Game Day 2016 NAB Challenge : Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

We did not really go hard at any depth players during the trade/rookie pre-season drafts this year. Fitzpatrick is the only one.

Maybe the kids are ok? I remember thinking that the cupboard was bare for a while as well before Bruest and Suckling came from no-where.

We did not really go hard at any depth players during the trade/rookie pre-season drafts this year. Fitzpatrick is the only one.

Maybe the kids are ok? I remember thinking that the cupboard was bare for a while as well before Bruest and Suckling came from no-where.
We have done a pretty decent job of keeping the kids we have considering we've won three flags with a mostly unchanged core of players, these kids know the system and whats expected and their team mates, they have mostly had a few years in the system but we've seen with Doc for example they will still need a season or two of senior footy before they really fit in.

We have to play them this year, if they go well then great, if not we've set ourselves up to be able to make a play this offseason to replenish.

Interesting times ahead

We have done a pretty decent job of keeping the kids we have considering we've won three flags with a mostly unchanged core of players, these kids know the system and whats expected and their team mates, they have mostly had a few years in the system but we've seen with Doc for example they will still need a season or two of senior footy before they really fit in.

We have to play them this year, if they go well then great, if not we've set ourselves up to be able to make a play this offseason to replenish.

Interesting times ahead

Robert Shaw did an interesting pre-season write up on us. Will have to find it. His take was if we find a gun and a couple of solid performers among our next batch we could be around for a while yet. That would have included a fit Roughy I imagine though.

Robert Shaw did an interesting pre-season write up on us. Will have to find it. His take was if we find a gun and a couple of solid performers among our next batch we could be around for a while yet. That would have included a fit Roughy I imagine though.
Howe, O'Rourke and Burton could be exactly that as a collective :)

Ceglar Langford Hartung Litherland would be seen as the 4 ins at this stage
Too early to tell I reckon. Langers has been managing a knee and might not be ready. It will be interesting over the next two games what happens with the Cegs/Fitz/BB selections, will we trial all 3? Cegs with his wrist surgery may be a bit behind as well.

I think Hartung is looking pretty good to make the team but I would expect Brand more likely to be playing in the backline than Litherland

Too early to tell I reckon. Langers has been managing a knee and might not be ready. It will be interesting over the next two games what happens with the Cegs/Fitz/BB selections, will we trial all 3? Cegs with his wrist surgery may be a bit behind as well.

I think Hartung is looking pretty good to make the team but I would expect Brand more likely to be playing in the backline than Litherland
I think langers will get a gig this week

If we say that there are four spots available i believe the following four in order will fit in our best 22:

Jon O'Rourke
Billy Hartung
Daniel Howe
Sicily
Fitzpatrick given Roughy is out and Ceglars hand is still busted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brand and Heatherly looked like a couple of solid performers on Thursday night. Next gun might be Howe, Hartung or Lovell.

I think it's more a case of no spare salary cap (despite losing Hale, Lake & Suckling).

I'm one of the ones who think our depth isn't so good. Remember we lost 3 from the premiership team, + 2 (Simpkin, Anderson) from probably our best 4-5 reserve players, so that's 5 down, add Roughy, 6 down.

Extremely unlikely the natural progression of a bunch of late 2nd, 3rd, 4th and rookie list players is going to cover that.

We need to pull one or more rabbits out of a hat or we are going backwards player wise (which is what the draft and salary cap is supposed to ensure happens).

Great discussion all, I think that's a really good look at where our list is at this year - really a "wait and see" situation with a lot of these players without much exposure.

For mine, Hartung comes in for Suckling, Fitz for hale, lithers to play as a lockdown defender on the small forwards, and O Brien for rough. I mentioned those players because they have some exposure at the top level, and Clarko will back them to "play their role", at which I think they will acquit themselves well.

However, they will probably not be as good as the players they're replacing, meaning Clarko will have his work cut out coaching the systems that enable players with their skill set to still lead to a successful season. Fair to say that we can still be up there, but imo we're more vulnerable to injuries than ever, too many inexperienced players and not enough class will mean games are lost.

I think it's more a case of no spare salary cap (despite losing Hale, Lake & Suckling).

I'm one of the ones who think our depth isn't so good. Remember we lost 3 from the premiership team, + 2 (Simpkin, Anderson) from probably our best 4-5 reserve players, so that's 5 down, add Roughy, 6 down.

Extremely unlikely the natural progression of a bunch of late 2nd, 3rd, 4th and rookie list players is going to cover that.

We need to pull one or more rabbits out of a hat or we are going backwards player wise (which is what the draft and salary cap is supposed to ensure happens).

I'm happy to wait to see the development of Howe and co.
This Forum has had pretty interesting discussions about likely champions. I can remember many posters in 2004 suggesting that the 2001 draft was a total flop: Judd was killing it while Hodge was "just another half back flanker" and Sam Mitchell seemed like a one dimensional in-and-under, without anything else to his bow.

In 2007, Roughie was a waste of a space on the list. Buddy was looking fantastic, but Roughie apparently needed to be traded or play in defence, etc, etc because he was not going to be any good; Jordan Lewis was a pretty average midfielder.

Be patient, Hawthorn supporters, we are right in it once more!

I'm happy to wait to see the development of Howe and co.
This Forum has had pretty interesting discussions about likely champions. I can remember many posters in 2004 suggesting that the 2001 draft was a total flop: Judd was killing it while Hodge was "just another half back flanker" and Sam Mitchell seemed like a one dimensional in-and-under, without anything else to his bow.

In 2007, Roughie was a waste of a space on the list. Buddy was looking fantastic, but Roughie apparently needed to be traded or play in defence, etc, etc because he was not going to be any good; Jordan Lewis was a pretty average midfielder.

Be patient, Hawthorn supporters, we are right in it once more!

If Howe/Lovell end up 80% as good as Hodge/Mitchell, we'll be laughing all the way to premiership number 20 by the time they finish playing..

Brand and Heatherly looked like a couple of solid performers on Thursday night. Next gun might be Howe, Hartung or Lovell.
Surely Billy is somewhat already on the way?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2016 NAB Challenge : Hawks v Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back