more game time will result in more of his efficient output but on form has done well kicking goals and seems like our best option for sub. The other option could be Lennon.
  • As much as I'd love to see K Mac get a debut in round 1, I'm not game enough to risk him in such a big game where the big crowd and occasion might daunt him. Would save it for one of the 'easier' games in the following rounds.

FB: Batchelor Astbury Chaplin

Baltchelor has been more impressive then Grimes in the NAB cup so far imo. I don't think we can afford to play both. Astbury gets a gig assuming he's fit, and Chaplin to play on the third tall

HB: Vlastuin Rance Houli

Vlastuin has been a bit underwhelming so far. The other two are obvious locks

C: Ellis Martin Grigg

Ellis picks himself on the wing. Martin looks to have improved his fitness and now might become the midfielder he always should have been. Grigg will get a game just because. Although he was good on the weekend. He may also need to play a role on Gibbs

HF: S Edwards Griffiths Deledio

Edwards and Deledio pick themselves. I like the look of Deledio forward of centre. Griff gets the nod over Vickery. We just don't play well with a 3 man tall forward line.

FF: Morris Riewoldt LLoyd

Morris will get the shutdown role. Riewoldt picks himself. LLoyd gets the spot over Gordon as we need another goal kicker.

Ruck: Maric Cotchin Miles

Easy, picks itself

Int: Conca Hunt Raffle Sub: Petterd

Conca has again been dissapointing so far, but gets a gig as he has runs on the board. Hunt needs to help out on the inside. No idea who gets the last spot. Probably raffle it between the emergencies + Lennon. I liked the look of Petterd as sub last year. He has the true grit which is valuable late in the game.

Emg: Lambert, Grimes, Vickery

Just looking at the replay of NAB 3.

My latest team is:

Hunt Astbury Chaplin

Vlastuin Rance Houli

Ellis Martin Grigg

Lennon Griffiths Knights

Lids JR Morris

Ruck: Maric Cotch Miles

Interchange: Conca Edwards Petterd Sub McIntosh

Emergency: Grimes, TV, Batchelor, Lloyd

I added Conca because his match was better v North but he still needs to improve his awareness with his opponents. Seemd to have a bit more urgency in his game.

Chaplin seemed to have lost a bit of weight so I got him as KPD cover and play 3rd tall back, so left Grimes and Batchelor out as Petterd gives me more versatility back and forward with Vastuin added support and showing strength in the contest to support Houli and others.

I included Hunt as showed a bit of experience and bit more composure than others.

Knights I included assuming fit enough to balance the side out and offer another mid option.

I thought Lennon showed enough and should only grow and improve from the experience. He is ready IMO and his kicking is a real weapon including for goal which gives the team more confidence.

I also added McIntosh as the sub. I like what I see and think he gives us something we lack and also improves our versatility. He is competitive enough and should be better for the experience growing his confidence. I like his output. He gives us needed run, size, and marking power in transition in particular

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2015 Starting 22 for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back