Hot Topic 2016 Leadership Group - Murphy retains Captaincy

Which 5 players will form our Leadership Group?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The title of being in a leadership group won't really impact someone like Jamo or Simmo, they'll lead the group no matter what.
Not having to front as many pressers etc may allow them more time to ensure that their bodies are cherry ripe.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
I agree but doubt the extra responsibility takes up time that is of any significance. All players have to partake in a mandatory number of media gigs and other appearances like at clinics. Leadership group probably get a little more but I'd guess it was negligible.

I think we are all aware of our situation re leadership atm .
We have our man in waiting so i guess it's the logical decision for now ...
We seem to have a few good prospects for Captaincy down the line with Crippa, Doc and Weitering - which is exciting given how poor we've been in this regard in times past.

I agree but doubt the extra responsibility takes up time that is of any significance. All players have to partake in a mandatory number of media gigs and other appearances like at clinics. Leadership group probably get a little more but I'd guess it was negligible.
True, I just remember when he's dropped out of it previously the reason that he gave was to focus on getting his body right.

Malthouse was, in my view, less emphatic in his praise of Murphy as skipper, this morning than he was when he was coach of Carlton.
I am not sure if that says more about Marc than Mick. People will hold different views.
I've got my view.

I'd like to see:

Murphy & Gibbs obviously
Tuohy: I reckon he's ready to take on a stronger role at the club.
Docherty because he's clearly already a regular and is made of the right stuff and is an eloquent speaker.
Curnow: Train as I do............Simple
Ditto Murphy and Gibbs. I think Murphy was a good choice again this year. Had him down as Captain before he became so, then had me doubting him the first 2 years. However, last year he proved himself to be Captain material and really stood up in what was a a bad year for the club.

Tuohy has a calm demeanour and strength of Character that shines through. Ironically it was the recent interview with his endorsement of Murph that had me won over as a real leader now.

Doc: Really loves the club and plays for the jumper. Old Head on his young shoulders had me thinking he'd be the next Captain (and still may be an obvious choice in seasons to come) but Cripps has made him a bit less 'obvious' now.

I have Cripps in for Curnow. My reasoning is I think Cripps will be the next Captain and needs to be in the group a year or two to gain some insight into the role, naturally evolving rather then having Captaincy thrust upon him without any prior experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That doesn't necessarily mean he should be a part of the leadership group.

And it doesn't necessarily mean he shouldn't be in it.

Look leadership in the AFL has many elements - actual on field ability/form/consistency, a positive attitude on field (and off), how on manages team mates and arguably esp younger players, off field duties (like dealing with sponsors, media, coteries etc), the list no doubt goes on.

While I am sure high school footy is a LONG way off the AFL these days, I can say that when I played football in high school it was always the best player whom the team mates followed, as a leader. It was always the best player who would stand up when someone needed to stand up in games, it was always the best player who was consistent week in week out, etc etc.

Now, as I mentioned earlier there are a lot of elements that make a good leader, but I'd be surprised if being the best (and most important courtesy of his versatility) player isn't an important element.

While I have been critical of Bryce for a few things in the past, I have to admit for many, many years he has been a consistent player, a largely injury free player, a team player (being played in defence for so many years, doing run-with roles etc) and in my view is far more relaxed in front of the camera than Murphy (not that I am trying to criticise Marc too much for this). Add these to him being arguably our best and most important player. And he has taken his running to a new level this off season.

All things considered then, while I am not in the inner sanctum and therefore don't know everything, as I am sure you aren't too Jeremias, I can nonetheless see several positives that to my eye align up with leadership in football terms.

