D1 2016 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Therry v PEGS a massive game this week. 3 v 4.
Same wins and similar % suggest there isn't a lot between both clubs.
Pegs took the honours at home but Therry had some guns out.
PEGS were in control early but lost there way, to come back hard and win.
Therry haven't lost many at home over past few years.
Both clubs had a lot of players leave the club in C grade and had injuries and were relegated but got a lot of those players back from 2014 to now be pushing hard in 2016 in D1.
C Bannister 61 goals
Skurrie 51 goals
Both the dominant forwards of D1.
Local derby between two neighbouring suburbs.
Playing for Sean Flaherty medal, former Therry player and current PEGS life member.
It's a big one.

The top four all have a couple of tough games left to close out the season. PEGS (Therry, SMS, OGGS), OGGS (Parade, Mentone, PEGS) seem to have their work cut out for them.

Every week crucial but Round 18 (with OGGS v PEGS and Therry v Mentone) is shaping up as a beauty with all spots potentially up for grabs.

I put " Therry " into the gps in the Land Rover and it said " out of range "?

Got a few back from the French riveria who should press for selection .

Beware the oggers !

What a clash this week at Toorak Park with the battle of the combines.

We see Prahran/Southbank/Commonwealth Bank/Stonnington/Assumption College/Lauriston/ Orrong Hotel/Armadale primary

pitted against the might of

North Old boys/St Josephs College North Melbourne/St Patricks College Ballarat/Brunswick/East Brunswick/Moreland Primary/Coburg

Oggers made short work of the so called resurgent raiders .

Georgy boy showing all and sundry who is boss!

Best of luck to OMs in finals, they showed their class, after we jumped them kicking the first 5 majors, and managed to knuckle down and get control of the game by late in the third term.

Happy that we didn't lie down but TBH the state of our club at the moment is perilous at best. Despite opening the doors with 2 x u19 teams in 2014, the flow through from the school, and particularly u19s has been poor. Now we have three teams, with two largely uncompetitive (as our reserves are last with 1 win and our unders are 2nd bottom with 2, and both have percentages you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy).

9 wins from 48 games in 2016 says it all. Hard to see the positive path from here on for my Friars.....

We may need to go backwards to move forwards (if at all).

Last edited:
Best of luck to OMs in finals, they showed their class, after we jumped them kicking the first 5 majors, and managed to knuckle down and get control of the game by late in the third term.

Happy that we didn't lie down but TBH the state of our club at the moment is perilous at best. Despite opening the doors with 2 x u19 teams in 2014, the flow through from the school, and particularly u19s has been poor. Now we have three teams, with two largely uncompetitive (as our reserves are last with 1 win and our unders are 2nd bottom with 2, and both have percentages you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy).

9 wins from 48 games in 2016 says it all. Hard to see the positive path from here on for my Friars.....

Don't despair .. In sure you will find a way to survive .

Can you explain how prahrans twos are so good ?

The positive is that Whitefriars College remains a strong football school that produces plenty of quality players. Just need to find a way to better harvest that and prevent the flow to cashed up EFL clubs. Not easy but at least the foundation is there.

The positive is that Whitefriars College remains a strong football school that produces plenty of quality players. Just need to find a way to better harvest that and prevent the flow to cashed up EFL clubs. Not easy but at least the foundation is there.

It's a bit of vicious circle out this way, as we have remained in D1 for so long now whilst clubs in the EFL around us offer cash and/or better standard footy.

Had we managed to stay in at least Premier C, maybe B, then we could argue the standard of footy is close to or better than our EFL neighbours.

So we look to build from the ground up, with Auskick and a name change to drop the Old Boys moniker to appeal to a broader community. Whether a minor change in club name brings about the change in direction/focus we need remains to be seen. At present, we look like sliding back further (a la Yarra Valley, Aquinas and Bulleen Temp).

It's a bit of vicious circle out this way, as we have remained in D1 for so long now whilst clubs in the EFL around us offer cash and/or better standard footy.

Had we managed to stay in at least Premier C, maybe B, then we could argue the standard of footy is close to or better than our EFL neighbours.

So we look to build from the ground up, with Auskick and a name change to drop the Old Boys moniker to appeal to a broader community. Whether a minor change in club name brings about the change in direction/focus we need remains to be seen. At present, we look like sliding back further (a la Yarra Valley, Aquinas and Bulleen Temp).

FWIW you guys are safe though this year by the looks of it?

