List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Me, I take Oliver, even if I have to package an extra pick on draft night to move up and get him.
I offer 15 and next year's second, along with 48 from this year if need be, to get down to 7-10 pick range..

I did not know there may be bidding wars at the draft. What could we get if we bid 15 and 18?

All four of those players are versatile. They can play two or more of midfield, HFF, HBF. At AFL level I don't believe Gresham will be able to play an inside role like mitchell. He will need to play the large majority of his match time outside on a wing or HFF. We have literally no one that can play mitchell's role. For example, I think Hibberd could play some similar roles to Hodge. Can't expect him to be as good but elite skills with the ability to play in the middle and off a HBF is something our team will need to replace.
Does having a ACL out 18 turn you off picking Hibberd?

No, I meant can any team aggregate picks to bid on any selection right?
No they can't. Can't blame people for getting confused as the system is incredibly complicated. If we want a player we bid an actual pick, say 15 for Dunkley. Sydney then give up points from the first pick after our pick to their last pick in the 4th round until they meet the points. Assuming they choose to do that Dunkley is officially drafted at pick 15 and we get pick 16.

What do you mean by Replacement?

Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne & Lewis...
We can't replace like for like... plus they all same paced apart from Burgers who has excel.
Hawks have faith in Howe, Langford, O'Rourke & Woodward (Expected to be re-rookied) or they wouldn't have kept them or got them in. There's one thing missing from that group which is elite skills.

I don't see much leadership there either. In those 4 players we have the elite combination of A-Grade ability and A-Grade leadership. replacing both of these components is going to be very very tough.

You've got so many ducks lined up, and chickens counted.....You're old Mac right?
You've counted Woody who has to be a huge long shot to make it now, he wasn't even getting picked when healthy.
Langford who has been out of favour because of suspect kicking skills, and no surety to get substantially better in that area.
And O'Meara, who at this stage is just a Hawthorn pipe dream that would be a very difficult get next year.
The midfield you've conjured doesn't exist and would be a looooooong leap to exist as suggested.

Me, I take Oliver, even if I have to package an extra pick on draft night to move up and get him.
I offer 15 and next year's second, along with 48 from this year if need be, to get down to 7-10 pick range.
The kid is a no miss inside mid.
Maybe never be as good as Mitch, but feel will be twice the player Langford has hopes of being.
Now, Langford alongside him would be a nice look, alongside a classy fleet footed outside young stud......but that will be an easier feat to assemble if we can get Oliver first.
How does this bit work?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't.....I was just blathering.
When I want a guy at our club, I guess I feel I can go all Star Wars and will it into being! :p

use the force, feel inside of yourself, you know it to be true... :p

did you know John Kennedy Snr taught Yoda "do or do not, there is no try"...."Dont think, Just Do"

Its pretty unlikely that we can even get close to replacing those 4 in this draft or any other to be honest without a top 10 pick.

We just have to keep picking the best blokes possible and keep trying to lure Dangerfield|JOM|Treloar-types over via trades and free agency.

There are only ever a very few Sloane|Parker|Fyfe|Mitchell|Beams type gun mids taken after the top 10-12 I think.

Further to the above, this is where most current "Absolute Gun" (IMO) midfielders have gone in their draft year:

Top 15:
Dangerfield
Pendlebury
Murphy
Judd
Hodge
Kennedy (FS)
Cotchin
Martin
Deledio
Lewis
Burgoyne
Heppell
Watson (FS)
Selwood
Treloar (Pre-selection)
Shiel (Pre-selection)
Ablett (FS)
JOM (#1 Mini Draft)
Armitage
Bontempelli
Goddard
Boak

15+:
Beams
Rockliff (PSD)
Mitchell
Sloane
Parker
Jack
Ward
Swan
Hannebury
Mundy
Fyfe
Priddis (Rookie)
Gray
Steven

Still some clear good quality after pick 15 but nowhere near the same amount despite almost 10× the amount of selections made once you include National, Preseason and Rookie drafts.

Im sure ive forgotten some obvious ones and ive classified FS/priority selections as good as a top pick in terms of access.

All in all it almost averages out to be ONE per draft period.

So we'd have done AMAZINGLY well to nail a future replacement with either pick 15 or 18 for Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell etc particularly in a weaker draft. Probably not as hard to get another Shiels-solid type though but we probably need more than his type as a replacement.

So i guess it almost HAS to be best available so that we can still get some quality.

Last edited:
use the force, feel inside of yourself, you know it to be true... :p

did you know John Kennedy Snr taught Yoda "do or do not, there is no try"...."Dont think, Just Do"

Yes but unfortunately he uttered those words during the game where the Evil Empire won in that particular trilogy.

I'm sorry but Burton brings back too many memories of Dowler & Muston. Dunkley yes,but would rather have Bonner,Oliver or Clarke.
Bonner doesn't really excite me, his Birchall like footy is the only thing I like. Oliver we can only hope he slides & I'd rather grab Dunkley over Clarke.

Just for those still keeping a little eye on Whitfield potentially becoming a future Hawk, this little snippet was from his season review the Giants posted on Twitter today...

What They Said: “This season has been a bit better because I’ve been able to string together games and found my feet and a bit of form. I’ve loved every bit of it. I love Sydney. I love the club. I’ll be here for a long time” - Lachie Whitfield.

#sadface

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back