Why is Gibbs a 'certainty' for the leadership group? What leadership qualities has he displayed that make shim a better choice than a Tuohey/Simpson or even Cripps?
Man bun aside, which one of these two would you say showed the most leadership in this presser?
This is not meant as a slight on Murph, purely to highlight that Gibbs certainly has matured as a leader in the last year or so.
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2015-05-11/gibbs-says-everyone-must-take-responsibility

Do you think we need someone from the leadership group in the forward line?
I think 4-5 players is perfect and one from defense, mid and forward lines is nice, but not completely necessary.
The captain and VC are generally mids (not always, but it does seem to lean that way), so in my opinion 4 would wrap it up nicely, with one from each end of the ground. Having said that, a good candidate shouldn't be overlooked simply because you don't want two from defense, or a lesser one promoted just to cover that line.

I swear, if we don't include Doc in the leadership group, I will.....

...probably say 'I think we should have included Docherty in the group'.

Ferris: Hang on, Mini-Me! If anything should happen to you, I don't know what I would do.
[pauses]
Ferris: I'd probably move on, get another replica, but there would be a 10 minute period there where I would just be inconsolable.

And it doesn't necessarily mean he shouldn't be in it.

I agree completely. I actually do believe he'll be a part of the leadership group - I was merely playing devil's advocate in pointing out that on-field ability alone shouldn't and doesn't guarantee inclusion into the leadership group.

Sometimes it is the case, but the best players at the club are not necessarily the best leaders. There are countless cases every year of players assuming leadership positions when they aren't in the best few players at the club.

Have a look at this list from 2015 leadership groups. These players would not be considered in the top few players at their club - in fact in some cases an argument could be made for them not even being in their club's best side.

Adelaide - Nathan van Berlo
Carlton - Sam Rowe
Collingwood - Nathan Brown, Tyson Goldsack
Essendon - David Myers
Fremantle - Lee Spurr
Melbourne - Chris Dawes
North Melbourne - Sam Gibson, Jamie Macmillan
Port Adelaide - Tom Jonas, Matthew Lobbe
Richmond - Steven Morris, Troy Chaplin
St Kilda - Mav Weller
Sydney - Rhyce Shaw
Western Bulldogs - Jordan Roughead

Gibbs in all likelihood will be in the leadership group but on-field ability isn't the only thing considered when deciding who should be in there. If he's not judged to be in the best handful of leaders at the club, he shouldn't be in there no matter how good a player he is.

Man bun aside, which one of these two would you say showed the most leadership in this presser?
This is not meant as a slight on Murph, purely to highlight that Gibbs certainly has matured as a leader in the last year or so.
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2015-05-11/gibbs-says-everyone-must-take-responsibility

I am just asking the question - everyone seems to think that Murphy is a good captain - operating under difficult circumstances and Gibbs had an average year last yer due to suspension and injury and like other players - coping with the Club's poor on field form and speculation about the coach's future...etc etc etc..

I am not sure that Murph is a 'good captain' - or that B.Gibbs has any genuine leadership qualities - and yet both are apparently the only certainties to be in leadership group.

These two ( prior to Thomas's signing) were probably the two highest paid players on the list - one thing to be a very good player - and quite another to be a good leader or captain - for example I think C.Judd was a very poor captain at Carlton - in his book, he laments the lack of buy in by other players at Carlton for too many years - something we have all been aware of - but what action/influence/advice/agitation did he make to improve matters? C.Judd was a champion for sure- but clearly, by his own admission suffered the Club playing too many for too long - for themselves.

Tricky situation the Club is in - how much much expectation is warranted to be put on the same players who were leading a divided Club for how many years? Then again - if your best players aren't in the leadership group - what does that say?

i've got my fingers crossed.

Good media presence does not necessarily equate to good leadership.

Yes but it also can, and fronting the media is part of leadership in footy these days.

Seriously, I think some of you are being nit picky for the sake of it.

Any fool (not calling you a fool btw) can see what I was trying to say. We all know leaders in footy have to face the media these days, and so Bryce being more adept at it than Marc is likely a feather in Bryce's cap.

Not happy with Cripps. No more sense than Gibbs first time around. Since when does a 20 game player have any credentials to lead? Yeah yeah, lead by example - **** that. Let the player play, the star star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic 2016 Leadership Group - Murphy retains Captaincy

Back