Anyone shed some light on St Mary's? Huge game this week against PEGS. Missed the game first time we played they knocked PEGS off at home that game. Both teams would have changed fair bit from that clash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone shed some light on St Mary's? Huge game this week against PEGS. Missed the game first time we played they knocked PEGS off at home that game. Both teams would have changed fair bit from that clash.
Insight into SMS: They have some forwards that kick bags of goals some weeks, other weeks not so much. They have backs that defend well some weeks, not as well as others. The midfield often dominates clearances, but sometimes doesn't. They need to win this week to keep their finals hopes alive. Given the results last week they are a good chance, but maybe not so. :p

Haha very insightful! What happened to the FF from NT?
Last I heard he was injured and went back to recover. I am not 100% sure but I don't think he came back. Truth be told, as a spectator only, I think they set up better without him. I didn't see the game against Ivanhoe, but I am told the Hoes were down a few.

Insight into SMS: They have some forwards that kick bags of goals some weeks, other weeks not so much. They have backs that defend well some weeks, not as well as others. The midfield often dominates clearances, but sometimes doesn't. They need to win this week to keep their finals hopes alive. Given the results last week they are a good chance, but maybe not so. :p

Actually pretty accurate in the sense that our best is very very good and our worst is relegation worthy. We will be fired up and playing for our season on Saturday, but in games like this in the past we have served up absolute rubbish.

Actually pretty accurate in the sense that our best is very very good and our worst is relegation worthy. We will be fired up and playing for our season on Saturday, but in games like this in the past we have served up absolute rubbish.

Bang on. Hot/cold, but could win the whole thing if they make it

Off topic, but, it's been commented in the past that Brunswick/NOBSPC may break away from their relationship with NOB in order to focus more on Brunswick to ensure a strong local feeder system. I've heard rumours that SMSAFC no longer have any current players at the club that attended Salesian. I'm putting it out there if there is any worth for clubs to maintain there's relationships? Is the misconception that both these teams maybe an "old boys club" act as barrier for juniors?

Makes complete sense for the NOB aspect at least as the college doesn't exist anymore. IMO neither club presents as anything but a local suburban club with all ties to the community in the immediate surrounds. So if they drop the reference to the school, it shouldn't have any negative impact.

We are looking at becoming Whitefrairs Football Club from 2017 onwards ourselves for similar reasons.

It looks like we are getting a super tight finish in Division 1 this year. How good is the fixturing having all the top teams play each other in the final rounds as well! My tip is for the top 2 to be set after this week with Old Geelong knocking off OMs.

On another note... I think its time to start putting names up the team of the year. I'll throw in a few names who I think are locks.

Backs: Khallouf (PEGS), Massorotti (Friars), Ezard (NOBS)
Mids: Burbury (OG), Maitland (OM), Jones (Pegs), O'brien (OG), Lovell (Ivanhoe)
Fwds: Skurrie (PEGS), J Bannister (Therry), Dolan (St Marys), Wood (OG), Brown (OM), Nitas (Friars)

Very difficult job for the scribe putting the team together...Any other locks we could help him with?

Off topic, but, it's been commented in the past that Brunswick/NOBSPC may break away from their relationship with NOB in order to focus more on Brunswick to ensure a strong local feeder system. I've heard rumours that SMSAFC no longer have any current players at the club that attended Salesian. I'm putting it out there if there is any worth for clubs to maintain there's relationships? Is the misconception that both these teams maybe an "old boys club" act as barrier for juniors?
My understanding is that the last Salesian Old Boy retired at the end of last season. Although they no longer get boys from the school (I don't think football is strong at the school any more) they are unlikely to drop the name while there are old boys who still come to the games and support the club.

It looks like we are getting a super tight finish in Division 1 this year. How good is the fixturing having all the top teams play each other in the final rounds as well! My tip is for the top 2 to be set after this week with Old Geelong knocking off OMs.

On another note... I think its time to start putting names up the team of the year. I'll throw in a few names who I think are locks.

Backs: Khallouf (PEGS), Massorotti (Friars), Ezard (NOBS)
Mids: Burbury (OG), Maitland (OM), Jones (Pegs), O'brien (OG), Lovell (Ivanhoe)
Fwds: Skurrie (PEGS), J Bannister (Therry), Dolan (St Marys), Wood (OG), Brown (OM), Nitas (Friars)

Very difficult job for the scribe putting the team together...Any other locks we could help him with?
I would have Butler (SMS) at full back ahead of Massorotti. I think he has performed better against the power forwards than Massorotti has. I think Woods would also be a close thing against Lovell for the last mids spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back