D1 2016 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OGGS v St Johns OC at Keysborough. 3 matches with Unders, Reserves and Seniors.

Old Caulfield reporting on their fb page that they had a massive win over Whitefriars in both the 1's and 2's, but their 19s lost, seems that Whitefriars might have a bit of talent coming through.

Round 1 Tipping

SMS to beat Whitefriars
Therry to beat Old Geelong
OM to beat NOBs
PEGS to beat Ivanhoe
Prahan to beat Old Parade

Match of the round Therry v Old Geelong.

Round 1 Tips

SMS V Whitefriars
Therry V OGGS
OM
V Nobs
Pegs V Ivanhoe
Prahran Ass V Old Parade

Ladder Positions at the end of H&A

Old Mentonians
Saint Marys
Old Geelong
Whitefriars

Therry Penola
Prahran Assumption
Old Parade
Pegs
Ivanhoe
Nobs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite having to chuck in playing duties due to work/injury, I'm keen to throw my two cents worth in once again.

Friars should consolidate this year and with a stronger front end to the season, I reckon we could finish 3rd or 4th. We have lost more experience with some retirements and a couple of overseas jaunts, but our core group from the 2013/14 under 19 team is learning the caper and should come along nicely with some consistency of training, coaching and personnel.

Not sure if we will grab the choccies this weekend, so it's more with heart than head to start, but we should win enough at Friar Park to keep the win/loss ledger in the positive.

Rd 1

Friars by 8 points
Therry by 3 goals
NOBs by 15 points
PEGs by 6 goals
OP by 17 points

Keep an eye on therry Penolas jack Elliot, young 17 year old, who's on the Calder cannons tac list, nominated therry as his club of choice after moving from the edfl. If not playing for Calder watch him as an up and young star coming through the ranks at therry, very good pick up by the club.

Top 4 to be made up of two highest finishing teams last year in D1 and two teams coming down from C. From all reports Therry have a much better team then they did last year, players have returned from overseas and injury which hurt them last year. PEGS have 7-8 players that didn't play last year back. They finished 5 th in C grade 3-4 years in a row with a similar team. You would imagine Old Geelong who were there abouts last year will be again and same with ST Mary's. Top 4 for me.
Therry
PEGS
Old Geelong
ST Mary's

Tiwi Island freakshow Gary Puruntatameri was the difference today at the postage stamp as SMS ran away from us for a well deserved victory.

At the other end a bright spark for the Friars came from Ciaran Hickey on his second year of senior footy. Both sides played up tempo exciting footy with minimal structure or defence - made for a great game to watch (even though the result sucked!).

Tiwi Island freakshow Gary Puruntatameri was the difference today at the postage stamp as SMS ran away from us for a well deserved victory.

At the other end a bright spark for the Friars came from Ciaran Hickey on his second year of senior footy. Both sides played up tempo exciting footy with minimal structure or defence - made for a great game to watch (even though the result sucked!).
What was the margin hedge?
Hoes were lucky enough to get the points over Pegs by 5 goals with the help of some straight kicking

Hoes were lucky enough to get the points over Pegs by 5 goals with the help of some straight kicking

Straight kicking very very important today Wamba - but I will take a win against a team two grades higher than us last year any day! Go Hoes!

It does not get any easier next week I see - Old Ment won by 150 points!! #toughestdrawinthecompoverthefirstfiveweeks

Chump

Over 6 goals in the end - flattered the home side a little, but not a lot. We lacked polish in our front half and once SMS got out to 4 goals up early in the last, we dropped our heads a bit.

Both sides played up tempo exciting footy with minimal structure or defence - made for a great game to watch (even though the result sucked!).

Interesting take, felt quite scrappy out on the ground. First half was a tight affair, lots of behinds etc. We edged it in the end and obviously it was round 1 but I feel like both sides will have much much better days. Having said that, you can see that Whitefriars have the potential to be thereabouts come finals if everything gels!

NOBS and OM only finished a game apart last year but NOBS are an older side. I would expect that they are unlikely to be better than they were last year. Possibly OM are better than last year and NOBS are worse. However, one swallow does not a summer make.

Some great match ups Tomorrow!

First up, last years beaten finalists SMS and Geelong bucking heads at Como park. SMS coming off a good win last week, whilst Geelong come off a loss of the narrowest of margins against Therry. Geelong had the game all but wrapped up but were overrun in the last. With a weeks fitness in the tank and back at their home patch, I think they are going to be very hard to beat. They had the better of SMS last season and I reckon they will bounce back this week with a win. OGGS by 20.

There is quite a bit of merit towards Parade's draw at Prahran last week. Prahran are a much stronger side at home. Conversely, PEGS had a disappointing result against Ivanhoe. At home, I expect Parade to win by 25.

Ivanhoe are coming off a good win but phwoah, how about Old Mentones form last week. Absolutely put NOBS to the sword. Who knows what happened there, but cant knock the convincing form. OM's to roll Ivanhoe by 40.

NOBS will need a rapid bounce back this week, and I sense they may give Prahran a good crack. As mentioned earlier, Prahran struggled away from home last year and NOBS surely cant be as bad as last weeks result. I expect a close one, but will give Prahran the nod by 12.

Whitefriars were overrun by SMS last week, but the result did flatter the latter side. For three quarters, Friars were well in the game and played some promising footy. That said, I have a feeling Therry are going to be the competitions benchmark this year, and will be an even tougher proposition than SMS last week. Friars will have a good crack, but will ultimately fall short against a strong Therry outfit. Therry by 44.

Best of luck to all!

Tipping Ladder
Bigboy2
Clutchtime 3
VAFASpectator 3
Hedgefund 2

This week:
Old Geelong
v SMS
Old Parade V PEGS
Ivanhoe
v OM