2016 Aussie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

lol Sportsfan. Kyrgios' behaviour has been decent this year. So I don't see any reason why he shouldnt be picked.

Tomic probably doesnt want to play at the Olympics this year, isnt he scheduled to play in another tournament around that.
Yep, scheduled to play in Mexico during the Olympics. Tomic officially advised this morning he will not compete in the Olympics citing a busy schedule as the reason

Be interesting now to see who we pick to represent us in Tennis at Rio

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yep, scheduled to play in Mexico during the Olympics. Tomic officially advised this morning he will not compete in the Olympics citing a busy schedule as the reason

Be interesting now to see who we pick to represent us in Tennis at Rio

Groth might be selected

I think there is a rankings cut off and groth would not make the cut in singles.
The top 56 (as of June 6) are directly accepted but the NOC can enter players of a lower rank provided they meet the Davis/Fed Cup criteria. Millman and Groth both eligible.

What surface will they be playing on in Rio? (not that I give two hoots about tennis at the Olympics).

In other news, Groth and Millman both made it to the quarter finals in the Seoul Challenger but Millman has given his opponent, Lukas Lacko, a walkover, no idea what that is about, hopefully not an injury.

Ankle it says on the drawsheet, hopefully it's a precaution knowing that he's playing on the clay next week. And as long as it's not the shoulder.

Rio will be on a hardcourt, they're building a tennis stadium for it (I imagine they'll be chucking in clay afterwards to use for the rio event every year)

What surface will they be playing on in Rio? (not that I give two hoots about tennis at the Olympics).

In other news, Groth and Millman both made it to the quarter finals in the Seoul Challenger but Millman has given his opponent, Lukas Lacko, a walkover, no idea what that is about, hopefully not an injury.
You'd think Rio will be red clay. Hopefully Millman just has a niggle and wrapping himself in cotton wool for Roland Garros

You'd think Rio will be red clay. Hopefully Millman just has a niggle and wrapping himself in cotton wool for Roland Garros

Hope so. He is scheduled to play Geneva next week so we will see.

If Rio is on clay, was Bernie ever going to play?

Groth retires at 1-4.

Organisers will be rapt; no. 1 seed provides a walkover and no. 2 seed retires :oops: Must be something in the water not agreeing with the Aussies!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rio 2016: Kitty Chiller continues hard line on Nick Kyrgios after Bernard Tomic pulls out
Date
May 13, 2016 - 1:31PM
Bernard Tomic may be out of the Olympic picture but Australia's Chef de Mission Kitty Chiller has shown no signs of backing down to Nick Kyrgios, saying she would be 'appalled' if he threw one of his tantrums on a court in Rio.

Chiller found out about Tomic's withdrawal overnight on Thursday via the media and has yet to hear from the Queenslander, who has cited a scheduling clash with a tournament in Mexico, where he is the defending champion.

Attention now turns to Kyrgios, Australia's top-ranked male player (20) who called out Chiller on social media and virtually dared the AOC not to select him for the Rio tournament. Chiller had previously said he was 'on watch' due to his behaviour.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympic...-bernard-tomic-pulls-out-20160513-goues0.html

This Kitty person is really annoying, doesnt she have other things to do than monitor Kygrios' behavior . It's a good thing that Grant Hackett didnt qualify for the Olympics, otherwise Kitty would be fuming.

Rio 2016: Kitty Chiller continues hard line on Nick Kyrgios after Bernard Tomic pulls out
Date
May 13, 2016 - 1:31PM
Bernard Tomic may be out of the Olympic picture but Australia's Chef de Mission Kitty Chiller has shown no signs of backing down to Nick Kyrgios, saying she would be 'appalled' if he threw one of his tantrums on a court in Rio.

Chiller found out about Tomic's withdrawal overnight on Thursday via the media and has yet to hear from the Queenslander, who has cited a scheduling clash with a tournament in Mexico, where he is the defending champion.

Attention now turns to Kyrgios, Australia's top-ranked male player (20) who called out Chiller on social media and virtually dared the AOC not to select him for the Rio tournament. Chiller had previously said he was 'on watch' due to his behaviour.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympic...-bernard-tomic-pulls-out-20160513-goues0.html

This Kitty person is really annoying, doesnt she have other things to do than monitor Kygrios' behavior . It's a good thing that Grant Hackett didnt qualify for the Olympics, otherwise Kitty would be fuming.

Agree, kind of feel like Kitty is getting too hung up on who represents us in Tennis. Plenty of other sports to focus on as well

TA nailing their colours to the mast and firing a shot over Kitty Chiller's bow maybe?

Tennis Australia President, Steve Healy:

“Since the disciplinary action taken against Nick last year he’s made a concerted effort to improve his performance and behaviour, and full credit to him.

“It’s unfortunate that he’s been included unfairly in recent discussions on player behaviour that have not involved him.

“His performances this year have been markedly improved and it’s obvious he’s showing more maturity. Only world No.1 Novak Djokovic has beaten more top ten players than Nick this year.

“Nick deserves the opportunity to concentrate on his tennis without any additional distractions.”

http://www.tennis.com.au/news/2016/05/13/tennis-australia-statement-3

Do we need to select a team for doubles as well? The whole Olympic thing is shaping up as a bigger debacle than the Davis Cup :rolleyes:

Last time out it went like this:

Men's singles: Tomic, Hewitt (WC)
Women's singles: Stosur
Men's doubles: <None>
Women's doubles: Dellacqua/Stosur ; Gajdošová/Rodionova
Mixed doubles: Hewitt/Stosur

Ankle it says on the drawsheet, hopefully it's a precaution knowing that he's playing on the clay next week. And as long as it's not the shoulder.

Rio will be on a hardcourt, they're building a tennis stadium for it (I imagine they'll be chucking in clay afterwards to use for the rio event every year)

Missed this post before! That's good re Millman. Thought it may have been his ankle, noticed him favouring it in one of his matches in Busan. Yep, don't want any more shoulder problems for him.

So hard court for the Olympics, that makes more sense when you think about it.

Though does anyone care what Karl Stefonovic has to say.

"Would you care if you were 41 and worth $2 million over 3 years?"

http://www.couriermail.com.au/enter...9/news-story/a19958128155d3bb053f91f55e21cfe8

Besides, I like how Bernie takes the piss about the changing of dates from last year's Bogota event to this year's Los Cabo event especially when he would've known as early as November last year ;)

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/los-cabos-replaces-bogota-on-2016-calendar

Bernie was never, ever going to go to Rio. He was clearly ambivalent about it to the media back in January but was never going to admit his true intentions while he was still here. I thought the timing of his announcement was fair considering the recent backlash.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Aussie Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back